When I bought my playbook I knew nothing about GPS, so I did as I was told on forums : stand outside on my balcony on a winter night to wait for the playbook to connect, etc.

Then I got a Samsung 7.7 and really, there was no comparison in terms of hardware and software. But I assumed it was because of the high-end device and the richer system.

Well, recently I had the opportunity to buy a modest Nokia 700, run by the supposedly outdated Symbian OS. And I found it hard to believe at first, but the hardware GPS is way way way superior to the playbook gps. No need to stand outside, faster, better... The maps app is also complete, efficient and FREE.

I think on some aspects, the playbook still cannot compete with some low-middle range Nokia devices. And the supposedly futuristic QNX thing still has not reached the functionality of Symbian.

Guess what ? They just distributed an OS update called FP2, and it implements without difficulty features that are labeled revolutionary by RIM, such as sliding windows with a transparency effect. And you can browse FOLDERS natively (huh !!!). And their apps shop is cleaner.

Wow, I'm a bit short of comments here. Did anyone try a recent Bada 2 device, is the comparison stunning as well ?
    10-15-12 05:05 AM
    Remember that Nokia had a lot of phones pointed at the GPS funcionality, like the 5800, for example.

So, on the new phones, they didnt had to start fresh, like BB's and PB's case.

We should have more and free map apps.

I can't even count the apps available for Android that are decent map viewers, navigators and geocachers...

I hope that RIM fixes this too,because for what i see, theres only 2 ou 3 GPS apps on App World(phone) and they're paid...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    10-15-12 05:51 AM
    And you STILL understand nothing of GPS. If you did you would have factored in that the PlayBook doesn't have a radio module and therefore does not use A-GPS, which all other devices you listed have.

No kidding they have an easier time finding your location.

If the PlayBook is so bad as you make it seem, why do you hang to it? Just as an excuse go plague the forums? You clearly have better" devices.
    jrohland likes this.
    10-15-12 06:31 AM
    Most cell phones get their initial GPS location from cell towers (aGPS), which is a lot faster. Since the initial PlayBook doesn't have a cellular radio, it has to rely on satellites only.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-15-12 07:03 AM
    its not a fair comparison, phone uses A GPS which will always be faster than the non assisted one. My 3+ years old N79 still works faster than PB, but it will always be like this as, in A GPS the software rely on cell towers apart from the GPS sat.

Do note that I am not saying that PB gps is perfect, its not, its just not fair to compair it with a phone.
    10-15-12 07:22 AM
    Well i dont need to repeat the AGPS facts but i find the GPS in the Playbook quite good and fast...
    The only thing missing is a real GPS Software, i know there is Osmand and Osmand is great but it has it problems because of the Android runtime (display wont stay on, memory issues after a longer routing). I wouldnt mind paying a bit for a fulll and fast offline GPS Routing software :-/
    10-15-12 09:04 AM
    Yes, I am stupid and it is not a fair comparision. The nokia 700 is tiny and cheaper, and has much better GPS.

I just checked and the Samsung wave 3 under Bada OS had A-GPS too.

Will BB10 even support A-GPS ? No guarantee about that, as far as I know.
    10-15-12 11:47 AM
    Are you asking if BB10 will have A-GPS for the current playbook then no. if you are asking if BB10 will support agps in general then yes. It's what is inside (your device) that counts.
    diegonei likes this.
    10-15-12 12:06 PM
    Yes, I am stupid and it is not a fair comparision. The nokia 700 is tiny and cheaper, and has much better GPS.

I just checked and the Samsung wave 3 under Bada OS had A-GPS too.

Will BB10 even support A-GPS ? No guarantee about that, as far as I know.
    watch out with GPS on bada. it s one of the few major problems of this os. it could use aGPS but a bug let it read data only once in a lifetime. with the second and so on use it ignores agps and then you wait 2, 4, 10 sometimes 90 minutes to get satellite. workaround exists via servive menu. if i do that, i usually have gps within 14 to 20 seconds.

see the difference between agps and no agps.

Ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    10-15-12 02:51 PM
    "I think on some aspects, the playbook still cannot compete with some low-middle range Nokia devices. And the supposedly futuristic QNX thing still has not reached the functionality of Symbian."

I have two Nokia 5230 phones (known as Nuron when marketed by TMobile in the U.S.). Both of these phones have a Symbian OS.

After downloading Nokia maps for the U.S., Spain, etc., I took both of these phones to Spain recently.

Despite spending several hours outside in Madrid and Sevilla, not once did either phone pick up a GPS signal in these two cities. (The phones occasionally picked up GPS signals in Cordoba and in southern Spain near Algeciras).

I doubt that my Playbooks could perform worse in Spain than did the Nokias.

Furthermore, the voice instructions feature on both Nokias GPS software have stopped working.

I have the most recent firmware updates that Nokia and TMobile have released for these phones. Of course, these updates are at least two versions behind updates that Nokia released for 5230 phones in much of the rest of the world. (Nokia and TMobile have refused to release corollary updates for the 5230 Nuron for over a year and a half.

In my experience, Nokia and its GPS experience leave much to be desired.
    10-15-12 04:51 PM
    With respect to GPS, things are VERY hard for us amateurs to understand. That Nokia in Spain experience ... Did you have Mobile Internet open or off? Internet is vital to aGPS, cause this serves the almanach data a lot quicker than the satellite transmission does. Yes, aGPS/GPS+ is not only a rough cross-bearing from cell antennas. There's more assistents ...

Me in Far Foreign Land - Internet off - lock took 3-10 minutes cause no internet. My cousin from overseas in Italy ... iphone 4 ... no sat lock. Why? No Internet cause of Roaming fees. My crappy phone in Italy with the service menu: 20 seconds.

The Playbook does not have a chance when it comes to GPS. No cell radio transmission, no Internet outside Wifi. Old School GPS strategy.

Ray
    10-15-12 05:21 PM