Hello everybody! I am new to these forums, and I would just like to ask a simple question:

Firstly, I need to mention that this never used to happen, and everything used to be fine. Anyway, I haven't used my PlayBook ever since I got a brand new computer, but I started trying to get back into it recently, and the first thing I thought of doing was to transfer some movies over, and so, I plugged in my PlayBook and it recognised it, but it didn't appear as mass storage. Yes, the desktop software recognised it, although I cannot access the files on it via my computer.. Can anyone help please?

• PlayBook is running OS 2.1.0.1526
    • Computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Thanks!
    05-13-13 01:22 PM
    Hi Josh and welcome to the CB community !

As a start, you may check if you have enabled file sharing within the "storage and sharing" settings of the PlayBook. (hit the gray gear on the top right corner on the PB).
    Also, it might help to set the USB connection mode to "Windows" in the same section.

Let us know how it goes.
    Josh Crowe likes this.
    05-13-13 01:30 PM
    Hi Josh and welcome to the CB community !

As a start, you may check if you have enabled file sharing within the "storage and sharing" settings of the PlayBook. (hit the gray gear on the top right corner on the PB).
    Also, it might help to set the USB connection mode to "Windows" in the same section.

Let us know how it goes.
    ALSO, make sure you are using the DATA Cable that came with the Playbook.
    Using a "charging" usb or other "low quality" usb cables can cause this.

C
    Superfly_FR and Josh Crowe like this.
    05-13-13 01:35 PM
    Also turn of wifi. For some reason, the QNX system has some problems linking with the computer properly with wifi enabled. This goes for both the Playbook OS and the BB10 OS
    Carl Estes and Josh Crowe like this.
    05-13-13 01:45 PM
    this thread should help alot once you check the settings mentioned above,,, using the instructions here, coupled w/ a charging dock, you can "unleash" your pb for good & save yourself from the dreaded broken usb port connector issue...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-wi-fi-661022/
    Superfly_FR and Carl Estes like this.
    05-13-13 02:43 PM
    Also turn of wifi. For some reason, the QNX system has some problems linking with the computer properly with wifi enabled. This goes for both the Playbook OS and the BB10 OS
    Umm...yours might, mine doesn't...maybe an issue with your device specifically? I hook up to my computer through USB every day with my wifi enabled and have never had to turn my wifi off to get the computer to recognize it. Nor have I heard of anyone else having too. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen but really seems like an anomaly that few (if any other than yourself) have experienced. The QNX system on PB has no problems connecting with a computer while wifi is enabled.
    05-13-13 02:49 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help.

First of all, took Superfly_FR's suggestion, and turned both to as said.

Then, I tried out Carl Estes' recommendation, Desktop Software recognizes the PlayBook, along with the Device Manager, but Windows doesn't actually recognize the device as mass storage, and it used to. Whether I am using the data cable that came with the PlayBook, or the charger that came with my Curve 9320.

Third of all, I tried masterscarhed1's suggestion of turning WiFi off because of "QNX Issues," and it wasn't turned on the initial tests.

Is SEAWARRIOR's suggestion my final option?
    05-13-13 03:10 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help.

First of all, took Superfly_FR's suggestion, and turned both to as said.

Then, I tried out Carl Estes' recommendation, Desktop Software recognizes the PlayBook, along with the Device Manager, but Windows doesn't actually recognize the device as mass storage, and it used to. Whether I am using the data cable that came with the PlayBook, or the charger that came with my Curve 9320.

Third of all, I tried masterscarhed1's suggestion of turning WiFi off because of "QNX Issues," and it wasn't turned on the initial tests.

Is SEAWARRIOR's suggestion my final option?
    one final check to do,,, restart pc,,, reconnect pb,,, let pc reinstall drivers,,, that's helped me a few times...
    05-13-13 03:20 PM
    try this
    05-13-13 04:07 PM
    Question: Have you tried to connect on your "old" pc? Or another pc? I should fire up fine with Win 7 xxxx. On win 8 it can be an issue.

C
    05-14-13 08:35 AM
    Right, I have tried it on another family member's laptop, which is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 as far as I know, and it works fine. No, I have not tried it on my "old" computer, but with trying it on the laptop, I would've thought trying it again would be irrelevant as plugging it in with the same cable proves that the tablet works with other computers.

Also, I have tried uninstalling BDS and re-installing it again, and nothing has changed. I've checked for updates, and nothing either. So I don't know what it could be?
    05-20-13 02:03 PM
    Check your Anti Virus, make sure the "Pop-up blocker" is off, or better yet, turn off your antivirus for the time being to see if that makes a difference.

C

EDIT: Did you try a different USB Port on the same machine also?????

C
    Last edited by Carl Estes; 05-20-13 at 02:11 PM. Reason: addition question
    05-20-13 02:09 PM
    Download 'blackberry link' brilliant for file sharing. Better than DM.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    05-20-13 02:57 PM
    Did you ever just use the "Map Network Drive" option of Windows to connect to the PB? No cables needed.
    eg. from windows file explorer (Computer) find the map network drive tool and select a drive letter and then put
    \\192.168.x.x\media in the Folder input area. Check the playbook's network setting for it's actual IP on your wifi network.
    05-22-13 07:35 AM
    one final check to do,,, restart pc,,, reconnect pb,,, let pc reinstall drivers,,, that's helped me a few times...
    me too, for some odd reasons playbook drivers are not the most stable, they seem to get corrupt pretty easily
    Last edited by Barracuda7772; 05-22-13 at 08:27 AM.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    05-22-13 07:45 AM
    Right, I have tried it on another family member's laptop, which is running Windows 7 Home Premium x64 as far as I know, and it works fine. No, I have not tried it on my "old" computer, but with trying it on the laptop, I would've thought trying it again would be irrelevant as plugging it in with the same cable proves that the tablet works with other computers.

Also, I have tried uninstalling BDS and re-installing it again, and nothing has changed. I've checked for updates, and nothing either. So I don't know what it could be?
    Try lugging in the BB datacable into a different usb port. This will force the machine to reinstall drivers for that port address....c
    09-28-13 02:09 PM

Oh ... new PC !and X64!!!
    I missed that in OP, apologies !
    You should check the type of USB port you're using. On recent PC, front USB port are usually USB3. I had similar issues with my Z10 (on a X64/W8 machine) and all went back to normal the day I plugged it to one of the rear USB port, witch was USB2. USB3 port should be labeled, so that you will find one USB2 easily (shouldn't be labeled).

Let us know !
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 09-29-13 at 07:20 AM.
    09-28-13 05:55 PM