I created this so we can keep track of official/confirmed reports that BB10 and Native BBM will be made available for the PlayBook. If you find other confirmed reports, please add them.

Here's what I've found so far:

March 14, 2012
    RIM confirms BB10 is coming to BlackBerry Playbook
    Direct quote from Rob Orr: "At some point after the launch we'll bring BB10 to our PlayBooks, yes."

June 19, 2012
    Astonishing UIs using the new BlackBerry 10 framework - part 1
    Garrett Beukeboom, RIM Developer Relations, at slide 7 (8:15) states: "BlackBerry 10 will be coming to the PlayBook, uh, in the future"

August 23, 2012
    The BGR Show - RIM's BlackBerry 10 Phones (RIM CMO Frank Boulben talks BlackBerry 10 and company strategy)
    Direct quote from Frank in video: "...we will be introducing BBM also on the PlayBook in the near future..."

I'm very much rooting for RIM, and have been a staunch supporter for years. They've missed a lot of dates as we all know, but I for one would really appreciate a first class OS like BB10 on my PlayBooks. Hopefully as their user base, we can help hold them accountable.
    Last edited by sagec; 09-28-12 at 02:10 PM.
    09-17-12 01:54 PM
    interesting quote from the techradar article

"We've said publicly a number of times that our first BB10 handset will be available towards the end of 2012, and that's still firmly the case," Rob Orr, RIM's VP of product management told us.
    made me chuckle
    sagec, balding1, mikeo007 and 3 others like this.
    09-17-12 01:57 PM
    At some point, in the near future,hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhaahha

Brilliant, tell me another!
    balding1 and Syrous44 like this.
    09-17-12 01:57 PM
    BBM will come to Playbook very shortly (from the Dev Alpha update in September).
    09-17-12 01:59 PM
    BBM will come to Playbook very shortly (from the Dev Alpha update in September).
    Will this Dev Alpha update be loadable on PlayBooks?
    09-17-12 02:00 PM
    Yep, at some point, soonish?
    09-17-12 02:03 PM
    I'm still waiting for 2.1!!
    masqueofhastur and Syrous44 like this.
    09-17-12 02:06 PM
    Ed just download 2.1.8 it works as reliably and better than 2.0

Why would you not?
    bungaboy and snarlybear like this.
    09-17-12 02:09 PM
    Why is "native" BBM on the Playbook important to you if you have a Blackberry phone and bridge? I don't use the native PIM applications that are there now. Bridge kicks !

What am I missing? Not meant as a "gig". I just really want to know if there's something I'm not seeing....
    kozmo68, juacas and sleepngbear like this.
    09-17-12 02:09 PM
    Maybe the biggest news is that he said BB10 phones will drop towards the end of 2012. Many here were under the assumption it wouldn't be released until Q1 2013 (not from any official statements, I believe, but rather from the leak of a photo from BB jam).
    09-17-12 02:11 PM
    How will BBM work on PlayBook and Dev Alpha without a BIS plan for the devices?
    broy2009 likes this.
    09-17-12 02:11 PM
    Another good question....
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-17-12 02:14 PM
    Why is "native" BBM on the Playbook important to you if you have a Blackberry phone and bridge? I don't use the native PIM applications that are there now. Bridge kicks !

What am I missing? Not meant as a "gig". I just really want to know if there's something I'm not seeing....
    Not everyone who has a PlayBook will have a BlackBerry. By having BBM as a stand-alone option, it gives people without a BB the ability to use BBM. It might end up being a gateway drug into getting a BB10 phone and bridging the two.
    esk369, bldshd, JR A and 5 others like this.
    09-17-12 02:20 PM
    Ed just download 2.1.8 it works as reliably and better than 2.0

Why would you not?
    How? I haven't got a notification for anything higher than 2.0.1.668
    09-17-12 02:22 PM
    They'll rewrite it so that it is compatible with old BlackBerrys, PlayBooks and BB10 devices.
    reidban likes this.
    09-17-12 02:23 PM
    You don't think that if they can build a brand new OS then they can't also figure out a way to update their server technology to match?
    09-17-12 02:23 PM
    You don't think that if they can build a brand new OS then they can't also figure out a way to update their server technology to match?
    PlayBook OS didn't even launch with mail support, so....
    09-17-12 02:24 PM
    in the near future
    when it is ready
    at some point
    very shortly
    soon

What thesaurus is RIM using?
    09-17-12 02:28 PM

BBM groups don't work via Bridge and it can be a little frustrating at times.
    I have 33 personal BBM contacts which work great via Bridge but I have another 55 in a couple of BBM groups which don't appear on the PB when I am Bridged.
    Uncle Remus, sagec, Xopher and 1 others like this.
    09-17-12 02:32 PM
    Maybe the biggest news is that he said BB10 phones will drop towards the end of 2012. Many here were under the assumption it wouldn't be released until Q1 2013 (not from any official statements, I believe, but rather from the leak of a photo from BB jam).
    That article is a about 6 months old. I think Thor is the one that said Q1 of 2013.
    09-17-12 02:37 PM
    Not everyone who has a PlayBook will have a BlackBerry. By having BBM as a stand-alone option, it gives people without a BB the ability to use BBM. It might end up being a gateway drug into getting a BB10 phone and bridging the two.
    There's a good point. Plus, if it's like the native PIM apps, and you do have a BB phone then you don't have to use it if you don't want too.

Thanks....
    09-17-12 02:51 PM
    BBM groups don't work via Bridge and it can be a little frustrating at times.
    I have 33 personal BBM contacts which work great via Bridge but I have another 55 in a couple of BBM groups which don't appear on the PB when I am Bridged.
    Another good point! You obviously have a lot more BB friends than I do so I would not have noticed that. Hopefully that's something they'll fix on the bridge version too.

Thank you too....
    09-17-12 02:54 PM
    Another good point! You obviously have a lot more BB friends than I do so I would not have noticed that. Hopefully that's something they'll fix on the bridge version too.

Thank you too....
    I live in Waterloo ON, 3km from HQ. Almost everyone I know has a BB.
    It's akin to driving through Michigan. Most drive Chev, Dodge and Fords but not to many Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas.
    Support the local economy.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 09-17-12 at 02:57 PM.
    09-17-12 02:55 PM
    I live in Waterloo ON, 3km from HQ. Almost everyone I know has a BB.
    It's akin to driving through Michigan. Most drive Chev, Dodge and Fords but not to many Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas.
    Support the local economy.

Ha ha ha! I just noticed that! Joke's on me...

I support your local economy too....as much as I can anyway 'cause I want RIM to not only stay "alive" but prosper! I'm a die-hard (no double entendre intended) RIM fan....me and all six of my BBM contacts!
    09-17-12 03:06 PM
    How? I haven't got a notification for anything higher than 2.0.1.668
    Read the 2.1.0 Beta sticky in the Tablet OS forum.
    You don't get update notifications for beta updates.
    09-17-12 03:08 PM
92 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD