Hi, I was just wondering whether anyone knew how to get a Cisco AnyConnect VPN client working on the PlayBook. I'm heading to China in a few weeks and would like to get past the Great Firewall of China.

I'm looking into the Cisco AnyConnect because that's the VPN I have easy access to but if anyone out there has any other suggestions for me that would be great! Thanks!
    04-24-11 05:52 PM
    would like an answer to this question as well
    04-24-11 05:59 PM
    I'm looking into it. I haven't found anything yet.
    04-25-11 10:44 AM
    Please let me know if you find anything. Thanks!
    04-25-11 12:44 PM
    bump! i'd love to get this functioning since the playbook isn't playing nice with my corporate ttls wifi and instead have to use to company guest network.
    04-25-11 01:51 PM
    I opened a support case with cisco
    04-26-11 09:04 AM
    The playbook has a native VPN "App" that supports many Cisco VPN types.

Last edited by Boots4283; 04-26-11 at 09:15 AM.
    artie likes this.
    04-26-11 09:06 AM
    The playbook has a native VPN "App" that supports many Cisco VPN types.
    +1. Go in the Security section and see if your companies VPN concentrator is supported.
    04-26-11 09:09 AM
    I don't see anyconnect. our company doesn't use those methods for clients. I could mickey mouse it and go against our standards but that's not what i want to do.
    04-26-11 09:16 AM
    we use anyconnect also but i dont think that is what the actual vpn technology is called. pretty sure you can configure your vpn with the built in vpn setup.
    04-26-11 01:21 PM
    I can't help with the AnyConnect issue specifically, but can say that our Cisco ASA works by manually entering the info required using the "Cisco ASA" Gateway Type.

AnyConnect is the client software your machines will use to connect to the VPN router. This drop down is asking for the type of router to which you are connecting.

So you need to find the router type your AnyCOnnect client connects and with some basic info you should be off to the races....
    04-27-11 08:42 AM
    Does the PB have the ability to make a PPTP VPN connection?
    Thanks
    04-27-11 08:58 AM
    Does the PB have the ability to make a PPTP VPN connection?
    Thanks
    Yes

10char
    Kerms likes this.
    04-27-11 09:05 AM
    Yes

10char
    Thanks that's good, very good, now if someone can get a good RDP client and EAS support we'll be in business
    04-27-11 09:16 AM
    Are the VPN gateway types the same as on a Blackberry phone? From that screenshot, it appears so.

Anyone know if Open VPN will be / is supported? Or is it even possible on the Playbook? Blackberry phones never had the option. And I'm not sure if a 3rd party app could add additional VPN types?
    04-27-11 09:16 AM
    Are the VPN gateway types the same as on a Blackberry phone? From that screenshot, it appears so.

Anyone know if Open VPN will be / is supported? Or is it even possible on the Playbook? Blackberry phones never had the option. And I'm not sure if a 3rd party app could add additional VPN types?
    As of right now, there are no good 3rd party apps for VPNs.
    04-27-11 09:24 AM
    I got this to work.

what I had to do is go in and create an EZVPN connection
    for group username I used the group name, and password I used the PSK

for username and password I used my Windows one because when I created it I told it to use radius for authentication.
    05-19-11 01:48 PM
    I have a Cisco ASA5510 running IPSEC and have been unsuccessful thus far getting it to work with the Playbook's VPN client. It should be known that our Firewall's software is 3 years old and will be getting updated next week. IDK if that will change anything but I'll let everyone know how I make out.

David
    05-20-11 08:21 PM
    I'm looking into it. I haven't found anything yet.
    Aware of any AnyConnect for Playbook.
    10-14-11 08:00 AM
    I was able to connect to corporate VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) using the Cisco ASA option. We use the PKI mode so I had to load up the root/personal certs into the "certs" share that shows up when you connect with USB to your computer.

The only gotcha was to make sure you load the certs into the correct Trusted/Personal class. We have a really locked down environment, so it's probably easier for other setups without the PKI stuff.
    12-27-11 11:20 PM
    I was able to connect to corporate VPN (Cisco AnyConnect) using the Cisco ASA option. We use the PKI mode so I had to load up the root/personal certs into the "certs" share that shows up when you connect with USB to your computer.

The only gotcha was to make sure you load the certs into the correct Trusted/Personal class. We have a really locked down environment, so it's probably easier for other setups without the PKI stuff.
    I do not see the certs directory when plugging up via USB. is your device rooted? are you using 2.0? My device is not rooted and i am using os 2.0.0.6149. using windows, all files/folder are configured to display (non hidden)
    12-29-11 03:26 PM
    nevermind...found the answer
    12-29-11 03:47 PM
    really would like a cisco anyconnect client for the playbook
    01-24-12 04:17 PM
    Cisco AnyConnect is an SSL VPN client. If your Cisco ASA is setup only for AnyConnect, then the Playbook is not an option unless there was an AnyConnect app released.

The Cisco VPN options in the Playbook are only for IPSEC VPN. If you use AnyConnect on a computer and you got it to work on your Playbook, it's because the ASA is allowing both SSL VPN and IPSEC.
    anon(3460513) and Kaacz like this.
    01-24-12 05:08 PM
    Cisco AnyConnect is an SSL VPN client. If your Cisco ASA is setup only for AnyConnect, then the Playbook is not an option unless there was an AnyConnect app released.

The Cisco VPN options in the Playbook are only for IPSEC VPN. If you use AnyConnect on a computer and you got it to work on your Playbook, it's because the ASA is allowing both SSL VPN and IPSEC.
    Right, we need a Cisco AnyConnect application for the playbook, the ipad has one
    01-25-12 06:28 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD