In a major back flip Amazon to sign deal with Rim? Could it happen?

Android tablets are everywhere, none are as smooth as the PlayBook, Rim needs partners to expand the ecosystem, who better than Amazon, a giant retail partner with more experience in meeting consumer demands than Rim could ever have.

Interesting thought, the two people at the helm are most likely too proud to have partners like this but its an interesting thought.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jordandrews90 likes this.
    09-02-11 07:26 PM
    Very interesting point. Have you read any articles about this or is it just a thought. I guess Amazon is already too invested into their own tablet. We haven't even got Kindle let alone them temaing up with RIM.
    09-02-11 08:18 PM
    I just want them to partner on Instant Video for offline play!
    algutier likes this.
    09-02-11 08:23 PM
    Just a thought. I always wondered why Amazon was a default bookmark on the PB.

Rim needs partners to expand the ecosystem. Amazon have experienced why leaving the market to iOS is a bad thing.

09-02-11 10:53 PM
    I can't think of any advantage Amazon would get from such a deal.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-02-11 10:59 PM
    I always thought RIM should have inked a deal with Amazon to get content onto the Playbook. But maybe Amazon knew the device wasn't going to be a big seller. Lack of a robust eco-system is a guaranteed tablet killer it seems.
    09-02-11 11:04 PM
    Amazon would get nothing out of it. See other thread for specs on their initial 7" device. Its android but not. Sounds like if anything they are bracketing the PB with a low end 7" device and a 10" dual core big deal device aimed squarely at the other iDevice.

Maybe in some alternate world, this could have happened ?2yrs ago? but Amazon is too far into their own device (near release! these things dont just pop up), and RIM no longer brings as much to the table.
    09-02-11 11:06 PM
    I know this is only a mock up.

But it is based on a PB.
    Also if you look into it. Amazon was going to release a 10" that was cancelled. RIM was rumoured to be working on a 10" that was stalled. could it.... just could it be......

Amazon Is Only Launching A 7″ Tablet? Genius. (Plus A Mockup!) | TechCrunch
    09-03-11 03:25 AM
    Unlikely now. I think RIM should have teamed up with them a long, long time ago. It's obvious when you consider it: Amazon has a strong history of being a content provider, but didn't have devices. RIM...the opposite.

That said, I suspect Amazon would have passed for one reason: it likes to have full control over the experience, and it's unlikely RIM would have let that happen.
    09-03-11 03:47 AM
    Amazon not the least interested in QNX. Visible proof: No Kindle app. Sorry the cloud doesn't count as an app.
    It certainly suggests Amazon could be giving potential buyers yet another reason to select its own 7-inch tablet over competitors by denying them access to any native Kindle app.
    09-03-11 12:04 PM
    12-20-11 05:57 PM
    well the fire is basically a Playbook without cameras or bluetooth and 8GB of storage so it would be cool to see Amazon partner with RIM, maybe update the OS on Fire to a skinned TabletOS, and finally give the Playbook Kindle. Would also allow RIM to rapidly grow user base and adoption of QNX. I'll have to go find an ifixit teardown of the fire to confirm that.

UPDATE: Fire has BT, Omap 4430, but only 512MB of ram so would probably have to run a stripped down version of TabletOS cause the current version uses the ram pretty hard.
    Last edited by lnichols; 12-20-11 at 06:10 PM.
    12-20-11 06:03 PM
    Amazon doesnt care so much about the Kindle Fire as selling their content. They got nervous that iOS users would use iTunes exclusively and that Android users would turn to Google for content leaving Amazon out of tbe game.

If RIM manages to get enough people on board I dont see why Amazon wouldn't want to provide content for the Playbook. RIM sure isn't.
    12-20-11 08:34 PM
    I've said before that I think Amazon and RIM would be a good fit. I think Amazon would like to have their own OS. Yes, Android is free, but it's also provided by Google. Google is looking to compete with Amazon Prime. It's kind of like what happened between Apple and Google, partners gradually becoming competitors. So, I could see where Amazon may have investigated buying RIM.

RIM's decison to run android apps would allow Amazon to easily port apps from the Amazon Marketplace. Amazon would have to put a lot of money on the table though to even get Mike and Jim to even give it realistic thought or they will have to wait until RIM is completely on its knees, which by then the BlackBerry brand may be too ruined to really do anything with it. Of course WebOS being open-sourced could provide another path for Amazon as well, but not as well as one with RIM.
    12-20-11 09:06 PM
    I think of Amazon more as a bottom feeder for tech. There is little difference between Amazon and Walmart as far as goals; FIRSTEST WITH THE MOSTEST. Walmart will willing demand a producer to meet minimum quality requirements to insure sales. Amazon the same. Amazon is remarkably good at delivering an online store and has good development tools for their services, but I think their tech items are low grade, Walmart quality. And yes I shop at both. Rim has nothing in common with Amazon. Is this just a report that made it outconcerning discussions that were ostensibly about comment and as a matter of course sale of intellectual pattent properties was broached?

I am what I am
    12-20-11 09:17 PM
    Posted same question on 10-05-2011 Now that Amazon was "turned down" by RIM, will the PlayBook and its OS help or hurt RIM's future? Since there are plenty of Android Tablets out there, I only see content being the "catch" that RIM would need to compete. That leaves Amazon and Microsoft. Not sure what MS would gain........
    12-20-11 11:19 PM
    In a major back flip Amazon to sign deal with Rim? Could it happen?

Android tablets are everywhere, none are as smooth as the PlayBook, Rim needs partners to expand the ecosystem, who better than Amazon, a giant retail partner with more experience in meeting consumer demands than Rim could ever have.

Interesting thought, the two people at the helm are most likely too proud to have partners like this but its an interesting thought.

Looks like I was on the money... :-)
    12-22-11 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD