Just read the following article on ZDNet "Microsoft engineer discovers Android spam botnet
    Summary: A Microsoft engineer has discovered and identified an Android botnet that is sending out spam on an industrial and international scale. Please only install Android apps that you trust."

Microsoft engineer discovers Android spam botnet | ZDNet

So hears my question... Could ported or sideloaded Android apps cause these same spam problems for PlayBook users?

What are your thoughts on this subject?
    07-05-12 01:36 PM
    No. Security and the way bb's are the viri and malware won't effect it. Also the bad guys aren't targeting RIM products just like they ever use to with apple desktop products. Not enough market share to bother with.
    Puddin13 likes this.
    07-05-12 02:43 PM
    No. Security and the way bb's are the viri and malware won't effect it. Also the bad guys aren't targeting RIM products just like they ever use to with apple desktop products. Not enough market share to bother with.
    So does anyone know if ported Android apps are vetted before they're made available on App World for PlayBook?
    07-05-12 03:41 PM
    I would think ones from app world are but sideloaded? Android apps also run in a sandbox so can't effect the system. If they can do their thing from the sandbox I don't know.
    07-05-12 03:58 PM
    I would think ones from app world are but sideloaded? Android apps also run in a sandbox so can't effect the system. If they can do their thing from the sandbox I don't know.
    Thanks for your reply. That's what I was getting at...

Does anyone from CrackBerry, App World or RIM even know if Blackberry PlayBook users who download the ported Android apps from App World are being compromised by any of the Android apps mentioned in the linked article I posted at the beginning of this thread?

The reason I ask is the fact that so many Android apps were suddenly available as if a floodgate had been opened.

Did anyone have or take the time to check each of them out before approving them or were ported Android apps just checked to make sure they would run properly on PlayBook?
    07-05-12 06:14 PM
    Just read the following article on ZDNet "Microsoft engineer discovers Android spam botnet
    Summary: A Microsoft engineer has discovered and identified an Android botnet that is sending out spam on an industrial and international scale. Please only install Android apps that you trust."

Microsoft engineer discovers Android spam botnet | ZDNet

So hears my question... Could ported or sideloaded Android apps cause these same spam problems for PlayBook users?

What are your thoughts on this subject?
    Appworld is already full of Android spam
    07-05-12 06:23 PM
    FWIW, if you read the update linked to in the article, Google claims that the spam is being sent from infected PCs and are disguised to appear like their coming from android devices. So, the plot thickens.
    07-05-12 06:29 PM
    FWIW, if you read the update linked to in the article, Google claims that the spam is being sent from infected PCs and are disguised to appear like their coming from android devices. So, the plot thickens.
    Google lawyers made them say that.
    07-05-12 09:56 PM
    Yeah... the discoverers just backtracked. LOL.
    07-05-12 10:08 PM
    Another article on this subject. This one from Digital Forensic Investigator:

DFI News | Digital Forensic Investigator

Look for article: Android Spam Botnet
    07-09-12 12:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD