ummmmmmmmmmmm. no
    10-28-11 10:55 PM
    ummmmmmmmmmmm. no
    ummmm yes, which other pad exactly, has these things? waiting....

Bridge - groundbreaking
    touch sensitive bezel = groundbreaking
    native hdmi = ground breaking
    audio quality - stereo mics - dual front facing speakers = groundbreaking
    small form factor, crisp bright high contrast display = groundbreaking
    Multitasking UI with easy app switching with a home button = groundbreaking
    QNX on a tablet = groundbreaking...
    10-28-11 10:57 PM
    ummmm yes, which other pad exactly, has these things? waiting....

Bridge - groundbreaking
    Huh? Don't presume I am responding to your posts... I was responding to the OP
    10-28-11 11:02 PM
    Huh? Don't presume I am responding to your posts... I was responding to the OP
    Sorry, Then I agree..
    Ummmmm no.

You didn't quote the OP.
    10-28-11 11:05 PM
    Bridge - groundbreaking

what did I leave out?
    The issue here is the confusion between groundbreaking and marketable. The only marketable item in your list is Bridge, everything else is what I call non-revenue features, i.e. they might get people interested but they typically won't buy a tablet because of them. I would buy a PB for Bridge alone, but not for any of the other features you mention. But without a BB, Bridge becomes pointless, and your best marketable feature is down the drain.
    john dunbar likes this.
    10-28-11 11:17 PM
    You mean other than the fact that they don't have them? you people are delusional.
    Well, the PlayBook is special since it mimics the multitasking "cards" metaphor from webOS. And it has stereo speakers like a zillion Android tablets, so that's special. And it has a touch screen, but it's smaller so it's special. And it has an OS that goes back to the same UNIX legacy as Android or iOS or webOS, but QNX was used to run traffic lights and sewage plants, so it has a blue collar appeal. It's extra good at HDMI because you don't know about all the other tablets that have HDMI out. But to top it off, it's so special and awesome that it's sold less units than the Xoom, which makes it rarer than most other tablets on the market. Given RIM's stellar abilities lately, it will only get rarer. Now I get it. It really is a product in a class of it's own.
    10-28-11 11:26 PM
    The issue here is the confusion between groundbreaking and marketable. The only marketable item in your list is Bridge, everything else is what I call non-revenue features, i.e. they might get people interested but they typically won't buy a tablet because of them. I would buy a PB for Bridge alone, but not for any of the other features you mention. But without a BB, Bridge becomes pointless, and your best marketable feature is down the drain.
    When I buy a tablet - I'm not looking at what is popular or marketable, or what has sold the most - I'm looking for what is best for me. So your point is?

I should ignore what is best and go with what everybody else buys??
    10-28-11 11:40 PM
    QNX is decades old. Besides, even in it's latest incarnation, it hasn't gained the traction to qualify as breakthrough. Maybe someday when it amounts to measurable sales numbers on a device, but certainly not now. Like I said before, it's getting lost in the sea of iPad competitors (they all have special-sauce operating systems too).
    QNX has not been sitting still for decades. The device has not gained traction to be sure. They should have put power and home button decals on it at launch. The PB doesn't have any direct competitors but the islab space is, well, the islab space. The PB teamed with a BB handset is the most powerful one two punch on the market. The OS is robust and efficient. The UI is very clever. The PB OS can truly multitask and while one doesn't use that functionality everyday it is great to have available.

Someone was complaining about google maps not working right. He is right but I haven't used goomaps in ages now. I use bing on the PB and whatever on the Bold. It's that killer combo that is so often overlooked. Free browsing? Gimme a break. That's killer. And brought to you by QNX.

RIM has a tough row to hoe though. No doubt about it. Still a nascent device but nevertheless a marvel of 21st century engineering. Proud to call myself a Playbook owner.

Btw, took vids of some colleagues tonight. Good times.
    10-29-11 12:06 AM
    When I buy a tablet - I'm not looking at what is popular or marketable, or what has sold the most - I'm looking for what is best for me. So your point is?

I should ignore what is best and go with what everybody else buys??

The perception of what is "best" is subjective. Just because you think one tablet is better than another is not necessarily what others will believe. You can makes lists of why you think the PB is groundbreaking all day long, doesn't mean it'll sell. And my point is, it didn't sell because it was not marketable. It didn't offer anything radically new, anything exciting that the general public would want. So RIM did a crap job in marketing the unit simply because it didn't have a good marketing hook except for Bridge. The fact that you really like the PB is great, but it doesn't explain why it is not selling in great numbers.

And I sense a little defensive tone in your comments...
    10-29-11 09:41 AM
    I know that apple made everyone believe that you can do nothing without an app, app store or itunes. Do apple and android users have this problem with their computers or laptops? Do you have a mac store or a linux store for them that is needed to make them useful?

I have a lenovo laptop and I don't need a lenovo store or a windows store there are plenty of places for me to get stuff. Is there a specific dell store or hp store?

Are iphones really that dependent on itunes to be functional and useful? What do you get on an iphone if you never buy an app?

Yes the playbook needs apps and they will come but really if your device is that dependent on apps I don't know about that. Probably another one of RIM's mistakes, trying to copy apple by leaving the OS crippled unless you get an app for that.
    10-29-11 10:13 AM
    The perception of what is "best" is subjective. Just because you think one tablet is better than another is not necessarily what others will believe. You can makes lists of why you think the PB is groundbreaking all day long, doesn't mean it'll sell. And my point is, it didn't sell because it was not marketable. It didn't offer anything radically new, anything exciting that the general public would want. So RIM did a crap job in marketing the unit simply because it didn't have a good marketing hook except for Bridge. The fact that you really like the PB is great, but it doesn't explain why it is not selling in great numbers.

And I sense a little defensive tone in your comments...
    Nothing to defend. My point is, it is the best for ME. I am not trying to claim it is best for everyone. Don't really care what others believe, how marketable it is or how many sell.

Many others feel it is best for THEM. Many more don't. Playbook doesn't sell as well because of poor marketing and bad press. so what? I still have mine.

Groundbreaking and unique features are important to me, whether they make it marketable or not. If they don't sell all I can say is there are a lot of people missing out on a lot of groundbreaking unique features. Too bad for them.

Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-29-11 at 11:32 AM.
    10-29-11 11:30 AM
    And the only conceivable use I can think of for "Bridge" is to view the tiny, inadequate screens on the phones. Why use two devices to do the task that should require only one. Now that is just stupid and a ploy to sell more of their devices. Only 250,000 or less fell for that scam.
    10-29-11 01:24 PM
    And the only conceivable use I can think of for "Bridge" is to view the tiny, inadequate screens on the phones. Why use two devices to do the task that should require only one. Now that is just stupid and a ploy to sell more of their devices. Only 250,000 or less fell for that scam.
    Cool. I fell for their ploy. I still use reading glasses when I use my playbook, I can't see a 4" screen being enough for me plus the bb doesn't have flash and the playbook does using my phone data plan or while on wifi.

I guess all the people that carry an iphone and ipad and an android phone and android pad or switch them all around fell for the same ploy.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 10-29-11 at 02:01 PM. Reason: feel to fell
    10-29-11 02:00 PM
    i dont need to carry around my transformer. I use it at home, take it to work on nightshifts or to the coffee shop mostly. I do grab it instead of the laptop for short trips also. The 4.3" screen on my thunderbolt can handle most everything i need for on the go use though. I can use it to remotely log in to my PC at home via logmein. I can watch netflix, hulu, youtube or other avi/mp4 files comfortably. I dont need a second device to accomplish these things.
    10-29-11 02:20 PM
    was just going to keep reading until I stumbled on this post. Bridge is far more than an extension of the phone, try it, youll agree
    10-29-11 10:03 PM
    i dont need to carry around my transformer. I use it at home, take it to work on nightshifts or to the coffee shop mostly. I do grab it instead of the laptop for short trips also. The 4.3" screen on my thunderbolt can handle most everything i need for on the go use though. I can use it to remotely log in to my PC at home via logmein. I can watch netflix, hulu, youtube or other avi/mp4 files comfortably. I dont need a second device to accomplish these things.
    no one "needs" a second device to accomplish most things but 2nd devices are a heckava lotta fun, I love my Playbook as much as most people who own itabs love those and so on & on. All tablets are toys in my opinion, none of us need them.
    10-29-11 10:07 PM
    was just going to keep reading until I stumbled on this post. Bridge is far more than an extension of the phone, try it, youll agree
    Thanks, but I don't need a phone to extend the functionality of my tablet. With Skype it can even make phone calls.
    10-30-11 12:35 AM
    Thanks, but I don't need a phone to extend the functionality of my tablet. With Skype it can even make phone calls.
    Isn't the Xoom that is 'getting 3G enabled soon'? If so, then it's clear if you want to use it on the go that you're not going to be able to use it too well without your phone.
    10-30-11 12:56 AM
    Then you don't have much imagination.
    Major reason is saving paying for two data plans, or for tethering.

But really - do you want to only carry a tab around all the time for making phone calls? Or only a phone for browsing the internet? Think about it - carrying two devices is an advantage not a disadvantage. You only really NEED to carry the phone,bringing a tablet is a nice option - but any phone sucks for browsing or other media (video, games whatever) because of the tiny screen.

Other reasons are to come such as using the BB phone keyboard for the playbook.

The playbook/phone combo is a killer team.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-30-11 at 02:14 AM.
    10-30-11 02:09 AM
    And you will be pulling a tab out of your pocket to answer it when you're in a bar? Holding it to your ear possibly?
    Hope its not a ten incher...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-30-11 at 02:15 AM.
    btulk77 likes this.
    10-30-11 02:12 AM
    And you will be pulling a tab out of your pocket to answer it when you're in a bar? Holding it to your ear possibly?
    Hope its not a ten incher...
    Just by chance have you ever heard of Bluetooth? I also tether to my phone all the time and it doesn't cost a dime, so I don't know where that falsehood came from.
    10-30-11 08:17 AM
    I use Comwave for phone calls on mine, works great. I can't believe some still think you have to have a BB to make the Playbook functional, its a kick a$$ tablet without bridge, bridge just happens to put it far above any & all tablets so far. HP touchpad would have come close to matching it & it still may if HP can make up they're minds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-30-11 08:24 AM
    I use Comwave for phone calls on mine, works great. I can't believe some still think you have to have a BB to make the Playbook functional, its a kick a$$ tablet without bridge, bridge just happens to put it far above any & all tablets so far. HP touchpad would have come close to matching it & it still may if HP can make up they're minds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Exactly. The thought in it's tied to a bb is because that is the only way to get native email, contacts and pim right now. So if you want those things on your tab, phone, laptop and computer.
    10-30-11 08:29 AM
    Isn't the Xoom that is 'getting 3G enabled soon'? If so, then it's clear if you want to use it on the go that you're not going to be able to use it too well without your phone.
    Don't know what a phone has to do with anything. And it has already been upgraded to 4G/Lte and it works great by the way.
    10-30-11 08:38 AM
    Nothing to defend. My point is, it is the best for ME. I am not trying to claim it is best for everyone. Don't really care what others believe, how marketable it is or how many sell.

Many others feel it is best for THEM. Many more don't. Playbook doesn't sell as well because of poor marketing and bad press. so what? I still have mine.

Groundbreaking and unique features are important to me, whether they make it marketable or not. If they don't sell all I can say is there are a lot of people missing out on a lot of groundbreaking unique features. Too bad for them.

Poor marketing, somewhat maybe, RIM earned the "bad press "all on their own. Groundbreaking, there is nothing groundbreaking about it. That bridge app or whatever is one of the reasons consumers were turned off with the whole thing.
    10-30-11 11:06 AM
76 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD