In a very old video about the PlayBook and on a podcast. Kevin mentioned typing a document and watching a video at the same time.
    Well I found out that you can.
    So here you go.

(Yes Kevin this video is dedicated to you)

Keep in mind that it is pretty bad at it(It isn't useful), but it works.
    I'm showing the potential.
    Running 1.0.7.2942
    Last edited by Deathcommand; 09-09-11 at 12:29 AM.
    09-08-11 11:30 PM
    hehe, nice find... not useful, as you state yourself, but funny.
    09-09-11 12:03 AM
    Haha. Yeah. Just showing that it is in fact possible.
    09-09-11 12:30 AM
    Nice! So if RIM can get together a split screen display option the Playbook could run it. I do use the Playbook to stream audio and/or video when I'm working on my pc as it often performs better at those functions than does the PC. Nice native BBM by the way. Where or how did you get it?
    09-09-11 10:14 AM
    Can i have your wallpaper Deathcommand?
    09-09-11 11:01 AM
    Can i have your wallpaper Deathcommand?
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12725070/Bubbles.jpg
    There You go!
    PanaSama likes this.
    09-09-11 02:23 PM
    This is fabulous! I would love to see RIM implement this.

In my case, I sometimes use the Playbook to screen film clips that I want to show my students/clients while riding transit. I usually scribble notes down on a piece of paper at the same time regarding the content of the video. This can be a hassle on a crowded bus. But if I could type notes at the same time using split screen on the Playbook, that would make it substantially easier to do.

There are a lot of possibilities for something like this. Very cool.
    09-09-11 02:57 PM
    I completely agree!!! After trying it out I thought to myself id love if I could watch videos on my tele through hdmi and check e-mails or edit docs on the playbook. Endless possibilities???????
    09-09-11 02:59 PM
    Sahweeeeet
    09-09-11 04:56 PM
    I completely agree!!! After trying it out I thought to myself id love if I could watch videos on my tele through hdmi and check e-mails or edit docs on the playbook. Endless possibilities???????
    I _THINK_ you can do that now using Presentation Mode. There is an icon in the upper left when playing a video - if connected to hdmi, I _THINK_ you can hit that icon and do other things on the pb.
    09-09-11 05:22 PM
    i love how you ended the video
    09-09-11 10:44 PM
    yep presentation mode will do that already, hit the icon and the film will go through the tv. Once its on the tv the pb will switch to a controller view which you can minimise and do what you want with without affecting the hdmi
    09-10-11 02:37 AM
    i love how you ended the video
    Lol. Thanks.
    I am not a tech blogger. I don't know I am supposed to end the video. Haha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-11 07:38 AM
    @Deathcommand. THIS IS AWESOME. Nice work. Thanks for the video. I feel honored.

Trying to duplicate it on my PlayBook, but don't seem to be able to. Showcase mode on, I'm swiping up and holding on the word app, but just doesn't seem to be keeping that app live for me to still use it. Any tips/tricks on making it work? Once I can duplicate I'm soo posting this on the blogs.

Definitely has always felt like this is doable from an OS/power perspective... RIM just needs to fix it up at UI level to do the split screen mode.

I like how you ended the video too... you could always try slapping the table too and saying deathcommand out!
    09-10-11 07:59 AM
    I got it to work but had to try a number of times. I did wonder why, if the pb allowed multitasking, why we could not, say, open four windows in each quadrant and work in one window. Maybe OS 4 or 5.

Really is a close timing issue. Start shrinking and then quickly tap in the middle of the shrinking window. I've now done it about 4 times out of 6 or 7 attempts.

One more edit: I closed the video and using the shrink/touch method was able to keep editing the text in the smaller window - obviously, not multitasking but just using the small window to continue editing.
    Last edited by F2; 09-10-11 at 10:35 AM.
    Deathcommand likes this.
    09-10-11 09:31 AM
    I still wished it worked somewhat like this:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-time-554209/
    09-10-11 11:32 AM
    @Grahamf I actually though of something like that except the opposite way for iPod.
    I like the idea.

@Kevin. I simplified a bit too much.

This has an even worse ending. Don't judge me. I don't have time to make another. haha.
    09-10-11 10:38 PM
    @DeathCommand I had it working off the first video's instruction. You did well, but a second go around never hurts to clear things up for all. If nothing else you will get better at the video portion (I hope not, they are entertaining).

Althought its already been stated as not being useful but show capability.
    I found the writing made easier with a BT keyboard, and it also clears the screen so the PB keyboard doesn't need to pop up. When it does it would cover just a bit of the video, but make it look like it is covering much more. Keeping it clear made it look better and if your eyes are still good - you can even see what your doing.

Nice find here and I sure hope RIM does something with this as it will add another great advantage over the others (think ipood 2 here).
    09-11-11 07:15 AM
    You can pinch and zoom in on the Word to go app to make the font bigger, then when you do the minimize trick, you can see the text easily when typing and watching video at the same time.
    10-12-11 01:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD