The PlayBook commercials from earlier have begun airing again on CNBC. TouchPad commercials were on CNBC often a couple of months ago and then disappeared once HP pulled the plug on them. Seeing the PlayBook commercials pop up again could be a new marketing push ahead of OS2.0.
    10-10-11 11:40 PM
    Hopefully the ads point out that the Playbook is temporarily on sale, thus giving urgency to potential buyers and build the user base. Otherwise, why not wait until official 2.0 features are announced and tout them?
    10-11-11 12:26 AM
    But are they GOOD commercials?
    10-11-11 12:47 AM
  4. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Devcon can't come soon enough! AND OS 2.0!!!
    10-11-11 07:02 AM
    mmmm, it has some cracking features to shout about now, will have even more post OS2 so lets hope its an indication of a series marketing campaign for the PB for the first time.
    10-11-11 08:10 AM
    Waste of time and money without 2.0 IMHO. If the commercials would sell the product, they would have sold more 1.X devices when they originally ran, but they didn't. No RIM you will have to do a little more to get sales than dig up the old PB commercials from the marketing bin. You need 2.0, and a revised campaign to show what you can do with it, not Queen music and 1.X that didn't sell well before!
    10-11-11 08:30 AM
    Waste of time and money without 2.0 IMHO. If the commercials would sell the product, they would have sold more 1.X devices when they originally ran, but they didn't. No RIM you will have to do a little more to get sales than dig up the old PB commercials from the marketing bin. You need 2.0, and a revised campaign to show what you can do with it, not Queen music and 1.X that didn't sell well before!
    This is true to a certain point but then i have to disagree. There is no way this device is as bad as the sales figures suggest, it really isnt. The PB was catastrophically let down by RIM with an almost non existant marketing campaign. I live in England and ive not seen, read or heard ONE ad on any form of media!

This is appalling.

Yes, a revised ad campaign as its going to do lots more, but a proper campaign that gets it seen by people is the main thing. One of the few things i think apple does well is the way they sell, rim can learn something, just that though, nothing else please.
    Last edited by Name_Taken; 10-11-11 at 09:55 AM.
    10-11-11 09:23 AM
    hey guys,

i saw the same commercials as before, "powerful, portable, playbook"...just that i hadn't seen them for over a month, and i never saw them on cnbc until now...new commercials would be nice, but good to see some kind of attempt here...
    10-11-11 10:02 AM
    This is true to a certain point but then i have to disagree. There is no way this device is as bad as the sales figures suggest, it really isnt. The PB was catastrophically let down by RIM with an almost non existant marketing campaign. I live in England and ive not seen, read or heard ONE ad on any form of media!

This is appalling.

Yes, a revised ad campaign as its going to do lots more, but a proper campaign that gets it seen by people is the main thing. One of the few things i think apple does well is the way they sell, rim can learn something, just that though, nothing else please.
    I saw ton's of them during the Stanley Cup Playoffs (shocking I know that RIM would advertise for Hockey). These were widely watched, but US sales sucked still. The device isn't bad but if someone see's a commercial and then goes to look at the reviews and a little bit of research on the Internet, then they will find plenty of people bashing the Playbook and a list of deficiencies compared to the competition, and most of those based off a pre release build of the OS that was buggy and most consumers have ever seen. RIM should just hold off on any advertising for the PB until they have a "new" product to sell. A product that addresses all the shortcomings that the bashers harped on. And the commercials should focus on what they have addressed. RIM probably looked at the abysmal response to the marketing they did in the US, and decided to hold off on much marketing for the device. The OS 2.0 rebirth is desperately needed if the product is to survive.
    10-11-11 12:56 PM
    hey guys,

i saw the same commercials as before, "powerful, portable, playbook"...just that i hadn't seen them for over a month, and i never saw them on cnbc until now...new commercials would be nice, but good to see some kind of attempt here...
    I'd much rather see "powerful, portable, professional, workbook" and yes may as well wait until 2.0 at this point.

How about "evolutionary" since it is evolving?
    10-11-11 01:02 PM
    Or if the commercials had actually focused on its strengths over other devices - instead a failed attempt to make it appear like something all the "cool" people use in i-XXX fashion -
    if the phone bridge were highlighted as the advantage that it is, advertised the phone/playbook combo as well, instead of a disadvantage (co-dependency issue and no native email) that Bah-silly shamefully let the interviewer get away with.

Honestly if they HAD made them codependent, the native email would not be an issue at all. in other words REQUIRE that they are co-dependent. You HAVE to have a BB phone to use it and here's what you get.... It only would have made i-people envious. Bridge is their one unique feature that sets this above all the rest (NO NEW DATA PLAN FOR 3G!) and they totally ignored it in marketing, as if they were ashamed of it.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-11-11 at 01:11 PM.
    10-11-11 01:05 PM
    Bridge is their one unique feature that sets this above all the rest (NO NEW DATA PLAN FOR 3G!) and they totally ignored it in marketing, as if they were ashamed of it.
    I think AT&T killed off marketing that advantage with what they have done with the bridge. They would have had to say it does this for everyone but AT&T, which would put AT&T in a bad light, and they are a partner with RIM. We know there are workarounds by doing the OTA, but RIM can't sanction that or advertise. They should have grown a pair with AT&T and forced the issue and let Playbook owners put pressure on AT&T. AT&T bends over backwards for Apple, RIM needs to stand up for itself.

RIM's marketing is, and has always been crap. They relied on carriers and word of mouth before mostly, and now the carriers aren't pushing Blackberry and the word of mouth isn't as great as it once was (putting it mildly). They need to go on the attack after 2.0 is released. Show what the Playbook can do compared to the competition. I for once would like for RIM to act like they care what is going on around them.
    10-11-11 02:04 PM
    I think AT&T killed off marketing that advantage with what they have done with the bridge. They would have had to say it does this for everyone but AT&T, which would put AT&T in a bad light, and they are a partner with RIM. We know there are workarounds by doing the OTA, but RIM can't sanction that or advertise. They should have grown a pair with AT&T and forced the issue and let Playbook owners put pressure on AT&T. AT&T bends over backwards for Apple, RIM needs to stand up for itself.

RIM's marketing is, and has always been crap. They relied on carriers and word of mouth before mostly, and now the carriers aren't pushing Blackberry and the word of mouth isn't as great as it once was (putting it mildly). They need to go on the attack after 2.0 is released. Show what the Playbook can do compared to the competition. I for once would like for RIM to act like they care what is going on around them.
    Couldn't agree more, on all counts. Hating AT&T big time for this. More than before.
    Who will recommend another carrier in Southern California for me? Not sure if the grass is truly greener on any other side.
    10-11-11 02:14 PM
    It costs money for a revised add campaign. Besides people are acting as if RIM is releasing a brand new tablet. Its just an upgrade version to an OS.

On the other issue I think RIM is miles ahead in marketing their product. They sold almost a million, yes almost a million playbook that is half its price after four month. The CEO, marketing etc did very nice to sell a tablet on empty promises and vaporware, so i would not say they are far behind apple when it comes to marketing.

The sad part is there are only sell so many units on empty promises; & given not every average consumer is a fanboi ultimately it is the product itself which decides if it will be successful or not.
    10-11-11 02:24 PM
    It costs money for a revised add campaign. Besides people are acting as if RIM is releasing a brand new tablet. Its just an upgrade version to an OS.

On the other issue I think RIM is miles ahead in marketing their product. They sold almost a million, yes almost a million playbook that is half its price after four month. The CEO, marketing etc did very nice to sell a tablet on empty promises and vaporware, so i would not say they are far behind apple when it comes to marketing.

The sad part is there are only sell so many units on empty promises; & given not every average consumer is a fanboi ultimately it is the product itself which decides if it will be successful or not.
    If true, that pretty much guarantees success then
    10-11-11 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD