So I'm in Europe for the winter and data is too expensive and the hotel room I'm in dosnt pick up wifi, but in the hallway just outside my door I get wifi. What I just figured out is I can leave my bold 9900 in the hall (hidden in a shoe), have it connected to the wifi and my PlayBook in my room has browser along with the Bridge features.
    Pretty cool I think. I'm wondering if that was the "wifi over bridge" feature that was included in the latest bridge update cause I'm sure it wouldn't do this before.
    David in Durham likes this.
    01-07-13 05:35 AM
    so you mean wifi works on tethering now? can you confirm by turning your phone network off but leave your wifi on?
    malgpz900 likes this.
    01-07-13 05:49 AM
    No his 9900 is connected to wifi and his PB is bridged to the phone, not tethered.
    01-07-13 07:44 AM
    Are you sure that the phone is not getting/using DATA??

I will be going over in a few weeks and hope that wifi is readily available as Verizon's data will be very pricey.
    01-07-13 10:26 AM
    If you have a laptop with you download connectify lite. You can pick up the wifi on the laptop and essentially use your laptop as a hotspot. This will extend the wifi coverage into the room and you can then connect the PlayBook and phones through the connectify ssid.
    ,My laptop can pick up signals further away than my phone and PlayBook can so maybe this will work for you.
    01-07-13 11:40 AM
    My data is turned off on the phone, wifi is turned off on the PB, and I never tethered the 2. Only thing on is bluetooth on the PB and the 9900 is online. Everything works on my PB except video chat.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-07-13 11:44 AM
    I hope no one steals your shoe!
    01-07-13 12:02 PM
    It's a Maxwell Smart shoe phone. RIM's effort to rid the world of Kaos continues.
    01-07-13 12:28 PM
    Are you sure that the phone is not getting/using DATA??

I will be going over in a few weeks and hope that wifi is readily available as Verizon's data will be very pricey.
    I can confirm that the phone doesn't need carrier data. I do something similar to the OP when I'm working on the car because it is just outside of my Wifi range. I place a old 9000 without sim card in Wifi range then bridge bluetooth goes far enough to get me internet on the PB without using carrier data.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-07-13 12:34 PM
    I hope no one steals your shoe!
    I was thinking the same thing. That would would be one expensive shoe to replace.
    01-07-13 09:47 PM