The PlayBook taught a lot of people a valuable lesson about BlackBerry devices. For me, it only reenforced what I already knew. Whenever BlackBerry feels the desire, they can stop software support for the hardware they charged you to borrow from them.

Look at the tablets that were released around the same time as the PlayBook was. I can't remember all of them, but I do remember the Motorola Xoom and the HP TouchPad, both of those tablets can be updated to KitKat right now. In fact, the TouchPad just got a new KitKat build yesterday.

For the most part, the PlayBook has the same internal hardware as the Galaxy Nexus. It could easily be made to run KitKat, but too bad, you don't get to make decisions like that for the hardware you paid good money for.

So why is it that owners of the TouchPad and Xoom still get software support for their devices today while the PlayBook sits abandoned? Because they actually own their hardware. TouchPad and Xoom owners are free to unlock the bootloader on their device and install unofficial software.

BlackBerry never let's you actually own the hardware you paid for. You might think you own it, but daddy BlackBerry dictates how you'll use it.

Every time I think about the PlayBook, I'm reminded that I need to sell my Q10 before they decided to pull the plug on BB10 and leave it unsupported like they did with their tablet.

Once that happens, it will be the PlayBook fiasco all over again, except on a larger scale.
    look_alive likes this.
    05-10-14 08:28 AM
    Newsflash: Playbook is dead. My Playbook is basically an expensive paper weight/back-up surfer. When BBRY turned its back on Playbook, it turned its back on the loyalist few that bought into a BBRY hardware ecosystem. In many ways, for me, it made it much easier to go with my iPhone and iPad.
    jh07 likes this.
    05-10-14 09:05 AM
    Some people (in this thread and some of the other similar ones) seem to fail to grasp the irony that they’re telling people to shut up about the Playbook “already” on a Playbook forum. The “loyalists” as someone called them, have every right to post here, or so it would seem, the people who only come here for the occasional “the Playbook is dead, get over it” comment, could, however, conceivably be considered "trolls". I’m sure that if the “loyalists” were to venture out into the rest of Crackberry, they would be considered "trolls" as well, but within the confines of a Playbook forum discussing and fantasizing about said Playbook would seem to be acceptable behavior.
    05-10-14 11:07 AM
    Some people (in this thread and some of the other similar ones) seem to fail to grasp the irony that they�re telling people to shut up about the Playbook �already� on a Playbook forum. The �loyalists� as someone called them, have every right to post here, or so it would seem, the people who only come here for the occasional �the Playbook is dead, get over it� comment, could, however, conceivably be considered "trolls". I�m sure that if the �loyalists� were to venture out into the rest of Crackberry, they would be considered "trolls" as well, but within the confines of a Playbook forum discussing and fantasizing about said Playbook would seem to be acceptable behavior.
    And yet the mods think its totally acceptable...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    badiyee and Boight like this.
    05-10-14 02:11 PM
    I don't want to criticise the moderating team in any way, I am just pointing out that the textbook definition (if there is such a thing) of a troll generally points to people who merely visit a thread/forum to disrupt. Like I said, there is some irony involved.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    05-10-14 02:22 PM
    Wow, a lot of people on here are extremely childish.

Bailing on a platform because a 3-year-old device is no longer supported? Yes, Thor shouldn't have promised BB10 for it; but should you really hold that against the new management? They're trying to make the company profitable so that they can keep bringing BB10 to us - for that, I think the Playbook should die a million times over!

Look...they don't have the money to throw at this. If they did, it would have happened. Chen is making a business decision...and a tough one at that.

Don't get me wrong, I still want a Playbook! I've never owned one or even used one but I like the devices that BlackBerry have been making with QNX so I will still get one.

This is like being mad at Apple because the iPad 1 is no longer supported (Yes, I know it came out a year before the Playbook)...

Don't you buy devices based on what they are at the time and not what they might, possibly, hypothetically be at some point in the distant future?

That being said, I think that Bridge should be supported until it has full functionality.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    05-10-14 03:11 PM
    Some people (in this thread and some of the other similar ones) seem to fail to grasp the irony that they’re telling people to shut up about the Playbook “already” on a Playbook forum. The “loyalists” as someone called them, have every right to post here, or so it would seem, the people who only come here for the occasional “the Playbook is dead, get over it” comment, could, however, conceivably be considered "trolls". I’m sure that if the “loyalists” were to venture out into the rest of Crackberry, they would be considered "trolls" as well, but within the confines of a Playbook forum discussing and fantasizing about said Playbook would seem to be acceptable behavior.
    Trolling is when the "Officials" here add expert options like BlackBerry is not down with the PlayBook that should be enough for you to see the crowd you are trying to talk some sense into. BlackBerry has the ability to make the best tablets and phones and have proven this with the PlayBook and now the Q10.
    05-10-14 06:20 PM
    It's time to lay the cards on the table.

The BlackBerry PlayBook Petition for continued support has raised 785 signatures to date. Not bad when you consider the help we've had from anyone outside this Community = Zero.

I do though now sense frustration from the PlayBook community. Phone contracts are coming to an end. There will be decisions to be made. We all like to keep our keep our Business and personal stuff in sync via one Tablet and phone provider...I know I do for security and ease, similar apps etc.

Will Blackberry's refusal to address the request for continued support from Blackberry's most loyal fans just drive us all away from the brand altogether? Do you look on this campaign as a test to see if BlackBerry is listening? Wants to listen and engage its most loyal. Be honest now...think about it..will this failure by BlackBerry to respond to this campaign be the straw that broke the camels back and you will have to 'reluctantly' walk away and move to another brand with a supported Tablet & Phone setup? I personally have invested a lot in BlackBerry, time and support and a lot of others have and more. I don't want to go anywhere, but I know for a fact the PlayBook us not only what us at stake here. It's the phones as well. We need a response from BlackBerry and representation from CrackBerry before we all walk away from not just the PlayBook...

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    How would <800 signatures signify to BlackBerry in any way that it makes any sense to use their limited resources and time on resurrecting the PB.

Down the road another tablet maybe, but the PB has come and gone.
    05-10-14 07:55 PM
    There's pretty much two devices that have soured people on BlackBerry.
    • BlackBerry Storm
    • BlackBerry PlayBook

Fact remains, no matter how many signatures are involved. BlackBerry is done with the PlayBook. It did nothing for them in the long run. It cost them more money than it was worth and clearly, will continue to cost them money in the long run.
    05-10-14 08:03 PM
    • BlackBerry Storm
    • BlackBerry PlayBook
    And ironically, it's those two devices that made me admire blackberry for thinking "out of the box" and making some truly unique devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 08:09 PM
    • BlackBerry Storm
    • BlackBerry PlayBook

Fact remains, no matter how many signatures are involved. BlackBerry is done with the PlayBook.
    This was frustrating as the PB was ahead of the competition in many ways. Yet lacking basic functions, especially ones that would be expected for a BB/productivity device, were the nails in the coffin IMO.
    05-10-14 08:09 PM
    And ironically, it's those two devices that made me admire blackberry for thinking "out of the box" and making some truly unique devices.

Posted via CB10
    Agree, they gambled and lost but they were willing to take the risks. And if they never attempted to make a tablet people would be complaining that is why they are in trouble.
    05-10-14 08:12 PM
    Who do you think BlackBerry cares more about? The loyal customers or the major stock holders. Yes we all like our BlackBerrys, but so far BB 10 has been a failure, when it comes to earnings. Early January of 2013 the stock was at $18 with the expectations of BB10. The stock was actually going down when Heins was talking when he revealed the devices January 30th. Chen would be laughed out of his position if he suggested to spend another dollar on the PlayBook. They don't really have money to spend on real advertising on their new devices.

Posted via CB10
    05-10-14 08:39 PM
    785 signatures is not putting pressure on anybody. Much as I still have affection for my PB, I am willing to accept that its time has come and gone. I'm merely waiting to get bored or for the PB to die, then I will get one of the myriad solid and reasonably priced tablets out there on the market today.
    WorldwideRemix likes this.
    05-10-14 10:13 PM
    785 signatures is not putting pressure on anybody.
    I wouldn't change my breakfast cereal for 785 signatures, let alone invest $10,000s - $100,000s into something that already failed and with other companies having improved their offerings since then.
    05-10-14 10:40 PM
    I use my Playbook daily. I'm going to try a little Playbook-PC project by hooking the tablet up to an external screen with HDMI, and then using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse to see how things go. Then again, my main desktop is a 16 year old machine that is running Linux.
    05-10-14 11:11 PM
    05-11-14 12:01 AM
    At this point, as long as they just let them activate and debrick when necessary, allow BAR files to be signed, keep BBW open so I can download the apps I've paid for/buy more apps and don't break the damn Bridge functions again, I'm fine. It'll make a nice tool to learn programming stuff on.

I have a Z10, a custom gold Q10 that I built, and a Z30 is headed my way around Tuesday or Wednesday. My S/O has a Z30 as well. It would be ridiculous to dump those devices just to have a tantrum over the PlayBook's OS when it still works just fine.

Posted via CB10
    05-11-14 01:44 AM
    I have a PlayBook and it still turns heads when I pull it out. Usually because of the display when watching a 1080p movie. I use my PlayBook to watch movies and read books, everything else I do on my Z30. I am not walking away form BlackBerry because of the PlayBook, I am a satisfied user. Love the HDMI out which most tablets don't have and the wireless connect. BlackBerry has turned the page and it does not include the playbook. Since purchasing the Z30 I only use the PlayBook when I am at home or occasionally when on the train as I said to read a book or watch a movie. All devices eventually die and at some point I will need to purchase another tablet, I hope it will be a BlackBerry. I am sure It will not be a PlayBook.
    Last edited by Taede; 05-11-14 at 02:52 AM.
    Fire In The Bones likes this.
    05-11-14 02:41 AM
    Yes, playbook is nice and all. But they have to use whatever resources they have left to keep going on, not drag another OS behind
    05-11-14 03:13 AM
    on topic:

I honestly see this as a very passionate plea from PlayBook owners. The comparison with Acer Iconia A500, Motorolla Xoom is considered valid, seeing that the BlackBerry has a better processor + GPU (in relative terms) to the two Android devices, yet the upgrades available can be considered abysmal (especially the lack of a FULL BRIDGE functionality, which at one point was available then locked away)

off topic:

trolls will be trolls, and even in designated areas like here, where it is a playbook discussion section, people come in with their high and mighty horses "SEE I TOLD YOU SO HA HA HA" just want to rub it in, but I think the moderating team isn't even going to bother. If people engage the trolls, the counter goes high. That's what they want. Not about us PlayBook owners talking to ourselves.

Or maybe we should start to be as controversial (by kicking up a storm) amongst ourselves, then maybe the trolls get kicked out while we duke it amongst ourselves.

But then, who cares when its a discussion for PlayBook owners and these trolls come and cry "see I told you so, move on bla bla bla bla bla".

again on topic:

785 signatures is abysmally low, for I think about 100k PlayBooks released into the wild?
    05-11-14 05:42 AM
    • BlackBerry Storm
    • BlackBerry PlayBook

Fact remains, no matter how many signatures are involved. BlackBerry is done with the PlayBook. It did nothing for them in the long run. It cost them more money than it was worth and clearly, will continue to cost them money in the long run.
    I understand, but in my opinion it will cost BlackBerry more in loyal fans walking away than a small amount of Support, for what is to some integral to the BlackBerry experience of Phone and Tablet. I am speaking for some, not all, but when phone contracts are done, with no Tablet support, the new phone will not be a BlackBerry, due to the way they have been treated by BlackBerry with the PlayBook. They have stuck with BB10 phones, great phones for the enthusiasts like us all here, but not exactly a raving success in the mobile world with similar losses to the PlayBook. Who now knows if BB10 support will go the same way and the forums will be full, on a bigger scale, of 'BB10 is dead, get over it, move on' For some the dropping of PlayBook support will be 'the straw that broke the camels back'

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    scrapmetal58 and wired cleric like this.
    05-11-14 06:44 AM
    At this point, as long as they just let them activate and debrick when necessary, allow BAR files to be signed, keep BBW open so I can download the apps I've paid for/buy more apps and don't break the damn Bridge functions again, I'm fine. It'll make a nice tool to learn programming stuff on.
    +1
    If Blackberry could make this commitment in an official statement, I'm sure a lot of us could be placated.
    We wouldn't be happy, but we might shut up about it after that...
    05-11-14 06:45 AM
    The only thing that I would want for my playbook, is an unlocked bootloader so we can have the freedom to do what we want with them.

Either that, or just give us an updated Android bootloader. the ONLY thing I want for my Playbook is to install Plex and Netflix, and mount it in my car for long trips. Otherwise I have absolutely no use for it, and it's on my night-stand as a coaster.
    look_alive likes this.
    05-11-14 09:01 AM
    OP I'll answer your question first by saying the playbook fiasco will not deter me from scouting BlackBerry products in the future.

Even pissed-off-playbook-diehard-holdouts that gripe about [lack of] product support will scramble to be the first in line to buy the next BlackBerry, whatever it will be.... if it has the holy **** wow factor.

Then it'll be the Playbook? Oh yeah, I remember that thing..but this, this is really cool. Then on we go..
    05-11-14 09:34 AM
100 1234