First post.

I've been on the forums for a while and I love the blackberry os over honeycomb/ICS and iPad, but I'm having troubles convincing myself buying a playbook. So if you could help me with some questions it would be great. I've done my research and I found that the playbooks size is perfect, presentation mode is great, display is awesome but most of the stuff that i can do, I can do on my laptop. I'm looking for a toy but something for school.

Is there a textbook, facebook messenger, skype, netflix app?
    I would love to use my text books on my playbook for next quarter so the kindle app?

What are the pros and cons you like about the PB?
    01-25-12 03:47 PM
    Why convince you? There are plenty of threads here just like this. Either you want it or you don't. Good luck.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 01-25-12 at 03:53 PM. Reason: are
    01-25-12 03:53 PM
    Just bite the bullet and buy one you wont regret it at the price these wee beauties are at just now!
    01-25-12 03:56 PM
    First post.

I've been on the forums for a while and I've done my research

I would love to use my text books on my playbook for next quarter so the kindle app
    You don't have to be around the forums long to know it doesn't.
    01-25-12 03:58 PM
    I'm confused. You say you've been reading here for "a while" and that you've done your research ... so you should already have found the answers to your questions/concerns.

As for your textbooks, if they are in Kindle format you should be able to read them through BookReader, a very inexpensive app in App World. It is "Kindle friendly".

As for convincing you, if you aren't convinced already, I'm not sure anyone could sway you.

Good luck!
    hahaatsimon likes this.
    01-25-12 04:00 PM
    Why convince you? There are plenty of threads here just like this. Either you want it or you don't. Good luck.
    Best post in this thread.
    Why should peeps waste their time to convince you?
    Buy or don't buy one, who cares?
    01-25-12 04:03 PM
    Just bite the bullet and buy one you wont regret it at the price these wee beauties are at just now!
    for the price its probably great compared to other tablets, I just got to have a reason to get one before I shoot the gun.

I haven't exactly found the right answer I'd guess by looking to the past threads and thank you.
    01-25-12 04:04 PM
    01-25-12 04:05 PM
    I'm considering a PlayBook also for the following reasons:

Free data via bridge
    Larger screen
    Touch screen
    Flash broswer
    Portable size
    Video calling
    Android apps

Since my current BlackBerry does none of the above, I think a PlayBook would be a nice middle between BlackBerry and laptop.

My top price is $200 though. I wouldn't pay more than that
    01-25-12 04:07 PM
    The pro's and con's of the PB are well documented here on CB. All of your questions can be answered with a few searches. My best advice is to find someone with a PB and give it a test drive. If it suits your needs, then you should get one. If not, then search for something that does.

I hope I don't sound rude, but since I am not you, I can not know what will be the best thing for you. No tablet does everything. I can tell you the IMO the PB is pretty awesome and suits my needs perfectly.
    Convince me what I should cook for dinner tonight, i'm getting hungry. Maybe i'll use my playbook to search some ideas.
    kennyliu likes this.
    Convince me what I should cook for dinner tonight, i'm getting hungry. Maybe i'll use my playbook to search some ideas.
    Roasted chicken, asparagus, and mashed potatoes.
    01-25-12 04:09 PM
    I'm confused. You say you've been reading here for "a while" and that you've done your research ... so you should already have found the answers to your questions/concerns.

As for your textbooks, if they are in Kindle format you should be able to read them through BookReader, a very inexpensive app in App World. It is "Kindle friendly".

As for convincing you, if you aren't convinced already, I'm not sure anyone could sway you.

Good luck!
    Thanks this was my #1 priority on getting a playbook, I'll pick one up tonight.
    01-25-12 04:09 PM
    You don't have to be around the forums long to know it doesn't.
    ......Yet.
    01-25-12 04:10 PM
    In short (but it's true, there are many threads discussing this):

Facebook app: So-so, notifies you when you open it but the chat has some glitches
    Messenger: You might want to grab an Android version when OS 2.0 is released. IM+ is available but it has some issues (at least in my case)
    Textbook: Kindle app might be available as a port from Droid and there are other apps out there that can help you
    Netflix: *cricket's noise*
    01-25-12 04:11 PM
    First post.

I've been on the forums for a while and I love the blackberry os over honeycomb/ICS and iPad, but I'm having troubles convincing myself buying a playbook. So if you could help me with some questions it would be great. I've done my research and I found that the playbooks size is perfect, presentation mode is great, display is awesome but most of the stuff that i can do, I can do on my laptop. I'm looking for a toy but something for school.

I would love to use my text books on my playbook for next quarter so the kindle app?

What are the pros and cons you like about the PB?
    1. Textbook -No. iPad is introducing a textbook reader, but there is still discussion as to what publishers will be on board with non-compete and revenue sharing with Apple.

2. Facebook messenger -yes

3. Skype - I've been very happy with IMO.IM for Skype chat, voice calls, and video chat.

4. Netflix -No, but RIM will have a movie store with 2.0.

As far as other functionality is concerned, read these forums and go to Youtube to watch any of the numerous videos showing functionality and apps.

Also, check the same sources for what's coming in 2.0 within weeks.

Finally, check out the writeup on the new keyboard on CB's front page.

IMHO, with 2.0 and the new keyboard, the Playbook becomes a great tool for students. I could never see note taking or writing papers on a touch keyboard. This new keyboard/case is going to be a game changer.

If you're not sure, you can wait for 2.0 to come out. But by then, the Playbooks might be sold out. You'd have to wait until March (earliest) to buy the new Playbook at whatever 'early adopter' price RIM goes with. Or, you can take a chance and buy one now at the discounted price and the keyboard and still spend less. It's up to you.
    01-25-12 04:13 PM
    The way I see it is this

1. Playbook is dirty cheap now. There is no tablet that can compare to PB at current prices in terms of quality.
    2. Playbook is getting load of Android Apps in less than a month.
    3. Playbook OS2 will be a significant improvement over current OS. [this is according to haters that normally do nothing else but are bashing RIM on every occasion]
    4. Playbook works great with BB phone and you do like BB phones
    5. Playbook [tablet] will substitute your laptop in many situations. I use my own laptop about 50% less since I own Playbook. [I use laptop for "serious" work in Microsoft Office but I use Playbook to get my daily fix of news, surf the web etc.]
    6. You WILL find small form factor of Playbook highly useful.
    7. RIM will support Playbook for years to come.

So there you go...

Enjoy
    01-25-12 04:14 PM
    Hey, did that just last week. I have my Pork Loin with Roasted veggies recipe on it and needed a dessert. So, popped open the Browser and found a baked apple recipe. Done!
    01-25-12 04:23 PM
    Head to the right upper section of this page. Find the search box. Enter the word "convince". Here you go! 563,124 threads just like yours. Enjoy.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-25-12 04:41 PM
    We should charge paypal transfer of some cash from newbies who want to be convinced to buy a PB, maybe the difference between the original price and the current discounted one should suffice
    kennyliu and jafobabe like this.
    01-25-12 05:34 PM
    You know what convinced me? Amazon reviews on the Playbook. Really. Try reading a few of them.
    01-25-12 06:04 PM
    Yes I hope you do purchase a PlayBook but if you are looking for a toy for facebook or skyhype you should get ipad or any apple product. If you want a device that will make your laptop collect dust and is all a round a kick a&� product get the BlackBerry PlayBook.
    It's a BlackBerry thing
    bitek likes this.
    01-25-12 06:07 PM
    You know what convinced me? Amazon reviews on the Playbook. Really. Try reading a few of them.
    true.

Playbook gets 4 out of 5 stars. [over 350 reviews for 16GB]. Pretty good score for "crappy" tablet.
    01-25-12 06:11 PM

Sent from my Atrix using Tapatalk
    01-25-12 07:07 PM
    Thank god I'm not the only one thinking the same. Why should we convince you. You said you've been around the forums long enough. You should then know what apps we don't have with the official non-beta firmware. There has been so many threads and comments about the following apps you asked about. It's been answered, and some are mysterious.

Obviously you didn't do your research good enough. The only three posts you have are in this thread though you became a member in April of '11.

I don't even know why am I posting here..it's just your thread is one of those ones that give me the "....." thought/expression.
    01-25-12 07:11 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD