exactly. but also, 10 is a nice round number to start the 'new direction' of the company.
    X is also the roman numeral for 10 if im not mistaken.
    02-25-12 08:51 PM
    If RIM waits to load all the upgrades into a single OS update then they will miss out on multiple opportunities to call legitimate attention to themselves with press conferences, tech blog articles, customer buzz and all sorts of cheering. Consistent roll outs will allow the installed base of early adopters, yeah all of us Playbook users, the BETA TESTERS, to verify function and yield feedback, both positive and negative. Further, regular roll outs of functionality will bring confidence to current and possible future users of RIM products that by some reports and posts on this forum is lacking now.
    Look at the generated by RIM's recent OS2 release and all the negative buzz that was generated by the long delay, and the confusing feedback and reports that are still washing about on the internets. Perhaps RIM is on the north bound track heading to the promised land. There is a lot of track that must be layer for this journey. That track needs to be laid and used in operational segments and attention called to each part as it is built and installed. The journey may be long and the destination distant, stops for fuel and passengers along the way can relieve the tedium of the long journey.
    I want to point out that the posters in this forum whether making insightful, negative or positive comments about their device, are users of their device, and nothing would be better for RIM than a bunch of happy curious excited device owners making insightful happy curious posts. What could make Crackberry members who own a playbook upbeat better than regular upgrades?

Smile
    02-25-12 10:21 PM
    Why would anyone think it would?.. remember that when BB10 hits the playbook will be a 2 year old design and Blackberry has left devices younger than that out in the cold from updates......and that is millions of customers, some couldnt get 0s 5.0, some not 6.0 and some not 7.0... so i dont see the masses *assuming* playbook would be immune

With Blackberry we have learned not to assume, so this is great news

. Why would anyone think BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 3.0 aka BlackBerry OS 10 would not run on the current BlackBerry PlayBooks?.?
    02-25-12 10:43 PM
    Yes, available at the same time, but not available to these two when iOS 5 was initially released.
    actually with Apple the software release always precedes the new phones that come preloaded with it...Iphone 4s wasn't available in the market until the 14th of October and IOS 5 was released worldwide before that making it available to 3GS, IPhone 4 and Ipod touch devices
    addicted44 likes this.
    02-25-12 11:07 PM
    Well, I just hit the Check for Updates button, but it's not available. Why can't RIM deliver on its promises?
    ezrunner likes this.
    02-25-12 11:08 PM
    Yes, available at the same time, but not available to these two when iOS 5 was initially released.
    What do you mean? It was available for iPhone 4, 3GS, the last couple iPod Touches, and both iPads on the same day. That was a day or two before the iPhone 4S arrived.
    02-25-12 11:08 PM
    Maybe this is how RIM are doing it:

PlayBook OS 1 = BlackBerry 8
    PlayBook OS 2 = BlackBerry 9
    PlayBook OS 3 = BlackBerry 10

This would explain the sudden jump to 10. It's pretty cool thinking that I'm using BlackBerry 9 right now.
    Now there is a thought.
    I was quarelling with someone saying jumping to BB10 is illogical.
    02-26-12 07:08 AM
    Alec Saunders confirmed on Twitter this morning that PlayBook WiFi will receive the BB10 OS upgrade!
    Its not in his Twitter feed, can you post a link to whatever feed he said that in? I'd like to read it.

Thx
    02-26-12 08:53 AM
    Its not in his Twitter feed, can you post a link to whatever feed he said that in? I'd like to read it.
    You were expecting to find the words "BB10" or something, rather than a "confirmation" as the OP called it: https://twitter.com/#!/asaunders/sta...20768737247234

("Yes" is all he said in his actual tweet.)
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    02-26-12 09:21 AM
    Although BB10 is still many months away, it is exciting to know this is coming down the pipe. I somewhat doubt it would be a simultaneous release... Introducing new BB10 phones and offering the update to PlayBook, but I could be wrong. So maybe a year from the 2.0 update probably...
    02-26-12 01:10 PM
    Although BB10 is still many months away, it is exciting to know this is coming down the pipe. I somewhat doubt it would be a simultaneous release... Introducing new BB10 phones and offering the update to PlayBook, but I could be wrong. So maybe a year from the 2.0 update probably...
    I'm going the opposite way, and guessing that BB10 will be released on the PB BEFORE any BB10 phones are released. The PlayBook is the only hardware RIM has in the hands of users which can run BB10, so RIM would be foolish not to use us PlayBook owners as a BB10 test bed rather than releasing the first phones largely untested (beyond, obviously, internal testing). And RIM wouldn't be foolish when it comes to the management of their OSes, now would they?

Okay, so maybe I just talked myself out of it...
    BrizzadMan likes this.
    02-26-12 05:33 PM
    how dare you!

(haha i wrote that in capital please note --- nice runtime filters on the caps crackberry)
    Shhhhhhh!!!!!!
    Please, no yelling!
    Lol
    BBplaybookJS likes this.
    02-26-12 06:20 PM
    If this announcement qualifies as newsworthy from Research In Motion I fear the company has lost touch with reality. Why would anyone think BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 3.0 aka BlackBerry OS 10 would not run on the current BlackBerry PlayBooks? If support for the current generation tablet was dropped in such short order there would be a very hefty price to pay once the exodus began. Maybe Alec should focus on the rough edges, user interface inconsistencies, missing features especially bridge-mode applications such as Blackberry Travel, etc.?
    It was a tweet, not a press release. No way anybody can even guess from this what anybody at RIM is focusing on. How does this lead again to yet another discussion about everything RIM is doing wrong?
    02-26-12 06:32 PM
    Os 2 and bb10 won't be much different
    02-26-12 06:47 PM
    Ignore this post, wrong thread
    tharrison4815 likes this.
    02-26-12 07:04 PM
    Wait, does that mean the PlayBook I have right now will be getting supported and another OS this year/next year? The PlayBook that has already been out for a year will be getting support?

I am still surprised that it came out a year ago and is still amazing hardware wise, and I am use to cell phones and tablets where after a year (or 6 months with some phones) it is outdated and not supported.

If this is true, one part of me is thinking "No wonder RIM isn't the top company, they are not screwing their customers for every cent", but the other part is thinking "why the aren't more people supporting RIM when you can get the best AND not be bent over a pile of outdated, unsupported gadgets with your pockets turned inside out". If this is true, and I am interpreting it correctly, good for RIM! They just converted me into a BlackBerry Fanboy.
    Jeovex and Jake Storm like this.
    02-26-12 08:17 PM
    Cool, but I think we already knew that. Nice to get a confirmation though!
    02-27-12 12:10 AM
    Perhaps it was a clarification since there was the announcement that BB10 wouldn't be coming to "current devices"
    02-27-12 12:52 AM
    RIM better ensure that push email from NOC to QNX BB works flawlessly because there's no way I'd buy a future BB10 device that relies on active sync considering my latest experience with the native email client on the Playbook!!! People will leave them in droves otherwise!
    02-27-12 06:22 AM
    RIM better ensure that push email from NOC to QNX BB works flawlessly because there's no way I'd buy a future BB10 device that relies on active sync considering my latest experience with the native email client on the Playbook!!! People will leave them in droves otherwise!
    People have left in droves already....for devices that do not rely on push email from a NOC...
    02-27-12 08:40 AM
    Maybe I'm mistaken, but I've been under the impression that TabletOS has always been the beginnings of BB X (at one point I remember hearing that the London would run all existing Playbook Apps).
    02-27-12 10:20 AM
    What does WiFi have to do with it?
    02-27-12 10:33 AM
    i dont see why not. company will always try to update older phones with newest software updates whenever hardware permits, and the user experience is not compromised. the iPhone form factor has always been similar other than in specs, so even newer iOS works on older devices, sort of. When i updated my iphone 3G to iOS, it was so terribly slow that i'd rather run older versions of iOS.

i'd love to see some sort of QNX based os for the current bold 9900, but it's an unrealistic goal. Hardware wise it lacks touch sensitive bezel. It would be a compromised experience. Anyway OS 7 is pretty capable already, and i have a playbook. So not really missing out much. enough for me to wait till the BB10 nevada comes out.

Comparing the playbook os 2.0 to BBOS 7, i would say there's still a lot of room for improvement in functionality. BB10 phone will need to be able to do what BBOS 7 already can do, and make it even better. That's a lot of work IMO, trying to take what the BBOS (which has 10 years of development), and implementing it into a brand new OS in such a short time. But i'd say RIM is definitely on the right track. You can slowly see all the companies they have acquired in the past few years coming together into one complete OS.
    02-27-12 11:16 AM
    I don't really want the UI of my smartphone to be the same as my tablet.
    Same here. What�s best for one isn�t necessarily best for the other. While I love the Playbook OS, I also like having a separate OS optimized for my 9930. I always looked at iPad as just running a phone OS on a large screen. While PlayBook was a true tablet OS. I hope they don�t make one size fit all, just to say they did it. If it truly is the best OS for each, then great. But if not, keep them similar but optimized for the device.
    02-27-12 11:29 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD