Hey all you citrix users out there. I will be in the beta group for citrix receiver in pb. i inquired on a date for beta to start and they do not have one yet. Sooooooo........i assume it won't be anytime soon. Stay tuned.
    06-27-11 11:59 AM
    Probably waiting to see if the platform goes anywhere.

Citrix announced there would be a receiver for the PB, but considering the lack of initial sales, they may have changes their minds.
    06-27-11 12:50 PM
    Keep me in the loop
    06-27-11 01:41 PM
    Probably waiting to see if the platform goes anywhere.

Citrix announced there would be a receiver for the PB, but considering the lack of initial sales, they may have changes their minds.
    It seems like they were in the middle of development so I doubt they would quit now after investing in the PB. As of May 25th, they were saying it would soon be available. They are even planning on a version for WebOS and ChromeOS when they haven't sold squat yet. They may just be a bit delayed. They said in a comment on their blog post that they prefer to have the product working properly before release.
    06-27-11 02:20 PM
    Wasn't there a thread stating available at the end of June?
    06-27-11 02:34 PM
    From a meeting I had a few weeks ago, its expected in early August.
    06-27-11 02:38 PM
    Wasn't there a thread stating available at the end of June?
    That's what they said originally. I don't think they're ditching. Nothing for pb has come out as quickly as first predicted. I just wish there were more serious business apps.
    06-27-11 04:42 PM
    Who needs Citrix when there is Teamviewer for free?
    cranky_berry likes this.
    06-27-11 05:09 PM
    You're kidding right?

Leaving your virtual desktop up and running on physical hardware just so you can RDP to when you need to defeats the entire purpose of having virtual desktops.
    06-27-11 06:13 PM
    No I'm not kidding, I just don't know everything I humbly admit. Please explain. Citrix allows you to get to your office PC desktop when it is unpowered or off line? That's a trick I would like to hear more about. Maybe not - it sounds expensive - I will just leave my desktop up and running. Who needs a virtual desktop when I have my physical one up and running at all times lol.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-27-11 at 06:44 PM.
    06-27-11 06:41 PM
    We use it for more than just a share your desktop. We run several published apps that would never see dev for the playbook and are heavily relied on for our business. You have to think outside of your little PC box
    06-27-11 06:57 PM
    We use it for more than just a share your desktop. We run several published apps that would never see dev for the playbook and are heavily relied on for our business. You have to think outside of your little PC box
    So why can't I run a published app on my non-virtual desktop and view it on Teamviewer? I happen to need my little PC box UNVIRTUAL because of the UNVIRTUAL peripherals that are attached to it. Unless there are certain cloud based scanners and printers and other USB type devices you can suggest for me that are within reach of my non-virtual body.

Plus when the internet goes down or is out of reach... I still have a PC box and you don't have sh&*
    06-27-11 09:08 PM
    So why can't I run a published app on my non-virtual desktop and view it on Teamviewer? I happen to need my little PC box UNVIRTUAL because of the UNVIRTUAL peripherals that are attached to it. Unless there are certain cloud based scanners and printers and other USB type devices you can suggest for me that are within reach of my non-virtual body.

Plus when the internet goes down or is out of reach... I still have a PC box and you don't have sh&*
    Teamviewer works like crap on the PB. Sorry, thats true.
    06-27-11 09:13 PM
    Update on Citrix Blog as of yesterday:

Update 6/28/11: We hear you… Citrix Receiver for Playbook is under development and targeted for end of 3Q11 release.
    So, quite some time to go

Since all our applications are running on Citrix this is a big bummer for us.

Source:

Citrix Receiver and the RIM PlayBook | Citrix Blogs
    06-29-11 11:15 AM

Dude, why are you all worked up?? You can use what works for you. Citrix isn't for you if your company doesn't run a Citrix server, but is a great solution for those who do. It's not just a portal for remote access to a desktop, its a terminal server capable of serving up desktops to dozens or hundreds of connected clients. Imagine a dozen people that don't require a dedicated desktop pc, because they can use Citrix on their Playbook.

Teamviewer and Citrix are totally different animals, although you can do the same things as Teamviewer through Citrix. (RDP to desktop)
    Mojoski likes this.
    06-29-11 11:34 AM
    this is disspointing! it was scheduled to be released July, now end of September.
    06-29-11 01:05 PM
    Damn, that sucks. They must have decided to use a different SDK.
    06-29-11 01:33 PM
    Blackjack, you're thinking of Citrix more like rdp. Citrix for corporations is a lot more than just rdp. It is a way for corporations to host a number of applications at a central location versus every desktop and laptop, especially applications that require their databases to be sync'd at all times.

we had a Citrix farm (cluster of citrix servers) in Houston hosting a bunch of apps that could be accessed by all the offices in North America. Many of our users have laptops instead of desktops, and we take them home at night in case we need to do more work from home. With Citrix, I can just log onto the citrix farm in Houston and run my apps. Better yet, if a trader called and asked me for our position on a specific grade of crude for example, rather than take the time to power up my laptop and login (specially if I were out having dinner, watching a movie, etc), I would just use my BB Citrix app on my Torch, login, open the network hosted spreadsheet and pull up the data, all in just a few clicks. Imagine how much nicer that would be on the PlayBook.

Hope that gives a clearer picture of how Citrix is used in a corporate environment.
    06-29-11 02:27 PM
    Dude, why are you all worked up?? You can use what works for you. Citrix isn't for you if your company doesn't run a Citrix server, but is a great solution for those who do. It's not just a portal for remote access to a desktop, its a terminal server capable of serving up desktops to dozens or hundreds of connected clients. Imagine a dozen people that don't require a dedicated desktop pc, because they can use Citrix on their Playbook.

Teamviewer and Citrix are totally different animals, although you can do the same things as Teamviewer through Citrix. (RDP to desktop)
    Sorry I didn't mean to sound like I was worked up - I use caps for emphasis because I'm lazy and it came off wrong. I'm really just wondering if I'm missing something with the virtual stuff. I guess its not for everyone.
    06-29-11 03:55 PM
    Blackjack, you're thinking of Citrix more like rdp. Citrix for corporations is a lot more than just rdp. It is a way for corporations to host a number of applications at a central location versus every desktop and laptop, especially applications that require their databases to be sync'd at all times.

we had a Citrix farm (cluster of citrix servers) in Houston hosting a bunch of apps that could be accessed by all the offices in North America. Many of our users have laptops instead of desktops, and we take them home at night in case we need to do more work from home. With Citrix, I can just log onto the citrix farm in Houston and run my apps. Better yet, if a trader called and asked me for our position on a specific grade of crude for example, rather than take the time to power up my laptop and login (specially if I were out having dinner, watching a movie, etc), I would just use my BB Citrix app on my Torch, login, open the network hosted spreadsheet and pull up the data, all in just a few clicks. Imagine how much nicer that would be on the PlayBook.

Hope that gives a clearer picture of how Citrix is used in a corporate environment.
    Thanks I understand but what is rdp?
    06-29-11 03:56 PM
    Teamviewer works like crap on the PB. Sorry, thats true.
    How would you know if there is no Teamviewer app for PB? Are you using a browser? That requires a subscription so if you think it works like crap why pay the subscription? More details please this is very important to me as I am dependent on working in the field while accessing my office PC.

Thanks
    06-29-11 03:58 PM
    How do you Right-Click with Teamviewer on your playbook?
    06-29-11 04:08 PM
    How do you Right-Click with Teamviewer on your playbook?
    No idea - there's no app yet. But there is a mouse (bluetooth?) that I believe brings up a cursor... saw that on a video somewhere...I don't know if right click works or not in the teamviewer browser- anyone?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-29-11 at 09:51 PM.
    06-29-11 07:19 PM
    Have been using citrix on my 9700 with pretty much success. However documents get distorted when you zoom in. My company only allows access through citrix so I am anxiously awaiting.
    06-29-11 09:32 PM
    How would you know if there is no Teamviewer app for PB? Are you using a browser? That requires a subscription so if you think it works like crap why pay the subscription? More details please this is very important to me as I am dependent on working in the field while accessing my office PC.

Thanks
    yes I actually know some people at Teamviewer (product manager) and we have a full-service access.

It basically works, but it lags and stutters and doesn't appropriately scale to the screen etc. because its based on Flash and made for a "real" computer with mouse and keyboard.

I personally don't even think the Teamviewer app for iPad is all that great, but much better IMO.

The best solution, no doubt, is using a laptop of any kind. I personally use my MacBook Air 11" for this and of course it works perfectly fine.
    06-30-11 12:31 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD