Unfortunately, as I am now even more tied into Google than ever (2+-year Latitude user, Google Voice, Galaxy Nexus user, MetaWatch, Gmail, Google Now, soon maybe Glass), it would be too painful to switch back to a BlackBerry as my primary phone device unless there is a way to get these things running smoothly on the Q10. This considered, I would like to still own a device that runs the gorgeous OS 10 to feed my love of different computing environments. I already own an HP TouchPad, Nokia N810, & a generic cheap Android tablet, not to mention many different phones, including the Nokia N9, Nokia N95, HP Veer, Palm Centro, LG GD910 watch phone, & 2 ancient BBs (8700, 7290).

That being said, I may still consider the Q10 as a 2nd phone that's 'off the grid' (not tied to my current mess of Google stuff).

How does the Playbook stack up against more modern tablets, both with the new OS & the original QNX OS? How available is the mobile version of the Playbook? Is the Playbook still a good device for web surfing, reading articles, eBooks, music storage/playback, & maps? Are they not yet discontinued / am I likely to still have a warranty should I buy one, say, next month?
    05-22-13 11:34 PM
    I am going to be honest. The Playbook book is 2 years old. The current pricing for a 64 GB version is amazing. Now, the browser sucks, but you can buy another browser off of the app world. Blackberry needs to update the OS now, but for now, I doubt they will soon. The PB is a device that you have to like to keep. Its great for all of the things you listed, but most apps you will have to side load from Android. There is no decent maps application for the PB. No, they are not discontinued. I still go to my local Radio Shack and they have displays and posters for the PB, and you will have a one year warranty that comes with it. Sorry for this being disorganized. I am on my PB, and scrolling up and down to answer your questions is quite difficult.
    adam917 likes this.
    05-23-13 12:23 AM
    Op wants to know about BB10 on the Playbook.

Although the CEO said as late as March that teams are working on BB10 for the Playbook, he did not reconfirm when asked directly about it at the big Blackberry developer conference last week. Instead he talked about spending R&D dollars on the future. Also there were several workshops at the conference that had tablet in the title but during the workshops themselves, apparently the Playbook and tablets were strangely not mentioned or only mentioned briefly at the beginning and not discussed during the workshop.

So there is a lot of confusion about if/when BB10 is coming to the Playbook. There seem to be some signs that it might come (a tweet from Blackberry Mexico that was deleted shortly thereafter), some apps in Blackberry world that say they are compatible with tablet OS10. At the same time, Blackberry management is silent which at best, suggests some type of delay and at worst, they are reworking their tablet strategy and OS10 for Playbook will either be delayed so far in future that people will move on to iPad 5 or whatever the next gen of tablets are or the updated software will not come to the Playbook after all.

So, op, you may want to buy the Playbook for what it does now. Or if your tablet needs are sated now which sounds like they are from the variety you have, I would wait until the BB10 confusion gets clarified.

ps the Veer is a great little phone. I hope openWebOS gets ported to some devices soon.
    adam917 likes this.
    05-23-13 05:33 AM
    I bought a new 64 GB PlayBook from Amazon last week and I've written a few blog posts about it that you might find useful.

Tablet Quest: Why I Chose a BlackBerry PlayBook (Again)

My BlackBerry PlayBook: Accessories

My BlackBerry PlayBook: First Week Review

To answer your quesitons:

How does the Playbook stack up against more modern tablets, both with the new OS & the original QNX OS?

A quick perusal of other threads in this forum will show that there is much uncertainty as to whether the PlayBook will ever receive BB10. However, the PlayBook OS is a very good OS in its own right. The PB has been out for 2+ years, but can still do many things out-of-the-box that its modern counterparts cannot do. Native flash support, true multitasking, and presentation mode are a few things that no other tablet can really match.

How available is the mobile version of the Playbook?

BlackBerry's official U.S. site says a 32GB 4G/LTE version of the PlayBook is "coming soon". With BlackBerry this could mean next week or never. Nobody really knows.

BlackBerry's official Canadian site indicates they are being sold in Canada by Tellus. You might be able to find a Canadian model for sale out there on the interwebz, but you'd have to do some research as to whether it would be compatible with U.S. providers.

Is the Playbook still a good device for web surfing, reading articles, eBooks, music storage/playback, & maps?

Web surfing, news, eBooks, and media storage/playback all work great on my PlayBook. It comes with a very basic Bing Maps app. There are other map apps out there but I haven't tried them, as I prefer to use my Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone for its excellent maps/navigation integration with Google Maps.

Are they not yet discontinued / am I likely to still have a warranty should I buy one, say, next month?

As far as I know, they are still supported by BlackBerry at this time, so I'm assuming if you bought one new it would still be covered under the standard warranty. But this wasn't really a priority for me, as I knew going in that the PlayBook is likely on its last legs as a platform. If it does get a BB10 update that would be superb. But if it doesn't, I'm still quite happy with my purchase and think I can get at least a year of useful life out of it before I get disinterested or my wants/needs change.
    adam917 and FrycHiKn like this.
    05-23-13 09:16 AM
    As a matter of fact, I'm still on that quest for a tablet I can use enjoyably. The TouchPad is too big & heavy for taking out of the house. The generic 7" Android tablet I have is slower than my Galaxy Nexus & runs 4.0. It has terrible battery life as well.

The Veer that I have is so small I can barely use it & see anything on its screen (imagine a Pre sized down without any modifications to adjust for the much smaller size). It also has a problem where it shuts off when I close it about 1/3 of the time. It requires this weird contraption to both charge & use wired headphones with it. I'm looking to replace it with a Pre 3.

AFAIK openWebOS will not be ported to any old webOS devices due to drivers & legal things. I believe the only reason it is running on a Galaxy Nexus is due to that phone having its drivers released to the public.

Op wants to know about BB10 on the Playbook.

Although the CEO said as late as March that teams are working on BB10 for the Playbook, he did not reconfirm when asked directly about it at the big Blackberry developer conference last week. Instead he talked about spending R&D dollars on the future. Also there were several workshops at the conference that had tablet in the title but during the workshops themselves, apparently the Playbook and tablets were strangely not mentioned or only mentioned briefly at the beginning and not discussed during the workshop.

So there is a lot of confusion about if/when BB10 is coming to the Playbook. There seem to be some signs that it might come (a tweet from Blackberry Mexico that was deleted shortly thereafter), some apps in Blackberry world that say they are compatible with tablet OS10. At the same time, Blackberry management is silent which at best, suggests some type of delay and at worst, they are reworking their tablet strategy and OS10 for Playbook will either be delayed so far in future that people will move on to iPad 5 or whatever the next gen of tablets are or the updated software will not come to the Playbook after all.

So, op, you may want to buy the Playbook for what it does now. Or if your tablet needs are sated now which sounds like they are from the variety you have, I would wait until the BB10 confusion gets clarified.

ps the Veer is a great little phone. I hope openWebOS gets ported to some devices soon.
    05-26-13 02:57 PM