I was at Best Buy, my least favorite electronics shop but that's irrelevant, and had a chance to test several competing tablets, the Acer Iconia, an Asus and the Nexus 7.

What a shock! There was no comparison with my PB 64gig. These units were blazingly fast, smooth as butter, and when it come to multitasking, I loaded them up with 8-10 apps and they didn't blink. Maps loaded in seconds, including my location in the store (at least 50 metres from the nearest exit). Browser, gmail, videos, Kindle and more -- they all loaded almost instantly. Kindle, in particular, was no comparison with the dog it is on PB. These machines just felt like my laptop, not what I thought, from my experience with my PB, that a tablet must be. Or rather, it felt like comparing my five-year-old dual-core, two gig ram laptop to my year-old quad-core six gig laptop (both Acers).

I did not do an in-depth look at all of their features, but nevertheless came away with the distinct impression that any potential shopper testing these units, which were all priced competitively, to the PB would not give the PB a second look. And while the PB's swipe feature is nice, I quickly learned and adapted to how these android devices operated and felt there was nothing awkward about them. Different but just as workable.

I've had my beefs about my PB (as we all have had), though felt the latest update had helped with native email and the browser. But this comparison was an eye-opener for me. My PB simply felt like old technology when I had one of those devices in my hands.

I'd don't know what BB10 will or can do to turn the PB into something comparable, but I suspect only PB LTE, with its faster processor, can begin to compete. Even then, without a better app ecosystem and the ability to run more than three or four apps at a time, I don't see a smooth road ahead.

I've read the posts praising the PB and I have no issue with satisfied owners. I just think we should be aware of what the PB faces out there, and simply running down the list of specs on various tablets is not the whole story.
    FF22, STRATEGIZER, rcm1301 and 2 others like this.
    09-04-12 03:48 PM
    This post is pointless

Samsung copied apple, its not hard to make a tablet, toss in tons of ram a screen and tons of cpu power.
    Acer is junk quality
    Ipad is nice, I own one
    Playbook is nice aswell for what I need.

people get what they need, if you are going to be buying products just because they run optimally every 6 months then thats your issue. My ipad doesn't do one thing better than my playbook, and it is terrible in comparison to my macbook pro. Even my macbook air kicks the ipads . Tablets offer portability, not cpu processing in comparison to laptops.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-04-12 04:05 PM
    Acer is junk, you say, but my acer laptop is still running sweet as it approaches its fifth birthday. I haver had a desktop computer that made it past four without major upgrades.

I just love people who love to draw conclusions from generalizations. Glad you like your PB and think an ipad (which I have never tried) is no better. Suit yourself. All I'm saying is Rim faces tough competition in the tablet market and needs to step up its game, hardly a revelation to most PB owners.
    cdelcampo216 and SugarMouth like this.
    09-04-12 04:14 PM
    Just because you can "load" multiple apps at the same time does not mean it is multitasking.... This is one of the major misconceptions people have... My Ipad does not truely multitask but does a good job of having multiple programs loaded at the same time... On Android if all the apps actually ran and suckied up CPU time you Android would simply freeze up.... Where multitasking becopmes impotant is with what RIM is doing with O0S10.... If two apps are loaded but not running till you tap them... then you cannot share data or work in conjunction with two or more apps.... This is where RIM is trying to go and if sucessful will change how Moble OS works.... You can only fake things so long....

Some of it is pcychology.... On my Ipad when I tap on an app it launches a screen that makes me think the program is up and going after all it is really doing is loading..... On the PB for example if you see the Blackerry screen you know a app is loading... If like Fantasy Island you see the load screen you think the app is loaded..... Seems to be faster....

As for which Tablet works best... simply personal preference... You can tell by the OP that there is a bit of an axe to grind with the Playbook.... Bottom line... If it does what you want ... buy it... then you do not have to knock other products.....
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    09-04-12 04:32 PM
    This is the reason I sold my PlayBook, fed up of making do or trying workarounds, so got the Nexus 7. I nearly bought the 64gb PlayBook the other day for �129.99, just to use as a media hub next to he TV with HDMI, but to many bills, great price for good kit, shame BlackBerry let it down, could of been a hit if supported correctly.
    STRATEGIZER likes this.
    09-04-12 04:40 PM
    Another thread about how the PB sucks? Really? The OP has nothing better to do?

OP if you don't like your PB sell it. Get the toy you think you want. I am very happy with my PB and if you think that I'm stupid for liking it, I don't care. Neither do I care that you don't like your PB anymore.
    09-04-12 04:52 PM
    Another thread about how the PB sucks? Really? The OP has nothing better to do?

OP if you don't like your PB sell it. Get the toy you think you want. I am very happy with my PB and if you think that I'm stupid for liking it, I don't care. Neither do I care that you don't like your PB anymore.
    Here... Here....
    09-04-12 04:53 PM
    It's an opinion.

No need to struggle ^^

I love my PB but if i had to buy a second device it would an android.

But, since i only use my PB to watch videos and comics and to play a little, so i'm good, but would be better if i had more games. But then again, Uni is starting and i'm gonna have to discover a second face of my beloved tablet. Let's see...

But my frustrations are mostly because of the apps.

Lets wait for BB10

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    09-04-12 05:12 PM
    I have an Ipad 3. I have an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 (the highest rated 10.1" Android tablet on the market). Yet, as I have posted a dozen times when I see threads like this, I use my Playbook more than all my other tablets combined. Why? Because I like it better.

In addition, I have an Acer Aspire AS5738PG-6306...a REVOLUTIONARY laptop from 2009 that has a touchscreen. It is the greatest laptop I have ever owned, and whenever I find myself using someone elses laptop, just like Pavlov's Dog, I find myself touching, swiping, and pinching the screen (to no avail...just like I often find myself swiping my Ipad and Transformer to no avail).
    Last edited by nextcity; 09-04-12 at 05:40 PM.
    hpjrt and kdeckels like this.
    09-04-12 05:25 PM
    I have an Ipad 3. I have an Asus Transformer Pad Infinity TF700 (the highest rated 10.1" Android tablet on the market). Yet, as I have posted a dozen times when I see threads like this, I use my Playbook more than all my other tablets combined. Why? Because I like it better.
    I'm exactly the opposite! I have an iPad 3 and Playbook. I choose to use the iPad almost exclusively because I like it better.

Clearly one of us must be wrong, because it is against the rules to have differing opinions and preferences.
    kdeckels, Tre Lawrence and phylez like this.
    09-04-12 05:31 PM
    Just because you can "load" multiple apps at the same time does not mean it is multitasking.... This is one of the major misconceptions people have... My Ipad does not truely multitask but does a good job of having multiple programs loaded at the same time... On Android if all the apps actually ran and suckied up CPU time you Android would simply freeze up.... Where multitasking becopmes impotant is with what RIM is doing with O0S10.... If two apps are loaded but not running till you tap them... then you cannot share data or work in conjunction with two or more apps.... This is where RIM is trying to go and if sucessful will change how Moble OS works.... You can only fake things so long....

Some of it is pcychology.... On my Ipad when I tap on an app it launches a screen that makes me think the program is up and going after all it is really doing is loading..... On the PB for example if you see the Blackerry screen you know a app is loading... If like Fantasy Island you see the load screen you think the app is loaded..... Seems to be faster....

As for which Tablet works best... simply personal preference... You can tell by the OP that there is a bit of an axe to grind with the Playbook.... Bottom line... If it does what you want ... buy it... then you do not have to knock other products.....
    I will grant what you say about multitasking but for most users, especially in the consumer market, it's a distinction without a difference. And yes, I have a bit of a beef with the PB, just like many, many posters here. The point of my posting is that, despite all that I know about the PB, playing with the competition was a real eye-opener. This might mean squat to satisfied PB owners, and certainly to the fanboys who deny there is any advantage to a fast, butter-smooth operating system with all the apps, but it should to RIM, which needs to put more PBs in customer hands. I'd like to see RIM prosper, but it cannot go head to head with what it currently has on offer against what potential buyers see when they go looking. Before today I didn't really understand the wall it faces. Now I do, and all my critics cannot change that. If you really like your PBs and want to see RIM survive, you would acknowledge that reality rather than shoot the messenger.
    09-04-12 05:35 PM
    I'm exactly the opposite! I have an iPad 3 and Playbook. I choose to use the iPad almost exclusively because I like it better.

Clearly one of us must be wrong, because it is against the rules to have differing opinions and preferences.
    I prefer Ale over Lager, and microbrews over macrobrews. How about you?
    ThaSwapMeetPimp and Toodeurep like this.
    09-04-12 05:48 PM
    DARK! Thick, rich and chocolatey.
    Hunahpu Mayan Chocolate Stout from Cigar City Brewery is one of my favorites.
    09-04-12 06:04 PM
    Unless you own an LTE model, the playbook is well over a year old! Not too shabby when the only tablets that are compared against it for performance are in the last few months. Ipad 2 aside, no tablets from that era even compete.
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-04-12 06:08 PM
    Tablets: Do your homework! The tablet/mobile space is going to be very interesting for the next 24 to 36 months while enormous computer power coalesces into small hand held devices. Hundreds and thousands of options to choose from; pick what works for you. Can you imagine what the world would be like the only vehicle you could buy was a mini van? Need a barely legal street hot rod? Buy one. Need a Hummer? Buy one. The mobile space has room for lots of players.
    09-04-12 06:33 PM
    Whoa now. You trying to pick a fight?
    09-04-12 06:45 PM
    True, but it's what Rim has to offer in wifi. That's the reality we are talking to.
    09-04-12 06:47 PM
    DARK! Thick, rich and chocolatey.
    09-04-12 06:50 PM
    I feel like there is this common misperception that people who use RIM products somehow have only used RIM products. Ive tried all the other tablets and still prefer the playbook. After using the PB UI its hard to use anything else. I wonder if these types of posts occur on apple forums since I'd argue their users are more locked into one device and its 'ecosystem'. Thanks OP but I think you come off as condecending if you think people can't look around for themselves to see whats best for them.
    kdeckels likes this.
    09-04-12 07:11 PM
    Sadly this is better then anything on tv right now so keep it coming boys
    jon4400 likes this.
    09-04-12 07:16 PM
    I have the newest iPad, an Android tablet running Ice Cream Sandwich, and a 64GB PlayBook. I use the iPad most often, the PlayBook fairly often (I like the 7" form factor and the HDMI out for video, and the Android tablet rarely Iit has more apps than the PlayBook but not nearly as many as the iPad and I prefer the PlayBook for audio/video/camera.
    09-04-12 08:22 PM
    The OP mentioned best buy. I wonder how many of you do what I do every time I go to BB.

I go to the PB display. Plug the units in and bring up the main screen and folders.
    09-04-12 08:53 PM
    to the OP, keep in mind that Kindle is not a native BB app. when launching kindle on the PB, the android player launches first, befor launching the kindle app. when comparing side by side, kindle will indeed load faster on a android, or for that matter, probably an ipad too. i just got an archos android tablet...as with anything, there are certain things i like about both the pb and android. the word "better" is relative to each persons needs and tastes.
    09-04-12 09:35 PM
    The OP mentioned best buy. I wonder how many of you do what I do every time I go to BB.

I go to the PB display. Plug the units in and bring up the main screen and folders.
    Yeah i download some free games and stuff. Then someone deletes everything, probably the apple rep
    09-04-12 09:39 PM
    I feel like there is this common misperception that people who use RIM products somehow have only used RIM products. Ive tried all the other tablets and still prefer the playbook. After using the PB UI its hard to use anything else. I wonder if these types of posts occur on apple forums since I'd argue their users are more locked into one device and its 'ecosystem'. Thanks OP but I think you come off as condecending if you think people can't look around for themselves to see whats best for them.
    I never intimated what's good for anyone but Rim.
    09-05-12 12:00 AM
79 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD