I was wondering if there was a way to connect my guitar to my playbook to record. I know apple has a product called the iRig to connect to the iPad. Does Blackberry have something similar or can I use the iRig with my playbook?
    12-06-12 01:52 PM
    The pb does not currently support inputs to the usb other than the normal computer connections. USB-OTG (on the go) is supposedly coming but don't count on it. Just for clarity, the headphone jack can use a microphone-headphone combo but the hdmi is OUT only.
    12-06-12 03:26 PM
    You could always use the 3.5mm mic/headset connector as a line in...
    12-06-12 04:39 PM
    To add to that: an electric guitar sends a very very different signal than a microphone. You cannot connect it directly to your microphone/headset input, even if you plug it in via a plug adapter. Doing so could even damage your PlayBook.

On the hardware side of things, we'd ideally be able to connect something like the iRig, but at the moment the PlayBook doesn't allow us to use the USB connector for such things. (update: apparently the iRig doesn't use USB, so it should work!) Until that is remedied, you'll need some way of converting your guitar level (and impedance) signal into a mic or line signal. On stage and in the studio this is normally done with a DI box (DI stands for Direct Inject). Those can be had for as little as $40 or so. As the PlayBook doesn't deliver phantom power, you'll need one with a battery or power adapter.

Alternatively, if you have an amp with a headphone out or line out, you could try sending that to your PlayBook. You'll probably need to experiment a lot with the levels, and the signal will probably be quite weak.

You'll need a Y-cable to send the output of the DI box or amp into the mic & ground of the 4-way headset plug.

Once your guitar signal can be heard by the PlayBook, what are you going to do with it? You'll need some software to record with. This could be as simple as the Voice Recorder, but for musical use something a bit more sophisticated would be needed. These forum threads might be of interest:

Of course some effects such as distortion, delay, reverb etc. would come in handy too.
    Last edited by Innovatology; 12-08-12 at 08:29 AM.
    gokulesh and David in Durham like this.
    12-06-12 04:54 PM
    You could always use the 3.5mm mic/headset connector as a line in...
    DO NOT DO THIS.

It could damage your PlayBook. A guitar, especially an electric guitar, is very very very different to a line signal, and an electric guitar has a different impedance.
    David in Durham likes this.
    12-06-12 04:58 PM
    DO NOT DO THIS.

It could damage your PlayBook. A guitar, especially an electric guitar, is very very very different to a line signal, and an electric guitar has a different impedance.
    Obviously i never meant direct to it, but after going through a pre amp/effects box or similar... i assumed the OP would know this. However far from being damaging the signal would simply be pathetic if it could be heard at all, unless perhaps the guitar had active pickups...
    Innovatology likes this.
    12-06-12 05:26 PM
    iRig is not an Apple product. It's also not a USB device. It's an IK multimedia product made to work with the AmpliTube app for iPhone/iPod touch/iPad through the 3.5mm mic/headphone jack.
    It works the same way with the Playbook as it does on an iPad. It lowers the guitar impedance so it is compatible with the 3.5mm mic/headphone jack.
    I doubt IK multimedia will ever release AmpliTube for the Playbook considering there isn't even an Android version.
    I use an iRig with an iPod Touch. I've tried it with the voice recorder app on the Playbook and it works. It also works as an instrument input for computers.
    12-06-12 07:23 PM
    If we could get a VST host app the iRig would not need Amplitude. Neutron mentioned something about VST support but I think it's something dev's can possibly do with their audio engine.
    12-07-12 03:44 AM