at this price it's a no brainer!
    12-25-11 12:06 AM
    I recommend determining your specific needs, research the forums on those needs and decide. We have 5 at work now, with 2 more on the way. They serve us perfectly but our requirements may differ from yours. Also, expect some bashing when you start a thread like this. They'll show up telling you they have a PB too and then say the pdf reader is crap, the apps are crap, this is crap and that is crap. YOU need to make your decision based on cumulative opinions and research, throwing out the baiters and bashers. Good luck.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-25-11 at 12:52 AM.
    12-25-11 12:43 AM
    So the Christmas sales have started in the UK, and I'm really tempted by a Playbook.

Being as you usually find me writing on android central, I'm turning to the crackberry fans to give me some good/bad advice on whether it's a good investment for a non day to day blackberry user.

I need to be able to use it for basic office (spreadsheet, pdf, word) functions and watching movies on the go. Has anyone got one that doesn't use a blackberry smartphone? Would I be disadvantaged in anyway by not having a bb?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    i have a galaxy s2, galaxy tab, ipad 2, iphone 4s and the playbook. i don't use a blackberry anymore.

the playbook is literally the most useless of the bunch. like you said, something like PDF readability should be a basic tablet function. guess what? the playbook is especially awful at it. adobe reader is pretty much the only pdf reader available and its horrible on the playbook. i brought up the fact that it can't even add proper bookmarks and someone on this forum told me to 'use a pencil to write it down'. if thats ok with you, then maybe the playbook will be fine for your needs.

movies on the go...codec support on the playbook is also subpar. i can play more files on my very-closed-system iphone than i can on the playbook simply because there are actual iOS video player apps i can get. the playbook pretty much has none except the built-in one where half of my videos play with no sound.

for the price, the hardware specs are very alluring. but without GOOD software, its pointless.
    12-25-11 12:48 AM
    i have a galaxy s2, galaxy tab, ipad 2, iphone 4s and the playbook. i don't use a blackberry anymore.

the playbook is literally the most useless of the bunch. like you said, something like PDF readability should be a basic tablet function. guess what? the playbook is especially awful at it. adobe reader is pretty much the only pdf reader available and its horrible on the playbook. i brought up the fact that it can't even add proper bookmarks and someone on this forum told me to 'use a pencil to write it down'. if thats ok with you, then maybe the playbook will be fine for your needs.

movies on the go...codec support on the playbook is also subpar. i can play more files on my very-closed-system iphone than i can on the playbook simply because there are actual iOS video player apps i can get. the playbook pretty much has none except the built-in one where half of my videos play with no sound.

for the price, the hardware specs are very alluring. but without GOOD software, its pointless.
    Emphasis in bold. Why do you keep coming to this forum day after day and bashing it as a non-user? What kind of person spends so much time and energy doing that for a product that dislike so much and do it for so long? I've seen several members ask you this but have never seen a reply.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-25-11 at 02:05 PM.
    rotorwrench and Lhendr like this.
    12-25-11 01:54 AM
    Emphasis in bold. Why do you keep coming to this forum day after day and bashing it as a non-user? What kind of person spends so much time and energy doing that for a product that dislike so much and do it for so long? I've seen several members ask you this but have never seen a reply. Freedom of speech is one thing but you seem to be on a personal crusade to convince everyone else it sucks just to make you feel better about your switch to another brand, and that's just twisted.
    i have to use a blackberry to participate in this forum? i hack at the playbook all of the time trying to make it better. i've been beta testing, rooting, trying android market place installs, etc. i think thats way better than complacent users who are "completely happy" with it which would pretty much end playbook development altogether.

or you know, instead of just trying to attack me, maybe you can address the actual points i'm making? or do you think pdf readers with no bookmark ability is also acceptable?
    12-25-11 02:00 AM
    just buy, its a great tablet. that's all.
    12-25-11 02:04 AM
    Emphasis in bold. Why do you keep coming to this forum day after day and bashing it as a non-user? What kind of person spends so much time and energy doing that for a product that dislike so much and do it for so long? I've seen several members ask you this but have never seen a reply. Freedom of speech is one thing but you seem to be on a personal crusade to convince everyone else it sucks just to make you feel better about your switch to another brand, and that's just twisted.
    My advice is to just ignore the obvious baits and bashes, don't respond. I'm really trying to follow my own advice and I know it's hard, but its for the best. And I'm not talking about legitimate negative opinions. You'll see a definite pattern and then you know. Some just get a kick from it, who knows. Merry Christmas
    rdonnelly likes this.
    12-25-11 02:11 AM
    Use your Troll spray or the ignore button when a troll enters the room.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-25-11 06:01 AM
    You really want to know? I'll gladly tell you. Because from what I have seen as a new member, all of your posts have been extremely bitter and negative. Maybe at some point you actually did mean well. But that's not how you come across anymore, and I'm not the only one who has commented on that. Now you just come across as an embittered former customer with a hate agenda and it's not helpful at all, and gives off a negative feeling in the PB forum community.
    I tell you, the trolls are here always, you ignore them, report them....nothing matters. They come back again, post negative comments and even come back with new user names when banned....... these are people we have to deal with.
    Since we cant change the situation lets just change our response to it... ignore these morons.....
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-25-11 12:43 PM
    ty that's good advice I'll act on that immediately
    rotorwrench likes this.
    12-25-11 02:01 PM
    Normally wouldn't bother starting a thread like this, i know how these things are meant to work, i'm in the business as i mentioned ;-) needed some quick fire advice though and Crackberry nation hasn't let me down.

Collecting in the morning
    12-25-11 03:44 PM
    Normally wouldn't bother starting a thread like this, i know how these things are meant to work, i'm in the business as i mentioned ;-) needed some quick fire advice though and Crackberry nation hasn't let me down.

Collecting in the morning
    Congrats!!!!!
    12-25-11 03:50 PM
    Just bought one a few days ago at the new bargain price. Also have iPad plus iPhone For the money finding the playbook a great bit of kit. Well made, great screen and better size for use on train . Once email client is sorted and Android market is opened I will be a happy man
    12-25-11 04:31 PM
    So i've collected it and without even turning it on... Wow

The packaging alone makes me feel like it's a quality product. The hardware feels exceptionally good quality and the size is absolutely perfect. Can't wait to get home and fire it up!

CanadianThomas likes this.
    12-26-11 09:03 AM
    So i've collected it and without even turning it on... Wow

The packaging alone makes me feel like it's a quality product. The hardware feels exceptionally good quality and the size is absolutely perfect. Can't wait to get home and fire it up!

Congrats. The PB is it's own best salesperson.
    12-26-11 11:43 AM
    this link will tell you all you need to know.

http://just****inggoogleit.com/
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-26-11 04:27 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD