i i know if when you come across 2 markets : blackberry & (android / apple ) you are crossing between 2 grounds , 2 very very different grounds . blackberrys were made for people who used blackberrys , not usually for the general domain of users because of the options embedded in the devices.

when i use my playbook , at first i thought probably the same . just another tablet . even without native email or "special ui/hud" set up like android , or simplistic like apple . the playbook still would be the device i love and wouldn't ever give up on . the actual multi-tasking and knowing what you opened is right in front of you , not via button press (even if it is touch screen) having gestures make use of the outside panel of the playbook make it very integrated w/ its environment around it .

the screen on the other hand cant even be compare when you are 149pxl density of a xoom while with its higher pxl density than a ipad2 , the xoom has a worse off display than ipad2 ! , to a 170pxl density on the playbook w/ one of the most beautiful and loveliest screens to look at . and i don't care if you are a grandpa w/ bad eyes , and need a 10" screen to a 7" , all i know is my playbook can fit anywhere i go , and doesnt have to stay home or in a duffel bag because its the size of a piece of letter head paper .

you may hate all you want w/ your android , but please back up your comments and keep your evo and xoom on a down-low , its kind of annoying to hear a post from someone that has never experienced a full blackberry experience , and go pro-android on a blackberry comparison w/ apple products. *** at least i know my devices didn't almost on the lower end of the android scale , and samsung is by far a better choice for android ! i used to have a galaxy and a droid so i know what bad phones are .
    10-30-11 04:45 PM
    I bought my wife a Playbook at $200 for the holiday to replace her Itouch, which also cost $200. I�ve fooled around with the Playbook enough to form some impressions. I should first mention that I�ve been a software developer and interface designer for several tech companies, so I�ve spent a lot of time evaluating tech devices. Also, I've never played much with other tablets, so I can't compare it to them.

1. The hardware is great. The pictures are clear, and the sound excellent. The camera works well and you don�t need a mic. However, the little on/off button is horrible. What were they thinking?

2. The user interface design is really bad. After 25 years of research and development, you think that any tech company these days would understand basic concepts like feedback, visibility, etc. RIM obviously doesn�t. Simple example: you take a screen shot by press the up/down volume buttons. Nothing happens. You�ve no idea whether the picture was taken. I have go check the pictures to see if it is there. On the Itouch you get a nice audible shutter �click.� Worse, there is no visibility. Much of the time, I spend staring at the screen trying to figure out what to do next because all the controls are invisible. The relative slow response adds to the confusions, as does the relative low screen touch sensitivity. (The Itouch has much better touch response.) I�m never quite sure whether the thing has registered my gesture or if it is just being slow.The difference between the �go home� gesture, swiping upward from the frame, and moving up a page, swiping upward from on the screen, is just too small. Such similar gestures are bound to be confused a lot. They need a button or two. It just makes everything a lot easier. That one, *visible* Itouch button really helps usability. On the other hand, the little led light on Playbook is a big improvement over the Itouch, which has no feedback like that. I guess it was just too small to allow for one.

3. Playbook obviously loses on portability, since it is heavier and bigger. For my wife, it's a minor problem since she will use it primarily at home.

3. The lack of apps isn�t a big problem. 99.9999% of the apps that could get for my Itouch are pure junk � kiddy games, useless cutesy nothings, unneeded utilities, marketing BS from various retailers. For most of the major things that my wife wants, there is a Playbook app now. Sure, it would be nice to have a wider selection of radio apps, notes programs, etc, but it isn�t critical. You don�t need 50 different radio apps. Beside, Android is on the way. Also Playbook have Acrobat is huge plus.

For the $200, it�s a no-brainer- the Playbook is far better based on the hardware, larger screen, better sound, built in mic, nice camera. Except for the feedback light, everything else favors the Itouch. The software and interface just operate much more smoothly.

Well, everything except one � the Playbook gets you way from Apple and their must-have-30%-markup-dictatorial-must-control-everything attitude.
    12-27-11 07:51 AM
    When I buy a tablet - I'm not looking at what is popular or marketable, or what has sold the most - I'm looking for what is best for me. So your point is?

I should ignore what is best and go with what everybody else buys??
    I'm sure that all those people who bought 8-track cassette players and beta video players used exactly the same rationale.
    12-27-11 08:01 AM
    I bought my wife a Playbook at $200 for the holiday to replace her Itouch, which also cost $200. I�ve fooled around with the Playbook enough to form some impressions. I should first mention that I�ve been a software developer and interface designer for several tech companies, so I�ve spent a lot of time evaluating tech devices. Also, I've never played much with other tablets, so I can't compare it to them.

1. The hardware is great. The pictures are clear, and the sound excellent. The camera works well and you don�t need a mic. However, the little on/off button is horrible. What were they thinking?

2. The user interface design is really bad. After 25 years of research and development, you think that any tech company these days would understand basic concepts like feedback, visibility, etc. RIM obviously doesn�t. Simple example: you take a screen shot by press the up/down volume buttons. Nothing happens. You�ve no idea whether the picture was taken. I have go check the pictures to see if it is there. On the Itouch you get a nice audible shutter �click.� Worse, there is no visibility. Much of the time, I spend staring at the screen trying to figure out what to do next because all the controls are invisible. The relative slow response adds to the confusions, as does the relative low screen touch sensitivity. (The Itouch has much better touch response.) I�m never quite sure whether the thing has registered my gesture or if it is just being slow.The difference between the �go home� gesture, swiping upward from the frame, and moving up a page, swiping upward from on the screen, is just too small. Such similar gestures are bound to be confused a lot. They need a button or two. It just makes everything a lot easier. That one, *visible* Itouch button really helps usability. On the other hand, the little led light on Playbook is a big improvement over the Itouch, which has no feedback like that. I guess it was just too small to allow for one.

3. Playbook obviously loses on portability, since it is heavier and bigger. For my wife, it's a minor problem since she will use it primarily at home.

3. The lack of apps isn�t a big problem. 99.9999% of the apps that could get for my Itouch are pure junk � kiddy games, useless cutesy nothings, unneeded utilities, marketing BS from various retailers. For most of the major things that my wife wants, there is a Playbook app now. Sure, it would be nice to have a wider selection of radio apps, notes programs, etc, but it isn�t critical. You don�t need 50 different radio apps. Beside, Android is on the way. Also Playbook have Acrobat is huge plus.

For the $200, it�s a no-brainer- the Playbook is far better based on the hardware, larger screen, better sound, built in mic, nice camera. Except for the feedback light, everything else favors the Itouch. The software and interface just operate much more smoothly.

Well, everything except one � the Playbook gets you way from Apple and their must-have-30%-markup-dictatorial-must-control-everything attitude.
    As was discussed many times, PB is not priced to sell at $200. If RIM can manage to do that, it would be awesome for consumers.

The light will also do blue (probably green too), but I've not seen use for it other than during power up. Does any PB app make use of the light?

Oh, RIM takes 30% mark up on all apps sold through App World, and so does Google.

Everyone wants more control over everything...
    12-27-11 08:12 AM
    Barry,
    Turn your volume up to hear the shutter sound when taking a screen shot. I don't experience any lag with the UI.
    12-27-11 08:21 AM
    Simple example: you take a screen shot by press the up/down volume buttons. Nothing happens. You�ve no idea whether the picture was taken. I have go check the pictures to see if it is there. On the Itouch you get a nice audible shutter �click.�.
    I hear a "shutter click" when taking a screen shot on my PB.
    Check your volume setting under Sounds>Notification settings.
    12-27-11 08:23 AM

I have to disagree with you on the UI. Other than the file and folder thing the UI and the way the PB works is the reason I wanted the PB over anything apple or android. I simply love the way it works.
    12-27-11 08:48 AM
    RIM should target its competition against Ipod/touch etc. It has a lot more similarity with a ipod or ereaders than the large a** Ipad or android tablet. I think the playbook were set to very high standards since people were comparing it to tablets like ipad and android etc, when really they should be comparing it to ipod or e-readers.

Even if you look at the price, except for the early adopters who got hosed by RIMs promises and the fanbois who see no wrong, playbook really is not a $500-$800 product and really a $200- $300 product which is more in line with the ipod and the screen real size, portability etc as well.

The playbook lacks some basic stuff and comparing the playbook with an ipad or an android or any tablet just seems silly. RIM does not have any problem with lying or changing the story lines, therefore if they revamps the marketing story line that the blackberry playbook being professional or whatever it meant to saying it was really meant to be a e-reader/ipod thingy then the playbook might still have a chance.
    i dont see how any comparison can be made between the ipad and the playbook. pb let's you use the internet, ipad let's you use the part of the internet that apple people want you to use. pb is a browsing tool, ipad is some weird version of the nintendo ds. before i got my pb i was using someone else's with one hand, an ipad in the other.. trying to show someone how annoyed i was with the pb for not being able to multitask youtube in a background tab with the default browser.. forgetting of course that i couldn't show them what i wanted to do with the ipad because it can't do anything useful (i also threw the ipad down in disgust at how bad the keyboard is compared to the pb)

i've hated apple since forever and still consider ipod touch to be the only product they ever made that was worth using (not worth owning, or buying, but using)... i've hated blackberry since forever.. because.. well.. blackberry phones are garbage... bbm is the only selling point, other than that it's an ugly phone with a badly built keyboard. so.. between two companies who i consider completely incompetent and unable to produce good products.. it's pretty amazing what the playbook can do.

it can use flash. the iToy can't.
    it can multitask. the iToy can't.

those two elements alone separate the two devices into completely different segments. most iToy users download a ton of apps.. my only concern for my playbook is finding out how i can delete them all. I don't need any apps, i have a browser. more than that, i have a computer. If i had an iToy.. i wouldn't be able to do any of the things that i expect a computer to be able to do.
    12-28-11 01:04 PM
    Well I have a white 4G iPod Touch and I really like it.

I'm getting a Playbook because they are at crazily reduced prices now and seem pretty good. I probably would rather have an iPad, though, but not at their prices.

I have an Android phone which I barely use - except for calls and texts - since I got the iPod. The Touch is just so much faster and slicker than my phone.

All I can see myself using the phone for is to create a mobile wi-fi hotspot since data is so cheap - �5 a month or less for unlimited.
    12-28-11 01:23 PM
    i dont see how any comparison can be made between the ipad and the playbook. pb let's you use the internet, ipad let's you use the part of the internet that apple people want you to use. pb is a browsing tool, ipad is some weird version of the nintendo ds. before i got my pb i was using someone else's with one hand, an ipad in the other.. trying to show someone how annoyed i was with the pb for not being able to multitask youtube in a background tab with the default browser.. forgetting of course that i couldn't show them what i wanted to do with the ipad because it can't do anything useful (i also threw the ipad down in disgust at how bad the keyboard is compared to the pb)

i've hated apple since forever and still consider ipod touch to be the only product they ever made that was worth using (not worth owning, or buying, but using)... i've hated blackberry since forever.. because.. well.. blackberry phones are garbage... bbm is the only selling point, other than that it's an ugly phone with a badly built keyboard. so.. between two companies who i consider completely incompetent and unable to produce good products.. it's pretty amazing what the playbook can do.

those two elements alone separate the two devices into completely different segments. most iToy users download a ton of apps.. my only concern for my playbook is finding out how i can delete them all. I don't need any apps, i have a browser. more than that, i have a computer. If i had an iToy.. i wouldn't be able to do any of the things that i expect a computer to be able to do.
    I can browse any site I want on IPad, any time I want. Of course, flash is not available on IPad but PB browser doesn't support all sites either. IPad can multitask, so these points are irrelevant. At this stage PB is severely crippled, and NO browser can't do everything. If that's all I need, I'd rather use a netbook or small notebook which can also do what PB can't do.

Just think about it. If Apple did not build IPad, there would not have been a PB either, at least not at this time, let alone at $200.
    12-28-11 02:06 PM
    "Revolutionary," "professional," etc., are just advertising slogans RIM uses in marketing the Playbook; people should not get so excited about these words. The Playbook has nice hardware, but there is nothing revolutionary about the Playbook I can think of. The touch sensitive bezel is the only hardware feature not found on other tablets I know, but hardly what I would call "revolutionary." It's not even needed, as HP's Web OS, which has a user interface similar to that of QNX, does just fine without it. QNX is just another OS, with no "revolutionary" capabilities that I know of. Bridge is an interesting concept, but one I would prefer the Playbook did not have, since it seems to have encouraged RIM to leave the Playbook in a crippled state when it comes to native email apps.

Can anyone explain what is superior about QNX (compared to the other tablet OS's)? My perception at present is that it works OK, but is inferior to Android and iOS in that it lacks development tools available for those operating systems, making it more difficult to develop software for QNX. It seems reasonably zippy, but so do the other OS's. In spite of its purported segmentation, I have not found it any more robust than the Android 3.1 on my Samsung 10.1.
    12-28-11 02:11 PM
    I can browse any site I want on IPad, any time I want. Of course, flash is not available on IPad but PB browser doesn't support all sites either. IPad can multitask, so these points are irrelevant. At this stage PB is severely crippled, and NO browser can't do everything. If that's all I need, I'd rather use a netbook or small notebook which can also do what PB can't do.

Just think about it. If Apple did not build IPad, there would not have been a PB either, at least not at this time, let alone at $200.
    maybe it is crippled, but it's still lightyears ahead of the ipad. and no, ipad cannot multitask. it saves states and reloads them when u switch back. that's not multitasking, at least not in a modern post-1980's use of the word... well seems i was wrong.. they've moved past state saving and moved on to suspending in background (kinda like pb in default mode until you switch it over to showcase). and it cant do flash. flash sucks, but ios sucks more than flash.

if apple didnt build the ipad... i wouldn't have a pb.. but i don't care, because im not a fan of rim. some other company would have made one.. and it would have had flash. cuz it's not like the ipad was the first tablet.. it was just the first mass market success in the tablet segment. if apple hadn't made the ipad.. then we would doubtlessly have better tablets. through marketing and lies (claims that the ipad was anything but a sadly nerfed version of what was previously available) apple stole money that could have gone to a legitimate tech company, one that would push technology forward instead of stifling innovation and presenting obsolete tech as if it were the shiniest new thing.
    12-28-11 03:09 PM
    maybe it is crippled, but it's still lightyears ahead of the ipad. and no, ipad cannot multitask. it saves states and reloads them when u switch back. that's not multitasking, at least not in a modern post-1980's use of the word... well seems i was wrong.. they've moved past state saving and moved on to suspending in background (kinda like pb in default mode until you switch it over to showcase). and it cant do flash. flash sucks, but ios sucks more than flash.

if apple didnt build the ipad... i wouldn't have a pb.. but i don't care, because im not a fan of rim. some other company would have made one.. and it would have had flash. cuz it's not like the ipad was the first tablet.. it was just the first mass market success in the tablet segment. if apple hadn't made the ipad.. then we would doubtlessly have better tablets. through marketing and lies (claims that the ipad was anything but a sadly nerfed version of what was previously available) apple stole money that could have gone to a legitimate tech company, one that would push technology forward instead of stifling innovation and presenting obsolete tech as if it were the shiniest new thing.
    I'd love to read your list of "legitimate" tech companies.
    12-28-11 03:14 PM
    I'd love to read your list of "legitimate" tech companies.
    hp, ibm/lenovo, sun, cisco, google, fujitsu, toshiba, NEC, texas instruments, stuff like that. Companies who do R&D in order to build better products, who sell technology on fact and not obfuscation, who put user experience as a priority.

obviously the list would be huge, but that was off the top of my head. apple just doesn't fit in that category. they make a bad os, they make bad mp3 players, bad phones, bad tablets, and most of their money comes from selling music and garbage games. the one thing all of their products have in common is a bad user experience, ignore the marketing and look at the features (not specs, specs are meaningless) that are available to them and how they use them. everything they make is deliberately built to not work very well. legitimate tech companies build things to work with other technology.
    esqlaw likes this.
    12-28-11 03:35 PM
    ...Can anyone explain what is superior about QNX (compared to the other tablet OS's)? My perception at present is that it works OK, but is inferior to Android and iOS in that it lacks development tools available for those operating systems, making it more difficult to develop software for QNX. It seems reasonably zippy, but so do the other OS's. In spite of its purported segmentation, I have not found it any more robust than the Android 3.1 on my Samsung 10.1.
    can't quite put my finger on it about QNX
    Don't forget, it's a combination of OS/Hardware/Utility that makes the PB special

This is all I know:
    iPod Touch 4G - recently given away as Christmas present to my teenage nephew
    iPad 3G 1st gen - sitting on my desk untouched for about 4 weeks now
    Galaxy Wifi 5.0 - recently given away as Christmas present for my mom to play Bejeweled
    Playbook - goes everywhere with me with Bridge-enabled internet

My wife's iPad 3G 1st gen - goes everywhere with her, chooses not to activate 3G however

We're both very happy
    12-28-11 03:42 PM
    Nothing to defend. My point is, it is the best for ME. I am not trying to claim it is best for everyone. Don't really care what others believe, how marketable it is or how many sell.

Many others feel it is best for THEM. Many more don't. Playbook doesn't sell as well because of poor marketing and bad press. so what? I still have mine.

Groundbreaking and unique features are important to me, whether they make it marketable or not. If they don't sell all I can say is there are a lot of people missing out on a lot of groundbreaking unique features. Too bad for them.

Yes, Jack. Are you kidding me? Of course you should only buy what's most popular. Do you have a dog. It had better be an Airedale Terrier. What did you have for lunch? I hope it was a bologna sandwich!

But why stop at comparing the PlayBook to an iPod. Let's compare an Ikea kitchen cabinet to an argyle sweater. A ski lift to a popcorn popper. The possibilities are endless!
    Megacharge likes this.
    12-28-11 08:21 PM

So, I take it you like the iPad. That's your choice. Fine. Go in peace.

See. I'm the Gandhi of the board. If Gandhi was a super sexy woman with a thick luxuriant mustache, that is...
    12-28-11 08:28 PM
    Yes, Jack. Are you kidding me? Of course you should only buy what's most popular. Do you have a dog. It had better be an Airedale Terrier. What did you have for lunch? I hope it was a bologna sandwich!

But why stop at comparing the PlayBook to an iPod. Let's compare an Ikea kitchen cabinet to an argyle sweater. A ski lift to a popcorn popper. The possibilities are endless!
    Well said. I always fell for that line "Be the first one on your block to....(fill in blank).
    That began a lifetime of chasing after the latest fad.

Beginning with x-ray specs and sea monkeys, nobody got product before me.
    Designer jeans , Nike shoes, platforms, .. whatever the most other people fell for, whatever sold the most, I had to have it. Whatever people told me I should get, that was what I wanted. None of this thinking for myself stuff, it's more important what others think.

Now i have to suffer with this damn angry birds thing....
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-28-11 at 08:49 PM.
    12-28-11 08:39 PM
    If I could prove it, I'll apply for a Marketing Head Officer job @ RIM ! :-)
    But, if I refer to history, when Ipad was launched, returns were "what will people do with this device ? It's half way between Lap and Desks tops, poor storage, proprietary, etc ...", but we know the tremendous success it has/have (no bashing here, stay cool).
    I'd market PB to be half way between tablet ( equals Ipad in commune sense) and Smartphones ... a (secured) TabPhone ?

my 0.000000002 cent

I still feel like that... not to say they're no good, but honestly, they're great when i cant be assed(which is always) dragging my 10 pound desktop replacement laptop in one room or another.
    12-28-11 09:16 PM

Can anyone explain what is superior about QNX (compared to the other tablet OS's)? My perception at present is that it works OK, but is inferior to Android and iOS in that it lacks development tools available for those operating systems, making it more difficult to develop software for QNX. It seems reasonably zippy, but so do the other OS's. In spite of its purported segmentation, I have not found it any more robust than the Android 3.1 on my Samsung 10.1.
    I've been using various android incarnations for almost a year now. QNX is quite a bit faster and sturdier than any of the honeycomb variants. I haven't tried ICS yet. The sheer variety of things android allows you to do is both its greatest strength and greatest weakness. It has plenty of options for the user to do pretty much anything their tastes prefer, but unlike iOS and QNX, Android needs to be fitted for a big variety of differing device manufacturers. The damn gunk these carriers plaster on top os the OS is also a nuisance (motoblur, sense, touchwiz etc). These differences have also been a source of a larger number of bugs. I find the swipe style of QNX a lot better than the android ui. The browser is better. Apps alone are the main reason why I intend to stay with Android phones. I really have found a need for the large selection of apps on my phone. I'm finding that I don't have that need on a tablet though which is why I opted for a better hardware / software combo than any of the current android tablet offerings.

Having said that, android is still in its infancy and my impressions could very likely change completely in as little as a year from now. but for just a $200 investment I'm ok with that
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-28-11 at 09:27 PM.
    12-28-11 09:23 PM
    I think everyone will agree with you about the price. But that goes for all tablets. They are all over priced. But the 399.00 Android tablets are a good deal.

Anyway, that's an interesting idea. I think the last thing to compete with the iPod was the Zune, and it's dead now. But it might get people thinking a different way about the PB.
    I agree that tablets are priced too high. Where the Playbook is priced now is closed to where they should be.

Putting the Playbook up against the ipod is a bad idea. Yes they are closer in size but the ipod is seen as a mp3 player with games. The Playbook is too big to go after mp3 players.

It has to be in the tablet crowd which is large at this point. They need to grow the qnx line up and build up app world. And they need to advertise. The fact that so many sold with the big sale they had helps. It gets people trying it out and will allow others to see it in the wild and try it out as well. This will give those people choices.

I was happy to see a too guys sitting at the mall talking. One guy had a Playbook sitting in front of him.

It could help when they add in Android apps as well. That could push some people that are sitting on the fence on to this side.

James
    12-28-11 09:32 PM
    Just to clear something up, WebOS does use bezel gestures. My pre has them and they're pretty handy. Not sure if the WebOS tablet uses them but I wouldn't be surprised. The PB reminded me of WebOS a lot. I actually wouldn't have been at all surprised had the PB released with a palm badge on it, it was that similar. not saying ripoff btw.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    12-28-11 09:53 PM

What is wrong with the BB keyboard? I still have a Bolld 9000. I feel its the best keyboard on any phone I have ever tired.

James
    12-28-11 09:56 PM

spoken like a true apple fanboy:
    if ford didn't invent the car we would still be on horses, if the wright brother's didn't fly we would not be going crossing the ocean for a vacation, if bell didn't invent the phone we would communicate with pigeons, ??? (i don't know the true inventor but know its not apple) who invented the smart phone there would be no iphone. this is to name just a few

i have an itouch because my gf got it for me a few years back and i have a playbook.

current price: playbook, i would even pay higher because of the build
    -battery life on this is 10x better (ipod dies after about 2 hrs- hated it when i was on a plane trying to make it though a flight across the ocean)
    -travel size screen real estate, even now, i'm not using my laptops and the are beside me
    -this no buttons gesture screen is really growing on me
    -crashing problem because it does happen (even on my ipod) i just swipe and reopen without a restart, simply amazing... of course this is because i am multitasking. (typing, playing music, surfing

did i say how much i like the swiping and will only get better for bb10.

i have to give the functionality to my playbook, but this is only my opinion
    Last edited by cajualaddict; 12-28-11 at 10:13 PM. Reason: oh forgot to add, i also have a netbook
    12-28-11 10:10 PM
    What is wrong with the BB keyboard? I still have a Bolld 9000. I feel its the best keyboard on any phone I have ever tired.

James
    keys are way too small and uneven and the numbers are placed in the most horrible place possible (the good thing that came out of that being the virtual keyboard on the pb). i've never owned a blackberry and never will, even though bbm is tempting, i would never want to have to type with that thing. it's much better than that jokes of a virtual keyboard on the iphone, but it's still totally unusable. slide out keyboards is the only way to go.
    12-28-11 11:19 PM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD