Hello Guys,

So since I bought my PlayBook I have been converting videos on my laptop so that they work on the PlayBook. I personally either convert unsupported video formats to AVI or MPEG4, and the unsupported audio portion to either mp3 or AAC. I use Avidemux (a free multi-platform video editor). It's a good program and the converted videos play well using VLC media player or Windows Media Player.

However, when using my PlayBook to play the same videos that work on my computer, videos converted to AVI/Mp3, most times don't play at all and when I convert videos to MPEG4/Mp3 the video plays but most times without sound. The combination that always works is MPEG4/AAC.

I find this odd as AVI and Mp3 are supported by the PlayBook. Has anyone had issues with playing converted videos on the PlayBook, and what are some other software you guys use besides Foxreal?

--Bounce
    08-18-11 04:44 PM
    Odd - according to my documentation those should work fine.

Perhaps you are using a bad format for the .avi? You using Divx, Xvid, h.264, mp4 ???

I once had a problem with mp4 and the sound - I discovered that for some reason either my converter or the PB didn't like the 256kbps bitrate, and it started working when I dropped it down to 192kbps.

I use the built in converter of my jetAudio media player using .avi and h.264/mp3 and it works fine.
    08-18-11 04:58 PM
    DVD Catalyst is great for ripping DVD's to play on your PB. It even has preset output specs for the PB. The program can apparently convert popular video formats as well, but I haven't tried that. Might be worth looking into.
    Last edited by Infiniti14; 08-18-11 at 05:08 PM.
    08-18-11 04:59 PM
    Thanks guys! Overshadow, the codec I'm using is DivX and I really cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong. but I will play around with it somewhere and post my findings if I find anything.

Thanks for the quick responses!

--Bounce
    08-18-11 05:10 PM
    Oddly enough, Divx is NOT one of the supported codec types - http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...WiUgcA&cad=rja

Crazy, I know.
    08-18-11 05:26 PM
    I downloaded handbrake and used the ipad format, it works great...I'm shrinking break bad as we speak!
    08-18-11 05:50 PM
    @OverShadow Really? I converted a video file to MPEG4/AAC which plays well on the PlayBook and DIVX was the codec used.... well according to the file info given by Avidemux
    Last edited by bounce007; 08-18-11 at 05:57 PM.
    08-18-11 05:54 PM
    I guess "supported" is different from "yah, sort of works" :P
    08-18-11 06:31 PM
    I guess "supported" is different from "yah, sort of works" :P
    I suppose so... I wonder if they might have over looked DivX and didn't know it worked so they left it off the document lol... who knows
    08-18-11 06:37 PM
    With nothing better to do, I decided to impot some dvd's onto my kludgebook. I bought the Any DVD Converter prog to do the dirty work as anything free in my experience comes with lots of diseases. Anyway, had a few problems at first, like loads of artifacts (pixilation?) in dark scenes on the PB. I found some advice here in these forums, wish I could remember who to thank.
    Bottom line for good video transfer: Customized mp4 movie output profile; x264 codec; 1024x600 frame size (Any DVD lets you custom enter if not in the populated drop down); 2000 vid bitrate; aac audio codec; 320 audio bitrate;48000 sample rate; Basic a/v sync.
    Takes forever to convert and uses a lot of drive space on the PB, but it does work. If anyone has refinements on the theme, post up please as I'm a noober at this too.
    08-18-11 06:49 PM
    Very nice Beakman,

Avidemux does the trick for me now but eventually I will give Any DVD a try. I really appreciate your post.

Thanks much

--Bounce
    08-18-11 06:52 PM
    Very nice Beakman,

Avidemux does the trick for me now but eventually I will give Any DVD a try. I really appreciate your post.

Thanks much

--Bounce
    No prob. I don't know why more people do this. Whenever I ask for advice 9 out of 10 I get admonished for not doing a search and the thread degrades into a fanboyfest.
    08-18-11 07:17 PM
    You may want to try DVDVideoSoft FreeStudio convert and download anything

http://www.dvdvideosoft.com/free-dvd-video-software.htm

It work for me very well

Denis
    02-11-12 12:11 PM
    You may want to try DVDVideoSoft FreeStudio convert and download anything

Free software: video converter, ipod converter, mp4 converter

It work for me very well

Denis
    Which of "too many" tools did you use for convert a dvd to a video file for the pb? Which output format? Did you tweak the settings or just go with some standard?

I will say that I am trying to convert a self-created dvd that I made a few years back using a Magix program. It is a slide show with fades/transitions/titles made into a dvd that does play in my dvd player. But some of the converters are making its transitions a bit "blocky" (pixelated but not a lot). I'm trying to have it some out in a decent quality for the pb.

I did find where the "command lines" are for the mp4/blackberry but I'm not sure if those are the best and/or could be changed/tweaked.

Thanks in advance.
    02-11-12 02:59 PM
    Have anyone tried converting Videos with VLC Player. They have this function to convert to whatever format you want from whatever it is.

I converted an MKV file and uses selected the default profile: Video - H.264 + AAC (MP4) and semes good

The only downside.. Its damm slow. If the movie is 1hr, you conversion time is 1hr!!

- Charles
    03-13-12 07:32 AM
    is there a video player that will convert this on the fly so we don't have to convert before saving to playbook?, in Ipad air video works converting on the fly for avi files
    01-24-13 09:19 AM
    Kalemsoft Media Player will play virtually anything you can throw at it- no need to convert anything. Also Streaming Now will convert video or remux the audio for unsuppoted audio codecs (the native player can play most video types- it's problem is playing videos with ac3 audio, which is not supported). Remuxing a 2 hour movie would typically take 7 or 8 minutes. Both are paid apps in app world.
    01-24-13 09:34 AM
    Kalemsoft Media Player will play virtually anything you can throw at it- no need to convert anything. Also Streaming Now will convert video or remux the audio for unsuppoted audio codecs (the native player can play most video types- it's problem is playing videos with ac3 audio, which is not supported). Remuxing a 2 hour movie would typically take 7 or 8 minutes. Both are paid apps in app world.
    i dont mind paying as long as it works, so this will dlna to my shared folder on my computer too? from inside home network
    01-24-13 09:42 AM
    i dont mind paying as long as it works, so this will dlna to my shared folder on my computer too? from inside home network
    I haven't used Kalemsoft to stream from my PC, but it should do it, and Streaming Now definitely will- though you may need to convert or remux the video first (and as noted- this can be done by the app itself).
    01-24-13 09:58 AM
    can anybody suggest a free app to stream videos from shared PC folder within the network? besides plex
    01-24-13 10:07 AM
    Ghost Commander (under Windows share) in app world, or if you're into sideloading, ES File Explorer or X-Plore.
    naughtyca likes this.
    01-24-13 11:04 AM
    I use freemake video and audio converter.as the name says its free and has a blackberry playbook converter tab.it converts it to mp4 video and aac audio,this is the prefered file type on playbook.the problem you may be having is the difference in audio bitrate conversion allthough you can use mp3 video players can be quirky with the bitrate e.g 128kbits or 320kbits.some will accept both ,some either or.hope this helps
    01-26-13 09:39 AM
    I use freemake video and audio converter.as the name says its free and has a blackberry playbook converter tab.it converts it to mp4 video and aac audio,this is the prefered file type on playbook.the problem you may be having is the difference in audio bitrate conversion allthough you can use mp3 video players can be quirky with the bitrate e.g 128kbits or 320kbits.some will accept both ,some either or.hope this helps
    this is a good program,,, BUT,,, my antivirus (it's a good one) quarantined an .exe from this program as a threat,,, so i recommend doing a good scan on it before using it...
    01-26-13 11:40 AM
    So what kind of threat your antivirus is detecting with this freemake video converter?... my antivirus doesn't detect any malicious or spyware threat with this program... I used another converter before, but this is one of the most simplest video converter you can find and use... it is very straight forward and easy to use... and most of all, it is free! but whatever your antivirus is detecting is probably the payback time... as they say, there is no such thing as "free"...
    01-26-13 12:12 PM
    So what kind of threat your antivirus is detecting with this freemake video converter?... my antivirus doesn't detect any malicious or spyware threat with this program... I used another converter before, but this is one of the most simplest video converter you can find and use... it is very straight forward and easy to use... and most of all, it is free! but whatever your antivirus is detecting is probably the payback time... as they say, there is no such thing as "free"...
    not sure what the threat was but my antivirus quarantined an .exe file & i deleted it,,, did a couple of rescans & it's gone,,, great program, just putting out the info,,, i'm really security concious so i scan everything before downloading,,, i didn't pick anything up during initial scan but found the file later when i checked the quantine bin,,, sometimes things get put in there without a notification to me,,, my post is to just to reiterate be careful...
    01-26-13 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD