Since switching to a Mac (though will be switching back to Windows), there is one program that I love and find invaluable: Filemaker. It is a database design program, allowing for simple and complex databases to be created relatively intuitively. One great thing is that it also works on the iPad and databases can be synched together and designed on a laptop/computer.

There maybe better software out there, and this is not a sales pitch, but rather it leads to my question on if there is something similar for Blackberry.

What I am looking for is exactly described above. I want to create a complex database, that ** I can make visually pleasing** and that I can create and use on a laptop/desktop computer. Dbase is NOT what I want. It has no desktop companion and there is no visual design tools (when it comes to software/apps, looks are very important to me).

Is there a database app out there (or plug in) like the above mentioned Filemaker or Access that I can use on the PlayBook?

Thanks!

Edit: that is *native*. I know that I am picky, but I really hate Android apps. I dislike both how they function (though 2.1 helps) and their appearance.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 07-17-12 at 11:40 PM.
    07-17-12 11:37 PM
    There are not very many business or productivity apps that are available or offer the quality and refined experience as there are on iOS or Android. That's for sure.

If you're interested in having something developed to your specifications though, you can always send me me a message and I can quote out writing something like that (would give you exclusive rights to sell it in App World).
    BerryClever likes this.
    07-17-12 11:48 PM
    There are not very many business or productivity apps that are available or offer the quality and refined experience as there are on iOS or Android. That's for sure.

If you're interested in having something developed to your specifications though, you can always send me me a message and I can quote out writing something like that (would give you exclusive rights to sell it in App World).
    I have been checking AppWorld and although still lacking business and productivity apps (especially quality ones), they are starting to pick up. I hope with BB10 they will start getting flooded with all types of apps!

Thanks for the offer, but what I am looking for would cost too much for a custom development, and I am looking at both desktop and mobile solutions. I wish that Blackberry, being business class, would develop a database software like Microsoft (Access) and Apple (Filemaker). Right now though, I can understand them focusing on BB10.
    07-18-12 12:41 PM
    That's a tall order for any mobile device. Databases can be really burdensome on a CPU and mobiles don't have a whole lot of grunt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FileMaker on the iPad just a platform for viewing certain custom DB apps made with the x86 version of FileMaker?
    07-18-12 12:57 PM
    That's a tall order for any mobile device. Databases can be really burdensome on a CPU and mobiles don't have a whole lot of grunt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't FileMaker on the iPad just a platform for viewing certain custom DB apps made with the x86 version of FileMaker?
    Ok, maybe I didn't do my homework... I don't have an iPad so I am not sure if it is viewing or editable. I believe that there is some editablity (either I spelled it wrong or I just coined a new word) to the fields. However, to have a stagnate database to check wouldn't be too bad and even welcomed, but of course ideally it would allow for editing.

I know you cannot design/create the database on the iPad itself, there is just not enough power to do that, but creating the database would require the power rather than viewing and saving entries. Maybe on highly complex databases or with a whole lot of entries, it would be more difficult for the mobile device to handle and cause slow downs and freezing.

I will be honest, I am a designer and not a programer so people who know what they are talking about maybe laughing their butts off at what I wrote. All I know is what I want and that I cannot find it for the Playbook.
    07-18-12 03:40 PM
    creating a database doesn't have to be too resource intensive. Its always the flashy creation UI that devours memory. (Look at the size of M$ C++ IDE compared to others, MS office compared to open office.

The issue on a tablet is what you will be able to view, especially on a 7" screen
    BerryClever likes this.
    07-18-12 04:15 PM
    From the filemaker Go (iPad) review:

"You cannot create a database in FileMaker Go or modify its layouts, scripts, or data structure."

FileMaker Go 12 for iPad and iPhone Review | Macworld

Filemaker is more about building business database "apps" than it is about creating databases with complex relationships. You basically design a db app on Filemaker Pro and then host it on the web for clients to use on the iPad version of Filemaker Go.
    app_Developer and BerryClever like this.
    07-18-12 07:22 PM
    From the filemaker Go (iPad) review:

"You cannot create a database in FileMaker Go or modify its layouts, scripts, or data structure."

FileMaker Go 12 for iPad and iPhone Review | Macworld

Filemaker is more about building business database "apps" than it is about creating databases with complex relationships. You basically design a db app on Filemaker Pro and then host it on the web for clients to use on the iPad version of Filemaker Go.
    Filemaker (the main program, not FileMaker Go) is actually pretty good at building databases with complex relationships, from my own experiences. Thank you for the link though, I figured it couldn't allow for designing of the database (layouts, scripts, data structure), but will allow for data entries.

I think I am making this thread confusing though, so sorry about that! So Filemaker, the program, I love and use right now, but am willing to switch if there was something like it with a mobile solution that allows for it to be used on BlackBerry PlayBook like FileMaker Go allows for the iPad.

I have a feeling that there is not though
    07-18-12 10:50 PM
    And what would be the best database app for Android ?
    07-19-12 08:46 AM
    And what would be the best database app for Android ?
    I am not sure on that. I really don't like Android and so I haven't looked into it (to the point I don't want to put an Android app on my Playbook). I am more curious on the best database app that is desktop based with a mobile companion app.

I don't think there is one right now though

Edit: the reason I know about FileMaker Go is because I use FileMaker on my computer. Also, please don't take my thread as "BlackBerry doesn't have it and therefor it sucks" or that "FileMaker is the best database program". I am anxiously waiting for BB10 because I think it will be a game changer, and Filemaker is the best database program *for me*, and really I only know of two, FileMaker and Access.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 07-19-12 at 01:27 PM.
    07-19-12 01:20 PM
    Since switching to a Mac (though will be switching back to Windows), there is one program that I love and find invaluable: Filemaker.
    For a relational DB, I agree it is a great program. I use it on my PC
    APPLE OWNS FILEMAKER
    We will never see it on PB

I hope MS will have Access available for PB through Android.
    07-19-12 08:31 PM
    The is probably a Sql database in the base OS of the PlayBook. Somebody just needs to make an App to manipulate it.

Edit

Just did a little browsing around. There is a sqlite3 database in the OS.

file:///base/usr/lib/
    Last edited by robsteve; 07-19-12 at 10:15 PM.
    07-19-12 10:01 PM
    So no one has written any apps with a database at all?

I was hoping to make one eventually, didn't expect it would be all that hard.

Even a simple csv file or something?
    07-20-12 01:40 PM
    For a relational DB, I agree it is a great program. I use it on my PC
    APPLE OWNS FILEMAKER
    We will never see it on PB

I hope MS will have Access available for PB through Android.
    FileMaker is available on Mac, Windows and the web. So technically you could use it on PB right now. I'm assuming the web based interface is similar to FileMaker Go, with the DB being hosted in the cloud instead of beig copied to the local device.
    07-20-12 02:16 PM
    FileMaker Go, with the DB being hosted in the cloud instead of beig copied to the local device.
    I don't know how to utilize Filemaker Go. The data sheet
    http://www.filemaker.com/products/fi..._datasheet.pdf
    specifically indicates for use with iPad or iPhone with apps for these downloaded from the Apple app store.
    Since the product is owned by Apple it is unlikely it will be available for platforms like Android or Playbook. The original Filemaker was for PC's with Microsoft OS's. Now they are upgrading Apple products before PC. (If 'ya own it you can do anything you want with it.)
    07-20-12 05:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD