I recently treated myself to a PlayBook and am really liking it. I am having a couple of small issues though and am hoping the blackberry community can come to my aid.

1st When AppWorld wants to update an app it requests a payment method even for free apps. I dont use paypal and dont like putting my card numbers on anything connected to the internet. I can get around this issue by deleting the app and downloading it again or by refusing the upgrade. Neither of these are preferable though and I would like to tell AppWorld 'I am a cheapskate and just want free apps for now thanks!' if that is possible.

2nd I sideloaded VBAM so I can play Pokemon FireRed on my PlayBook (yes I know thats kind of a sad thing for an adult to be doing, my imaginary girlfriend already pointed that out). For some reason it has lost my saved game and ive now lost 10 hours of my life. I dont want to start a new game or play another game as I fear ill lose that also. Can anyone tell me where VBAM stores saved game files? Or offer any other advice?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, T
    10-17-12 07:13 AM
    For app world could a preloaded credit card do? I'm not sure if the accept them, you wouldn't have to put much on it. For the other I don't have a clue.
    10-17-12 07:52 AM
    The first question might actually be better answered by blackberry support. It seems silly that you have to do that for free apps.

The second answer will be, side loaded apps aren't supported by RIM. To clarify, some times they work great, some times they work a little, and other times they don't work at all. It sounds like you got it to run but not all the way.
    10-17-12 07:57 AM
    Hi, and welcome! I'm not an expert, but before more knowledgeable CB veterans comes in, you might want to try :

1) Check in Settings (the gear top right) > BlackBerry ID that everything is correct. If not, might want to connect on your PC and check your ID there

2) In AppWorld, swipe down from top bezel to get the menu, then go to "Payment option" (not sure of spelling, my playbook is not set to english, but it's the second icon, a credit card, just left of Help), go through the steps, as if you wanted to define a payment method, as far as you can without giving PayPal or Credit Card credential, just Cancel instead of Authenticate.
    Then close and relaunch AppWorld and hopefully, it might get better!
    It has helped me in the past for some errors in AppWorld, maybe worth a try here, no guaranty of result ;-)

Surely someone will come with other, maybe better solutions to try, so come back here ;-)

For the specific game I don't know, but I've experienced some sideloaded Android keep their setting even after uninstal - reinstal via DDPB. As a last step, if anything else fails, might be worth a try?

Have a nice day, enjoy your PB ;-)

PS: my BB ID has never had any payment method attached, I only use free apps, and they all update, so there's hope, it's not a "hardcoded" limitation.
    10-17-12 07:59 AM
    I recently treated myself to a PlayBook and am really liking it. I am having a couple of small issues though and am hoping the blackberry community can come to my aid.

1st When AppWorld wants to update an app it requests a payment method even for free apps. I dont use paypal and dont like putting my card numbers on anything connected to the internet. I can get around this issue by deleting the app and downloading it again or by refusing the upgrade. Neither of these are preferable though and I would like to tell AppWorld 'I am a cheapskate and just want free apps for now thanks!' if that is possible.

2nd I sideloaded VBAM so I can play Pokemon FireRed on my PlayBook (yes I know thats kind of a sad thing for an adult to be doing, my imaginary girlfriend already pointed that out). For some reason it has lost my saved game and ive now lost 10 hours of my life. I dont want to start a new game or play another game as I fear ill lose that also. Can anyone tell me where VBAM stores saved game files? Or offer any other advice?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, T
    Gee, I think I know your girlfriend...

Per playbookpa's post, sideloaded Android apps may function, but with unintended consequences. I found that the sideloaded Wall Street Journal app (Pokemon for business geeks) was retaining all its dowloaded history and pictures, even though it was supposed to be only 7-days rolling history. I discovered it by connecting my PB to my laptop, and then using Windows Explorer to view the files on the PB. You may find the Pokeman game in one of the folders, as well as where it saves games. Or, you may also find they're gone.
    10-17-12 08:46 AM
    Thanks for the help guys, ill give your recommendations a try when I get home. Will let you know how it goes.

Stephen, I wouldnt be surprised if you do, she gets around.

Cheers, T
    10-18-12 03:41 AM