And many paid apps on App World are free on the Android Market.
    Free of advertising? Free of analytic software tracking every click you enter and possible other info? Few things are rarely ever totally free. I personally would rather pay for an app than subjected to targeted advertising or have everything I do in the app be continuously tracked and using my data plan to have ads sent to me or to send analytic info somewhere. Not saying paid apps don't guarantee this won't happen, but Google gives Android away for "Free" to track, advertise, and get search revenue from Android users, they are not doing it out of the kindness of their heart, and I doubt that many android programmers are giving away free stuff without ways of getting revenue in some way from the app.
    missing_K-W and sk8er_tor like this.
    02-05-12 01:29 PM
    Free of advertising? Free of analytic software tracking every click you enter and possible other info? Few things are rarely ever totally free. I personally would rather pay for an app than subjected to targeted advertising or have everything I do in the app be continuously tracked and using my data plan to have ads sent to me or to send analytic info somewhere. Not saying paid apps don't guarantee this won't happen, but Google gives Android away for "Free" to track, advertise, and get search revenue from Android users, they are not doing it out of the kindness of their heart, and I doubt that many android programmers are giving away free stuff without ways of getting revenue in some way from the app.
    Google makes money on Android through the App Market and because you use their search engine. Plus it's not quite free as manufacturers still pay some royalties and support fees AFAIK.

Also, most of the free apps with ads have a paid non-ad version.

So the big brother is not watching you. Or at least not as closely as some think.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-05-12 at 01:38 PM.
    02-05-12 01:34 PM
    Google makes money on Android through the App Market and because you use their search engine. Plus it's not quite free as manufacturers still pay some royalties and support fees AFAIK.

Also, most of the free apps with ads have a paid non-ad version.

So the big brother is not watching you. Or at least not as closely as some think.
    First Month on the Android Market – Making Money With Android

Look at this, especially the section on analytics.
    02-05-12 03:17 PM
    seriously. lol.

visiting the Playbook forum is like visiting a small creepy town where everybody is keeping a bad secret and tries so hard to cover up anything that goes against or tries to expose any kind of truth.

majority of PB owners here are weird. its freaky.
    All I know is that I have a PB as well as an Acer Android tablet. There is NO lag on the Acer. It runs quickly and smoothly, on Honeycomb (so far). I can't see any difference in function between it and the PB. At the moment the Android is far more functional, but OS2 should change that. The Android bashers have obviously not spent much time with a variety of Android tablets. The Android Market, of course, is still the killer difference, with huge numbers of great apps, many free, and generally the paid ones are cheaper than their PB counterparts. And many paid apps on App World are free on the Android Market.
    I think the PB has great potential, but don't kid yourselves, Android is a great system also.
    And you do not need to "close" Android apps in the background. They do not interfere with the running of new apps, and do NOT take memory from those new running apps. It's the nature of Android - read about it.
    You guys are not gonna get any likes with rational thought.

LOL... just go WITH the grain. The PB has no faults. Then, publicly ridicule the "sheep" who can't see that.

Now, rail against the brick and mortar stores that hide them. Bingo! You're a PB supporter now!
    dobiefan and Rickroller like this.
    02-05-12 03:34 PM
    You guys are not gonna get any likes with rational thought.

LOL... just go WITH the grain. The PB has no faults. Then, publicly ridicule the "sheep" who can't see that.

Now, rail against the brick and mortar stores that hide them. Bingo! You're a PB supporter now!
    No it has faults just like everything does, even ipads. The flaws are known and being addressed.

Posters get backlash when they sound too ipad/android fanboyish and use thread titles like "playbook is a big pos" and then post a page of what has been known forever all the while adding in and concluding that "insert ipad or android" should've been purchased instead.

And who cares about likes? Is that what people are on here for? To have their posts liked?
    tofo17 likes this.
    02-05-12 03:44 PM
    I love my 16GB playbook but would never swap my HTC sensation (rooted, S-off and custom ROM) for any blackberry; I have read the post about lag on android, crashes and FC's but I have had not a single crash on my phone with an unofficial ICS ROM. There is absolutely no lag.

The issue I have with this forum is the clear bias to all things Blackberry. They are good devices and may be the best, but if you cant sell them there aint much point in making them. The ipad is an awesome bit of kit if thats what you want and its capturing the corporate market. Android phones are taking over the world. Blackberry has secure email and BBM? Any wonder why its market share is in decline.

On any ios / android phone I can connect to work using pptp or l2tp - the most common vpn connections. On a playbook I cant connect using either of these means. mmm?

On any ios or android phone / tablet I can connect to my friends for video chat regardless of whether we have the same phone. Blackberry to blackberry video only..mmm?

And then theres email on my tablet, so I can use it for work out of the office. Not unless I have a blackberry...Nope, My windows phone doesnt like it.

So, I have perhaps the smoothest tablet, with the best sound, a great screen but I cant do anything on it except play games and browse the internet.

So Buggy Android or Crapple ios..... They may be flawed but they are not anywhere near as flawed as RIM for their stupid closed systems and they have single handedly ruined their playbooks chances.

PS... Android is effectively open source..give it another 12m and see what it does. I cant wait It may even allow me to connect my playbook with l2tp. who knows?

PPS: linux likes its apps running in its memory. An android/linux system with too much free memory is not a good system... it will close what it needs when it needs it.
    Last edited by tinker2000; 02-05-12 at 03:55 PM.
    teamfortress and clarj44 like this.
    02-05-12 03:50 PM
    No it has faults just like everything does, even ipads. The flaws are known and being addressed.

Posters get backlash when they sound too ipad/android fanboyish and use thread titles like "playbook is a big pos" and then post a page of what has been known forever all the while adding in and concluding that "insert ipad or android" should've been purchased instead.

And who cares about likes? Is that what people are on here for? To have their posts liked?
    Sarcasm, dear friend.

But... try it. Post this: "The PB is perfect, and the iOS and Android are for sheep."

Give it a try...
    02-05-12 03:52 PM
    I see that the Android defenders are coming out in full force....Through my experience with Android hands on, and through many videos. The majority functions with lag....My observations don't lie.

One thing I have noticed is there is a striking similarity with Android users who experience no lag. That would be rooting the device to make a modification of sorts to optimize. Now this is fine for the <1% of users that are tech savvy.

Android is a commodity, and regardless : OEM's will not spend as much time optimizing the the hardware /software front....Androids biggest threat is the competition between Android OEM's.....

QNX is a strategic partner with Texas Instruments, there for as long as RIM utilizes TI hardware, there will be a high degree of optimization......To affirm this matter, QNX is also a strategic partner with Adobe....It should come as no surprise that the flash experience on PB is so stunning....There is a deep seeded optimisation occurring. With the OEM war currently underway between Android OEM'S, they just can't put the time into optimize....The only hope for this to occur with Android is with Google owning Motorola.....Yet that is left TBD.(or,to the degree of which an OEM is committed to optimize )

There are many reasons why even Android Apps will function more fluidly and free from lag on QNX devices. Some of which is mentioned above
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-05-12 at 04:36 PM.
    02-05-12 04:06 PM
    The Xoom had lag. I was not impressed.

Now, I have never found any lag on an ICS device yet. I was blown away.

Didn't see any lag on the PB. I used that more extensively than the others.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-05-12 04:17 PM
    i think some people confuse "transitions" with lag. I dont experience 'lag' with my transformer and certainly not my nexus. But i can see some transitions causing the feel of lag. iOS is superior than any other OS in this respect. They have been on top of the game with their UI from the beginning
    02-05-12 04:29 PM
    i think some people confuse "transitions" with lag. I dont experience 'lag' with my transformer and certainly not my nexus.
    Lol...so true Every OS has its +/-
    Last edited by missing_K-W; 02-05-12 at 04:38 PM.
    02-05-12 04:31 PM
    seriously. lol.

visiting the Playbook forum is like visiting a small creepy town where everybody is keeping a bad secret and tries so hard to cover up anything that goes against or tries to expose any kind of truth.

majority of PB owners here are weird. its freaky.
    Pointless post.. Go somewhere else if you think we are wierd! Try an apple fanboy forum... At least were not a cult! Someone else posted there seems to be a bias for blackberry here.. Uhh? We are in crackberry forum, it is supposed to be about us liking blackberry!

Thanks to the people who just post thier experience with android instead of jumping on us for posting our opinion. I like hearing people who have good experiences with android devices, allows me to see which products are good and to maybe give a look at!

For me I love the playbook because it surprised me. Having said that my next tablet will be either playbook 2 (7") or I might be tempted to go with Windows 8 tablet depending on how well it performs.
    Last edited by shn; 02-05-12 at 11:02 PM.
    sk8er_tor and bbvj like this.
    02-05-12 10:47 PM
    webOS is OK. The problem with the touchpad is that it lacked the side swipe that the PB has for switching between applications, and overall, webOS is just not as smooth as the PB. In addition, the "true-multitasking" of the Touchpad is a bit weird. For instance, if you are watching something on youtube and you switch to something else, the browser stops working after a while. This is in contrast to the PB where I have WAY more control over how the apps work.
    Even though I have very limited experience with Blackberry BBX/10 OS (having just bought a Playbook), I would agree with this. I like webOS, but IMO it doesn't handle single-tasking as well as any other mobile OS (including Android OS) and Blackberry BBX/10 seems to handle multi-tasking a little better than webOS. The gesture interface is great though, particularly on tablets; IMO this is webOS' (and Blackberry BBX/10's) greatest advantage over iOS and Android OS. (I should note I currently do not own an iOS or Android OS tablet, but my understanding is their functionality is similar on tablets as it is on smartphones/non-phone media players; I do own both Android OS and iOS devices in the latter category.)
    Last edited by CHIP72; 02-05-12 at 11:48 PM.
    02-05-12 11:00 PM
    i think some people confuse "transitions" with lag. I dont experience 'lag' with my transformer and certainly not my nexus. But i can see some transitions causing the feel of lag. iOS is superior than any other OS in this respect. They have been on top of the game with their UI from the beginning
    IMO, Windows Phone OS probably tops even iOS in the "transitions" regard.
    02-05-12 11:05 PM
    Switching gears a bit, does anyone else think that RIM should be trying to produce an ASUS Transformer-like tablet/keyboard combination? Obviously such a combination wouldn't work well with a 7 inch tablet and really would need to be a 10 inch tablet. Having said that, RIM's strengths with Blackberry have always been 1) enterprise and 2) physical keyboards. If you combine the strengths of the Blackberry BBX/10 OS with the "mindshare" strengths that RIM currently has with its devices, RIM could have a very attractive product on their hands. Any thoughts?
    02-05-12 11:10 PM
    Switching gears a bit, does anyone else think that RIM should be trying to produce an ASUS Transformer-like tablet/keyboard combination? Obviously such a combination wouldn't work well with a 7 inch tablet and really would need to be a 10 inch tablet. Having said that, RIM's strengths with Blackberry have always been 1) enterprise and 2) physical keyboards. If you combine the strengths of the Blackberry BBX/10 OS with the "mindshare" strengths that RIM currently has with its devices, RIM could have a very attractive product on their hands. Any thoughts?
    Yeah honestly I have been waiting and wondering why they haven't copied this! Looks soo good and functions amazing!
    02-05-12 11:16 PM
    I have not tried it and frankly am not interested.
    That said the PB OS 1 has so many functions that are incomplete so maybe that is why it is so brisk.
    When OS2 lands with all the bells and whistles and we put it to the test we could yet have a nasty surprise.
    Let's wait and see.
    02-06-12 07:00 AM
    Guys A Have an Ipad 2 And Playbook 32 and Got A Asus prime ... in last week
    I can Affor That ,,, PLaybook Have The Better Screen Resolution as far than Ipad and Asus Prime More COnstrast TOO ..

The Web browser Of Asus IS POOR ,,, U cant render ANY page as The full web browser that we Have with playbook .. playbook is really powerfull the browser experience is really rich ,, the wi-fe in prima is damn weak too Android Always LAGIN and closin apps ... IM really Upset With ASUS and Android .... And comparin Prime quad-core with Ipad dual-core ... IPAD2 wins IN open apps internet all ... android is a BAD system make powerfull hardware runs So slown and LAGGY ...
    02-06-12 08:23 AM
    The tablet might be crappy but it has a cool name lol
    02-06-12 09:28 AM
    They are coming out with a convertible keyboard case with built in battery actually. Saw in on crackberry news a couple weeks ago. If you search hard enough you'll find it lol. I think that's a great idea!
    02-06-12 09:33 AM
    Just wanted to add, I bought a playbook in Nov only to return it because I heard the latest and greatest tablet the "Transformer Prime" was coming out soon. So I picked up my Prime in January and while the unit is nice and the Ice Cream Sandwich OS is better then Honeycomb. The Prime's WIFI just sucked!! And I didn't pay that much money for crappy wifi. As I surf/stream first and play games second. So I returned the prime and picked up a 64g PB and haven't looked back... Especially with the new apps being added and OS2 coming out soon.
    Last edited by GGKoul; 02-06-12 at 09:57 AM.
    recompile likes this.
    02-06-12 09:54 AM
    That's all it is, just flashy names and nothing but noise and smoke. I rather have a PB which is a weird name, but real performance.
    02-06-12 10:22 AM
    To be honest though, I do not know how the new ASUS quadcore tablet is selling at around $250. Where did they cut corners? its quad core but whats their clock rate? Id honestly just really like to know.
    02-06-12 10:40 AM
    Nah, the TP is ~US$500-600. Asus was probably the most cost competitive with the Transformer and did pretty well with it. Must be the sweatshop labor.
    02-06-12 11:24 AM
    Nah, the TP is ~US$500-600. Asus was probably the most cost competitive with the Transformer and did pretty well with it. Must be the sweatshop labor.
    Apengue1 was referring to the ASUS Memo 7" tablet that was announced at CES last month, not the ASUS Transformer Prime.

Having said the above, I'm trying to figure out how ASUS could sell a 7" quad-core tablet for $250 without having an ecosystem (i.e. iTunes, Android Market, Blackberry App World, etc.) to offset and potentially subsidize the hardware costs.
    02-06-12 11:32 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD