Windows RT, anyone?

Chin up, PlayBook fans! It's a very well engineered device that in spite of suffering from ridiculously awful implementation and support from the company that made it, still has some great features that no other tablet has 2+ years later. It's still one of the best 7" tablets out there, even without a BB10 update.
    05-15-13 10:21 AM
    The issue is not the device. It is what Rim promised and didn't deliver and worse the fuctionality they removed with their forward thinking. Now they announce Apple and Android support before supporting their own device and their customers.

The PB is a great device for me. It could be so much better. They promised it would be. It isn't. In fact it is worse for many.

Rim is the issue. If they won't do what they said they would it doesn't inspire confidence or customer loyalty. I will not support them with a new purchase.
    FF22, kbz1960, JeepBB and 4 others like this.
    05-15-13 10:50 AM
    I guess I'm coming from the perspective of never having felt a sense of loyalty to any brand. I love technology, and naturally gravitate towards the devices/gadgets that work best for me. For a 7" tablet, that just happens to be a PlayBook.

Brand and company are certainly a consideration in my decisions, but companies and brands change. They come and go, with very few exceptions. Why should I feel any sense of loyalty to a brand, anyway? I guarantee you that their sense of loyalty to me extends only as far as my pocketbook.

I think some people take this stuff way too seriously.
    05-15-13 11:10 AM
    I think it has to do more with saying one thing to get interest and market share and doing something else once they suck you in. Think bait and switch tactics. That to me is more of a credibility issue and not a brand issue.

I don't care so much about brand, I mean if I end up ditching BlackBerry, I'll go Android because I believe it has more openness and future than Apple's much more closed and regulated structure. That is the only reason I don't buy Apple stuff because their hardware always kicks @ss. I don't like to be spoon fed what someone else thinks is good for me to eat. I like choice and I make mine after doing my own research usually. I believe BlackBerry gave me the user experience I was used to with the BlackBerry Torch and PlayBook coming from the HP TouchPad realm (I also almost bought a Pre3 vertical slider - thank goodness I didn't). Swiping, gestures, multi-tasking...the stuff I think touch devices SHOULD ALL DO. Poking around on an iPad is a very bad UI experience once you try them after using webOS and the PlayBook OS. It's like nails on a chalk board irritating.

I don't have much experience yet with Android but I see all the buttons they have in their UI as still being clunky and not well thought out. I am lucky though as I do have a TouchPad and I will be able to put Android on it to get some experience with the OS. I have just been putting it off in hopes of BlackBerry updating the PlayBook. Now that I feel getting BB 10 on the PlayBook will not happen, I am very much more tempted to learn about Android. I now do not trust BlackBerry (RIM) as a company any longer. I think it's time to go play in another garden. I don't believe the pasture is greener...it's just got more support than RIM can offer me with its ecosystem. I don't trust Google much either since they pretty much sell your data and usage patterns to anyone who will pay them...but I don't trust Apple either. I DID trust BlackBerry and it looks like I was wrong once more. HP screwed me and now BlackBerry too. At least I know Google is screwing me right from the first time I sign up with an account...LOL!
    taz323, JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    05-15-13 11:25 AM
    I think it has to do more with saying one thing to get interest and market share and doing something else once they suck you in. Think bait and switch tactics. That to me is more of a credibility issue and not a brand issue.
    It can certainly be viewed that way. And maybe you're right and this was their intention all along. Or maybe they're trying to reinvent themselves as a company and brand and things have changed. Whatever the reason, it's out of our control. And I refuse to waste time and energy fretting over things that are out of my control.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-15-13 11:36 AM
    It is what Rim promised and didn't deliver
    What exactly did RIM promise and not deliver? The only two quotes I remember from the company were, "sometime after the release of BB10 phones" and " before the end of the year".
    I would have liked to have a better browser by now but I don't see a broken promise just yet.
    Angus_CB likes this.
    05-15-13 11:42 AM
    How about rolling updates, BBM that is not an android port, bridge, bridge, bridge, an updated android and flash support.

To hell with Bb10. where's the fully functioning PB OS?
    sad_old_man and kbz1960 like this.
    05-15-13 12:49 PM
    and fully functional email
    05-15-13 12:51 PM
    The problem is that BBRY over promised and under delivered on every aspect of the Playbook. Here we are two years after the launch and BBRY occasionally says they still have great things coming for the PB still but we have yet to see anything. If it doesn't get BB10 it is a dead platform. All of the developers are going to go for the phones running BB10, not tablets running TabletOS. The web browser is in dire need of an update, and we need BB10 app support. Also the bridge to my Z10 sucks! I want the bridge to be better between two QNX devices than it was between QNX and BBOS.

I don't care if I get full BB10 with the hub, but I do expect to get BB10 browser and ability to run BB10 apps on the PlayBook. Now it looks like BBRY just strung Playbook owners along till after the BB10 phones got here in a ploy to keep devs interested in the only QNX platform they had available and so that they didn't get hammered worse by the tech blogs. Now that BB10 is out it looks like they are just going to let the Playbook die quietly and hope that people forget about it whenever they rejoin the tablet race. **** poor way to treat your customers if you ask me!
    05-15-13 01:18 PM
    The issue is not the device. It is what Rim promised and didn't deliver and worse the fuctionality they removed with their forward thinking. Now they announce Apple and Android support before supporting their own device and their customers.

The PB is a great device for me. It could be so much better. They promised it would be. It isn't. In fact it is worse for many.

Rim is the issue. If they won't do what they said they would it doesn't inspire confidence or customer loyalty. I will not support them with a new purchase.
    Your whole answer hits directly at the truth. Does anyone else in the market attempt to make their product run apps from their rival's. Short answer 'NO'.

Just take a look at the Playbook's file structure! It looks something like a drunk threw up on a bad Friday night out. The reason I received for this abortion was to enable it to run android apps because they look in specific locations for file directories.

Ok the the options in my world are simple.

Option 1. Make a blackberry tablet and focus on making the OS and core functions work perfectly and win customers by letting them see how good a blackberry tablet is and not get them to buy it because it will run android apps as well as blackberry apps.

Option 2. If you are insistent on taking this suicidal course of action and advertise the tablet as being capable of running both os apps, at least give the customer the ability to directly download android apps and not have to start sideloading them. Better still tell the customer to buy an android tablet!

Option 3. Convinced that you are still suicidal, ask your coders to utilise the same directory structure as android so that playbook owners like myself may be capable of understanding the inherent mess that is the existing file structure.

Option 4. Continue to bury your head in the sand ignoring your customer base, whilst you restructure the company into something that your competitors will be interested in taking over.

Sorry forget option 4. because that's exactly what Thor is doing right now!
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-15-13 01:21 PM
    How about rolling updates, BBM that is not an android port, bridge, bridge, bridge, an updated android and flash support.

To hell with Bb10. where's the fully functioning PB OS?
    Those are all things you want and nothing that was "promised". I understand being annoyed at the slow progression but let's not make things up.

Fully functioning is a matter of opinion.
    05-15-13 01:58 PM
    regular updates weren't promised? Flash support wasn't promised after Adobe confirmed they wouldn't continue suppprt? BBM and full bridge wasn't promised, although they did get most of they way there before they stepped on their peckers with their future of mobile computing.

Granted ongoing or updated android runtime support was assumed when they opted to cave and add it to OS2 rather than develop for themselves. That one is on me.

Perhaps I expect the company to stand behind their products and statements regardless of what muppet is speaking at the time or whether they want to rename sesame street to pumpernickle square.

Please don't suggest they didn't market these features and functions
    Last edited by Cynycl; 05-15-13 at 02:36 PM.
    05-15-13 02:11 PM
    It could indeed be worse. You could have lined up on release day 2 years ago and paid full price for one of these like I did
    sad_old_man and Cynycl like this.
    05-15-13 02:38 PM
    regular updates weren't promised? Flash support wasn't promised after Adobe confirmed they wouldn't continue suppprt? BBM and full bridge wasn't promised, although they did get most of they way there before they stepped on their peckers with their future of mobile computing.
    Define regular updates. The PB has had many. Someone listed them not too long ago.
    I haven't had any issues with the flash sites I visit.
    What's full bridge? If you're talking about the 1/2 bridge then no, it was never promised that full features would move to the new OS. That sometimes happens when you change devices. It sucks for those that assumed and I can understand the frustration.

RIM certainly deserves some criticism but this mantra of broken promises unwarranted.
    They made a commitment to get email on the PB in 60 days and didn't. That's the only instance in which they broke a promise. I believe the embarrasment of that situation is the reason they don't make a promises now.
    05-15-13 03:15 PM
    It could indeed be worse. You could have lined up on release day 2 years ago and paid full price for one of these like I did
    Lined up? I was the only one there when I got mine. Was there a line when you got yours?
    sad_old_man and Angus_CB like this.
    05-15-13 03:18 PM
    Lined up? I was the only one there when I got mine. Was there a line when you got yours?
    That's the best post of the day.

thanks for that
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-15-13 03:24 PM
    Define regular updates. The PB has had many. Someone listed them not too long ago.
    I haven't had any issues with the flash sites I visit.
    What's full bridge? If you're talking about the 1/2 bridge then no, it was never promised that full features would move to the new OS. That sometimes happens when you change devices. It sucks for those that assumed and I can understand the frustration.

RIM certainly deserves some criticism but this mantra of broken promises unwarranted.
    They made a commitment to get email on the PB in 60 days and didn't. That's the only instance in which they broke a promise. I believe the embarrasment of that situation is the reason they don't make a promises now.
    We'll there's where our uses, expectations and memories of what was to come diverge. Fair enough.

I'm still happy with my device but no longer willing to excuse RIM as a company for the future. In my mind they have how you say............. pissed on my head and tried to tell me it was rain.

Homey don't play dat.

:banghead:
    sad_old_man, kbz1960 and Tazos like this.
    05-15-13 03:36 PM
    What exactly did RIM promise and not deliver? The only two quotes I remember from the company were, "sometime after the release of BB10 phones" and " before the end of the year".
    I would have liked to have a better browser by now but I don't see a broken promise just yet.
    Thorsten Heins stated the following on January 30, 2013 in an interview with CNBC (check from 6:40 to 6:55 in the video linked below)...

We will continue to be in the tablet market. Making money with a tablet is difficult. We will provide BlackBerry 10 software updates for all of the PlayBooks that are out there. So, the wifi and the 4G versions, they will all be upgraded to BlackBerry 10.

http://media.cnbc.com/i/CNBC/compone...bcplayershare/

If embedded video doesn't work (click the link above) or click below and scroll down to where the video is embedded...

Thorsten Heins Confirms That All Existing PlayBook Tablets Will Get BlackBerry 10 Software Updates - BerryReview

I hope BlackBerry follows through on Thor's statement. It's 3� months later and I would like to have an updated Playbook running BB10 with a proper bridge between my Z10 and my Playbook.

Cheers,

Marc
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-15-13 04:19 PM
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong about all the broken promises I keep reading about on this site. I choose to base my expectations on what the company says. Maybe I should be pissed off too. I'm starting to feel left out.

I will say the silence is starting to bother me a bit. Not because I need an update but because I just want to know what the plans are with the PlayBook and more importantly bridge. I'm sure there are some that are waiting on the news and update to decide if they want to jump ship and they deserve an answer.

Even with the half bridge I will move to a BB10 phone, Q10 most likely, sometime in the future. This weekend I had the opportunity to spend time with a HTCone and windows phone. Neither are what I need in a phone and neither will bring back any bridge functions.
    05-15-13 04:28 PM
    [QUOTE=Chaddface;8487857]Maybe I should be pissed off too. I'm starting to feel left out./QUOTE]

There's lots of room, jump aboard. Rim needs to know about the level of discontent in their user base.

Perhaps enough unrest can convince them to sell off the PB and let someone else have a go at it. Better than what they seem to be doing.....or not doing with it themselves.

I've realized my frustration stems from their lack of recognition in how good a product they actually have.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-15-13 04:36 PM
    [QUOTE=Cynycl;8487907]
    Maybe I should be pissed off too. I'm starting to feel left out./QUOTE]

There's lots of room, jump aboard. Rim needs to know about the level of discontent in their user base.

Perhaps enough unrest can convince them to sell off the PB and let someone else have a go at it.
    A charitable thought but so far, I've seen absolutely no indication that they give a rosy-red-rat's-rectum about PB users. Just MNHO....
    Cynycl, sad_old_man and Tazos like this.
    05-15-13 04:55 PM
    What playbook users? We have bb10 and our phones released now. Those beta sheep go to h3ll now.

Soon, someday, 3rd quarter, delay delay stall stall. Just disappoint everyone and announce you killed it off and nothing is coming for it.

Give everyone root access that's wants it and say ya well we farked up. A name change doesn't matter at the end of the day it's the same old rim that gave their customers the big f you! Loyalty only lasts so long.

Think they will buy blackberry again? Think again!
    Tazos and kbz1960 like this.
    05-15-13 05:00 PM
    Thorsten, have you seen my PlayBook?

I mean, they were called RIM for a reason...
    Attachment 162039
    Last edited by chaosdivine; 05-15-13 at 08:44 PM.
    sad_old_man, kbz1960 and h20work like this.
    05-15-13 08:33 PM

Attachment 162039
    Right on the mark.
    05-15-13 10:28 PM

Attachment 162039
    He's actually looking for my Z10!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-16-13 09:10 AM
65 123