Just got this email from Comwave. Awesome app if you aren't using it and now it is available cross platform.

Email below:

You're first to find out.

Many of you have requested the ability to place and receive calls from their PC & Mac computers. Well... we have listened and done one better, it's called ePhone Anywhere(tm). With ePhone Anywhere(tm) you can make and receive calls from your ePhone Playbook App AND from any computer in the world by simply logging into www.comwave.net/ephone <http://www.comwave/ephone> . ePhone Anywhere(tm) is just $10 more than our regular ePhone and as always, you get your own phone number and free local and long distance calling to 57 countries for a full year.

And more good news... if you don't own a Playbook, now ePhone is for you too. For just $20/year, anyone anywhere in the world can use ePhone to make and receive calls from their computer. So spread the word and tell your friends. Video calling is also supported between all ePhone users for free.

So now you have 3 ePhone ways to connect:

1. ePhone $20/year (PC & Mac)
    2. ePhone for Playbook $20/year
    3. ePhone Anywhere $30/year.

Buy ePhone today at www.comwave.net/ephone <http://www.comwave.net/ephone> .

All ePhone plans include:
    Unlimited free incoming calls.
    Your own phone number so landlines and mobiles can call you
    250 free local & long distance minutes per month for 12 months to call across the street or around the globe (That's 3000 free minutes to 57 countries)
    Unlimited free ePhone-2-ePhone
    Free video calling
    No monthly fees

Users that go over 250 minutes/month will be billed at our low rates. Check them out at Home Phone and Long Distance | VoIP Internet Phone | Comwave Telecom Canada <http://www.comwave.net/> . Skype who?

Team ePhone
    Last edited by yzf.shaun; 08-25-11 at 01:39 AM.
    rossjackson01 likes this.
    08-24-11 02:17 PM
    I got the same email but haven't been able to sign my wife's laptop up. The first link in the email is bogus and if you use one of the other links, while they are valid, their server must be overloaded because when you go to pick a phone number it locks up. I'll try again tomorrow.
    08-24-11 04:05 PM
    WOW!

Once I get a Playbook, I'm definitely getting this! Only $30 for a year!!!!

I wont have to use Google Voice anymore (unless of course they release an app for PB that allows calls). Even though GV is free, if Comwave can beat or match the SMS and Call Management infrastructure that is the awesomeness of Google Voice, then that will be a MARVELOUS feat.
    08-24-11 04:21 PM
    I got the same email but haven't been able to sign my wife's laptop up. The first link in the email is bogus and if you use one of the other links, while they are valid, their server must be overloaded because when you go to pick a phone number it locks up. I'll try again tomorrow.
    This is an issue we are investigating however as workaround, If you click on the phone number field as opposed to the drop-down arrow, it will work. Basically select the State, City, and phone number by clicking in the Middle of the box and not the little arrows on the drop-down box. That will let you continue without hanging the process.
    08-24-11 06:10 PM
    correct link is www.comwave.net/ephone.
    togardergrosse likes this.
    08-24-11 06:13 PM
    Yes they sent an email to correct that I will also change the link in my first post.

well worth the money. Awesome customer service and a great piece of software.
    08-25-11 01:39 AM
    Can a Comwave user call a Skype user?
    08-25-11 05:30 AM
    Just got this email from Comwave. Awesome app if you aren't using it and now it is available cross platform.

Email below:

You're first to find out.

Many of you have requested the ability to place and receive calls from their PC & Mac computers. Well... we have listened and done one better, it's called ePhone Anywhere(tm). With ePhone Anywhere(tm) you can make and receive calls from your ePhone Playbook App AND from any computer in the world by simply logging into www.comwave.net/ephone <http://www.comwave/ephone> . ePhone Anywhere(tm) is just $10 more than our regular ePhone and as always, you get your own phone number and free local and long distance calling to 57 countries for a full year.

And more good news... if you don't own a Playbook, now ePhone is for you too. For just $20/year, anyone anywhere in the world can use ePhone to make and receive calls from their computer. So spread the word and tell your friends. Video calling is also supported between all ePhone users for free.

So now you have 3 ePhone ways to connect:

1. ePhone $20/year (PC & Mac)
    2. ePhone for Playbook $20/year
    3. ePhone Anywhere $30/year.

Buy ePhone today at www.comwave.net/ephone <http://www.comwave.net/ephone> .

All ePhone plans include:
    Unlimited free incoming calls.
    Your own phone number so landlines and mobiles can call you
    250 free local & long distance minutes per month for 12 months to call across the street or around the globe (That's 3000 free minutes to 57 countries)
    Unlimited free ePhone-2-ePhone
    Free video calling
    No monthly fees

Users that go over 250 minutes/month will be billed at our low rates. Check them out at Home Phone and Long Distance | VoIP Internet Phone | Comwave Telecom Canada <http://www.comwave.net/> . Skype who?

Team ePhone
    I am in the UK and have downloaded the Comwave app on PB, but have not been able to register with Comwave, the registration form seems to be only for the US or Canada. Has anyone from the UK managed to register and use it? If so please kindly advise how.

Many thanks.
    08-25-11 06:30 AM
    Yes I am in the UK and registered with my UK address.

This is open globally though you can only obtain a US or Canadian number by chosing a number from the city of your choice.
    peacebelfast likes this.
    08-25-11 06:44 AM
    Great, thank you, I was able to register and have just made a phone call. This is really good. Will we look daft if we make calls on the Playbook in public?

Best wishes
    Peacebelfast
    08-25-11 08:10 AM
    I had the trial with the playbook and it was pretty good... My only suggestion should be that if you do the computer/playbook combo for 30 dollars, you should receive more minutes compared to the 20 dollar plan.
    08-25-11 08:56 AM
    I had the trial with the playbook and it was pretty good... My only suggestion should be that if you do the computer/playbook combo for 30 dollars, you should receive more minutes compared to the 20 dollar plan.
    I signed up for the $20 plan before the $30 plan came out. I had some problems and they quickly resolved my problem. While I was on phone with them they explained this new plan. It is allowing you to use your laptop when you do not have your PB with you. So it is giving you freedom to use more methods to place the calls. So I am guessing that is why you do not get more minutes for $30.
    08-25-11 10:28 AM
    Finally got my wife's laptop signed up. Wasn't able to get a phone number in her state but that's okay. I'm gone a lot and one of the main reasons I got the PB was to be able to video conference with her. We were going to use Skype but of course they've chosen to not support the PB. This is a wonderful solution and we are looking forward to using it.

I already paid the $20 fee for my PB. Does anyone know how to 'upgrade' that to the $30 plan. As for the $30 plan I don't need any extra minutes but really wish they'd include free voice mail as part of that package.
    08-25-11 10:42 AM
    Finally got my wife's laptop signed up. Wasn't able to get a phone number in her state but that's okay. I'm gone a lot and one of the main reasons I got the PB was to be able to video conference with her. We were going to use Skype but of course they've chosen to not support the PB. This is a wonderful solution and we are looking forward to using it.

I already paid the $20 fee for my PB. Does anyone know how to 'upgrade' that to the $30 plan. As for the $30 plan I don't need any extra minutes but really wish they'd include free voice mail as part of that package.
    go in to the comwave.net and try to sign in using laptop. It will tell you that you are not signed up and will be a button to click to upgrade, click it and it will take you in for upgrading. that is what happen for me. It works great on the PB and the laptop but I have only used voice to voice calling a land line and a mobile number so I have not tried the video chat yet.
    dcscott likes this.
    08-25-11 12:26 PM
    i registered..tested and it works great..

i got a few silly questions though which i couldnt find on the website:

-what are the 57 countries which i can call for free?
    -it says i can use 250 minutes per month (total 3000 minutes per year) i signed up for the $ 30 per year. how do i know that i have used 250 exactly and if i have gone over the permitted amount?
    -if, lets say, my wife wants to call me while im on business travel, how can she do it? does she sign up to another deal on comwave? or can she register for free and have a video chat with me? can she only dial me from the PC? or another PB?

thanks,
    08-26-11 06:43 AM
    1)Here are the countries

Andorra
    Argentina
    Australia
    Austria - other
    Bahrain
    Belgium
    Brazil
    Brunei *
    Canada *
    Chile
    China *
    Colombia
    Croatia
    CyprusCzech Republic
    Denmark
    Dominican Republic
    Estonia
    France
    Germany
    Greece
    Guadeloupe
    Guam *
    Hong Kong *
    Hungary
    Iceland
    India *
    IrelandIsrael
    Italy
    Japan
    Luxembourg
    Malaysia
    Mexico
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Peru
    Poland
    Portugal
    Puerto Rico *
    Romania
    RussiaSan Marino
    Singapore *
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    Thailand *
    Turkey
    United Kingdom
    United States *
    U.S. Virgin Islands *
    Venezuela
    *Calls to mobile phones included
    All Calls to landline phones included, excludes certain call types such as calls to premium numbers. Calls to mobile phones may be included depending on the destination. Certain countries exclude associated territories. Calls to Colombia include Bogota & Cali only. Calls to Mexico include Guadalajara, Mexico City & Monterrey only. Calls to Russia include Moscow & St. Petersburg only. Calls to the United States include all area codes except 808 & 907
    close

2) I can't answer. You need to email support for this one.

3)You wife just calls the Comwave number the you initially chose when you signed up. She can do this from landline / mobile or if she registers for a Comwave plan on the PC you can then video chat / voice call to each other unlimited.

Hope this clears things up a little for you.
    08-26-11 11:31 AM
    I live in the UK and tried out the Comwave free three day trial of the ephone on my PB. It worked well for making both mobile and landline calls, so I decided to go for the $30 per year to use the ephone on pc or PB. After I had paid the $30 I tried making a few calls. To local UK landline and mobile phones. I then looked at my Comwave account and was surprised to find to find extra charges appearing. After delving very deeply into Comwave site I found that mobile calls in the UK are not included in the $30. As most of us now days use mobile, particularly when travelling this makes Comwave useless to me. I have wasted the $30. Before signing up I sent several emails to Comwave explaining that I wanted to make landline and mobile calls on the ephone, and asked if the service was available in the UK. They replied saying that it was, but that I would have to have a Canadian or US tel number. They did not advise that mobile calls in the UK were not included in the price. They are charging .25c per minute for mobile. I can already make mobile calls from my home landline for .10c per minute. I am very very annoyed. So please UK crackberrys think carefully before giving away your $30.

Very disgruntled
    Peacebelfast

Post script. I contacted Comwave with my concerns. They very quickly got back to me and firstly offered to refund my money and secondly said that after consulting with their marketing team, and looking at Skype UK mobile charges, they were reducing the mobile UK cost per minute from $0.25 to $0.185 per minute, this converts to about �0.11 per minute which is almost in line with the cost I currently pay to use mobile world wide. I feel that they dealt with my concerns quickly and fairly and I will stay with the service for a year and see how I get on. Can anyone imagine BT lowering their costs if you contacted them, I don't think so!

Mostly mollified Peacebelfast
    Last edited by peacebelfast; 08-31-11 at 05:29 AM. Reason: post script
    08-30-11 05:50 AM
    So far, I have really loved the ePhone app too!

Have any of your tried their high speed internet service? Would you recommend it as well?
    04-04-13 10:56 AM
    COMWAVE, I love ephone will have no problem paying but just curious will the app open up or recognize a call coming through if the app is not currently open? That is huge and without makes receive calls almost useless unless you know someone is callkng.

Another item while I am here. Is there anyway to setup so you don't have to go through the two stages UNLOCK and then ACCEPT? Or whatever the second one is can't remember. They are pains and slow / hang sometimes.
    Thanks so much for the app. Looking forward to your continuing improvements.
    04-04-13 01:14 PM
    The app needs to be open to receive a call.

I use the app as well on playbook, would be nice if the developers made it receive a notification or ring sound some how when app is closed or at least have voicemail.
    04-04-13 01:16 PM
    The app needs to be open to receive a call.
    Yes,I have and use the app just wondering if the update will address this. Btw I believe Comwave does have voice mail, you have to pay for it I believe.
    xamdam likes this.
    04-04-13 04:24 PM
    Yes,I have and use the app just wondering if the update will address this. Btw I believe Comwave does have voice mail, you have to pay for it I believe.
    I not sure if update address this as I see no update yet?

As for voice mail yes I know they have it for a price, but it should be free since app has to be open all the time, why should consumers pay for voice mail on an app that requires it to valve open for calls.

Does my Z10 need this nope, voice mail works even when phone us off, so comwave should give us free voice mail with their app due to its limitations.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-04-13 10:31 PM
    there is an App for BB 7.0 phone as well
    I tried to sign in with my PB Comwave account it does not work
    you have to have a separate account for each platform I think
    anyone has the same experience?
    04-04-13 10:38 PM
    how much do you pay for min in Canada or USA if you exceed your time allotment?
    04-04-13 11:21 PM
    how much do you pay for min in Canada or USA if you exceed your time allotment?
    I make free calls within Canada and from Canada to USA with comwave, so it's free.

Posted via CB10, BB10, Z10
    04-05-13 07:40 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD