I have all my contacts in my phone address book, and most of the entries have the email addressess for the person.
    My email address books don't have too many contacts in them.
    Is it possible to transfer my phone address book to the PB?
    Also, my calender has a lot of entries that are of Facebook friends' birthdays. Will those show up on the PB when I sync?
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm really looking forward to know.
    Thank you all.
    03-04-12 10:06 AM
    It has been discussed. You can (theoretically) use Google to sync your contacts but it is glitchy at best. There is no other way to sync data on your phone to your native apps. I just use bridge even with os2
    03-04-12 10:09 AM
    Ah, this is disappointing.
    Thanks though.
    03-04-12 10:12 AM
    I have all my contacts in my phone address book, and most of the entries have the email addressess for the person.
    My email address books don't have too many contacts in them.
    Is it possible to transfer my phone address book to the PB?
    If you use BIS, One way to do it is by using Gmail as "cloud" - either as a 1-time thing - or keep the permanent sync as well...

First some preparations:

a)Download the Google Sync app from m.google.com/sync onto your phone - DON't start it.
    b)Disconnect any sync you currently have between BB and Gmail, and delete the Gmail account on your BB.
    c)Make a backup of your Contacts in Gmail (export to local file)
    d)Make a backup of your BB
    e)Manually delete ALL your Google Contacts

Now the Sync starts:
    1)Start the Sync App on your phone, configure with Contacts ONLY, MANUAL mode and sync OUT all your BB contacts to Google... This can take some time - just be patient.

2) Verify that all contacts are now in your Gmail account, and do changes if needed - and make sure that you only have the group "My Contacts" - delete the other groups.

3) Exit the sync app

You need to delete the address books in your BB:

4)Contacts, Options, then type "rset" - and BB will ask you to confirm deletion

Your Contacts are now in Google Contacts, and your phone is empty
    (don't panic yet - you still have your backups in anything goes wrong!)

Time to get them back, and also onto your Playbook:

5)Setup your Gmail account again on your Phone, make sure to enable Contacts sync (and calendar if you wish). Since BIS now include Gmail sync, we DON't use the sync app again. The only reason for using it was to SEND the contacts from your phone to Google.

As soon as you have setup your Gmail account, data should start coming down to your phone again, slowly - but they will come... Just give it time...

Now you can set up the Sync on your Playbook:

6)Add your Gmail account under Accounts, make sure to enable Contacts sync (You might want to have e-mail sync OFF on the Playbook until the contacts are down)

After a while - you will now have all your contacts in BB, Playbook and on Gmail.

Any change do you - will be pushed out to the other devices. It might take a few minutes but not hours...

If you don't want the BB to sync with Google anymore, all you need to do is to go into your email setup (BB) and disable Contacts syncing...

IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG - you have all the backups you need to RESTORE both the BB and your Gmail Contacts.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 03-04-12 at 11:33 AM.
    03-04-12 11:30 AM
    If you use BIS, One way to do it is by using Gmail as "cloud" - either as a 1-time thing - or keep the permanent sync as well...

First some preparations:
    Thanks for the TREATISE! I will save this info.

I still don't know what I did but when I first created the gmail account on my pb, it added my contacts. I guess they may have been on Google from ages ago. I don't recall keeping them up to date. I do recall when I first tried some google-sync-or-other, DUPLICATING everything and was not happy. But I had made backups so cleared everything off and restored.

The syncing stuff really does not simplification.

But, again, great write up.
    03-04-12 01:27 PM
    With assistance of our corporate manager of CRM applications, he used cloudsync in our salesforce.com data program.. Synced with our company's Gmail. Can enter data (for example appointments) in either program, and the info auto syncs to the other program every hour... Works really well... And I find the calender app in Gmail to be amazingly good - letting me see the appointment, then expand to see who will be at the appointment, then expand to get details on any of the attendees. Super handy for a quick review as I walk into my appointment.

All aspects of PB after OS2 are terrific re using as a business tool.
    03-04-12 02:41 PM
    Thanks for the TREATISE! I will save this info.

I still don't know what I did but when I first created the gmail account on my pb, it added my contacts. I guess they may have been on Google from ages ago. I don't recall keeping them up to date. I do recall when I first tried some google-sync-or-other, DUPLICATING everything and was not happy.....
    Duplicating can occur if you did not delete the local contact lists on the BB before the Sync

-and also remember to "clean up" and merge any duplicate records on the Gmail side, before adding back the Gmail account on your BB
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 03-04-12 at 05:32 PM.
    03-04-12 05:14 PM
    Wow, I didn't do none of that, I just opened a gmail account with goggle on my PlayBook, downloaded goggle sync on phone as prompt ......my phone's address book sync automatic with playbook.....finished. No duplicates and running flawless
    03-04-12 05:29 PM
    There is another easy way:

If you have an yahoo account, add it to your BB email. Turn on sync contacts in the options menu. This will sync all contacts from your BB to your yahoo email account.
    Then add contacts sync to your PB using your yahoo email address and password via carddav.address.yahoo.com in the advanced setup menu. You can also simply add that yahoo email account to your native PB email app and turn on contacts sync when prompted during setup. I added mine via IMAP setup.
    Any change to your contacts list on your BB will reflect on the PB and the Yahoo account and vice versa automatically.
    03-04-12 05:57 PM
    There is another easy way:

If you have an yahoo account, add it to your BB email. Turn on sync contacts in the options menu. This will sync all contacts from your BB to your yahoo email account.
    Then add contacts sync to your PB using your yahoo email address and password via carddav.address.yahoo.com in the advanced setup menu. You can also simply add that yahoo email account to your native PB email app and turn on contacts sync when prompted during setup. I added mine via IMAP setup.
    Any change to your contacts list on your BB will reflect on the PB and the Yahoo account and vice versa automatically.
    fyi, i haven't been successful with adding my yahoo contacts using the advanced option with carddav.address.yahoo.com. I am curious if u remove this and re-add it, if it will work for you. i have sent a request to yahoo, but still nothing.
    03-04-12 09:36 PM
    if you have the new yahoo. it lets you upload contact from fb or other email clients as well as desktop clients like outlook.
    03-05-12 04:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD