Hopefully one of you CB scientists can me out here. I bought a PB last month and was very happy with it, but couldn't setup my email account properly so I had RIM support help me out with it and it turned out that it was the display name field that should have been left blank. It immediately worked after that and was able to receive some important emails while away.

Coming back home my PB connected to the home wifi and and it prompted me to DL the latest update. I did and that is where all the headache started. Suddenly it couldn't communicate with the host server, I called support again to ask if they had a solution for this. They didn't. The problems persisted in such a way that I had to create a test account so support could configure their own PB to see if worked. Needless to say it did not. At some point I did start to receive emails but all the previous work related ones were gone and I started receiving spam but no work related notes. This was very strange because of the randomness of it all.

I spoke to 5 different support agents and they all had similar issues with the email. I received admissions from 3 of them that they didn't know what was wrong and that they escalated the issue to the developers.

My question to the community is why do the emails disappear when I configure the accounts again? And also why does the PB not see emails that have rules to be placed in appropriate folders? My families emails arrive in a separate folder on my laptop but never on the PB? At the moment for no reason I have sent emails but my inbox is empty.

Sorry to be so long winded. I'm not a native English speaker.

Thanks Morenito.

PB 64GB | IMAP (and POP out of frustration) | http://www.blackberry/eavt tool works |
    05-25-12 08:55 AM
    I'm sure your English is better than my Dutch! :P Anyways, what sort of server are you using exchange, domino, or blackberry? Or are you just on a BIS setup via your cell carrier and using their email or some sort of email service like gmail, hotmail or gmx? Where are you setting up these rules? On the email server in a professional environment, via your carrier's BIS, or somewhere else I'm not thinking of? I'm not the brightest bulb in the box.

Also hopefully someone else more knowledgeable about email will come along and also help since it's my weakest subject!
    05-25-12 09:15 AM
    The playbook will not download ALL of your email from the servers. It will only sync back to maybe a week or so, and then continue from the current date onwards.

For example, I have gmail for 5 years already. If I setup playbook to sync to gmail, it will only get maybe the last week of messages, nothing prior, and then going forward it will continue to sync and grab all new messages.

The old gmail messages will still be on gmail, just not synced to playbook. Playbook does not grab all of your email from the servers, just looks back a week and continues from then on.

When you reinstalled the OS and had to configure account again, it wiped out the stuff older than a week. It is still on your servers if you use outlook of eudora or thunderbird on your computer to sync the mail.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-25-12 09:35 AM
    Hi Rich. Thanks for dropping by. I'm not sure what server my host is on but the support rep and myself followed all instructions in the faq, but no joy. The rules and folders are created in Outlook and I believe alos on their servers.

I would like to add that the last rep was a very knowledgeable guy and he couldn't configure his PB to work either. he however assured me RIM is "aggressively" pursuing a solution to this issue. What I don't get is that something that worked well was suddely broken in software update. Sloppy coding I guess.
    05-25-12 09:40 AM
    One more thing...

The "rules" you have for email going to different folders, are they on the server itself or in your email client software on your laptop?

I have thunderbird on laptop with filters and rules. However, on the server it is NOT configured in any way or shape, and the server and playbook don't know the rules I set on thunderbird on my laptop.

Thunderbird would have to communicate to the server the actions taken (moving emails around to different folders) for the server copy to then sync with it, and then the playbook would see that and move things on itself also when it syncs. The deletes get sync'd but not sure about all the folder moves.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    05-25-12 09:42 AM
    Double post. Sorry
    Last edited by morenito2796; 05-25-12 at 09:49 AM.
    05-25-12 09:42 AM
    Hiya edyb. Thanks for your reply. What you indicate with the PB only looking for a limited period of time makes sense, and I do have the notes on my laptop. However was under the impression that with the IMAP config I would still be able to access them. No problem.

The rules and filters are setup in Outlook so not sure if they actually are replicated on the servers. What's puzzling is the randomness of it all. The dreaded "Unable to connect to server. Try again" message. The support rep told me that this message had something to do with the way the PB connects to my hosts servers. Don't get me wrong but I love my PB. It is a quality product and I bought it mostly for RIM's reputation as the email ruler. I just don't understand that the app is now just limping along.

I work for a large oil-major and my dept wants to roll out something like 20+ tablets for us to be more mobile and to be able to communicate face to face through the video app, they however have problem w/ Apples corporate governance (Foxconn) and want an alternative. I volunteered to buy a PB and report back on it's viability. That's not possible now that simple email does not work. Embarrassing.
    05-25-12 10:11 AM
    Oh and I should add that the Unable to connect msg appears at the exact same time an email arrives on my laptop.
    05-25-12 10:14 AM
    Unless you're syncing with your email client, not possible right now?, and that is where the rules are instead of the rules being made on the server. In that case there is no way you can expect the rules to work on any other mail client accessing the sever only, I think.

I'm not sure about the prompts to enter the info again. RIM really needs to fix this ASAP instead of pushing out games esp when they say they are going back to their roots. Hopefully it will be fixed in 2.1 when it comes out.

It's crazy I read these threads about things not working so whatever company won't consider using them and instead will use iPads. Shameful.

Myself being only a consumer it's not such a big deal but it is for business.
    05-25-12 10:44 AM
    I have a corporate email (Outlook Exchange server) as well as Hotmail. For both I have rules to redirect emails to folders. ONLY messages delivered to your Inbox on both will be pushed immediately and show as alert on your PB. For all your different folders, you will need to go to each folder and refresh that folder.
    I do not know if this is by design or if it can be configured (haven't found it yet).
    On BB you can select for the Outlook which folders you want to be pushed immediately (configure it on BB in email settings and LOVE it). However, on BB my Hotmail folders are NOT pushed and I cannot even configure it to do so .
    I like that PB has ability to show all folders of Outlook as well as Hotmail, but dislike that I cannot configure which folders to be pushed to and updated immediately or that all of them are pushed by default.
    Not sure if this is by design or a bug.
    As for the "Unable to connect to server. Try again" - that I get also and have found it appears when my wifi signal is little weak. I then move around to see if signal can approve, hit the 'x' to remove message and refresh. Usually works. If this message appears when I moved into a new wifi signal area, I usually 'Restart' the PB and the problem is solved.
    Last edited by rcm1301; 05-25-12 at 10:55 AM.
    05-25-12 10:52 AM
    Hi kbz1960, I know right? All of us have company issued BB's so we should have BES. The problem is that we travel a lot in different time zones. I don't want to be the one recommending using PB's because I can almost see our IT dept. refusing them while pointing and laughing because we bought an inferior tablet that they will need to put a lot of effort in having to support.

I'm confident that RIM will find a way to solve this but the clock is ticking and the tablet revolution is unfolding while they still struggle to put a quality OS on the market. I have some info how this works. They hire or buy a dev company and once the software is out they're all dismissed. Can't be good. The competition is charging ahead while cultivating an outstanding ecosystem of dev's and apps. I just wish they would let the community know that they're aware of the issues and are working on a solution instead of letting us swim or sink. Communication is key to a well thought out strategy.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-25-12 11:39 AM
    rcm1301, Sorry not sure I understand how you configure those folders to be pushed. Would you please explain how it's done on the PB? Thanks.

Re the Wifi issue; that will another topic altogether. Why is it that when I'm commuting on the train it finds the signal and I browse the web after authenticating while on a terrace with WiMax in the park it connects but the browser refuses to load a webpage?

I just don't understand all the errors it's throwing? My feeling is that these versions after OS 1.0 were just rushed to market to save face.

Apple is planning to release a smaller and cheaper version of the iPad at a loss just to kill off weaker players.
    05-25-12 11:56 AM
    rcm1301, Sorry not sure I understand how you configure those folders to be pushed. Would you please explain how it's done on the PB? Thanks.
    Folders and rules are setup directly in Outlook and Hotmail. When I added my Outlook and Hotmail email accounts to PB, they showed automatically on PB. Inbox message are pushed immediately, but not folders. I have to manually refresh folders for new messages to show.
    05-25-12 12:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD