After all the drama around the Playbook launch (bad reviews, AT&T Bridging, several software upgrades, etc.) I returned the Playbook that I bought on launch day. A few days later, I decided to give the Playbook another chance. I am now surprised about how happy I am. This is my assessment:

(1) I love the size. It is just right for travel and carrying around. It is well constructed and obviously a Premium device.
    (2) I love the OS and everything about it: speed, gestures, multitasking. It is extremely elegant and intuitive overall. All you need is an internet connection and you are off to the races - no PC required to set it up or to update software. It is very modern and makes other tablet OSs look primitive.
    (3) Content! The most surprising thing is how much there is to do. Movies, TV shows, games. No Apps required. Flash is really well implemented even if it needs a little work (I sometimes have trouble pressing the "full screen" button on a video). There are even some good apps which is a revelation for a Blackberry. All this on a two week old platform.
    (4) Bridging works pretty seamlessly.
    (5) I can use the Playbook to work on documents! I think that we are almost at the laptop replacement stage. I would not want to write a long memo on it but I could if I had to.

All this for a platform that has not been out a month is pretty impressive. I hope that some sites that trashed the Playbook give it a second look.

Of course, there is room for improvement. The biggest thing is native e-mail and contacts, of course. But, I am very happy.

Let's get QNX on some phones now. I'll be first in line!
    rrrebo likes this.
    05-04-11 09:03 AM
    After all the drama around the Playbook launch (bad reviews, AT&T Bridging, several software upgrades, etc.) I returned the Playbook that I bought on launch day. A few days later, I decided to give the Playbook another chance. I am now surprised about how happy I am. This is my assessment:

(1) I love the size. It is just right for travel and carrying around. It is well constructed and obviously a Premium device.
    (2) I love the OS and everything about it: speed, gestures, multitasking. It is extremely elegant and intuitive overall. All you need is an internet connection and you are off to the races - no PC required to set it up or to update software. It is very modern and makes other tablet OSs look primitive.
    (3) Content! The most surprising thing is how much there is to do. Movies, TV shows, games. No Apps required. Flash is really well implemented even if it needs a little work (I sometimes have trouble pressing the "full screen" button on a video). There are even some good apps which is a revelation for a Blackberry. All this on a two week old platform.
    (4) Bridging works pretty seamlessly.
    (5) I can use the Playbook to work on documents! I think that we are almost at the laptop replacement stage. I would not want to write a long memo on it but I could if I had to.

All this for a platform that has not been out a month is pretty impressive. I hope that some sites that trashed the Playbook give it a second look.

Of course, there is room for improvement. The biggest thing is native e-mail and contacts, of course. But, I am very happy.

Let's get QNX on some phones now. I'll be first in line!
    I'd have to agree with you on every point you made. I absolutely love everything about my PlayBook, the things everyone doesn't like, I honestly don't care about. This is an amazing device with incredible potential. As for the QNX phones, I can't wait. I don't think I'm going to even go for the OS7 phones, seems like a waste.
    05-04-11 09:06 AM
    I would mostly agree, the device is decent but it still needs more work. There are a lot of key apps that are missing (depending on your needs of course). Ebook readers that take 3rd party books, SSH clients, remote desktop clients, apps like Skype, Kindle etc.

Document editting is far from perfect and there seem to be a bunch of basic things missing (no embedded graphics in spreadsheets, no presentation editing).

Its good but I think it will be great in 6 months after the Java SDK and native SDK have been released and RIM has had time to release some big software updates.
    05-04-11 03:58 PM
    tip: instead of straining to press that pesky full screen button, just double tap on any flash video or application and it will automatically go to fullscreen
    jpg likes this.
    05-04-11 05:38 PM
    100% agree...I love my playbook.

My Wife not so much...why....because I won't put it down!

I don't think any one, not one person has said the PB is perfect but for what it is and how old it is it is a damn good start.

Truth is nothing is ever perfect and improvements can always be made. Does the PB need to improve? For sure. But does that make me love it any less? Not at all.

I love what I can do with it now and look forward to all the improvements and enhancements to come.
    05-04-11 05:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD