05-17-13 02:37 AM
92 1234
tools
    Count me as one who uses the bridge pretty much exclusively. My 9930's operating system is more polished than my Playbook's. For instance, typing "they're" in the bridge email client (phone's OS), will automatically add the apostrophe. The native email will not.

Believe me, there are times when I would rather use native but until the final comes out (bugs fixed ?) I'll use the bridge.

By the way, typing this, I had to capitalize all the "I's". This is done automatically in the email windows. What's up with that?
    This is strange.... I (auto caps on this one) just tried and I (oops, this one too) have to say it does the "I" right. They're also self corrected (as well as giving me it as a suggestion on the predictive roll).

What OS are you using? Maybe you have something set to OFF on options > keyboard...

I'm not saying it is not happening, nor that the PB's is better (or worse), just that it sounds odd.

Attachment 117208
    09-18-12 08:22 PM
    I guarantee that BBM will not be available on the WiFi versions of the playbook.

Blackberry wants to make sure you're on their BIS plans, WiFi playbooks can't get BIS, and thus, no BBM. BBM might be available for the Playbook 4G LTE, but not the WiFis.

Why do I think this? Well, I've been ripping my hair out trying to use my BB 9810 Torch on WiFi or with normal Data and since I'm on prepaid without a BIS plan, none of the Blackberry Apps will work (Facebook, Twitter, etc).
    (Correction, it works for a few hours, but then I have to do a battery pull to get it to work again. I think I've pulled my battery out so much the battery door is starting to fail and not click back into place properly)
    So if RIM won't even let you use social networking apps that it created but doesn't own, what makes you think they'll give you BBM (which they created, and they own) for free? You wish.
    09-18-12 08:35 PM
    What would make you think that the BB10 hardware will be Kernel compatible with the playbook.
    That's all I'm saying...
    Look at the hardware spec's on the Playbook VS. BB10 specs.

Playbook and BB10 will be out months after BB10 Devices.

That's all folks.....
    09-18-12 10:36 PM
    man I never thought about it like that but I think (& REALLY) hope you are wrong. PlayBooks do have their own pin & BBM was supposed to be released along time ago. also I strongly believe pin #s aren't gonna matter as much as your BB.I.D in the future. BlackBerry Beta Zone has already started using BB.I.D's instead of their old sign in method....... jus my opinion
    Last edited by bldshd; 09-19-12 at 12:07 AM.
    09-19-12 12:03 AM
    I guarantee that BBM will not be available on the WiFi versions of the playbook.
    There aren't enough PlayBooks out there to make a meaningful difference to RIM financially. They're better off throwing their early adopters a bone by offering the feature than by being stingy.

BIS is still very valuable for the data compression it provides, and a lot of people who have data plans with rather low data caps would choose BIS simply for that.

If I weren't on Wind with unlimited data, BB would almost be the only option as it's the only phone that can actually work with under 500MB of data in a month.
    bldshd, bluetroll and just_luc like this.
    09-19-12 12:23 AM
    They are dissolving bis....bb10 would work well on regular internet plan like androids.....bes stays !!!
    09-19-12 04:48 AM
    forget bb10 on playbook I'm still waiting for the 2.1 upgrade
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    09-19-12 09:00 AM
    I think I'll invest on a 4G LTE PB once it prices down for this matter.
    09-19-12 09:08 AM
    Why is "native" BBM on the Playbook important to you if you have a Blackberry phone and bridge? I don't use the native PIM applications that are there now. Bridge kicks !

What am I missing? Not meant as a "gig". I just really want to know if there's something I'm not seeing....
    FOr people like me that no longer use a bb handset but still love their playbook.
    09-19-12 09:17 AM
    They are dissolving bis....
    Says who?
    09-19-12 09:19 AM
    Says who?
    rumours .....there is no confirmation over anything ...we are not even sure about native bbm
    09-19-12 12:01 PM
    I'm still baffled as to why this is news, this was confirmed long ago. Maybe people just forgot because it was sooo long ago, lol.
    It's isn't news. It's an aggregation of RIM employees' statements about BB10 and Native BBM coming to PlayBook.

Look through all the recent OS 2.1 threads and you'll see a lot of posts that question whether these have been promised or not. Obviously things can change, but at least we can more easily go back to this and point to who said what when. :-)
    09-20-12 07:28 AM
    It's isn't news. It's an aggregation of RIM employees' statements about BB10 and Native BBM coming to PlayBook.

Look through all the recent OS 2.1 threads and you'll see a lot of posts that question whether these have been promised or not. Obviously things can change, but at least we can more easily go back to this and point to who said what when. :-)
    and since when does that matter, granted RIM is under different leadership but still the company has said too many things and no followed thru with them to believe anything. BBM was written with cascades so I honestly dont see us getting it until BB10 is on the playbook next spring
    09-20-12 10:37 AM
    Another good question....
    Well, if you turn off the mobile network on a current BB phone but still have wifi, you still receive emails and BBMs. I don't think lack of a cellular connection will be a problem for BBM.

It's clear now that RIM had no intention of bringing BBM to the Playbook until their next gen phones were released. Doing so would undercut their legacy phones (i.e. non-QNX) phones. RIM makes a ton of money on service fees. If BBM were available on the Playbook many people would get other phones and use the Playbook tablet for BBM, denying RIm those service fees. It was a double-edged sword though because RIM took a hit to its reputation for not having BBM, it's crown jewel, on the Playbook.
    bungaboy and randall2580 like this.
    09-21-12 01:07 PM
    There aren't enough PlayBooks out there to make a meaningful difference to RIM financially. They're better off throwing their early adopters a bone by offering the feature than by being stingy.
    BBM goes through RIM servers (BIS). BIS is service that is offered only through a monthly fee.
    Kind of like how you pay your internet service provider monthly to send data through their servers to connect to the internet. Rogers, or Bell, or T-Mobile, certainly wouldn't give anyone a free lifetime subscription to internet, so why would RIM?
    09-21-12 02:44 PM
    I'm aware of that. They can change that quite easily. It'd be a good thing actually, BIS outages are probably one of the worst things for RIM's rep.
    09-21-12 04:17 PM
    I'm aware of that. They can change that quite easily. It'd be a good thing actually, BIS outages are probably one of the worst things for RIM's rep.
    I don't disagree with you that this is the reality, but the outages are sooo overblown. It's kind of rediculous. Most people don't understand the complexity of the system. Nor do they realize that RIM maintains over a 99.99% uptime. Just think about the sheer number of emails, bbms, browser clicks, etc. that flow through their system around the world flawlessly almost everyday.

On a side note, let's not forget that a certain other company has had several outages on it's cloud services too. But no one criticizes them because "it's magic."
    09-22-12 11:47 AM
    I assume you're talking about Apple. They get criticised too, and plenty of people refuse to buy their products due to lack of reliability.
    09-22-12 12:08 PM
    Well, if you turn off the mobile network on a current BB phone but still have wifi, you still receive emails and BBMs.
    I'm pretty sure that it's the sim card that counts.
    09-22-12 12:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure that it's the sim card that counts.
    Worth testing... Let me put any other sim card into my 9780, turn carrier off and let wifi take over.

EDIT:

Test one: no sim. As expected, no BIS related feature worked over WiFi.

Test two: BIS-less sim. Same results.

On a sidenote, BlackBerry Protect was all worked up because of the alien sim card...
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-22-12 at 02:28 PM.
    09-22-12 01:49 PM
    Worth testing... Let me put any other sim card into my 9780, turn carrier off and let wifi take over.

EDIT:

Test one: no sim. As expected, no BIS related feature worked over WiFi.

Test two: BIS-less sim. Same results.

On a sidenote, BlackBerry Protect was all worked up because of the alien sim card...
    Ah I wasn't aware that was the case. thanks for testing it out. Hopefully, this doesn't mean BBM will not work on the wifi only Playbooks. I thought they were moving away from BIS plans in the future. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all plays out.
    09-22-12 03:08 PM
    09-26-12 09:19 PM
    someone loaded the newest dev alpha to get that. Its basically useless though as the OS doesnt work at all on the PB according to others that have done this
    09-26-12 09:28 PM
    I think we now know why BBM hasn't been released for the playbook. We now know that the new BBM doesn't use a PIN in BB10 and won't be backwardly compatible with OS7 and prior BBM

What would be the point of releasing it on the Playbook, only for people to rant and complain that they can't BBM anyone with a blackberry handset? I think it's been deliberately witheld for that exact reason
    09-27-12 06:25 AM
    I think we now know why BBM hasn't been released for the playbook. We now know that the new BBM doesn't use a PIN in BB10 and won't be backwardly compatible with OS7 and prior BBM

What would be the point of releasing it on the Playbook, only for people to rant and complain that they can't BBM anyone with a blackberry handset? I think it's been deliberately witheld for that exact reason
    Yeah no you are so completely wrong about this. I have BlackBerry 10 on my Dev Alpha. I am BBMing someone with the Curve 8520 right now using the new BBM. Minds blown.

The new BBM is awesome, and it works with any device.
    just_luc likes this.
    09-27-12 08:18 AM
92 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD