Hello, I have not had a Blackberry since 2010, and been a hardcore Palm user since the Pre Plus. I now own a Pre 3 and TouchPad. However, the new developments over at HP are making me nervous and I am looking for an alternative platform. What would be the selling points to make me drop my TouchPad for QNX and the Playbook? I find what I've seen of the UI very familiar, but has it received native email and calendar, etc?

Thanks,
    Andrew
    12-10-11 12:42 PM
    Even if I told you it was the best thing out there I doubt that would "convince" anyone. I love mine. Go find one and testdrive it. You should convince yourself.
    12-10-11 01:13 PM
    How could you not buy one. After reviewing all the tablets, i found that the PB was just as good or more superior then the ipad and the samsung 10.1. And for the price, you can not not want to buy one. The OS is smoother then the droid, faster then the ipad, and the camera and picture are great, love the high def. video.
    12-10-11 01:22 PM
    +1 what robtanz said. Figure out what features you want - make a list - then go get hands-on with the competitors and make your own decision. I looked at the Xoom, Galaxy, iPad, Fire and PlayBook side-by-side. For me, the PB's combination of form, features, bridging, HDMI-out, and price (at the time) won me over.
    12-10-11 01:23 PM
    Just try it. You'll be amazed.
    Willard814 and CDM76 like this.
    12-10-11 01:24 PM
    Android player.
    $200.
    7 inches.

thats all I got for ya
    12-10-11 01:26 PM
    It does NOT contain native email, calendar or contacts. You need a bb phone for those features. It may or may not get those features.

Only buy it if it does what you want right now, out of the box. If it does not do what you want/need do not count on it ever doing those things.

But find one and try it out.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-10-11 02:05 PM
    It does NOT contain native email, calendar or contacts. You need a bb phone for those features. It may or may not get those features.

Only buy it if it does what you want right now, out of the box. If it does not do what you want/need do not count on it ever doing those things.

12-10-11 02:06 PM
    id suggest you go hands on at the stores. with android, you have a lot of choices when it comes to size and form factor. you also get hdmi out just like the pb, micro sd slot(which pb does not have) and if you look at the acer a500, you get a full sized usb port which u can plug almost anything. I love my android tablet better but I'm also a tinkerer when it comes to os mods and it lets me do that.

the playbook feels very nice and not cheap. the os is smoother than android. when it comes to apps, even though when compared to ios and android, there should be no complaining because you should already be used to the lack of apps with your webos devices.

to be honest though... any honeycomb tablet will outdo the pb in features and possibilities from the combination of apps and native features of android. but the silky smooth pb os and build quality is enough for me to like. and with os2 on the way, you have some more stuff to look forward to.
    azrin640 and Willard814 like this.
    12-10-11 02:09 PM
    investment item. buy for cheap. more to come later
    pb has awesome hardware just lacking a bit in the software right now. software can always be made and will be coming out; but if the hardware sux then to upgrade, you have to spend money on a new tablet.
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-10-11 02:15 PM

May or may not get those features ???? It WILL get those features with the 2.0 OS....
    Why does it have to always sound negative with some people......
    anindoc, Snap51, azrin640 and 3 others like this.
    12-10-11 02:18 PM
    May or may not get those features ???? It WILL get those features with the 2.0 OS....
    Why does it have to always sound negative with some people......
    Nothing wrong with giving the other side. Some don't believe RIM any longer and that is OK. Some do

F2 is actually quite helpful on here even if he does have a bone to pick.
    anindoc, jafobabe, AggreX and 2 others like this.
    12-10-11 02:27 PM
    The Playbook is a solid device (in more ways than one; most reviewers have remarked on the quality of the physical device itself). It's lightweight, and easier to cart around than an iPad.

If you're looking to replace your Pre and get a Blackberry phone, then adding a Playbook is an excellent investment. Personally, I actually really like the Bridge functionality, and Blackberry Messenger (BBM) is a fantastic IM platform.

And as others have pointed out, there will be thousands of Android apps available soon. I'm running the Developer Preview on mine for weeks now, and not only is it stable in its own right, but it does offer the Android compatibility promised.

You could do worse
    Willard814 likes this.
    12-10-11 02:33 PM

so it does not have it. but do you really need it ? the world is going towards cloud service anyways.
    12-10-11 02:34 PM
    Research and buy. There are quite a few positives and as many negatives about the Playbook.
    12-10-11 02:46 PM
    @199 it's a small investment in QNX driven tablet that should be real nice with all the planned upgraded OS 2 in Feb '12 (intimate/intimidation/ultimate to silence the critics). Try it out with it's current OS to see if it's for you with it's bright screen, swipes, portability and camera(s). Tablets currently are not laptop/pc replacements but mine are OFF and if used like most tablets (browsing,music,etc) it does the job and then some.
    12-10-11 02:53 PM
    RIM said the native e-mail and calendar will be here in February. As the user of a BB phone those features are not something I need or even want. You said you were looking to switch platforms so that may apply to you as well. Maybe you could tell us what you mainly use the tablet for and what features you need. With that information we could give you more facts then opinions.

The bridge would have to the most notable selling point. The ability to connect to the internet almost anywhere is fantastic. That is if your platform change includes a phone.
    12-10-11 02:55 PM

This alone should sell u! I LOVE my Playbook. I'm not gettin the El Clasico football match (Barcelona vs. Real Madrid) on cable so I'm watchin it live on my 47" tv via onlinestream on the playbook and and its HDMI connection to my tv!
    Last edited by kzeusr; 12-10-11 at 03:28 PM.
    12-10-11 02:59 PM
    Again, research more. There are many tablets with HDMI (or HDMI adapter) you can use to watch Hulu for example.

As for the February release, it is up to you whether you want trust what RIM said. RIM repeatedly told the native email and other stuff would be coming in a short while but haven't kept their word.

If apps are important, stay away from the Playbook. Major developers have chosen to ignore it.
    12-10-11 03:04 PM
    Again, research more. There are many tablets with HDMI (or HDMI adapter) you can use to watch Hulu for example.

As for the February release, it is up to you whether you want trust what RIM said. RIM repeatedly told the native email and other stuff would be coming in a short while but haven't kept their word.

If apps are important, stay away from the Playbook. Major developers have chosen to ignore it.
    While that may be true right now I'm not sure they are ignoring it or don't have the tools yet. Besides when HTML5 is more prevalent won't the app thing not be a point for anyone? I'm sure specialty apps will still be needed. Also sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    12-10-11 03:08 PM
    By now, OP, you should be thoroughly convinced that if unique is what you seek, if professional grade is what you demand, if rock solid and exquisite design, form factor, superb build factor, and material choice second to none, then Playbook is for you. Nothing screams success like a man/woman seen in possession of a MOMA caliber piece of electronic hardware. It's like...like....carrying a Rolex Submariner instead of wearing one.
    bbfan1040 and RicThot like this.
    12-10-11 03:14 PM
    Besides when HTML5 is more prevalent won't the app thing not be a point for anyone? I'm sure specialty apps will still be needed. Also sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
    Wrong. Can't see how HTML5 will substitute for apps.
    12-10-11 03:16 PM
    Wrong. Can't see how HTML5 will substitute for apps.
    Did you ask Jobs about that?
    12-10-11 03:17 PM
    Did you ask Jobs about that?
    Yes, just finished my session with the psychic
    FF22 likes this.
    12-10-11 03:20 PM
    LOL but really. I said there will still be a need for specialized apps and apps that make use of hardware. But no need for netflix app, angry birds app etc. that everyone clamors for.
    12-10-11 03:23 PM
143 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD