Hello, I am looking at buying my son a Tablet.At the moment he uses my iPad when he is with me,he doesnt have anything at his mums so looking for a relatively cheap Tablet that he can take home with him.
    My son is disbaled ,I mention that because, he will only ever use at the most, two apps.Youtube and whatever video player is installed.

With that in mind, the Youtube app on iPad has a nice big History button on screen ,so he can easily view previously watched videos.This is missing on Android tablets, in fact I cant even figure out how you can watch previous videos on the Android tablet app, other than in the browser.

Also, regarding video player? I have a lot of videos on my PC that are Divx/Xvid, they all play fine on my Note 10.1 .Does the Playbook play these files?

Thanks
    10-15-12 03:45 AM
    Hi. Ok firstly the youtube question - I can't see any history function in the app that is built in. However I know that when you play a video & press back after completing it normally takes you back to your search list.

Regarding the video player - Playbook is setup to play Divx and Xvid. It is especially good at mp4 videos. Some Divx do not play well with the standard player due to codecs / sound - however this is easily overcome by installing the free app QMPlayer from the App Store - which plays all of these files that I throw at it.

For a cheap, functional, easy to use tab you can't go wrong with a PB. Hope this helps
    10-15-12 04:08 AM
    The native You Tube app has a "Recent Videos" button which shows your viewing history. I can't speak to your other question.
    10-15-12 04:17 AM
    The Youtube app on the Playbook indeed does have a history button. There is, however, one annoying shortcoming related to the search function: The app will show one page of search results and as soon as you hit the "more videos" button it will scroll to the top of the page, so you have to go all the way down again.

For videos, there is a new app called KalemSoft Media Player, that plays almost everything, but the interface elements are quite small. In general I'd say your son may be better off using a bigger tablet. The Playbook's small 7" screen could needlessly frustrate him.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-15-12 04:21 AM
    Only issue with KalemSoft is that it costs. I think the OP would be thinking of a free option - same as you can easily find in IOS or Android. Not denying that Kalem is supposed to play everything you throw at it, but at 7 it is v. expensive. QMPlayer is a decent free option for Divx's that won't play natively.

As for the youtube app - didn't know that function, learn something new every day!
    10-15-12 04:31 AM
    Thank you all . Rerserved PB ,will pick up later today
    esk369 likes this.
    10-15-12 05:27 AM
    The Youtube app on the Playbook indeed does have a history button. There is, however, one annoying shortcoming related to the search function: The app will show one page of search results and as soon as you hit the "more videos" button it will scroll to the top of the page, so you have to go all the way down again.

For videos, there is a new app called KalemSoft Media Player, that plays almost everything, but the interface elements are quite small. In general I'd say your son may be better off using a bigger tablet. The Playbook's small 7" screen could needlessly frustrate him.
    This one thing that really annoys me about app world for the phones when searching for something, you get to the bottom and when it refreshes to show more it goes back to the top, very annoying.

OP hope he will love it.
    esk369 likes this.
    10-15-12 07:06 AM
    "...In general I'd say your son may be better off using a bigger tablet. The Playbook's small 7" screen could needlessly frustrate him. .."

'Seniors' reportedly (and mentioned to me by a actual enduser) enjoy using the Playbook, so imho I'm sure this form' would not deter any 7 yr old who (if not already supplied a smartphone by their legal guardian) dreams of having their friend's small(er) scrn 'smartphone' ! imho
    10-15-12 12:53 PM
    I think he would be OK with the size of the screen.He is OK with the iPad, and used to use my iPhone without a problem.
    10-15-12 04:10 PM
    I am sure you will be happy with your purchase......and pleasantly surprised. I know I was.
    10-15-12 04:32 PM
    Picked up the PB this morning and have been busy putting all of my sons video files onto it.Have only had 3 not work out of about 40 so alls good, and those 3 are being converted as we speak.I must say it is a rather nice piece of kit.I havent dug too deep, as it is a birthday present so I want it to be like new(apart from the videos).Hopefully it is as well made as it appears, feels very solid.I think he is going to be a very happy young man tomorrow.
    10-16-12 10:05 AM
    We have three children over at our house most of the time visiting with their parents. One is 4, one is 7 and the other is 9yrs old. The 7yr old is moderately autistic. What's interesting is that with an iPad2 and three PBs in the house, they fight over the PB. I won't let them use mine and my wife's is off limits due to her's being her teaching tablet. The iPad usually remains untouched by them. I think one of the reasons is that the PB is easier for them to hold and handle in their little hands. The other seems to be that they do this game thing with the PB where they open two games to full screen and they see who can play both games the best by swiping between both games at full screen. On the PB the other game will continue to run live while in the background of the other that is being played. On the iPad when you switch between two open games the one in the background pauses until brought forward again. Not as challenging to them. I can't keep up with what their doing but it's fun to watch. The autistic child is so in love with the PB that my wife and I have decided to buy him his own. That being said, I think the OP's son will be happy with a PB from what I've seen.
    10-16-12 11:56 AM
    Was my sons birthday today.He was very happy with the PB. He was YouTubing like a good 'un when I left. He just needs to get to grips with the gestures for closing and switching between apps. Im sure he will do so, he seems to have no problem when it involves something he likes like video and music
    FF22 likes this.
    10-17-12 10:16 AM