Alec Saunders confirmed on Twitter this morning that PlayBook WiFi will receive the BB10 OS upgrade!
    Stewartj1, Nels, Chrisy and 3 others like this.
    02-25-12 11:56 AM
    I can feel a "when's it com....." thread starting up.
    02-25-12 12:02 PM
    Os3 will be like bb10
    02-25-12 12:03 PM
    Tablet OS 2 will moprh into BB10 essentially. you can call it what you want but its all going to be the same pretty much. Not sure why Alec would have to "confirm" anything
    02-25-12 12:14 PM
    OS3 is the next update for playbook, I think on the 2nd half of this year and BB10 will be release on the 4th quarter of 2012, where playbook can get another update and new phone will be release
    StringThing likes this.
    02-25-12 12:16 PM
    Didn't he already say earlier in the week that the Playbook would get BB10 but we should expect to get some more little updates between now and then?
    02-25-12 12:17 PM
    Wouldn't doubt that. It makes sense for RIM to move towards a unified mobile OS like Apple iOS, and what Google is doing with Ice Cream Sandwich.
    02-25-12 12:19 PM
    I thought Google was upgrading to Garlic Dill Pickle!
    02-25-12 12:26 PM
    Jellybean is the next Android update.
    02-25-12 12:28 PM
    Maybe this is how RIM are doing it:

PlayBook OS 1 = BlackBerry 8
    PlayBook OS 2 = BlackBerry 9
    PlayBook OS 3 = BlackBerry 10

This would explain the sudden jump to 10. It's pretty cool thinking that I'm using BlackBerry 9 right now.
    02-25-12 12:29 PM
    wouldn't doubt that. It makes sense for rim to move towards a unified mobile os like apple ios, and what google is doing with ice cream sandwich.
    how dare you!

(haha i wrote that in capital please note --- nice runtime filters on the caps crackberry)
    02-25-12 12:31 PM
    Wouldn't doubt that. It makes sense for RIM to move towards a unified mobile OS like Apple iOS, and what Google is doing with Ice Cream Sandwich.
    This makes the most sense, one OS for all BB devices. Question I have, is if BBX updates to older handsets, such as the Bold and Curve will be offered. iOS5, while not available initially to iPhone 3GS and iPhone4, is now available on those platforms.
    02-25-12 12:32 PM
    Maybe this is how RIM are doing it:

PlayBook OS 1 = BlackBerry 8
    PlayBook OS 2 = BlackBerry 9
    PlayBook OS 3 = BlackBerry 10

This would explain the sudden jump to 10. It's pretty cool thinking that I'm using BlackBerry 9 right now.
    The X in BBX originally stood for X as in QNX and meant the marriage of the QNX operating system with BlackBerry hardware, email etc and network. When another company that already used that acronym complained is when they started to call it BB 10

It's interesting to note that OS2 demonstrates they still haven't been able to seamlessly sync the two, but given time I'm sure the next generation of BB phones will be world beaters
    02-25-12 12:55 PM
    The X in BBX originally stood for X as in QNX and meant the marriage of the QNX operating system with BlackBerry hardware, email etc and network. When another company that already used that acronym complained is when they started to call it BB 10

It's interesting to note that OS2 demonstrates they still haven't been able to seamlessly sync the two, but given time I'm sure the next generation of BB phones will be world beaters
    I'm not sure what that last statement means. Do you mean simply that the OSs on the phone and tablet don't look/feel/function the same (yet)? If so, isn't that self evident? It's not like RIM stated anywhere that they were trying to achieve this. BB10 phones will admittedly be the 1st QNX-based phones but that doesn't necessarily mean that the UI will be the same. I don't really want the UI of my smartphone to be the same as my tablet.

I agree, though, that the next crop of BB10-based smart/super phones will be fantastic. RIM has a lot of very good engineers working there!
    02-25-12 01:10 PM
    This makes the most sense, one OS for all BB devices. Question I have, is if BBX updates to older handsets, such as the Bold and Curve will be offered. iOS5, while not available initially to iPhone 3GS and iPhone4, is now available on those platforms.
    Getting off topic, but I think it you are mistaken about ios5, as I remember it, they were available for the 3gs and ip4 at the same time...
    dobiefan and tasims like this.
    02-25-12 01:11 PM
    7 ate 9 which explains the jump to 10.
    02-25-12 01:25 PM
    The X in BBX originally stood for X as in QNX
    I assumed they originally came up with BB10 and then decided that BBX sounded more appealing where X means 10 such as "Mac OS X". But we're then forced to switch back when BBX were suing them.
    02-25-12 01:59 PM
    Tablet OS 2 will moprh into BB10 essentially. you can call it what you want but its all going to be the same pretty much. Not sure why Alec would have to "confirm" anything
    Matt,

What you may personally find obvious might not be that obvious to the general populace. Those currently owning PBs and those considering buying one need to be reassured that their device will not be loaded with a dead-end OS which gets abandoned, making their table obsolete. As a Storm owner yourself, you should be all too aware how that goes.
    diegonei, kbz1960 and Mystic205 like this.
    02-25-12 02:03 PM
    To apease minds and let people know RIM changed the pattern they created for old hardware on their phones?

Need I remind you OS5/6/7 and the horde of unsupported devices/left down users?

Good go RIM. Now people will be able to buy your hardware and expect something more of an Apple-approach (at least 3 generations of support).... If not better.

EDIT: Good catch Cletis, I didn't notice his device.

7 ate 9 which explains the jump to 10.
    Or we could think of TabletOS as v8 (1.0) and v9 (2.0/3.0)?

Doesn't work that well I know, but so far we know we'll see one more PB OS before we get to BB10.

True, but still makes some sense, eh?
    Last edited by diegonei; 02-25-12 at 02:17 PM.
    02-25-12 02:12 PM
    10/X could also apply to the series of phones as well, since right now we're on the 9xxx series.

I highly doubt the new OS will be ported over to the current gen devices. Keep in mind the every version if iOS is just an iteration of the previous version, much like how BBOS 4, 5, 6, and 7 are. RIM will be going with a completely new OS, as opposed to a face lifted, featured added, version of it's last version.

I'm not saying that the current hardware can't run the BB10 OS. There is probably just some minimum hardware standard that they will want to meet in order to ensure a decent user experience. Also bear in mind that although some previous gen iOS devices will receive new versions of iOS, the older devices will sometimes be missing features or functionality and their performance may suffer a bit due to being older hardware.
    02-25-12 02:16 PM
    10/X could also apply to the series of phones as well, since right now we're on the 9xxx series.

I highly doubt the new OS will be ported over to the current gen devices. Keep in mind the every version if iOS is just an iteration of the previous version, much like how BBOS 4, 5, 6, and 7 are. RIM will be going with a completely new OS, as opposed to a face lifted, featured added, version of it's last version.

I'm not saying that the current hardware can't run the BB10 OS. There is probably just some minimum hardware standard that they will want to meet in order to ensure a decent user experience. Also bear in mind that although some previous gen iOS devices will receive new versions of iOS, the older devices will sometimes be missing features or functionality and their performance may suffer a bit due to being older hardware.
    And they said it loud and clear, no BB10 till dual core phones are around. So since none of the phones in market meet that, we better not be getting any hopes to see BB10 on 99xx/98xx phones.

But it would be sweet to. And it would help keep those users in the fold. "Upgrade your device is you can, you'll get tons more, but you're covered software wise!"

Very unlikely but would be nice.
    02-25-12 02:19 PM
    Jellybean is the next Android update.
    heard a report this is coming out this summer lol...so much for the 1% that adopted ics...whats with these guys switching versions so often? itd be okay if they upgraded everyone but theres still phones being sold with 2.2 on them, no wonder android has such a huge problem with updates...no one can keep up with them!
    02-25-12 02:24 PM
    Getting off topic, but I think it you are mistaken about ios5, as I remember it, they were available for the 3gs and ip4 at the same time...
    Yes, available at the same time, but not available to these two when iOS 5 was initially released.
    02-25-12 04:40 PM
    Alec Saunders confirmed on Twitter this morning that PlayBook WiFi will receive the BB10 OS upgrade!
    If this announcement qualifies as newsworthy from Research In Motion I fear the company has lost touch with reality. Why would anyone think BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 3.0 aka BlackBerry OS 10 would not run on the current BlackBerry PlayBooks? If support for the current generation tablet was dropped in such short order there would be a very hefty price to pay once the exodus began. Maybe Alec should focus on the rough edges, user interface inconsistencies, missing features especially bridge-mode applications such as Blackberry Travel, etc.?
    02-25-12 05:23 PM

exactly. but also, 10 is a nice round number to start the 'new direction' of the company.
    02-25-12 05:36 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD