RIM should target its competition against Ipod/touch etc. It has a lot more similarity with a ipod or ereaders than the large a** Ipad or android tablet. I think the playbook were set to very high standards since people were comparing it to tablets like ipad and android etc, when really they should be comparing it to ipod or e-readers.

Even if you look at the price, except for the early adopters who got hosed by RIMs promises and the fanbois who see no wrong, playbook really is not a $500-$800 product and really a $200- $300 product which is more in line with the ipod and the screen real size, portability etc as well.

The playbook lacks some basic stuff and comparing the playbook with an ipad or an android or any tablet just seems silly. RIM does not have any problem with lying or changing the story lines, therefore if they revamps the marketing story line that the blackberry playbook being professional or whatever it meant to saying it was really meant to be a e-reader/ipod thingy then the playbook might still have a chance.
    10-28-11 09:59 AM
    I do think RIM should do nothing but compare to former products.
    They should raise their difference, convince their users ... and wait for the followers.
    But that's my view ...
    10-28-11 10:01 AM
    RIM should target its competition against Ipod/touch etc. It has a lot more similarity with a ipod or ereaders than the large a** Ipad or android tablet. I think the playbook were set to very high standards since people were comparing it to tablets like ipad and android etc, when really they should be comparing it to ipod or e-readers.

Even if you look at the price, except for the early adopters who got hosed by RIMs promises and the fanbois who see no wrong, playbook really is not a $500-$800 product and really a $200- $300 product which is more in line with the ipod and the screen real size, portability etc as well.

The playbook lacks some basic stuff and comparing the playbook with an ipad or an android or any tablet just seems silly. RIM does not have any problem with lying or changing the story lines, therefore if they revamps the marketing story line that the blackberry playbook being professional or whatever it meant to saying it was really meant to be a e-reader/ipod thingy then the playbook might still have a chance.
    I think everyone will agree with you about the price. But that goes for all tablets. They are all over priced. But the 399.00 Android tablets are a good deal.

Anyway, that's an interesting idea. I think the last thing to compete with the iPod was the Zune, and it's dead now. But it might get people thinking a different way about the PB.
    10-28-11 10:04 AM
    I do think RIM should do nothing but compare to former products.
    They should raise their difference, convince their users ... and wait for the followers.
    But that's my view ...
    Will that work?
    10-28-11 11:47 AM

Aside from size, what's the difference between an islouch and an islab? Nothing.
    10-28-11 11:56 AM
    They don't need to compare themselves to anything. They just need to PROMOTE what they are offering
    Megacharge and Flexin like this.
    10-28-11 12:08 PM
    I think RIM gets in trouble when trying to compare and catch up to the competition. What they really need to do is come out with a breakthrough product, blaze a new trail, and get out in front. This business of reacting and playing catchup seems to have them perpetually in the back seat.
    john dunbar likes this.
    10-28-11 12:18 PM
    RIM does have a ground breaking device in the PB. The space, for better or worse however, has been defined by a crippled device. Once you toss the limited paradigm that the leading competitor proffers, the PB shines like nothing else on the market. Use the PB as a PB and not something else and one will see just how powerful this new device is.
    10-28-11 12:25 PM
    Will that work?
    If I could prove it, I'll apply for a Marketing Head Officer job @ RIM ! :-)
    But, if I refer to history, when Ipad was launched, returns were "what will people do with this device ? It's half way between Lap and Desks tops, poor storage, proprietary, etc ...", but we know the tremendous success it has/have (no bashing here, stay cool).
    I'd market PB to be half way between tablet ( equals Ipad in commune sense) and Smartphones ... a (secured) TabPhone ?

my 0.000000002 cent
    10-28-11 12:33 PM

I believe the only thing that makes PB closer to an Ipod/touch is the size...... when compared to iPad/android bigger sized ones.
    Anything else is a figment of ones imagination, or pure ignorance and/or bias !!
    Can an iPod/touch do the sexy multifunction and bridge networking like the PB.... I think not, guess that puts the nail on this topic !!
    Case closed !!
    kbz1960, AggreX and bcjames736 like this.
    10-28-11 12:36 PM
    For what it is worth,I purchased my 32gb Playbook early.
    The playbook does many things,but not the same as Ipod.
    When the playbook is finished you will not be able to compare it to anything else,because it will be unique.
    Isold my Ipod because I like the playbook more.
    jtwarrin5 likes this.
    10-28-11 02:01 PM
    RIM does have a ground breaking device in the PB. The space, for better or worse however, has been defined by a crippled device. Once you toss the limited paradigm that the leading competitor proffers, the PB shines like nothing else on the market. Use the PB as a PB and not something else and one will see just how powerful this new device is.
    In your haste to defend the PlayBook, you're completely missing my point. You're pre-occupied with PlayBook versus iPad, but that's a side topic.

The PlayBook is still a tablet, not a groundbreaking new category of device. With the PlayBook, RIM is coming in after another company established a beachhead and captured the market. So they are automatically catching up (and since it's RIM, that's an understatement).

Groundbreaking would be a whole new class of device that has no competition and gives RIM an automatic head start. You wouldn't have to defend it or make arguments. RIM wouldn't be outnumbered in sales by 50:1. We wouldn't be having these discussions.

The PlayBook could be the best tablet ever, but it's an underdog in the iPad-competitor market, which is not turning out to be very lucrative for anyone (all of the competitors in that market are beating themselves up and tripping over each other for very little benefit -- I don't see it lasting very long). I think RIM needs to break out and define a new category of device rather than chase after the iPad as a heavily outnumbered competitor amongst a sea of heavily outnumbered competitors.
    10-28-11 02:55 PM
    QNX OS is the breakthrough.
    10-28-11 02:59 PM
    QNX OS is the breakthrough.
    QNX is decades old. Besides, even in it's latest incarnation, it hasn't gained the traction to qualify as breakthrough. Maybe someday when it amounts to measurable sales numbers on a device, but certainly not now. Like I said before, it's getting lost in the sea of iPad competitors (they all have special-sauce operating systems too).
    10-28-11 05:15 PM
    They are going to "leapfrog" remember?
    10-28-11 05:20 PM
    I think they just need to do no more advertising other then discounts until they can deliver what people want even though some us are satisfied with it now. Their biggest mistake was advertising it to begin with and releasing it when they did except for their user base.

It will improve and it will catch up and please compare it to an ipod?
    10-28-11 05:30 PM
    The iPod and iTouch are great innovative electronic devices for video/music but not so great for web surfing. Articles and web searches were always too small and needed enlargement or adjustments. IMO the PB is a larger more powerful tablet that makes for a difficult comparison.
    10-28-11 05:35 PM
    Can an ipod/ereader bridge to a 3G phone? For browsing anywhere you can use your phone?
    comparison done, playbook wins.

Are you kidding me? Obvious troll thread. Yet another disguised sarcasm thread from the OP.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-28-11 at 06:47 PM.
    10-28-11 06:31 PM
    In your haste to defend the PlayBook, you're completely missing my point. You're pre-occupied with PlayBook versus iPad, but that's a side topic.

The PlayBook is still a tablet, not a groundbreaking new category of device. With the PlayBook, RIM is coming in after another company established a beachhead and captured the market. So they are automatically catching up (and since it's RIM, that's an understatement).

Groundbreaking would be a whole new class of device that has no competition and gives RIM an automatic head start. You wouldn't have to defend it or make arguments. RIM wouldn't be outnumbered in sales by 50:1. We wouldn't be having these discussions.

The PlayBook could be the best tablet ever, but it's an underdog in the iPad-competitor market, which is not turning out to be very lucrative for anyone (all of the competitors in that market are beating themselves up and tripping over each other for very little benefit -- I don't see it lasting very long). I think RIM needs to break out and define a new category of device rather than chase after the iPad as a heavily outnumbered competitor amongst a sea of heavily outnumbered competitors.
    Bridge - groundbreaking
    touch sensitive bezel = groundbreaking
    native hdmi = ground breaking
    audio quality - stereo mics - dual front facing speakers = groundbreaking
    small form factor, crisp bright high contrast display = groundbreaking
    Multitasking UI with easy app switching with a home button = groundbreaking
    QNX on a tablet = groundbreaking...

what did I leave out?
    10-28-11 06:51 PM
    You can't compare it to an ipodtouch. The touch is far superior to the PB. It has a superior camera, zillions of apps at your disposal, email that actually works, ios5 so far ahead, iTunes with millions of movies and music, should I go on?
    10-28-11 08:32 PM
    You can't compare it to an ipodtouch. The touch is far superior to the PB. It has a superior camera, zillions of apps at your disposal, email that actually works, ios5 so far ahead, iTunes with millions of movies and music, should I go on?
    Yes, you should go on to an Apple forum...
    john dunbar likes this.
    10-28-11 08:37 PM
    Waaaaa, waaaaaa. The op brought up the itouch, try to follow along.
    10-28-11 08:45 PM
    You can't compare it to an ipodtouch. It has a superior camera
    did you just compare a <1 megapixel camera with 3 and 5 megapixels respectively? :P
    10-28-11 08:48 PM
    Bridge - groundbreaking
    touch sensitive bezel = groundbreaking
    native hdmi = ground breaking
    audio quality - stereo mics - dual front facing speakers = groundbreaking
    small form factor, crisp bright high contrast display = groundbreaking
    Multitasking UI with easy app switching with a home button = groundbreaking
    QNX on a tablet = groundbreaking...

what did I leave out?
    Nothing there is groundbreaking. We can point to iOS, webOS, or Android devices and OSes having these features (and having them prior to the PlayBook). Bridge is useful to such a small part of the tablet-buying population that it may as well be nonexistent. And the other items on your list are off the shelf parts and components. Honestly, you think the PlayBook is groundbreaking because it has mics and speakers? May as well call it amazing because it contains a battery!

Groundbreaking means a totally new product category that immediately puts the company out in front when it captures the market because there is no competition. That does not fit the PlayBook at all. It's another of many tablets competing with the iPad and it has hardly made a dent in sales.

My original point was that RIM shouldn't be trying to catch up to the iPad, and we shouldn't be comparing it to the iPod Touch. RIM needs to be blazing their own path with a truly groundbreaking new product. You guys can't stop falling all over yourselves, under this delusion that the PlayBook is that product. It's not -- and even if you want to pretend and tilt at windmills all day long, the market has resoundingly voted otherwise.
    10-28-11 09:36 PM
    Nothing there is groundbreaking. We can point to iOS, webOS, or Android devices and OSes having these features (and having them prior to the PlayBook).
    You mean other than the fact that they don't have them? you people are delusional.
    10-28-11 10:45 PM
76 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD