The only thing that I would want for my playbook, is an unlocked bootloader
    Dream on! It's a nice dream, though.
    Blackberry will never unlock the bootloader. It's a security thing that has been discussed many times before and I don't feel qualified to give you a more thorough explanation.
    rthonpm likes this.
    05-11-14 10:22 AM
    Dream on! It's a nice dream, though.
    Blackberry will never unlock the bootloader. It's a security thing that has been discussed many times before and I don't feel qualified to give you a more thorough explanation.
    Security factor? Yet they aren't going to be updating it's security... lol..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    look_alive likes this.
    05-11-14 10:50 AM
    Security factor? Yet they aren't going to be updating it's security... lol..

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    If PB security is a factor as it would be for institutional users it will be updated for them and if necessary for the general public.
    05-11-14 11:26 AM
    Hirazi, once again spot on!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    So here's the deal. You want BlackBerry to continue to support a platform which will not generate a single dime for them at this point and not fully focus on BlackBerry 10 their actual product that needs to succeed?

I don't know how many times we have to tell you about obsolescence but maybe a few times and you'll get the message. The PlayBook was a fantastic hardware package when it came out. The software continued to lag behind the hardware and when BlackBerry was making positive strides, it was already too late. They missed their chance to make the PlayBook a truly successful tablet. Supporting it won't do anything except bleed cash. Although if you pay 99 dollars per month for PlayBook support we may be able to understand each other

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-11-14 11:53 AM
    I will stay. Current products are to good. I probably wouldn't have bought my playbook 6 months ago if I knew they were going to stop support, but glad I did, its a ripper. Still haven't seen BlackBerry say officially there is no support, just eol for 2.1, has anyone seen anything else official from BlackBerry? They might be working a newer version. Hopefully.

With the new investment in nanthealt and bringing out a new top end touchscreen phone for it, a tablet would be ideal. Imagine being a Doctor looking at 3D images and exrays on a 5 inch screen, I think a new tablet will come.
    05-11-14 02:19 PM
    The main problem we're facing here, isn't the question if there should be any more support/development/whatever for the Playbook. We can argue all day and night about that, call each other names in the process and still not be able to fully resolve the issue. It's a "dead" device, I think we can all agree on that, the question is, if the company should be allowed to bury it so easily. The main problem here isn't even what Blackberry ultimately will decide to do. I think the true problem lies in the way the company has communicated its intentions to the user base over the years. It would be nice to not be treated like cr*p for a change. Blackberry should really acknowledge the existence of a loyal Playbook fan base and should act accordingly. That would be the proper way to do things. And it would IMHO help tremendously in resolving any outstanding issues concerning the "future" of a "dead" product. To ultimately get the Playbook to "rest in peace", Blackberry should do their utmost to make the user base "rest in peace" also. A bit of PR could help people move on all that more easily...
    05-12-14 04:56 AM
    The PlayBook itself maybe dead... but apps and games on its BlackBerry world are still getting sales...

Posted via CB10
    05-12-14 06:36 AM
    Blackberry lost me when they came out with BB10 devices that had less support for the Playbook than OS7 devices.
    It was obvious at that point that Blackberry had no intentions of continued support for the Playbook yet they kept up the lie about Playbook getting BB10 for months.

All we use at work is Blackberry but we still don't support BB10 devices. Although we haven't been told it sure looks like Blackberry is on it's way out at work too.
    05-12-14 03:56 PM
    There's pretty much two devices that have soured people on BlackBerry.
    • BlackBerry Storm
    • BlackBerry PlayBook

Fact remains, no matter how many signatures are involved. BlackBerry is done with the PlayBook. It did nothing for them in the long run. It cost them more money than it was worth and clearly, will continue to cost them money in the long run.
    I don't think it was the devices more how the company went about it. can't comment on the storm but in the case of the Playbook every single step of the way was a joke. Ok let's say BB10 could have ran on the Playbook albeit maybe toned down a bit. Could that have generated more sales of the device at a reasonable price rather than firesale. How many people didn't upgrade to a BB10 phone because of it? Take into account the bad feeling generated and lost revenue of phones, lost revenue on apps purchased via BB world not to mention the excess stock of PB and would it have been better even to break even by doing SOMETHING!
    That's by the by now anyway I suppose. At the time the agenda on the table should have been what do we need to do to get this thing selling. Putting more effort into that than running away would have been far more beneficial in the long term. Blackberry made themselves out to be a company that gives up when the pressures on.
    On top of that, there were also little things that could have been done in the mean time to limit pr damage but they stone walled all of them too.
    I hear what people are saying about the engineers no longer work there, it was Thor not Chen etc but please bare in mind that this has been on going for the last two years. The Playbook was only 12 months old when all this started.

Anyway, my relationship with Blackberry has been damaged. I try to keep in mind that it's supposedly a new company with new ideas under the steer of a new captain. Hopefully they will come out the other end and is the reason I haven't used up my due upgrade to switch to another platform yet. I'm waiting until eoy to see what happens before I decide.
    Right now nothing is inspiring me from future projects and the Z30 is just not enough to convince me to tie in to a two year contract from my Z10.

Ultimately, I buy Blackberry year on year regardless and have done for the last 6 years. I buy eqch of my family one for christmas and all 3 of my staff have legacy devices and Playbooks. When they ask when they are getting their upgrades I tell them not yet. I'm waiting to see. When I emailed BB to see what their intentions were with the Playbook they couldn't even be bothered to furnish me with a reply.

So, I guess you could say the result of the petition won't affect my next upgrade but many other negative factors will and when I'm standing in the shop looking at all the shiny new devices, many with a much better customer service and spec the thought that will cross my mind will be should I support BB in their hour of need, did they support me in mine?
    05-12-14 05:51 PM
    I was actually thinking the other night while on the Playbook. This whole episode started for me when facebook profile pics stopped working. Many,many moons ago. In the meantime I have managed to get the tablet into a pretty usable state by listening to people in the forums and workarounds. little or none of that advice came feom Blackberry themselves. Now as I see things are probably drawing to a close because of lack of accountability (reminds me of the UK government, wasn't us it was them, we inherited it) I find myself thinking, you know what, just fix the Facebook Profile Pics and Pi## off.
    05-12-14 06:00 PM
    Oh my, here we go again. Have you never lost money in any venture before? Even if PB was perfect when it was launched, it would be obsolete right now based on the rate of technological changes in the mobile industry. It's time to bury the hatchet and move on.
    agreed. this product is well beyond EOL. the company and the customers who they have left have moved on. its a noble cause but you would be better off spending your energy elsewhere. 800,000 signatures is a drop in the bucket, imagine what 800 is ...
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-13-14 06:12 AM
    How would <800 signatures signify to BlackBerry in any way that it makes any sense to use their limited resources and time on resurrecting the PB.

Down the road another tablet maybe, but the PB has come and gone.
    800 signature is nothing.
    As for another tablet from blackberry it may happen for enterprise user but that's it.
    If was not for bb current ceo being very talented fix complete disasters they would be worst much worst but problem remains the idiots that helped cause issue along with former co -ceo still remain.

BB lacks vision and focus by itself but current ceo as it but forgetting that they clients base is not only businesses.
    WorldwideRemix likes this.
    05-13-14 07:53 AM
    There's pretty much two devices that have soured people on BlackBerry.
    • BlackBerry Storm
    • BlackBerry PlayBook

Fact remains, no matter how many signatures are involved. BlackBerry is done with the PlayBook. It did nothing for them in the long run. It cost them more money than it was worth and clearly, will continue to cost them money in the long run.
    My BlackBerry device history is:
    Storm (stolen)
    Gap full of android devices.
    Q10 (secondary device)
    Z10 (main device)
    Playbook

I still keep coming back for more ;-p

As much as the storm had its serious problems I loved that phone, it was my first non-symbian s60 smartphone and I thought it was great (particularly the click screen) and os5 made that thing a viable smartphone. I had the odd twang of jealousy every time my friends pulled out their iPhones or HTC heros but none of them could compete with the keyboard or messaging features. I did feel like I wanted to smash the thing every time the littlevclock appeared on screen which was a few times a day but I miss it so much more than the note 2 I recently retired out of preference for bb10 or my xperia x10 both technically superior devices to the storm.

Likewise I think the playbook is flawed but really quite innovative, the multitasking is so quick, smooth and intuitive it really is a pleasure to use and there are a few tasks that you can't do on any tablet other than a windows one. The playbook was bought as a cheap toy that has blown away my expectations, yes it can be slow and the app situation is not amazing but it makes a better smart TV than many smart TV boxes. With the flash browser it has more catchup content available than any streaming device and looks quite neat face down under my TV! Hopefully BlackBerry blend will get even more life out of it as bridge is pretty limited for bbm groups which I use heavily and would be great to get on the tablet.

So yes I am a bit of a masochist with my devices but my storm started off my BlackBerry addiction which has culminated in a playbook. Not bad for the two devices that soured people on BlackBerry ;-)

Posted via CB10
    EchoesFX and scrapmetal58 like this.
    05-14-14 06:45 PM
    Same here. My first BlackBerry was an 8330 that had been handed down to me, and eventually I got frustrated and went to try Android for a while. I bought the PlayBook on a whim and I can say that is responsible for bringing me back and led to the purchase of four different BB10 devices for our household. It didn't sour everyone's view.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 07:03 PM
    I don't want to kill the hope but if you are going to read between the lines, BlackBerry has limited resources and that they don't want to bleed anymore. The current BB10 devices now have to wait for Blackberry classic devices just to get the OS10.3.1. Meaning, the OS10.3, which is being waited by BB10 users, will be skipped to 10.3.1 and upon the release of new BlackBerry classic devices.

If the current BB10 devices are even being sacrifice now, what do you expect to a device, like PlayBook, that has been abandoned long time ago? Although I also believe in miracles, but acceptance is the first move when you want to continue your life...

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 11:45 PM
    Do any other companies have dead item fan base support?

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    05-15-14 12:36 AM
    Same s**t different forum ;-) exact same threads on the forums for my Motorola Atrix (RIP) and my Xperia x10 when they went EOL, broken promises from motorola to about an android 4.0 update that was cancelled. These things happen, in terms of updates compared to android land the playbook is very well supported.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 04:10 AM
    Now that reminds me of acer and the Acer iconic a500 that I owned. The only thing that kept them going were the independent developers

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 04:25 AM
    Now that reminds me of acer and the Acer iconic a500 that I owned. The only thing that kept them going were the independent developers

Posted via CB10
    Too bad we don't get a choice for that from BBRY but we all knew that.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-15-14 at 07:22 AM. Reason: barf?
    05-15-14 07:10 AM
    There still would be room for improvement of the PB, even for "mere" third-party devs to achieve. Problem is most (if not all) third-party devs got scared off at some point...
    anon(5597702) and EchoesFX like this.
    05-15-14 07:37 AM
    There still would be room for improvement of the PB, even for "mere" third-party devs to achieve. Problem is most (if not all) third-party devs got scared off at some point...
    True and they can't fix the slow and the security and.,,,,,,,,
    05-15-14 07:44 AM
    Who says there isn't room there still? People need to stop bi***ing on CrackBerry about it and start coding. "Put up or shut up" basically. Perhaps if people did that a year ago, we wouldn't be having such pointless threads cluttering up the PlayBook forum.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 09:02 AM
    Perhaps if people did that a year ago, we wouldn't be having such pointless threads cluttering up the PlayBook forum.
    What happened here after the no-BB10 announcement did not provide a "nurturing" environment for further third-party development. You still must be able to dig up those discussions from the Crackberry archives. And the environment hasn't changed (that much) I'm afraid.
    05-15-14 10:26 AM
    What happened here after the no-BB10 announcement did not provide a "nurturing" environment for further third-party development. You still must be able to dig up those discussions from the Crackberry archives. And the environment hasn't changed (that much) I'm afraid.
    Yeah, I'll agree with that.

Isn't gonna stop me from trying to expand my own personal knowledge using hardware I own. Worst case scenario for me, I learn some skills that apply to other platforms too.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 11:14 AM
    Do any other companies have dead item fan base support?

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    Yes, WebOs and Hp Touchpad and Palm Pre/Pixi have an unbelievably rabid but tiny fan base support with some highly skilled devs and coders still very active and keeping these legacy devices going.
    05-15-14 02:17 PM
100 ... 234