You are in deep denial, my friend. But if that keeps you going, no problem. It's Rim that concerns me, not the fanboys.
    See, here you seem to think you know whats good for someone and then come off condecending while calling someone a fanboy. You should just be happy with your decision and move on. Do you try and convert any apple lovers since no tablet is perfect. Should all the Ipad 2 or Ipad 1 owners have a dicussion with you so they can be enlightened? Or how able kind fire owners, that tablet is severly lacking in specs.
    09-05-12 10:47 PM
    No. Some PB owners clearly just downplay the N7 without actually have tested it (you can read it in their posts). You did test the N7, so post is not applicable to you. I hate it when people just shoot a product down (fairly or unfairly) without actually testing it, just because they cannot see the possible flaws or shortcomings in their own product and are so into the "hype" of their own product.
    BTW, you will see in my signature I owe a PB.
    So this obviously raises the big question, did you ever act the same way when people were buying other tablets and have never used the PB. Maybe all the people buying kindle fires and nexus 7s should try out the PB first since it has a lot of strengths and differentiators. So shouldn't we all go on android and apple forums and make sure these people test out the PB first so they are fully informed? I've tried out all the other tabs and prefer PB by far, and there is many others like me. I should definitely let kindle fire users know how sluggish the OS and how inferior the hardware is on a product that goes for the same price.

If people think PB owners need to hear about other products it just makes sense to go the other way with it.
    Last edited by hurds; 09-05-12 at 11:03 PM.
    09-05-12 11:00 PM
    This is no comparison thread.. Just another OP unhappy with his choice.. The PlayBook gamed in the tablet market much later..

I ask you 1 question OP.. Why did you buy the PlayBook in the first place?
    esk369 and Toodeurep like this.
    09-05-12 11:57 PM
    This is the reason I sold my PlayBook, fed up of making do or trying workarounds, so got the Nexus 7. I nearly bought the 64gb PlayBook the other day for �129.99, just to use as a media hub next to he TV with HDMI, but to many bills, great price for good kit, shame BlackBerry let it down, could of been a hit if supported correctly.
    I just returned the Nexus 7 and will have the 64GB Playbook delivered on Thursday. We run Linux exclusively on our laptops, desktops, and servers at home. I've tried numerous times to make Android my primary operating system for my phone. But I keep going back to the Blackberry because of the feel and functionality.
    09-06-12 12:28 AM
    personally I have tested out the kindle, Ipad and the N7. Kindle is pretty slow and unresponsive and nothing really more to say about that. Ipad, of course is great.... big screen, responsive and good display... however with that kind of price tag anything less will be unacceptable....also it is beyond my principle to pay that price for a tablet =). N7, on the other hand, is very smooth. Even though PB is the only tablet I have ever owned, I would probably have to say that the N7 is a superior device. Though having said that, I am extremely happy wih my PB... also I only paid $100 CDN for I got it 2nd hand. To me, getting the PB for this price was a steal. I was also surprised when I first used my PB. Ironically I have never play with PB before since I have read all the negative comments about it. The only reason why I got it was because of the price. Therefore, I was recommend anyone to keep an open mind and test out different tablets. Don't just listen to people opinions.
    09-06-12 12:34 AM
    Price is a very important factor in this entire discussion. .Maybe before at launch the PlayBook was overpriced and unreasonable among all the other tablets.. But why stick to the past when the PlayBook now sells for as low at 130$..

The PlayBook is great value for money and you definitely get what you pay for.. This is more important to many consumers rather than having everything in the world.
    09-06-12 01:35 AM
    PB imho = simplicity and fluidity of use if a moron like me can use it anyone can.
    And did I mention flash
    09-06-12 12:50 PM
    The OP is right. The competition is getting better and RIM is still standing in cement.

How many updates has RIM put out that had to be canceled within 24 hours? How many times did OS2 get postponed? How many times has BB10 been postponed? How many Beta's does it take before we get a true OTA update? How many work arounds does it take to perform one playbook function?

RIM's in the position its in because they deserve to be there.
    09-06-12 01:17 PM
    After introduction of new Amazon Kindle Fire (I vote for 'HD' one) models PlayBook may rest in peace.
    09-06-12 01:58 PM
    The OP is right. The competition is getting better and RIM is still standing in cement.

How many updates has RIM put out that had to be canceled within 24 hours? How many times did OS2 get postponed? How many times has BB10 been postponed? How many Beta's does it take before we get a true OTA update? How many work arounds does it take to perform one playbook function?

RIM's in the position its in because they deserve to be there.
    No, he is not, although he does have a valid point.

All this would only really apply if we all knew for a fact that there was nothing on the horizon both in hardware and software. We know there is. It's BB10.

BB10 WILL run on both Wifi and 4G PlayBooks, so what RIM did was actually very smart. Even before phones really pick up steam, there will be lots of BB10 buzz.

The argument is only valid if we don't acknowledge this. 2.0 (and 2.1 really), compared to some devices just released feels dated. Sure it does. It's last year's UI. Last year's features.

Let's do this again when all devices are running new stuff.

Edit: Yeah, that new Nexus tablet looks great. Still not gonna sell my PB over the review though. But if you have no other tablet and already have android, go for it. It's like the PB of Android (it is even meant to be used tethered to a phone!).
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-06-12 at 02:06 PM.
    savestheday611 likes this.
    09-06-12 01:58 PM
    I agree with OP, my playbook just crashes and struggles with my busy business life. As a blackberry user, I try to BEBOLD and I DO things and need the FLOW in my life. With the toybook right now I cant have any of this. Nice to finally get email and contacts after one year though, thx RIM.
    (RIMPIRE WILL STRIKE BACK)
    09-06-12 03:31 PM
    You are in deep denial, my friend. But if that keeps you going, no problem. It's Rim that concerns me, not the fanboys.
    i am not sure why i am in denial. i've had playbook for over a year now. i bought samsung galaxy tab plus about 3 months ago and i returned it after a week and a half. the reason why i returned it was because i did not like android.
    09-06-12 05:03 PM
    i am not sure why i am in denial. i've had playbook for over a year now. i bought samsung galaxy tab plus about 3 months ago and i returned it after a week and a half. the reason why i returned it was because i did not like android.
    To be fair, judging android on a plastic samsung touchwiz gingerbread tablet in insanity. Do research before you buy.
    09-06-12 06:06 PM
    I use my Playbook more than all my other tablets combined. Why? Because I like it better.
    Have you thought it might be the form factor that is attracting you to pick up the PB over a 10" tablet? With a 7" Android and a 7" iPad coming the OP has a point, they had better get on their game.
    09-06-12 06:20 PM
    The Galaxy Tab Plus is a rough one for sure. The font rendering and lack of pixel density makes reading websites a joke. I did the same thing and took it back and walked back out of the store with an iPad2.

I bought the Nexus 7 (pre-ordered) and have since sold it. Much better to read on because of resolution but still the lack of tablet apps still keeps Android a distant second to iPad.
    09-06-12 06:24 PM
    My tablet is better than yours!

Uh uh! No its not!

Is too!

No its not!

Is too!

diegonei, rcm1301 and esk369 like this.
    09-06-12 06:26 PM
    Sadly this is better then anything on tv right now so keep it coming boys
    Still better.
    hpjrt likes this.
    09-06-12 06:35 PM
    My brother is a die-hard Apple fan. Recently on a road trip to the US, his son broke his ipad. Because the PB was on sale, he bought one. His first reaction : I didn't realize the PB was that good. Amongst other things, one of the things that surprised him was the quality of the speakers. It doesn't get mentioned very often in terms of the PB advantages, but my brothers first comment was that he didn't need to plug in his PB to speakers in the same way as his iPad. People's experiences will vary, but wanted to past this one along.
    hpjrt, Jeovex and batkinson001 like this.
    09-06-12 08:37 PM
    the PlayBook is an older product...seriously get over it, of course the newer tablets look better and drag you in, its called marketing and hype.

When BB10 lands the PB will have a great OS and will still have decent hardware....sooo let's wait till then to truly compare.
    Last edited by Jeovex; 09-06-12 at 10:21 PM.
    09-06-12 10:04 PM
    Its so unfortunate that the playbook will have to suffer scrutiny whenever there is another tablet launch. I get ur gripe OP, sometimes the playbook doesnt come off as the fastest or smoothest tab out there... But comparing ur everyday used tablet to relatively unused shelved products, thats not bombarded by apps and media content is pretty unfair. Especially since you only play with the units for probably less than 10minutes.

As someone mentioned, the playbook at launch while didnt have the best ecosystem and missing some core apps, it could hold its own against all the tablets of that generation even the mighty iPad 2. Interms of Hardware it hands down own every tablet of its time. And even now its fairly competitve on the hardware level.

Ever so often i see the PB .. A 2011 product gets tossed against the likes of 2012 tabs like Asus Transformer prime, iPad 3, Nexus 7 and soon to come the Kindle Fire HD. The PB has done its part. Lets pass the batton to the PB 4g (preferably with 2.1) which is already outscoring the rest on benchmark!
    09-07-12 09:43 AM
    All this would only really apply if we all knew for a fact that there was nothing on the horizon both in hardware and software. We know there is. It's BB10.
    Yea, and it is still like freakin' 4-6 months before it is released! Like that will save the day!
    Last edited by rcm1301; 09-07-12 at 11:28 AM.
    09-07-12 10:16 AM
    the PlayBook is an older product...seriously get over it, of course the newer tablets look better and drag you in, its called marketing and hype.

When BB10 lands the PB will have a great OS and will still have decent hardware....sooo let's wait till then to truly compare.
    BB10 remains a big if. If it improves the PB's functionality both in terms of current apps and their operational efficiency (esp. native email and Docs To Go), if it brings in some of the missing core apps (skype bare minimum), that would certainly help. But Rim also needs to keep PB updated in terms of hardware with a faster processor and more ram. By 1st Q 2013, those will be the minimum requirements, apparently even for an ereader, let alone any tablet with pretensions to offering a professional level of service, especially one with some baggage to overcome in the marketplace.

You pointed out the PB is 18 months old and so "of course the newer tablets look better and drag you in". Yes, but it's not marketing and hype. It's the reality of the marketplace. You either put something comparable in potential buyers' hands or you are not in the game. And that's where the PB stands now and the window is closing. You are betting a lot on BB10. Unfortunately, many buyers with less commitment to RIM are not willing to wait. Which is what my postings have all been about. In the long run, it doesn't matter. Maybe my next tablet will be a Toyota and not a Ford. But for those who would like to see RIM prosper, it does.
    Last edited by brianatbb; 09-07-12 at 11:20 AM.
    09-07-12 11:09 AM
    The PB has done its part. Lets pass the batton to the PB 4g (preferably with 2.1) which is already outscoring the rest on benchmark!
    I'm not looking for my old (eight months old) PB to compete with the newest competition. And maybe the PB 4g with BB10 will be able to hold its own. But how about a wifi version with cutting-edge hardware, which most tablet buyers seem to want. But the main issue is not (yet) hardware. It's watching (and owning) a pretty decent device languish because Rim has not supported it in a way that leverages its capabilities. Most owners saw that potential when they bought it and thought Rim did too. Apparently not.
    09-07-12 11:18 AM
    No, he is not, although he does have a valid point.

BB10 WILL run on both Wifi and 4G PlayBooks, so what RIM did was actually very smart. Even before phones really pick up steam, there will be lots of BB10 buzz.

The argument is only valid if we don't acknowledge this. 2.0 (and 2.1 really), compared to some devices just released feels dated. Sure it does. It's last year's UI. Last year's features.

Let's do this again when all devices are running new stuff.

Edit: Yeah, that new Nexus tablet looks great. Still not gonna sell my PB over the review though. But if you have no other tablet and already have android, go for it. It's like the PB of Android (it is even meant to be used tethered to a phone!).
    I don't think BB10 is going to be the saviour everyone seems to think it's going to be. RIM is not that adept. BB10 is going to have to be overwhelmingly amazing just to get exposure, and that exposure won't be enough since BlackBerry isn't even on most people's radar.

Like I said before, I'll wait for BB10. It might even turn out to be a fairly decent os. Is it going to propel RIM to the top of the industry? I seriously doubt it. It's going to take a lot of convincing to get people to switch to a has-been like blackberry.
    09-07-12 03:33 PM
    Just because you can "load" multiple apps at the same time does not mean it is multitasking.... This is one of the major misconceptions people have...
    Preach on. There is nothing on the market that multitasks like the Playbook. I will grant people the argument about the ecosystem but I havent seen a better performing tablet.
    09-07-12 09:21 PM
79 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD