The ios5 ipads use 4 or 5 finger "gestures". This allows you to page through open apps , pinch to minimize, lift to get the app menu, etc. I'll stick with my pb but it was a huge stride for them.
    I tried those gestures in my bejeweled blitz tablet, I mean ipad2. The gestures make sense, but they are not as friendly as the PlayBook's. We have to also consider that the ipad is clunky compared to the more portable PlayBook.

edit: SHOWCASE MODE, BABY!
    Last edited by thecsman; 01-03-12 at 01:55 PM.
    01-03-12 01:38 PM
    And closing the app you are currently using is even more tedious since it won't show in the taskbar. You have to first go back to the Home screen, then double-click, scroll through the open apps, press and hold, and click the x. Not exactly intuitive. So many of my users forget about the multi-tasking, even though we show it to them. They just go to Home and launch it again and leave everything open in the bg... until they complain that it's not working and I show them again that they have 2 dozen apps open...

I've said it before, I don't believe tbat iPad won the tablet wars based on comparison, it was marketing.
    You're not scrolling through open apps, you are scrolling through app history. Yes one or two might be suspended, but apps are closed as memory is needed. (Some, like Pandora, might even still be playing audio.) Open Angry Birds, click the home button, open mail. Click the home button, then click AB icon. It resumes from where it left off. No need to double click. Now if you were to open the web browser, and open several tabs, when you returned to AB, you would see that the OS had totally closed it, no matter where you started it from.

If you're going to bash something, get your facts straight and bash it for the right reasons. Lack of ram/virtual memory, and the way attachments are handled when sending emails are two legitimate gripes. You lose all credibility when you post blatant lies.

I've always been curious why people buy the iPods anymore, now that they're practically an iPhone without the radio. iPhones can now be had for free, or $99.00, or $199.00 for the 4S with a 2 year carrier contract.
    If you are referring to the Touch, it because some want PDA functionality and don't need or want a smartphone and the data plan that comes with it. They also like to view videos and like the larger 32 and 64 gigs of flash memory.

Nano. I have a first and third gen Nano. They are small and light weight. They survive drops. The FM tuner on the latest models are exceptional. (Wife has one. She had tried three other radios in her office, none of them worked. Nano does. ) Mine goes into the center console of the car and interfaces with the stereo. I still have access to my phone. I also use it when working to listen to podcast with a single earbud.

I've known two people with the classic. They like to take everything with them. However, it's a hassle trying to navigate through that much content. Classics are also guaranteed to break if you drop them.

I finally went from five to four phones on my plan. Four phones with data plans isn't cheap. If you're on my plan and want data, get a job and get your own plan. (Which is why I am done to four )
    01-03-12 01:46 PM
    My mom and I both went half in to buy my dad an iPad 2 yesterday. 32GB wifi+3G in black.

It is a really nice piece of hardware and it synced easily to his phone! Was easy to set up.

It did make me decide to get a PlayBook though. I just like the PlayBook OS a lot more, the bezel gestures and the size.

Also, he had to add a $25/month data plan. I like that the PB doesn't require that extra fee.
    01-03-12 01:47 PM
    Originally Posted by alnamvet68
    I've always been curious why people buy the iPods anymore, now that they're practically an iPhone without the radio. iPhones can now be had for free, or $99.00, or $199.00 for the 4S with a 2 year carrier contract.

cuz ialready got my blackberry and i cant afford having an iPhone too, dont wanna pay another line and i dont wanna be tied for another 2 years with a carrier, the ipod is a good choice
    Agree with you - I didn't and don't want an iPhone or a contract my 64G iPod Touch is a great mp3 player and I use it almost exclusively for music now although I do also have a few games on it too. I have over nearly 3,000 songs on it and it goes with me everywhere. I jailbroke it as soon as I got it to get free apps but it was so much hassle whenever there was an update that I un-jailbroke it (or whatever the term is) and now just use it for music. I never used most of the apps anyway. I should add that with wi-fi I can also connect to my gmail and surf, however I generally use that to delete mail if I've nothing better to do. I also never considered using it as a PDA as I hate typing on that tiny virtual keyboard.
    Last edited by JiveGirl14; 01-03-12 at 02:04 PM.
    01-03-12 01:54 PM
    Can you put your own mp3 files on an iPod, iPhone, iPad or do you have to buy everything?
    01-03-12 02:06 PM
    As far as I know you can put the music you already have onto an Apple device. My parents have all their music on their iphones and iPad. That music was ripped from CDs.
    01-03-12 02:09 PM
    You're not scrolling through open apps, you are scrolling through app history. Yes one or two might be suspended, but apps are closed as memory is needed. (Some, like Pandora, might even still be playing audio.) Open Angry Birds, click the home button, open mail. Click the home button, then click AB icon. It resumes from where it left off. No need to double click. Now if you were to open the web browser, and open several tabs, when you returned to AB, you would see that the OS had totally closed it, no matter where you started it from.

If you're going to bash something, get your facts straight and bash it for the right reasons. Lack of ram/virtual memory, and the way attachments are handled when sending emails are two legitimate gripes. You lose all credibility when you post blatant lies.
    No "blatant lies" just my experience and possibly some arguments over semantics. If you're saying that the apps in the "multi-tasking bar" are not multi-tasking, but merely showing a history of apps, then it defies its own name and doesn't make much sense, to me. And the fact that I had 3 people ask me at the same event about not getting email and after taking their iPhones and doing NOTHING except closing all the apps in the "multi-tasking bar" they suddenly started receiving email, must've been a coincidence even though I've seen it happen other times too? Either the phone wasn't doing what you claim it is supposed to or ???
    01-03-12 02:16 PM
    Can you put your own mp3 files on an iPod, iPhone, iPad or do you have to buy everything?
    Yes, you may put your wn MP3s on it. Rip from a CD, purchase from Amazon, WalMart, BitTorrent, or music files that you 'acquired' from a friends house with your thumb drive.

No "blatant lies" just my experience and possibly some arguments over semantics. If you're saying that the apps in the "multi-tasking bar" are not multi-tasking, but merely showing a history of apps, then it defies its own name and doesn't make much sense, to me. And the fact that I had 3 people ask me at the same event about not getting email and after taking their iPhones and doing NOTHING except closing all the apps in the "multi-tasking bar" they suddenly started receiving email, must've been a coincidence even though I've seen it happen other times too? Either the phone wasn't doing what you claim it is supposed to or ???
    Sorry, I'll cut you some slack then. All apps that you open are shown on the multitasking bar. They are kept 'suspended' in the background until you call them up again. Some apps, like music apps are still running and are not suspended. (Is there really any to have AB running in the background?) When iOS needs more memory a suspended app is closed, but it still shows up in the bar as history. The problem is that iOS 5 does a poor job of it, especially on the first gen iPad. What is happening is that iOS is not releasing enough memory, and next time that issue arises, if you only close the first app or two in the bar, you will see that it runs fine. (Yes, I am constantly clearing the multitasking bar on mine).
    01-03-12 03:32 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD