From the photo below you can see that something is taking up alot of room on my 16GB PB.

I have no idea what it is that is taking up this space.

I have no photos/videos/music/documents stored on my PB at the moment.

I have about 5/6 downloaded apps (2 of them are Side Loaded Android Apps, Amazon Kindle and Dropbox) but all are small apps.
    Plus 9 games (Asphalt 6, Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, Modern Combat, Monopoly, NFS Undercover, UNO, Tetris & TicTacToe. Im guessing that all of these games together are less than 1GB

I have gone through all the folders on the PB (including the Android folder) while it has been attached to my pc & all the folders are empty

I have counted 42 app icons on my pb, but in the about section, it says I have 89.

Am I missing something here?

(I do not want to format the device & start again, I'm not to sure if I can reinstall my Amazon Kindle/Dropbox if I do format it?)

Last edited by gurraj_singh; 10-01-12 at 10:34 AM.
    10-01-12 10:31 AM
    It sounds as if you've checked all files via a desktop/Windows file search, but in my own experience, a set of news and sports apps (some sideloaded, others AppWorld) were saving images which took up a huge amount of space. The sideloaded Wall Street Journal app was the primary cause (it didn't delete images even if the news content had beed deleted). None of this was apparent until I did a detailed files seacrh via Windows. Is there any chance any of the games could be saving images, copies, etc.?
    10-01-12 10:54 AM
    Check free space on the PB not the PC. Some of those games take up a lot of space. More then the download size. It's normal for the app count to be off.
    10-01-12 11:39 AM
    Check the PB via the latest Desktop Manager. There you can see the space taken by apps.
    10-01-12 11:45 AM
    Check free space on the PB not the PC. Some of those games take up a lot of space. More then the download size. It's normal for the app count to be off.
    Per Chaddface's note and to clarify what I meant, use Windows Explorer to do a complete file search on the PB. That's how I discovered all of the images that had been left by various apps. Sounds like certain games do the same.
    10-01-12 11:47 AM
    You are only using 4gb of space. Seems quite reasonable, given your apps as described.
    10-01-12 02:41 PM
    I dnt have a playbook but don't see how the NFS undercover game coupled with the other games is +-1GB.

That's a big game I suspect.
    10-01-12 02:52 PM
    I dnt have a playbook but don't see how the NFS undercover game coupled with the other games is +-1GB.

That's a big game I suspect.
    Per app world, NFS file size is 299 MB, Asphalt 6 is 516 MB, and Modern Combat is 400 MB. Do the math.
    10-01-12 03:18 PM
    16G's only have about 11G's to start with anyways.
    10-01-12 03:33 PM
    Ok point taken.
    10-01-12 03:34 PM
    16G's only have about 11G's to start with anyways.
    PB claims 14.7 although I never tried to load that much test it.
    10-01-12 03:48 PM
    PB claims 14.7 although I never tried to load that much test it.
    yea i don't know where i got that number from lol, 64 only has 59.4, just took off 5 from 16 lol
    10-01-12 03:51 PM
    I do wish that the desktop manager did a break out like itunes. Being able to see what space is used by apps, video, pics etc is a nice feature that itunes has for idevices. I to sometimes look at my space used on the PB and just kinda scratch my head. I use WinDirStat to review what is on the harddrive. This free software will quickly scan and read the drive and provide a visual break-down of the drives contents for you. I use it for servers, sans, laptops you name it. Great little piece of code.
    10-01-12 04:04 PM
    On my pb. In the about hardware section. The numbers match with what windows showed me.

Will check out what desktop manager says tomorrow.

Does anyone know if I wipe the pb. Will I be able to reinstall my android apps?
    10-01-12 05:55 PM
    If you are using the sideloaded version of dropbox, it caches everything you access through the service. I had noticed this even after clearing the cache all the files were still there. May want to use an app like Ghost Commander to delete the dropbox cache folder.
    10-01-12 06:12 PM
    Take a look at these images, seems like the android player doubles all of the media content:
    First look:

Open misc folder and view the Android folder

Look into the Picture folder - it is an exact copy of the default Picture folder:

Next step - I am going to pull / copy all the media off my playbook in to a single folder on my pc and check the size, but it seems very odd that the data currently looks like it is taking three times the space required due to this doubling into the misc\Android folder.
    (EDIT) I should mention my BP is 32 GB and reporting space as 29.6 GB with 8.7 GB free.
    Last edited by pinkert11; 10-02-12 at 09:06 AM.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    10-02-12 09:02 AM
    Take a look at these images, seems like the android player doubles all of the media content:
    This has been discussed many times on this board. There is not an actual doubling of content by the android player. The files in the android folder are not actually files but are instead sym-links (in effect, shortcuts) to the files in the PB's media folders. Try deleting a file in a PB media folder- the same file will also be deleted in the android folder. Windows does not accurately report the size of these files- the pic shows what Windows says is the total size of all the media folders on my 64 GB PB, and this does not include the OS or any installed native apps.
    Last edited by pacoman03; 10-02-12 at 09:35 AM.
    10-02-12 09:13 AM
    don't forget to count the OS that take space too
    10-02-12 09:15 AM
    The space taken by the misc folder doesnt count.

I have a similar thread with all the answers somewhere in these forums...
    10-02-12 09:39 AM
    think your games are taking up the space. don't rely on the amount it says on app store. I believe amount stated is just the download. This is a compressed file and when installs expands.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-02-12 10:00 AM
    I have updated to OS2.1 so the numbers are a little different today.

On the PB (About - Hardware)
    Total Storage is 14.7 GB (So I assume 1.3 GB is used by the OS)
    Free Storage is 8.7 GB

On the pc (Connecting the PB via USB)
    Total Storage size is 13.5 GB - Different to what the PB shows, but again I am putting this down to OS.
    Free Storage is 8.65 GB (rounded up 8.7 GB) - So same as what the PB shows

Lets just say that the
    Games/Apps take up 3 GB
    OS takes up 2 GB (rounding up)
    That's 5 GB

I should still have 11 GB to play with

Instead I have 8.7 GB left, on a device which has no pics, vids, music, documents.
    10-03-12 07:31 PM
    Wrong. TOTAL storage is 14.7 GB, which is the capacity of a FORMATTED 16 GB drive. FWIW, I just wiped my 64 GB PB, and after the wipe my numbers were 59.4 GB total and 54.5 GB free storage. And that is with nothing at all loaded except the core apps- no need for speed, no sample whale video, no wallpapers, nothing.
    10-03-12 07:47 PM
    Wrong. TOTAL storage is 14.7 GB, which is the capacity of a FORMATTED 16 GB drive. FWIW, I just wiped my 64 GB PB, and after the wipe my numbers were 59.4 GB total and 54.5 GB free storage. And that is with nothing at all loaded except the core apps- no need for speed, no sample whale video, no wallpapers, nothing.
    I was in some setting, god knows where...lol but it had a slider option, " save this much space on my device" etc etc.

kinda like windows 7 does with restore points... u have to allocate space behind the scenes.. for some tbings to function. anyway, I tbink it was while my pb was usb'd to the desktop program, and it was under some options or something.

maybe u just need to allocate space.
    10-19-12 07:40 PM
    I was in some setting, god knows where...lol but it had a slider option, " save this much space on my device" etc etc.

kinda like windows 7 does with restore points... u have to allocate space behind the scenes.. for some tbings to function. anyway, I tbink it was while my pb was usb'd to the desktop program, and it was under some options or something.

maybe u just need to allocate space.
    temp files can be sometimes ...
    10-19-12 07:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD