While CNET is known for its bias, there is a current story ostensibly about Playbook pricing that people may want to check out and perhaps leave a comment: RIM cuts BlackBerry PlayBook prices again--but should you buy in? | The Cheapskate - CNET News. The author generally mis-represents the Playbook's capabilities and flat-out lies about whether it is GPS enabled (he says it is not). Essentially, the person is using the current Playbook pricing to shill a cheap Android tablet (the Lenovo IdeaPad A1) that has received poor consumer reviews for build quality and all of the typical Android Honeycomb compliants. The Playbook may be a work-in-progress on the app side, and RIM's marketing has left much to be desired, but it is still first rate technology with exceptional multi-tasking. It s also the best built tablet I have touched and I checked out quite a few before and after buying a Playbook. Actually, until Windows 8 arrives, as far as I am concerned the Playbook is the only tablet that is genuinely capable of multi-tasking....
    peter9477 and quik4life like this.
    02-03-12 10:38 AM
    But look at all the writing experience he has. Surely he must know what he's talking about? A technology writer for 20 years and has written a dozen books. I think he is qualified to write about how being a writer can get you free stuff if you tickle the right keys...
    thedark722 likes this.
    02-03-12 10:45 AM
    Rick Broida is a moron I'll destroy him on Twitter like I did last week for the BBC Newsbeat story (3/4 UK BB users want to change phone)... they issued a retraction. He will cry to his mum from crossing my path, trust me
    02-03-12 10:55 AM
    CNET still around?
    black hole and fj_cruiser like this.
    02-03-12 10:57 AM
    Just because somebody is in a certain position doesn't mean he is there because he's capable. If you state the PB has no GPS, that means you didn't do your homework and didn't even bother to read the spec sheets or the manual. So since 20 years the dude writes articles about things and still doesn't know how to do his homework first. To me that us ignorant and reflects the quality of 20 year experience. And he is not alone. You need to educate yourself before you open your mouth. This error is so essential, that he should be ashamed of himself.
    02-03-12 11:01 AM
    Rick Broida is a moron I'll destroy him on Twitter like I did last week for the BBC Newsbeat story (3/4 UK BB users want to change phone)... they issued a retraction. He will cry to his mum from crossing my path, trust me
    Woah.

How did he "cross your path" now? Did he physically abuse you or yours?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    02-03-12 11:01 AM
    rick broida is a biased liar. he does not know what is he writing about. dont know what has he been writing for 20 years or has he really been. if does not know that playbook has gps thats his problem . tommorow he will say that sun makes round of earth and we will have to believe him because he been writing on this earth for 20 years.
    black hole and WestiesRule like this.
    02-03-12 11:05 AM
    If you do search for this D-bags books they're mostly about using devices, especially the Palm.

One of his books is called using your GPS

The playbook has built-in GPS. Ex. The VCMS app can run with the phone off.
    How could this writer get it wrong
    02-03-12 11:10 AM
    He has updated his story... ha ha ha ha ha!!!

BUT... he didn't change his opinion. Maybe he should actually USE one and then try doing a second draft. It's blatantly obvious the guy has never even used one!
    Last edited by modine; 02-03-12 at 11:15 AM.
    02-03-12 11:10 AM
    One thing that i have noticed is that many times people come in defense of rim in the comment sections. Same is with this cnet "article".
    02-03-12 11:11 AM

..."moron" is too good for that guy...scum is the right word

crush him like a bug
    Last edited by anthogag; 02-03-12 at 11:22 AM.
    02-03-12 11:17 AM
    Woah.

How did he "cross your path" now? Did he physically abuse you or yours?

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    haha it's a figure of speech bro, a figure of speech
    BB_Bmore and black hole like this.
    02-03-12 11:18 AM
    haha this was the tweet I received as an apology from Newsbeat last time

Dan Whitworth
    @danwtech Yalding House, London

@pgerhard hey Paul thnx for ur comments. Hope u have seen/heard today's follow up. Let me know what you think... Thoughts always appreciated

10:41 PM Mon Jan 30 2012 � Twitter for iPhone

YES YOU READ WELL twitter for iPhone:::: hahahaha fanboy uncovered
    02-03-12 11:20 AM
    But look at all the writing experience he has. Surely he must know what he's talking about? A technology writer for 20 years and has written a dozen books. I think he is qualified to write about how being a writer can get you free stuff if you tickle the right keys...
    Well don't go by his experienced (even they can be biased when it comes to technology), read it yourself and judge the facts if you own Playbook and has used it.
    02-03-12 11:24 AM
    Some of these 'writers' are writing amateur articles and they use toy phones...is their a connection

Perhaps they need a tool, more action less distraction
    WestiesRule and Boodrew like this.
    02-03-12 11:30 AM
    Would/could you please just copy/paste the blog in the OP so we don't have to 'hit' their site?
    FSeverino likes this.
    02-03-12 11:43 AM
    The 16GB BlackBerry PlayBook is once again on sale for $199. Good deal or no deal?

(Credit: RIM) Last summer, when HP discontinued the WebOS-powered TouchPad and fire-sold its remaining inventory, buyers went ape. Apparently a 10-inch tablet for $99 was too good to pass up--never mind the fact that app development was about to grind to a halt.

RIM's 7-inch BlackBerry PlayBook is likely to suffer a similar fate, which begs the question: Is it worth owning if you can get it for cheap?

Your inevitable next question: how cheap? RIM's newly slashed PlayBook prices are as follows: $199 for the 16GB model, $249 for the 32GB model, and $299 for the 64GB model.

This last hasn't changed since last month, when RIM made the curious move of pricing all PlayBook models at $299. (Um, yeah, think I'll take the one with less storage. Right.)

Let's focus on the $199 version. That's a good price for a 7-inch tablet. It has twice the storage of Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire and comes with advanced features like an HDMI output and a powerful Flash-enhanced browser.

On the other hand, there's no way to expand the available storage, as you can with, say, the $199 Lenovo IdeaPad A1. And the PlayBook lacks GPS, another feature that gives the IdeaPad a leg up. Update: My bad! The PlayBook does indeed have GPS. Anyone know if it works offline (i.e. without Wi-Fi assistance)?

And let's not forget: the latter runs Android. RIM's OS is, by most accounts, fast, fluid, and pleasant, but its future is uncertain. In short order you could find yourself with a tablet that app developers have more or less abandoned.

Of course, maybe that doesn't matter. Even without new apps, it'll still be good for e-mail, e-books, Web browsing, Facebook, and Angry Birds. Maybe that's enough for some users. You tell me.

Indeed, let me know what you think of this deal. Is $199 the right price for a 16GB PlayBook? If not, what is? And how about the other two models? It's pretty rare to see a 64GB tablet for $299.

That said, I still think the IdeaPad is the $199 tablet deal to beat.
    I try to post the text rather than give them free hits, myself.

Oh, and I said all along they should have given folk the ability to expand the storage for the PlayBook, built in. The more you can 'future plan' your device, the more attractive it becomes.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 02-03-12 at 11:56 AM.
    02-03-12 11:50 AM
    He just needs to keep playing with Lego's and leave the grown up gadgets to the adults.
    02-03-12 11:56 AM
    I try to post the text rather than give them free hits, myself.

Oh, and I said all along they should have given folk the ability to expand the storage for the PlayBook, built in. The more you can 'future plan' your device, the more attractive it becomes.
    USB Host mode is coming
    02-03-12 11:58 AM
    I think it is silly, he wrote - "In short order you could find yourself with a tablet that app developers have more or less abandoned."

I mean, wouldn't app developers have to take part in writing apps for the playbook before they could abandon it?
    That being said, at the time he wrote this (please give me my free IdeaPAd) article, more and more app developers are getting on board every day with some very high quality stuff.
    02-03-12 12:13 PM
    As a writer, one should never let truth get in the way of a good story.
    02-03-12 12:18 PM
    Just let them know how you fell, leave a comment.
    done.
    02-03-12 12:20 PM
    USB Host mode is coming
    I think I remember hearing about that. Adapt it to USB and go wild. Thanks for the reminder.
    02-03-12 01:10 PM
    He just needs to keep playing with Lego's and leave the grown up gadgets to the adults.
    Hey, don't give him the credit of playing with Lego's, those can be enjoyed by adults, ya know.

Besides, he's too busy with his Polly Pocket collection.
    02-03-12 01:12 PM
    I think it is silly, he wrote - "In short order you could find yourself with a tablet that app developers have more or less abandoned."

I mean, wouldn't app developers have to take part in writing apps for the playbook before they could abandon it?
    That being said, at the time he wrote this (please give me my free IdeaPAd) article, more and more app developers are getting on board every day with some very high quality stuff.
    I admit, I did edit out his plug for cheap iPod Touch from Amazon, but it wasn't germaine to the article as written
    02-03-12 01:16 PM
55 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD