Well since you click on this thread, thank u for that! Don't report me or leave yet but please share your opinions on this one! Appreciate that.

So hey there, I just purchased a PlayBook 64GB for 299 euro last friday. And after playing for like two days it left me with some thought about just return the tablet and forget about it.

Why? I don't want to troll this forum or something or even being a Apple or Android fanboy but you know coming from an iPad (iOS) and Nexus S (Android) this PlayBook really disappoint me in so many points, no I'm not trolling even this is my first post.

/rant
    Listen: I like the build quality of the PlayBook! Really, the material and the premium design make the PlayBook feels really good in my hand. The hardware like the 1 GHZ dual-core, 1 GB RAM and on top the QNX OS make all the things run and go snappy.

But seriously RIM no matter what kind of people are saying this PlayBook is definitely a RUSH product! The OS may run smoothly and the gesture control may work fine but the OS is definitely not finish, just go and run through the settings and compare it with other OS. I can understand the reason for not include Email, Contacts or Calendar but RIM wake up man it was 2011 when you guys launch the PlayBook and don't say theres many people who use a BB smartphone so they can pair using bridge, from what I know is that almost everyone were using an iPhone or an Android devices! I know the OS 2.0 is coming and will fix the stuff like PIM but man o man let me continue on the App World...

Seriously how can Mike give a speech on dev con last year by saying many people like the PlayBook and apps in App World are keep growing everyday? Come on for God sake there is not even a decent tech news app in the App World! No Engadet, no CNN, no Skype, no Pulse Reader and keep it going... Will this change? I doubt it, since only Android 2.3 apps will be port to the App World not even tablets apps... I don't need Angry Birds where I can get for free on Android or even for 2 dollar/euro on my iPad but really RIM should look at those price in App world for god sake why is monlopy selling for like 9,50 euro?! I got mine for like 79 cent on the iPad? For 9,50 I can go and purchase a real one in the toy store!

And last one; what the **** is wrong with the wifi on the PlayBook? I barley got a decent signal and most of time it just drop it. So if I want to use it I need to go to the living room next on my router? Even my iPad can get a good signal where my PlayBook displaying connection error, I read on google that I should change to only B and G but it is not helping... and beside why should I configure my router if the iPad and my iMac both are working fine? RIM mentioned that it will fix in the upcoming OS 2 and for god sake I hope they really fix it...

I almost forget about the YouTube app... why can't I login to watch my subscriptions? It is not 2006, for god sake it is 2012!

/rant
    Last edited by CrackNote; 01-15-12 at 04:23 PM.
    01-15-12 04:16 PM
    easy....

1- return it and buy something simillar for a lot more money, or
    2- keep it and wait to get your head blown away with the new OS 2 comming soon.

P.S. there are so many of this forums that could make you think twice before you deside to wright a blog like this.

enjoy if you wish....
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    01-15-12 04:22 PM
    so u are comparing the app section of a OS that isnt a year old, to IOS which is over 5 years old.....and u actually thought that the same apps would be available? Surely if u went out and bought the playbook, then u had already known about its shortcomings from the bajillion of articles bashing it right?

no offense, but i dont understand why u need us to tell u to keep product. if u want it keep it, if u dont, then return it. OS2 is out next month but if its apps u are that concerned about (and i feel that is better each and every day personally) then u might as well return it now. its gonna take more time before RIM catch IOS or android in a manner that will satisfy you.
    Snap51 and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-15-12 04:30 PM
    I think you are a tad too late to the pity party.
    Just wait until o/s 2.0 arrives this Feb. Then, if you still don't like it, by all means, return the PB. Meanwhile, show it some love. You'll like it -- eventually.
    Richdog- and bbfan1040 like this.
    Just return it. I cannot even convince myself to keep the pb.
    Well OP, I think you solved your own question. I'm not going to convince you of anything, as you should do that yourself.

Saying that, the PB is not the same OS as your Ipads and things work differently on the QNX platform, and are not interchangeable.
    If your playbook is not working out for you, then get a refund and buy a device that will suit your needs.
    Sorry to see you go, but it is important for YOU to be happy with what ever device you want.

You can click on the links below my signature, if you want to learn more about the playbook.

I wish you luck!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-15-12 at 05:06 PM.
    jjca and bbfan1040 like this.
    easy....

1- return it and buy something simillar for a lot more money, or
    2- keep it and wait to get your head blown away with the new OS 2 comming soon.

P.S. there are so many of this forums that could make you think twice before you deside to wright a blog like this.

enjoy if you wish....
    1. price of the PB cant be beat because its a fire sale. I assume if the iPad 1 was still for sale new the wifi version would be about $300 as well

2. I dont think anyone but actual PB owners are going to be blown away because all 2.0 does is bring the PB up to what everyone expects a tablet to already have. Any other tablet not have native email, contacts or calendar?

but yes, I'd hang on to it if I were him because really you'd have to pay over $400 to get what 2.0 will bring. It better be good!!
    01-15-12 04:43 PM
    No offence to the OP but you are banging a drum thats been beat to death since april of last year. Its your fault for buying it because everything you state is common knowledge and you didn't do your research. Bring it back, get off the cash and get an ipad and you should be good to go. Good luck.
    bbfan1040 and Snap51 like this.
    01-15-12 04:45 PM
    The only thing that I really don't like at this moment is the absolute unstable and weak wifi connection, have already hard rest my PlayBook several times and tried change from mixed b/g/n to b/g only but nothings seems to improve so far. The only way to get a decent signal is go to the living room.

I know this may be like trolling or fan boys trolling for other people, and I know the shortcomings of the PlayBook before I bought it. Most of those things will hopefully be fixed in the upcoming update. But it is really the wifi signal that keep me from using the PlayBook.

And I'm pretty sure that the router is working fine, my laptop (Windows 7), PC (Windows 7), Mac (OS X), iPad (iOS), Nexus S and HTC Desire (both Android) -> They are all working fine here! So why the play book not?!
    01-15-12 04:51 PM
    Speaking of wifi....I have an ipad2 and a playbook both on the same wifi network running N mode. The ipad2 drops connection at least once a day - had it configured to either static or dynamic , doesn't matter. Playbook (on static) on the other hand has been solid on the wifi..anytime it wakes up from standby, the wifi is there with 4 bars. I have to constantly reset the router for the lpad - really annoying.

For playbook I recommend using static ip..really helps.
    Just Me and bbfan1040 like this.
    01-15-12 04:53 PM
    This one is easy IMO, if you can't make decisions for yourself, I'd personally hang on to the tablet for now. Next, I'd go buy 3 magic 8 balls. Ask them if you should keep it and go with the marjority. Good luck!
    01-15-12 04:54 PM
    The only thing that I really don't like at this moment is the absolute unstable and weak wifi connection, have already hard rest my PlayBook several times and tried change from mixed b/g/n to b/g only but nothings seems to improve so far. The only way to get a decent signal is go to the living room.

I know this may be like trolling or fan boys trolling for other people, and I know the shortcomings of the PlayBook before I bought it. Most of those things will hopefully be fixed in the upcoming update. But it is really the wifi signal that keep me from using the PlayBook.

And I'm pretty sure that the router is working fine, my laptop (Windows 7), PC (Windows 7), Mac (OS X), iPad (iOS), Nexus S and HTC Desire (both Android) -> They are all working fine here! So why the play book not?!
    Ok now your talking our language. Wifi problems are not unique to the pb. There are tons of threads on a fix. If I were you I would push the little triangle on my post and ask the mods to close the thread so folks dont get carried away.
    01-15-12 04:54 PM
    <snip> ...And I'm pretty sure that the router is working fine, my laptop (Windows 7), PC (Windows 7), Mac (OS X), iPad (iOS), Nexus S and HTC Desire (both Android) -> They are all working fine here! So why the play book not?!
    Totally different OS from the other devices you have.
    01-15-12 04:56 PM
    watch the videos of os2
    if you like what you see keep the playbook else, return it.

as for the wifi issue, I would find a wifi signal program for one of your laptops and check out your house, I moved my router and it fixed my home wifi problems
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-15-12 04:57 PM
    Thread cleaned up and the OT posts remove. Either try to help the user and suggest some apps that he might not have known about or move on. Any more OT or pointless posts and the next mod to clean it up might not be so nice
    01-15-12 04:58 PM
    If you don't want it then you should return it. The nature of your comments, are, however, trolling. Nothing you have said on the factual side couldn't have been ID'd by you in a five minute internet search before purchase. You went in with open eyes and made a purchase ignoring known (and documented) information on some fronts. Other things are qualitative such as whether the settings "feel finished" - to each their own when it comes to qualitative stuff. You obviously must also know that OS 2 will be out shortly so you are essentially baiting for the sake of baiting. BTW, find me an Android tablet (or phone) that does not feel unfinished. For that matter, find me an Andorid tablet (or phone) that does not have security holes. If it wasn't (mostly) free it would be used by anyone....
    01-15-12 05:05 PM
    Totally different OS from the other devices you have.
    Correct me if I am wrong but the latest update for the PlayBook was part aim to fix and improve the wifi signal! Since I bought it last friday and was force to update to the newest OS version, I can't compare the wifi signal quality.

And speaking of OS 2, of course I have read and watch about it. It brings email, contacts and calendar to the PlayBook. And different tweak to the UI (home screen) but the thing that I am keep asking myself is will the developers consider to develop specially for the PlayBook since there is much more users and devices on iOS and Android.
    Look the problem is you want design for BB? You got OS 7 and QNX. Two different OS!

One thing that Elop from Nokia right about was, it's not a war between manufacture/hardware anymore, things have been changed it's now about a war between the eco system. And that is the thing that I most care about, will RIM finds a way to attract
    dev to the platform?
    01-15-12 05:10 PM
    If you don't want it then you should return it. The nature of your comments, are, however, trolling. Nothing you have said on the factual side couldn't have been ID'd by you in a five minute internet search before purchase. You went in with open eyes and made a purchase ignoring known (and documented) information on some fronts. Other things are qualitative such as whether the settings "feel finished" - to each their own when it comes to qualitative stuff. You obviously must also know that OS 2 will be out shortly so you are essentially baiting for the sake of baiting. BTW, find me an Android tablet (or phone) that does not feel unfinished. For that matter, find me an Andorid tablet (or phone) that does not have security holes. If it wasn't (mostly) free it would be used by anyone....
    Dude I spend days before decide to go for the PlayBook, read this forum, read reviews and watch many video's on YouTube.
    Just look at Samsung Galaxy 2, it just works you know.

However if you guys keep telling that I am trolling instead give your own experience and thought or even any tips about the weak wifi signal, well then let's close this thread and pretend nothing happened...
    01-15-12 05:14 PM
    Im getting a playbook soon

Anyway, the Laptop and Desktop will have a much more powerful antenna in them and therefore will be able to pick up a wireless signal from a much further distance.

Another thing, is your router a dual band router? AKA using 2.4ghz and 5ghz?
    If so then mostly the 2.4ghz will go a further distance but will be a lot more slow. I don't know if the playbook is 5ghz?
    However if it is using the 2.4Ghz then there is likely to be a lot of interference, anything could be causing it, eg a Microwave
    However the 5ghz is alot less congested and will be a better bet if the playbook supports it.

Download a program called Inssider: Download inSSIDer and Discover the Wi-Fi Networks Around You | | MetaGeekMetaGeek
    It will allow you to see how many other networks overlap your wireless network! My 2.4ghz is completely overlapping with loads of other networks because everyone uses that range as it supports older devices. If there is a free channel eg 6 then change your router to use channel 6 and see if it helps

When i look at the 5ghz there is not one network detected except mine
    Much more stable and less likely to disconnect

Otherwise I dunno lol
    Good Luck and hope this helps
    jafobabe and CrackNote like this.
    01-15-12 05:40 PM
    Fine, I will share some of my personal experience as well as some ideas. From the first day I have purchased it I loved it. Feel, smell, and looks all hooked me in. Yes, people view the playbook as "unfinished" and love to bash on it because it isn't like your iPad. It has done all that I wanted to. What is a tablet? It is something you want, not need. iPad is for apps and really no one is on the market for a "tablet" but an iPad. Personally I don't care what you do but a playbook does all I want it to do and more.

iPad also came off an already estabalished OS while the PlayBook didn't. Take it for what you will but PlayBooks are better!

(BlackBerry Fan Boy!)
    KermEd likes this.
    01-15-12 06:08 PM
    Dont keep it. Please don't. Sell it to someone else, give it away, return it, etc. But its clearly not the right product for you.

I could help you sort things out with it, but I don't see the value in it. If you wanted an iPad or Android, you should have just bought it instead.

With that said, I'll take it off your hands for $100 CAN.
    ~ed
    01-15-12 06:10 PM
    I prefer to assume that your post is a legitimate attempt to confirm that you made the correct choice in purchasing a Playbook just as you did with your iPad purchase. Anytime you make a decison to purchase a device that suits your purpose, it is a good one and I believe you also made.a good choice here. While you may not yet be convinced of that I will attempt to do so here and will focus on what can be done on the PB rather than what cannot be done on any other device. I don't beleive advocacy is served by denigrating one product over another, but instead by extolling the benefits of the product being advocated. This may be a long post so I hope you are patient.

First of it would be prudent acknowledge that the Playbook has shortcomings and is not for everyone. Even.with this acknowledgement I decided on a Playbook over any other tablet (after using the others over a period of many weeks). Obviously though there are excellent demos of what is coming up in a few short weeks with the new release it may not be realistic to ask you to keep until then and make your judgement at that time. This would also depend on the return policy of the vendor you purchased it from let me suggesg at the very least view the demo video of the version demoed at CES 2012 which shows what is is coming in a few short weeks. It is a long video at 17:50 but a very complete one. It can be seen at:

At the very least view this video before making a decision to return it.

As I am writing tbis and thoughts come to me as why the PB is useful to me I relized it would make for a long single post so I will break it into 2 parts. Part 2 will be a list of a several things I use it for including the apps used which may help to show why I feel the PB is the best device for me right now even.with its shortcomings and at least an excellent choice for you.

Bear with me.
    CrackNote and jafobabe like this.
    01-15-12 06:15 PM
    Convince me into thinking it is important to be convinced by other people, please
    lkveggie likes this.
    01-15-12 06:23 PM
    I'll buy it

I'll even beat the above offer...
    01-15-12 06:26 PM
    Helpful info!
    That long video was really informative, highly appreciate that! Other CES videos didn't show that much!

From what I have seen and noticed in the video I suggest there are ton of top apps that will be coming in OS 2.0/February, like Box.net (shame still no Dropbox), Evernote, Zinio, a fully updated and redesign DocToGo?, BCC News and a lot of "native" games that I actually don't really care (but it is a good sign that EA and GameLoft show their love for the PlayBook!).
    I believe this is a good sign that those "top" apps are finally coming to App World! Let's pray the price will be right to go!

I have been also playing with the settings on my router (dual band one), have been notice a more stable connection since I changed the 5GHZ signal to N only instead of N/A mixed.

Thanks all for the inputs and will see you Part 2 dude!
    monotok likes this.
    01-15-12 06:38 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD