Have set up my pb to sync contacts with Gmail. Worked the first time around but I have had to massage the data in Gmail several times. End result is that the pb no longer syncs gmail contacts (works like a charm with outlook/hotmail).

Been doing quite a bit of reading - it appears that this is a common occurance. What I don't fully understand is the 'Sync Interval ' option in account settings. What does manual
    setting do? How does one initiate a sync?

Thanks
    03-18-13 10:13 AM
    I am not sure how you can sinc as you described
    here is what I do

1: I sinc my Outlook with my Gmail account on my desktop / laptop, mine sincs every 12 hours automatic
    2: Install your gmail account in to PB a a native account
    just open your gmail account on the PB and all should be there

the only problem is that is only hold 10,000 contacts

the same I do with calendre sync

works without a hitch
    03-18-13 03:40 PM
    Guess my question is really dumb.

Another one on the same subject - are synched contacts stored locally on the pb ( cant test it) . If an account that was used to sync contacts is removed will the contacts disappear from the pb?
    03-19-13 11:29 AM
    Managed to get the playbook to resync my gmail contacts.

I saved all my contacts to my pc using gmails export contacts feature. This created a zip file with 2 folders containing multiple csv files. I deleted all contact info (everything) in Gmail and performed a contacts import using allcontacts.csv that I downloaded previously.

All of my 420 contacts appeared on my playbook within a minute
    03-19-13 03:48 PM
    Managed to get the playbook to resync my gmail contacts.

I saved all my contacts to my pc using gmails export contacts feature. This created a zip file with 2 folders containing multiple csv files. I deleted all contact info (everything) in Gmail and performed a contacts import using allcontacts.csv that I downloaded previously.

All of my 420 contacts appeared on my playbook within a minute
    If you think about it, every different contacts db has different fields. BB has fields that outlook, Gmail, yahoo, Nokia, Samsung don't have. The way to do it is exactly as described in your solution. Start with the provider you choose to use, outlook, yahoo or if your suicidal google.

Set up your contacts file as you want it on your pc/laptop using bb DTM or whatever means you want to use, but keep the details to a minimum remembering that not all contacts programs contain a field for bb pin for example and when it's exactly what you want, drop a csv file from the contacts software on your pc/laptop. Import the csv file into your chosen provider and start from there. Some programs such as Google will refuse to sync data if the receiving program doesn't match the field status of their own! ie some contacts may not be transferred across at all bit at best you will get spurious data in wrong fields.

GIGO!
    03-19-13 04:42 PM