HI FOLKS!! HOW DO I CHANGE THE FORMAT OF MY VIDEO FROM .mkv to .mp4 IN ORDER TO PLAY IN THE PLAYBOOK. GIVE ME A SOFTWARE FOR FREE AND IT IS STILL HD EVEN IF I CONVERT IT THANK YOU
    09-12-13 09:57 PM
    The Playbook will play mkv video so long as the audio codecs used are not ac3 (generally speaking). No conversion is necessary. If the audio is ac3, remux the audio using Xvid4PSP or Avidemux. Alternatively, buy Kalemsoft Media Plyer from app world, which will play virually anything without converting.
    09-12-13 10:09 PM
    Ok. Thank you very much!
    09-12-13 10:33 PM
    I just wanted to double confirm what pacoman was suggesting. I have spent many hours converting some of my existing media, .avi, .mpg, .vob, etc to work on my playbooks. I've used dvdfab, freemake and others to convert, but the process is time consuming.
    I finally broke down and bought Kalemsoft (simply from reading the comments in these forums)....and it is well worth it!!
    It will even read the raw files from the camcorder (.mts)
    Highly recommended!

The Playbook will play mkv video so long as the audio codecs used are not ac3 (generally speaking). No conversion is necessary. If the audio is ac3, remux the audio using Xvid4PSP or Avidemux. Alternatively, buy Kalemsoft Media Plyer from app world, which will play virually anything without converting.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-12-13 11:13 PM
    If the problem is AC3 audio (as opposed to something slightly unusual about the video encoding...) it's really easy to resolve this in avidemux (some versions allow batching up of runs of this, too, so you could do a few at a time). It doesn't take long to do, since the only thing you have to do is convert / re-encode the audio then mux it all back together again.

So in avidemux, you'd open your mkv file, on the left hand side, under the audio section, which will likely default to copy, from the drop-down select what audio you prefer - if you're happy with stereo audio in your target file, mp3 is probably most compatible (but you may need to downmix the channels in a later step), if you want to retain any multi-channel audio you can select aac. Clicking on configure will allow you to set the bitrate, and filters would be where you need to downmix, if you're going from multi-channel audio to stereo.

After that, below, in Format, select mkv, then click on the file menu at the top -> save -> save video, put in your new filename and let it redo the audio for you.

If you want to do batches at a time, well I remember reading that they removed batch processing from some releases, but I currently use 2.5.3 and 2.5.4 of avidemux, and batch processing is still in those versions.
    09-13-13 04:33 AM
    Save yourself some aggravation and get KalemSoft Media Player.
    It will play nearly anything and has some other added benefits like remembering where you left off watching a video.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-13-13 04:55 AM
    Save yourself some aggravation and get KalemSoft Media Player.
    It will play nearly anything and has some other added benefits like remembering where you left off watching a video.
    I wouldn't argue that it's simpler to do that - and I've got no beef with Kalemsoft as an app - it seems very highly and deservedly regarded.

All the same, some will likely see less battery life whilst watching video, if there's more soft work being done.

On the other hand, understanding more about video and audio codec support, and minor manipulation and the understanding that comes with it, are priceless. Often people don't understand why things don't work, and never bother, just going with a simpler silver bullet. But here's the thing - learning a bit more about it, will see you better equipped for when a video file won't play on another device, that may not have a killer video app.

The biggest and most rewarding lesson I learnt from using portable video playback devices (the first one I kept and used for some years, being my Archos AV440) was better understanding about containers, codecs, encoding and manipulation. Now I'm not advocating everybody immerse themselves in it and become experts, but a little understanding, and converting and remuxing an audio stream is not aggravation, it's very simple.
    ChrisMay and jonce2012 like this.
    09-13-13 05:11 AM
    While your explanation sounds enlightening I doubt the OP is interested in why his .mkv files don't work.
    The conversion process has been explained several times in this forum. He didn't bother to look it up.
    09-13-13 06:29 AM
    While your explanation sounds enlightening I doubt the OP is interested in why his .mkv files don't work.
    The conversion process has been explained several times in this forum. He didn't bother to look it up.
    Well the title of the thread was "converting video format to playbook" as opposed to "video app for the playbook that will play practically anything" - so I'm not so sure the OP isn't interested in why his mkv files don't currently work, or understanding how to remediate them.

I'm not against people taking the path of least resistance, and all - but the thread subject and OP was actually requesting info on how to convert. By all means, people can dumb down and just buy an app - but all the same, there's nothing wrong in pointing out the value of learning.

In this instance, it can be very quick and easy to correct video files not playing just because of AC3 audio, and if people do so, they've a) learnt something useful ii) given themselves a springboard into thinking they can correct other future problems, and 3) or c) do so in a way that doesn't compromise the HD resolution of their video, or demand they use and pay for an additional app.

They may be happy to buy an additional app, but it's not as if the techie details are beyond people, there's nothing wrong in giving and explaining a DIY alternative, that costs nothing, and benefits you by giving you a little understanding and perhaps fostering a similar approach in the future.
    Last edited by Wongsky; 09-13-13 at 08:28 AM.
    09-13-13 06:41 AM
    Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish; and you have fed him for a lifetime
    I like handbrake. A member here posted some presets for the PlayBook. CanadianThomas I think it was.
    Download the program and import the attached preset. A couple clicks a you can convert almost anything to the preferred format for PlayBook or anything else you choose.
    By changing the video bitrate you can make the file as big or small as needed. The preset is set for 5000. I use that for Playback on my big screen but lower the bitrate to 1500 or less if the video will only be playing on a small screen.

** I had to change the file to .txt to upload it here. You may have to change it back to .plist before importing into Handbrake. Right click the file>properties>change PlaybookHD.txt to PlaybookHD.plist.> ok> done
    Attached Files
    09-13-13 11:43 AM
    The whole point in not using Handbrake or any other video converter is that conversion is generally not necessary. The Playbook will support most video formats- it's the audio contained within these videos that may not be supported by the PB. When this is the case, it's only necessary to convert, or remux, the audio. Remuxing a two hour movie can be done in seven or eight minutes. Converting the same movie can take as long as two hours or more, depending upon the output resolution and the power or the PC being used.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-13-13 02:35 PM
    The OP also asked for a FREE solution. A number of the suggestions can achieve that.
    09-13-13 03:23 PM
    I use Avidemux, which was mentioned in the first answer.

The suggestion to use KalemSoft was based on the other advantages the app has. If you are frequently using the Playbook to watch videos the limitations of the stock player soon wear thin.
    09-13-13 03:44 PM
    I use Avidemux, which was mentioned in the first answer.

The suggestion to use KalemSoft was based on the other advantages the app has. If you are frequently using the Playbook to watch videos the limitations of the stock player soon wear thin.
    Well everybody's mileage no doubt varies, but I find the stock video player perfectly good, hasn't worn thin with me in the slightest, and I use it daily - the only thing it doesn't do that I'd like is resume / book mark. But in terms of performance, I find it excellent. Video codec support is thorough, the only notable issue many will have with downloaded video is lack of support for AC3 / DD audio.

And that is a quick and easy fix.

People may decide to go and buy Kalemsoft on merit, but in order to play MKV files, it's not required. And dealing with AC3 / DD audio in video files, is easy enough to resolve in a quick fashion, WITHOUT having to re-encode video.
    09-13-13 04:26 PM
    The only mkv file I've been able to play had mp3 audio. No mkv file with AAC( not ac-3) will even show up in the video player list, never mind play(when trying to open the file from Ghost Commander).
    10-17-13 12:21 PM
    The only mkv file I've been able to play had mp3 audio. No mkv file with AAC( not ac-3) will even show up in the video player list, never mind play(when trying to open the file from Ghost Commander).
    I've played plenty of MKVs with aac audio. In fact, I often convert MKVs with AC3 audio to AAC if I want to retain multichannel audio.

I suspect it's more likely the video codec - because MKVs with AC3 audio show up in the video player, and I think even get thumbnails, they just won't play.

What does mediainfo say about the video encoding of these MKVs - 'cos I doubt it's got anything to do with the audio.
    10-17-13 01:55 PM
    I read mixed comments on whether certain mkv files play or not. If not: You either have to convert it or acquire one of the Video apps that can play such files.
    10-17-13 02:06 PM
    I read mixed comments on whether certain mkv files play or not. If not: You either have to convert it or acquire one of the Video apps that can play such files.
    The problem is, there's loads of misinformation, usually because people who don't really understand the subject that well, say some pretty damned sweeping things.

I'll repeat, the PlayBook can handle the MKV container just peachy. It won't play AC3 audio, in the stock video player - but in my experience, that doesn't stop MKVs from showing in the video app, nor from thumbnails being present for the video - it just won't play when you try to.

It's perfectly possible for some of the video encoding for various containers, to not be compliant - I've encountered it, but I have to say, rarely, and not limited to MKV videos (sometimes AVI, sometimes mp4).

Despite all that, as stock, I maintain, the PlayBook has a generous gamut of video codec compatibility. As a generalism, MKVs will play just fine, so long as they don't have either AC3 or dts audio.

As to the suggestion that MKV files with AAC audio won't play, that's complete bobbins, I've played countless MKVs with AAC audio - either it was using that codec anyways, or in countless cases I've converted AC3 audio to AAC audio for MKVs.

For anybody who's got compatibility problems, post the audio and video codec encoding details from mediainfo, and that will likely be quite revealling as to why a particular file won't play.
    Angus_CB likes this.
    10-17-13 03:15 PM
    10-17-13 04:37 PM
    I can play MKV files with AAC stereo audio with the stock Video player, and the vids do show up in the app. I can't comment on MKVs with multi channel AAC audio, since I don't have any such vids to test.
    10-17-13 05:00 PM
    A few examples:
    Code:
    Format                           : Matroska
    Format version                   : Version 2
    File size                        : 70.4 MiB
    Duration                         : 1mn 38s
    Overall bit rate mode            : Variable
    Overall bit rate                 : 5 986 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2012-01-06 19:24:47
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.9.1 ('Ich will') built on Jul 11 2011 23:53:15
    Writing library                  : libebml v1.2.1 + libmatroska v1.1.1

Video
    ID                               : 1
    Format                           : AVC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                   : [email protected]
    Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
    Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Nominal bit rate                 : 5 866 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 40.0 Mbps
    Width                            : 1 280 pixels
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 50.000 fps
    Color space                      : YUV
    Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                        : 8 bits
    Scan type                        : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.127
    Writing library                  : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
    Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 /
     psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / 
    deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=9 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 /
     decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 /
     b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=50 / keyint_min=5 / 
    scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5866 / ratetol=1.0 / 
    qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=40000 /
     vbv_bufsize=30000 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Default                          : Yes
    Forced                           : No
    Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    ID                               : 2
    Format                           : AAC
    Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                   : LC
    Codec ID                         : A_AAC
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Compression mode                 : Lossy
    Code:
    ormat                           : Matroska
    Format version                   : Version 4 / Version 2
    File size                        : 38.4 MiB
    Duration                         : 2mn 13s
    Overall bit rate                 : 2 414 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2013-04-29 19:54:29
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v6.1.0 ('Old Devil') built on Mar  2 2013 14:32:37
    Writing library                  : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
    Height                           : 688 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 1.860
    Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps

Audio
    Format profile                   : HE-AAC / LC
    Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
    Delay relative to video          : 23ms

Text
    ID                               : 3
    Format                           : UTF-8
    Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Language                         : Swedish
    10-18-13 07:49 AM
    A few examples:
    Code:
    Format                           : Matroska
    Format version                   : Version 2
    File size                        : 70.4 MiB
    Overall bit rate mode            : Variable
    Overall bit rate                 : 5 986 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2012-01-06 19:24:47
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.9.1 ('Ich will') built on Jul 11 2011 23:53:15
    Writing library                  : libebml v1.2.1 + libmatroska v1.1.1

Video
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
    Bit rate mode                    : Variable
    Nominal bit rate                 : 5 866 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate                 : 40.0 Mbps
    Height                           : 720 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
    Frame rate                       : 50.000 fps
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.127
    Writing library                  : x264 core 116 r2074 2641b9e
    Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=7 /
     psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / 
    deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=9 / sliced_threads=0 / slices=4 / nr=0 /
     decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=1 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=1 /
     b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=0 / keyint=50 / keyint_min=5 / 
    scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5866 / ratetol=1.0 / 
    qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=40000 /
     vbv_bufsize=30000 / nal_hrd=vbr / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
    Color primaries                  : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4, SMPTE RP177
    Transfer characteristics         : BT.709-5, BT.1361
    Matrix coefficients              : BT.709-5, BT.1361, IEC 61966-2-4 709, SMPTE RP177

Audio
    Format profile                   : LC
    Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
    Code:
    ormat                           : Matroska
    Format version                   : Version 4 / Version 2
    File size                        : 38.4 MiB
    Overall bit rate                 : 2 414 Kbps
    Encoded date                     : UTC 2013-04-29 19:54:29
    Writing application              : mkvmerge v6.1.0 ('Old Devil') built on Mar  2 2013 14:32:37
    Writing library                  : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.0

Video
    Format settings, ReFrames        : 4 frames
    Height                           : 688 pixels
    Display aspect ratio             : 1.860
    Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps

Audio
    Format profile                   : HE-AAC / LC
    Channel(s)                       : 6 channels
    Channel positions                : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
    Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
    Delay relative to video          : 23ms

Text
    ID                               : 3
    Format                           : UTF-8
    Codec ID                         : S_TEXT/UTF8
    Codec ID/Info                    : UTF-8 Plain Text
    Language                         : Swedish
    What happens - do they not show in the video player app, do they show, but no thumbnail, or do they show, have a thumbnail, but just won't play?

I've just tested on my PlayBook with some MKVs with the same type of audio, and video codec, in the mkv container, and they play fine.

I suspect it's some nuance of how the video has been encoded, that's not within the PlayBooks stock compatibility, but it's not the container or audio, that I can see.

What's the source of the video - look to be quite brief videos - is it a video camera of some sort?
    10-18-13 11:27 AM