Still down in the UK as of 10am gmt
    Last edited by mattdev; 02-05-12 at 05:08 AM.
    02-05-12 04:36 AM
    Sorry all just back on the forum. RIM confirmed to me that the servers were down yesterday and asked that I try again this morning. Still no joy I'm afraid, I have sent a message off to their support team but no response as yet though they may be very busy? Perhaps they are releasing a full version of OS 2? Anyway all we can do is wait for now. If anyone gets any more information please let me know. Have a good day all,

Alexx
    02-05-12 06:03 AM
    They for sure prepare their servers for both OS2 launch and huge (say A. Saunders) number of applications being sent. This means they probably have to grow their infrastructure and do some maintenance on their servers ...
    Sorry for those who can't connect yet.

BTW: any follow-up will be appreciated: have you been able to install/upgrade now ?
    02-05-12 06:36 AM
    Still no install on mine I'm afraid. Dying to get it up and running! As I mentioned I contacted support but they haven't come back to me as yet,

Alex
    Superfly_FR and mattdev like this.
    02-05-12 06:41 AM

i really think RIm should be way past this level by now. I have not been able to activate my pb since i got it yesterday. thanks to this threadm i was begining to think there was something wrong with all the wi-fi in nigeria. please when will the servers be up, i still can't connect to the update server (3000, and 2032). Abeg RIM come to our rescue, we spent some cool dough getting this gadget, guess the dissappointment comes with the package. On what number can i reach the tech guys???
    02-05-12 09:29 AM
    Still no change in the UK
    02-05-12 10:06 AM
    Fingers crossed, it now appears to be downloading
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-05-12 10:42 AM
    I'll cross my fingers too.
    02-05-12 10:43 AM
    Bought my Playbook on Friday and like all other owners couldn't wait to get it up and running. However, like a lot of other people cannot use it due to unknown problem, although the rumours are the servers have gone down. I contacted customer support who tried to assist but failed miserably and promised to ring me back with an answer to my problem or an update. Still waiting!!!!!!!!
    If this problem was due to the servers being down why didn't someone just say that. I am pretty sure with the updates being due customers would have accepted that. Very frustrating, especially when I am thinking of buying a Blackberry phone next month.
    I had a few issues with HTC when I bought the Desire but they quicky sorted that and sent me a new phone within two days, with a full explanation and an apology.
    I wait with baited breath.
    02-05-12 12:27 PM
    18:30 hrs 5th February 2012 (GMT) and still cannot connect to the update server
    02-05-12 12:29 PM
    are the servers up now?
    02-05-12 12:32 PM
    I had trouble getting the update as well on my brand new PB. I thought it was broken....

I still can't get OS 2.0 beta. I need it to get my app out next week, but oh well <_<
    02-05-12 12:43 PM

i really think RIm should be way past this level by now. I have not been able to activate my pb since i got it yesterday. thanks to this threadm i was begining to think there was something wrong with all the wi-fi in nigeria. please when will the servers be up, i still can't connect to the update server (3000, and 2032). Abeg RIM come to our rescue, we spent some cool dough getting this gadget, guess the dissappointment comes with the package. On what number can i reach the tech guys???
    I only have these phone numbers for support... hope this helps!

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    UK: 0-800-096-2805
    Twitter: @BlackberryHelp
    Email: [email protected]
    02-05-12 12:57 PM
    I think the update server may have been down for awhile as i have heard of others having this issue.
    02-05-12 12:58 PM
    hello any news for playbook users who are yet to activate their playbooks?
    02-05-12 01:01 PM
    Phil, are you in the UK? My dad managed to get the new PB working at about 5pm over wifi through Virgin Media.

He did a hardware reset first.
    Phil_G likes this.
    02-05-12 01:04 PM
    I think the update server may have been down for awhile as i have heard of others having this issue.
    In prep for 2.0 most likely.
    02-05-12 01:05 PM
    Phil, are you in the UK? My dad managed to get the new PB working at about 5pm over wifi through Virgin Media.

He did a hardware reset first.
    Yes I am in the UK. I contacted the Customer Support yesterday and they could not give me an explanation and I am still awaiting a call from them. I have tried a hardware reset etc but no joy.
    I have within the last hour had a reply by e mail from RIM: Quote "We have indication that the situation should have been resolved by now". and asked if I had been able to upate. I have not and sent off a very curt e mail. Will wait until tomorrow and if I have not been able to get this thing sorted I will e mail them asking to phone me.
    Good Luck
    02-05-12 01:32 PM
    Try reset your router and wait a few minutes then run the update. Just to eliminate router issue.
    Phil_G likes this.
    02-05-12 02:40 PM
    Update server was down yesterday for maintenance... should be all fine now.
    02-05-12 02:42 PM
    Try reset your router and wait a few minutes then run the update. Just to eliminate router issue.
    Auditman, thanks for the suggestion but I have also tried resetting the router. Will have to persevere and keep my fingers crossed but as yet (21:55 hrs (GMT)) I still can't get access to the update server.
    02-05-12 03:57 PM
    Phil, please try the following;

Turn off the Playbook and turn it back on.
    Start your computer and start BlackBerry Device Manager. If you've not already installed it you can download it from BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC
    Plug in the Playbook and wait for it to recognise.
    Device Manager will say something like "cannot connect" but will then give you the option to download the update.
    Update should hopefully begin.

This is what my father did this afternoon at about 5pm, after 28hrs of trying.

I know it's frustrating mate, but once it's working you're going to be so happy with it!
    02-05-12 04:17 PM
    I was able to update late yesterday. But this is totally unacceptable for company like RIM especially if their target customers are corporations. They should have multiple servers around the world that they should switch to when carrying out maintenance of servers in one part of the world the server in other parts of the world should take over. Its called tiered maintenance.

They already have one foot in the grave and if they think that this is acceptable then their fate will be sealed.
    02-05-12 04:39 PM
    Phil, please try the following;

Turn off the Playbook and turn it back on.
    Start your computer and start BlackBerry Device Manager. If you've not already installed it you can download it from BlackBerry - Desktop Software for PC
    Plug in the Playbook and wait for it to recognise.
    Device Manager will say something like "cannot connect" but will then give you the option to download the update.
    Update should hopefully begin.

This is what my father did this afternoon at about 5pm, after 28hrs of trying.

I know it's frustrating mate, but once it's working you're going to be so happy with it!
    Mattdev, thanks for the tip, however this does not work either. The DM does not even recognise the connection. Have arranged for RIM to contact me later today. Really frustrated now.
    02-06-12 03:48 AM
    Mattdev, thanks for the tip, however this does not work either. The DM does not even recognise the connection. Have arranged for RIM to contact me later today. Really frustrated now.
    While waiting (and I'm sure you are quite frustrated), try one more time. First, give it a charge for an hour or so.

Make sure that it is actually powered OFF (go into a dark room/closet and make sure that it is not just a dark but powered on screen).

Then try the debrick with it OFF at first:

Try the Debrick method....

1) Turn your playbook OFF by holding down the power button
    2) skipped
    3) After letting the PB sit (and still powered off) open up the Blackberry Desktop Software (the latest version)
    4) Once the Blackberry Desktop Software is opened, use the USB Cable and hook the PB to the PC.. THEN power on the Playbook
    5) A screen will show on your computer showing that the device cannot be found
    6) Click on Update. It will take awhile

(yesterday while backing up my new 64 gig, I noticed that update screen for the first time as I connected the pb to the usb cord)
    mattdev likes this.
    02-06-12 09:00 AM
83 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD