new to the forums, my playbook latest os 1.0.6.2390, has a clicking noise from the speakers even when muted, the noise is loud sort of like when you turn the volume of something to high and the speakers cant handle it.

the noise is random, it sometimes happens when i do something or when i have all apps close and its just idling there.

anyone else have this?
    btw my playbook is the 64gb model with a slightly raised power button and the sticky outy rim logo if that helps
    06-26-11 11:04 PM
    32gig here and no such problems. Have you reboot/restarted your pb?
    06-26-11 11:56 PM
    i noticed that the keyboard feedback, even when fully turned up, does not make any noise. keyboard glitch maybe?

i have tried rebooting/restarting but after using the doc. editor it still happens.

only thing i havnt tried is hard reset or security wipe.
    06-27-11 12:39 AM
    it was the keyboard, a glitch in the os maybe, after restarting it works fine, until you type stuff for a while, then its like the sound is from the letters you type only it happens a while later, super keyboard lag?

since reset everything is fine.

it did not slow anything down but is really annoying
    06-27-11 02:09 AM
    Keep on trying any possibilities with the keyboard feedback or any other apps. If it still occurs, better return it asap. Also try to put your PB in distance with electronic with strong magnetic field. CMIIW
    Had the same experience once with my laptop, and it was actually a defect in the speaker and I got it replaced.
    06-27-11 05:40 AM
    This describes my problem exactly, only a hard reset didn't help. I'm thinking about taking it back to exchange but ive had it about a month already (should I go back to staples or call bb?).. I noticed the popping right away but was only using the pb intermittently and I was sort of trying to convince myself it is no big deal but finding it very annoying now and the 2.0 update didn't help. Anyone else having this problem? Did the OP have the problem come back? It definitely seems related to the keyboard as it happens often while typing. A simple fix would be awesome.
    Thanks All
    02-22-12 09:19 PM
    Yes, I seem to be experiencing this as well. Definitely related to text input--the first letter 'crackles' then if you pause for a bit, another 'crackle'. Like the speakers are turning on and off.

Doesn't happen in all apps though. Web browser is particularly noticeable. Sometimes just a swipe down from the top bezel for a menu has the same effect.

Pursuing with BlackBerry support. None of the recommendations so far have worked (hard reset, force software update.)

Otherwise, I love it, but that crackling sound is annoying, especially with headphones.
    11-29-12 12:26 AM
    Sounds like key clicks to me. Go into the settings Gear icon, tap keyboard and turn down keyboard feedback.
    11-29-12 12:43 PM
    Yes, thanks, that's almost the first thing I did, couldn't stand the default level of sound for key clicks when I first turned on the device. Feedback is turned all the way down, it still happens.

It even happens in some apps just accessing the top-bezel menu, without typing anything. In apps that don't use such a menu (Nodebeat), it doesn't happen. I can bring up the keyboard (out of context in Nodebeat), type, and it doesn't happen in Nodebeat. Bring up the keyboard out of context in other apps (like the browser), type, it still happens

Still waiting for a response from support other than reinstall everything, as that's already been done, and failed to resolve the problem. If it was just a speaker problem, it should happen all the time, everywhere, randomly. It doesn't, it does clearly seem related to key-clicks (but not in all apps) -- there's just no "Off" in the settings, only a slider to 0. Unfortunately, it still seems to be attempting to feedback zero volume through the speakers.
    11-29-12 03:23 PM
    And now I've been approved for a 'repair' -- except I'm almost certain it's a software/OS thing -- it does NOT happen in all apps with text input! But it does in most. With speaker volume to zero and keypad feedback slider to 'zero' also--still, the speakers come on, and turn off, predictably, after the first keypress, and then again after a certain delay after a keypress.
    11-30-12 10:57 AM
    And now I've been approved for a 'repair' -- except I'm almost certain it's a software/OS thing -- it does NOT happen in all apps with text input! But it does in most. With speaker volume to zero and keypad feedback slider to 'zero' also--still, the speakers come on, and turn off, predictably, after the first keypress, and then again after a certain delay after a keypress.
    If you can, I'd suggest that it appears as a periodic issue, try making a video of it acting up. I don't know if rim would review it if you can get it to them.
    11-30-12 11:37 AM
    Thanks--got a replacement from RIM, and it does exactly the same thing. So, now the replacement is on its way back to the factory, and I still have the original.

Another one I bought for the household, no such flaw detectable. Speakers, headphones are as silent as they should be with no volume on and keypad feedback turned down.

RIM support even had the audacity to suggest I'm imagining it! ("It would be very rare for two brand new PlayBooks to act this way.") Oh, would it indeed? Well, chalk one up for rarity, then.
    12-12-12 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD