So I'm a complete n00b to the Blackberry platform. I'm an Android and iOS user and currently use an iPad as a tablet.

BestBuy is selling the Blackberry Playbook for $200(US).

I kind of just want to know what to expect. I realize that there aren't as many apps as the iPad has. and there's the whole thing of not having email support without a Blackberry device (although I can live without that for the time being).

QNX looks like an amazing OS but i'm kind of hesitant on buying one. Also the Android app support seems cool.

so..help? Thanks
    12-18-11 07:55 PM
    What need do you expect the Playbook to fill, that your ipad doesn't?
    12-18-11 08:00 PM
    cracked my screen and bored of iOS. LOL.
    12-18-11 08:02 PM
    Do not hesitate. If you want specific help you need to be more specific about your expectations and usage..
    12-18-11 08:03 PM
    In your situation, which is similar to mine (Android tab instead of iPad), the PB is going to be mostly useful only as a media player. Build quality and looks are good. It is more portable, has a nice screen, great speakers, slightly more format support than iDevices. The browser is good. But don't expect to do much more than that. The office suite and pdf reader, etc are extremely weak.

Long story short, it's a cheaper iPod touch with a bigger screen but few if any useful apps and no integration with your current library. IMO, 200 is a fair price.
    Ajijic likes this.
    12-18-11 08:04 PM
    if your looking for gaming and movies on the go, the Ipad and prime are your only choices. if you want portability and relative security then a playbook is ok but there have been some nice deals on the ipod touch 8gb ~$160, I got my playbook for $25 less than BB or staples and I like it better than a fire or nook. http://slickdeals.net/f/3681794-Appl...start-12-08-11
    12-18-11 08:06 PM
    @199 its less than the touch, nearly as portable and much easier to read websites. Best to "test drive" one to see if it meets your needs.
    12-18-11 08:12 PM
    Forgot to mention that there's no Skype or Netflix.

If there are apps you have to have on a tab, ask here first. Do not assume that the PB supports them, because most likely it will not.
    12-18-11 08:12 PM
    Hmm. Thanks everyone. I guess I'll think about it a little more. No Netflix would probably be a bit anoying. I want something to replace my iPad and the Playbook looks really cool and underrated. I'll have to go play around with one. Again, Thanks though.
    12-18-11 08:19 PM
    Very smooth running OS, bit faster then i pad, very portable, which I find great, and the picture quality is awesome. its my laptop..
    12-18-11 08:19 PM
    I would suggest you buy it and use it. Everyone has different wants from any purchase. See how you like it and if doesn't fit your needs you can return it.
    For me the PB does everything I need and does it well.
    12-18-11 08:38 PM
    Hmm. Thanks everyone. I guess I'll think about it a little more. No Netflix would probably be a bit anoying. I want something to replace my iPad and the Playbook looks really cool and underrated. I'll have to go play around with one. Again, Thanks though.
    I would definitely NOT recommend the PB as a replacement for the iPad. It's excellent as a second tab for times when a 10 incher would be awkward. For $200, it's not going to be a disaster if it's dropped or stolen. But a lot of the functions and apps you take for granted now would not be there. If you can't wait for iPad3, the ICS Androids are right around the corner.
    Last edited by loneweasel; 12-18-11 at 08:47 PM.
    12-18-11 08:43 PM
    In your situation, which is similar to mine (Android tab instead of iPad), the PB is going to be mostly useful only as a media player. Build quality and looks are good. It is more portable, has a nice screen, great speakers, slightly more format support than iDevices. The browser is good. But don't expect to do much more than that. The office suite and pdf reader, etc are extremely weak.

Long story short, it's a cheaper iPod touch with a bigger screen but few if any useful apps and no integration with your current library. IMO, 200 is a fair price.
    You say that like you know what you're talking about

Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-18-11 at 09:23 PM.
    12-18-11 09:18 PM
    Android sounds like best for OP.
    12-18-11 09:26 PM
    Try it in the store. That's what you get. It's a slick little device.

Obviously there aren't as many apps like App Store but the pb browser plays almost every website and this is a huge plus (that's been my experience).

This tablet is the right size for portability. Buy it when it's on sale. The OS2 upgrade is coming in February.
    12-18-11 10:34 PM
    Android sounds like best for OP.
    It's really hard to say what's best for OP since he/she never said what he/she wanted to use it for...
    12-18-11 10:36 PM
    I have a Playbook and an iPad2. The reason I got a PlayBook is because I have a BB phone and the ability to tether with my phone for internet connection was compelling(obviously, my iPad is wi-fi only)

I love the portability of my Playbook. I really haven't even put it down since I got it. In fact, I barely use the iPad anymore; the last time I did was to compare the web browser with my Playbook. At $200, there's really nothing to think about.
    12-18-11 10:48 PM
    another thing to consider is they also have the 32gb version for 50 bucks more. If you're considering the PB for 50 bucks extra I feel double storage is well worth it. Solid purchase if you ask me. I love my PB. Would like hulu plus and skype, but it does everything else I need it to.
    12-18-11 11:22 PM
    I would definitely NOT recommend the PB as a replacement for the iPad. It's excellent as a second tab for times when a 10 incher would be awkward. For $200, it's not going to be a disaster if it's dropped or stolen. But a lot of the functions and apps you take for granted now would not be there. If you can't wait for iPad3, the ICS Androids are right around the corner.
    However if you dont want angry birds or fart apps you should try the play book. Faster OS then i pad and smoother then the droids, the size is amazing, so portable....
    12-19-11 09:05 AM
    However if you dont want angry birds or fart apps you should try the play book. Faster OS then i pad and smoother then the droids, the size is amazing, so portable....
    Docs to go, Repligo reader, Skype, Netflix, Kindle, Google Maps.

Just these six apps, none of which runs on the PB, will make any Honeycomb tab more functional out of the box than the PB on this day. I don't see any "angry birds or fart apps" among them.
    12-19-11 09:11 AM
    So I'm a complete n00b to the Blackberry platform. I'm an Android and iOS user and currently use an iPad as a tablet.

I kind of just want to know what to expect. I realize that there aren't as many apps as the iPad has. and there's the whole thing of not having email support without a Blackberry device (although I can live without that for the time being).

QNX looks like an amazing OS but i'm kind of hesitant on buying one. Also the Android app support seems cool.

so..help? Thanks
    if you want something different, i'd stick with an android tablet. i also have an ipad 2, samsung tab and playbook. honestly, the playbook is severely crippled at this point with really nothing worthwhile you can do on it both fun-wise and productivity-wise. you want the best games and most polished productivity apps? stock iOS (since jailbroken iOS has emulators too). you want games, full customization, 'hackability' with massive 3rd party support and emulators natively? android. you want a 7' screen with very little support from 3rd parties AND rim themselves that doesn't even have a good pdf reader? you want the playbook.

the gps on my playbook hasn't even worked once with bing maps since i bought it. thats how buggy and unfinished it is.
    12-19-11 09:11 AM
    Actually, I have sideloaded angry birds on my playbook right now - so that just leaves fart apps
    12-19-11 09:12 AM

so..help? Thanks
    You can do nearly everything on playbook, as it is right now, prior to os2, that you can do on your pc. you can go online and access your email just like a pc, regardless of where you have your email. my pb browser came with a link for gmail, you can create a link/ shortcut on you pb desktop or within browser. personally i think this native email thing is way out of proportion! a bunch of whiney nancy's if you ask me. i recently bought and tried pb and after one week sold my xoom tablet on amazon. i was more impressed with pb os than android. to me pb is more intuitive and android is messy, more like windows is what i thought.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    12-19-11 09:19 AM
    if you want something different, i'd stick with an android tablet. i also have an ipad 2, samsung tab and playbook. honestly, the playbook is severely crippled at this point with really nothing worthwhile you can do on it both fun-wise and productivity-wise. you want the best games and most polished productivity apps? stock iOS (since jailbroken iOS has emulators too). you want games, full customization, 'hackability' and emulators natively? android. you want a 7' screen with very little support from 3rd parties AND rim themselves that doesn't even have a good pdf reader? you want the playbook.

Really? You should pay more attention to Crackberry before you make such conclusive and outrageous understatements - I've been doing nothing but being productive and having fun since I bought mine 6 months ago and then bought another.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...e-work-615009/

A lot of examples of people "getting by" and being productive with the PDF reader.
    If you're not having fun you're not very creative. I'm having a blast.

Games are counter-productive, and if you consider that "worthwhile" fine, but there are a whole lot of EA games, which are considered some of the best. Have a look through app world. -

The best games in the world can suck on a poor hardware platform. Front facing stereo speakers, beautiful high contrast crisp display, QNX OS, handle-able size hdmi out - all add up to a clearly superior gaming experience.

How about reading up in crackberry about other people's experience, having a stroll through app world before acting like a tablet authority in here?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-19-11 at 09:25 AM.
    12-19-11 09:21 AM
    You can do nearly everything on playbook, as it is right now, prior to os2, that you can do on your pc. you can go online and access your email just like a pc, regardless of where you have your email. my pb browser came with a link for gmail, you can create a link/ shortcut on you pb desktop or within browser. personally i think this native email thing is way out of proportion! a bunch of whiney nancy's if you ask me. i recently bought and tried pb and after one week sold my xoom tablet on amazon. i was more impressed with pb os than android. to me pb is more intuitive and android is messy, more like windows is what i thought.
    yah man. the playbook comes with a shortcut to gmail in the browser! it totally has email. lol.

even the browser screws up gmail display. just search these forums. it randomly bugs out and tells you your entire inbox is empty. you have to resort to "desktop" or "mobile" view and have gmail show up completely unoptimized on your playbook instead of taking advantage of the html5 view which IS optimized for tablet display.
    12-19-11 09:22 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD