The issue is not the device. It is what Rim promised and didn't deliver and worse the fuctionality they removed with their forward thinking. Now they announce Apple and Android support before supporting their own device and their customers.

The PB is a great device for me. It could be so much better. They promised it would be. It isn't. In fact it is worse for many.

Rim is the issue. If they won't do what they said they would it doesn't inspire confidence or customer loyalty. I will not support them with a new purchase.
    Right in line with you
    05-16-13 09:17 AM
    I guess I'm coming from the perspective of never having felt a sense of loyalty to any brand. I love technology, and naturally gravitate towards the devices/gadgets that work best for me. For a 7" tablet, that just happens to be a PlayBook.

Brand and company are certainly a consideration in my decisions, but companies and brands change. They come and go, with very few exceptions. Why should I feel any sense of loyalty to a brand, anyway? I guarantee you that their sense of loyalty to me extends only as far as my pocketbook.

I think some people take this stuff way too seriously.
    I don't have loyalty to any brand. What I do have is a like for brands that work as advertised behind a company that doesn't lie to string people along.
    05-16-13 09:20 AM
    The problem is that BBRY over promised and under delivered on every aspect of the Playbook. Here we are two years after the launch and BBRY occasionally says they still have great things coming for the PB still but we have yet to see anything. If it doesn't get BB10 it is a dead platform. All of the developers are going to go for the phones running BB10, not tablets running TabletOS. The web browser is in dire need of an update, and we need BB10 app support. Also the bridge to my Z10 sucks! I want the bridge to be better between two QNX devices than it was between QNX and BBOS.

I don't care if I get full BB10 with the hub, but I do expect to get BB10 browser and ability to run BB10 apps on the PlayBook. Now it looks like BBRY just strung Playbook owners along till after the BB10 phones got here in a ploy to keep devs interested in the only QNX platform they had available and so that they didn't get hammered worse by the tech blogs. Now that BB10 is out it looks like they are just going to let the Playbook die quietly and hope that people forget about it whenever they rejoin the tablet race. **** poor way to treat your customers if you ask me!
    Yep tablet are dead tech anyway, right? Now they want us all to wait again and buy their phablet. Sorry BBRY I don't want your or anyone's phablet.
    05-16-13 09:25 AM
    Yep tablet are dead tech anyway, right? Now they want us all to wait again and buy their phablet. Sorry BBRY I don't want your or anyone's phablet.
    Pasty anyone?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-16-13 09:26 AM
    Pasty anyone?
    Yes, please.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 09:47 AM
    Yes, please.
    Traditional or Cornish?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-16-13 10:06 AM
    Traditional or Cornish?
    Not sure. Maybe your version is different from grandmother's? Pie crusts with ham, potatoes and onion back to a yummy goodness?

Crap, off topic once again.
    sad_old_man and JeepBB like this.
    05-16-13 10:20 AM
    Not sure. Maybe your version is different from grandmother's? Pie crusts with ham, potatoes and onion back to a yummy goodness?

Crap, off topic once again.
    What could be more topical (it could be worse) than being given the wrong pasty?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-16-13 10:25 AM
    What could be more topical (it could be worse) than being given the wrong pasty?
    Good point
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 10:46 AM
    Good point
    At last a decision. You want the traditional pasty with the pointy ends and not the Cornish one with roundy ends.
    05-16-13 10:52 AM
    I don't have loyalty to any brand. What I do have is a like for brands that work as advertised behind a company that doesn't lie to string people along.
    Then by all means seek out the brand(s) that meet(s) your criteria.

I don't buy products based on promises or advertising, I buy them based on what they can do. The PlayBook can still do a lot.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-16-13 12:19 PM
    Traditional or Cornish?
    I can't possibly trust google on such a taste, culinary matter - what is the difference?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 12:24 PM
    Personally speaking, the 64gb PlayBook I bought for �80 does exactly what I need it to do. I'm not very interested in games, which is probably just as well after the balls up that is Ice Age Village, it has a decent, if not well above average, native web browser and email app and the keyboard is outstanding Sideloaded Kindle works very well for reading books and I can play movies, tv shows and music. Other than that, I don't see what else I would need it for. Maybe an oversized remote control for my tv and home cinema pc?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 01:27 PM
    What exactly did RIM promise and not deliver? The only two quotes I remember from the company were, "sometime after the release of BB10 phones" and " before the end of the year".
    I would have liked to have a better browser by now but I don't see a broken promise just yet.
    That is certainly a valid point. RIM haven't broken their promises (yet) but I, and I suspect many others, feel that it's just a matter of time before they do.

Maybe I'm reading too much into your wording, but the "I don't see a broken promise just yet" ending you've used doesn't come across as a ringing endorsement of confidence in RIM's promises being met.

As has been said in other threads, all Thor had to say in answer to the "BB10 on PB" question was "We stand by our previous statement... BB10 will be released for all Playbooks by the end of the year..." but instead he ducked the question. And, from what I've read, BB-Live was notable for PB invisibility. RIM's only tablet, with several million owners, and nary a mention.

I don't believe you need to be too slick at reading between the lines to see how this is likely to unfold, but I'll concede that RIM do indeed have 7 months before they can definitely be called out as liars.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 02:11 PM
    Then by all means seek out the brand(s) that meet(s) your criteria.

I don't buy products based on promises or advertising, I buy them based on what they can do. The PlayBook can still do a lot.
    "I don't buy products based on promises or advertising, I buy them based on what they can do".

Please forgive someone as stupid as I am but if you don't initially believe the advertising, how do you firstly, know that the product exists and secondly decide that you would like further information? Also, how do you know what the product does unless you either use it extensively or believe the advertising blurb?

I'd just like to know so that I can become cleverer!
    05-16-13 02:33 PM
    100% agree. I will not waste my money again on this company.
    05-16-13 02:41 PM
    That is certainly a valid point. RIM haven't broken their promises (yet) but I, and I suspect many others, feel that it's just a matter of time before they do.
    They may break that promise but I won't blast them for it until they do.

I don't believe they mentioned the PB at the last event either. And yes, I think it is bad business to keep quiet on the subject.

It's odd that I keep reading RIM over promises and but at the same time all the complaints of non communication.
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    05-16-13 02:53 PM
    I can't possibly trust google on such a taste, culinary matter - what is the difference?
    Attached Thumbnails It could be worse...-255370r.jpg   It could be worse...-cornish-pasty-007.jpg  
    05-16-13 03:15 PM
    is the traditional one made with chip bits and ciggie butts?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 03:18 PM
    is the traditional one made with chip bits and ciggie butts?
    The traditional one is the pointy type one and the Cornish is the roundy type one.
    05-16-13 03:23 PM
    Right in line with you
    I hope you were not talking about those monkeys and what they were doing!!!!!!!!!
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 03:28 PM
    The traditional one is the pointy type one and the Cornish is the roundy type one.
    Yes, that's also my understanding.

Where I grew up (Devon), the pasty shops sold the fatter "crimped over the top" style. The strange folk over the other side of the Tamar river in Cornwall had their pasties with the "crimped along one edge and flat" look. Meat, potatoes, swede, onions and peppery seasoning were the contents of both if I recall.

Whether it's true I don't know, but the Cornish style apparently came about so tin miners could use the heavily crimped edge as a handle, eat the pasty, throw away the crust, and live a bit longer because of all the tin ore dust they didn't eat.

Hmmmm... Strangely, I'm feeling a little peckish now...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-16-13 04:03 PM
    Yes, that's also my understanding.

Where I grew up (Devon), the pasty shops sold the fatter "crimped over the top" style. The strange folk over the other side of the Tamar river in Cornwall had their pasties with the "crimped along one edge and flat" look. Meat, potatoes, swede, onions and peppery seasoning were the contents of both if I recall.

Whether it's true I don't know, but the Cornish style apparently came about so tin miners could use the heavily crimped edge as a handle, eat the pasty, throw away the crust, and live a bit longer because of all the tin ore dust they didn't eat.

Hmmmm... Strangely, I'm feeling a little peckish now...
    Pssssssttt........ the roundy type flat one fits in your pocket better as well.
    05-16-13 04:17 PM
    "I don't buy products based on promises or advertising, I buy them based on what they can do".

Please forgive someone as stupid as I am but if you don't initially believe the advertising, how do you firstly, know that the product exists and secondly decide that you would like further information? Also, how do you know what the product does unless you either use it extensively or believe the advertising blurb?

I'd just like to know so that I can become cleverer!
    News. Reviews. Display models.
    05-16-13 05:02 PM
    News. Reviews. Display models.
    And you still bought bb?
    05-16-13 05:13 PM
65 123