Good afternoon,

With the price drop on the Playbook I am considering one for my wife for Christmas. She's not a BB user so couldn't care less about supporting BB vs the others and won't have the Bridge functionality. (She loved her Palm Pre's and now has a Droid Pro that she's happy with.) I have a BB so would appreciate the compatibility but this is a gift for her, not me.

Looking for some suggestions on whether I should go with the Playbook or a Touchpad. The Kindle Fire looks nice but from what I'm reading I think it may be rather limited and she doesn't use Amazon for anything.

I think her primary uses will be web browsing, email, facebook, and the occasional light word processing/spreadsheets. Basically, rather than lugging the laptop out to the porch with her coffee I can see her liking the convenience of a tablet.

From some of the reviews it sounds like the small size of the Playbook makes the internet experience not so enjoyable. Touchpad may be better there.

I don't know if she'll like typing on the touchscreen but if she does, and wants to do her emails on the tablet, the lack of an email app may be an issue? I know she can log in to Gmail via the web but if the keyboard takes up half the screen it may be tough to use the web version.

Since HP no longer supports WebOS her choice of apps would be rather limited on the Touchpad. She's not a big app user but it would be nice to have the option as apps are developed for the Playbook (and soon Android correct?)

If anyone's used both the Touchpad and Playbook I'd love some recommendations. Primary usage being web browsing, email, and facebook.
    principal likes this.
    11-20-11 09:43 AM
    Interesting....never seen that. Basically an Android tablet? I'll have to look up some reviews. Hardware and all that as nice as Playbook?
    11-20-11 09:50 AM
    For wordy email, I use the PB in portrait. I find it easy to type with thumbs in portrait mode as well. Keyboard vs screen real estate is not an issue for me. Even when in landscape I have gotten used to it.

I can't comment on Playbook vs alternatives, but I bought one for my wife(who uses it similarly to yours) and she loves it.
    11-20-11 09:56 AM
    The Vox seems to be the underdog compared to the Fire and Nook

Analysis: Kindle Fire, Nook Tablet, Kobo Vox - Computerworld
    11-20-11 10:00 AM
    Get the playbook. You don't need a bb phone & bridge but as you said you have bb and you'll love the 'anywhere' access to internet and email (when you and your wife are together and Ex. when you travel). I found the bluetooth range between the phone and pb to be around 30 feet (max).

I don't know where you're reading about the browser experience not being good, overall I really like the browser - much better than any smartphone

The on-screen keyboard is great, if you need more screen space hold it in portrait mode - it's also more comfortable for typing

Reading books is a pleasure with the pb. For now, Kobo would be the easiest way to get books, Kobo is very good

Reading news papers with the PressReader app is excellent (newspapers from all over the world)

You can video chat, sound is excellent, great HD video recording, beautiful screen

And the UI swipe-OS is the best on the market, you'll learn how to use this device in 10 minutes, that's it, no complicated manuals, and a major OS upgrade (you'll get access to Android apps) is coming in February...
    Last edited by anthogag; 11-20-11 at 10:54 AM.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    11-20-11 10:52 AM
    Good afternoon,
    With the price drop on the Playbook I am considering one for my wife for Christmas. She's not a BB user so couldn't care less about supporting BB.....
    I think her primary uses will be web browsing, email, facebook, and the occasional light word processing/spreadsheets. Basically, rather than lugging the laptop out to the porch with her coffee I can see her liking the convenience of a tablet.
    From some of the reviews it sounds like the small size of the Playbook makes the internet experience not so enjoyable. Touchpad may be better there.
    Since HP no longer supports WebOS her choice of apps would be rather limited on the Touchpad. She's not a big app user but it would be nice to have the option as apps are developed for the Playbook (and soon Android correct?)
    If anyone's used both the Touchpad and Playbook I'd love some recommendations. Primary usage being web browsing, email, and facebook.
    Don't buy the playbook. It literally has the.worst apps.It would take years for playbook apps to catch up.As for android apps you never know what it will do or not do. Rim initially said its going to be 60days then said summer then october and now february..so who knows. Browsing experience is bad--you can't even re arrange favoites. there is no find functions for websites., As for email there are no native email , so you have to log into Six different accounts etc.
    Overall playboom is a seven month old discouned useless tablet, so there is no poimt buying it.
    11-20-11 11:04 AM
    Robtanz,

If you have to do a significant amount of emails do you find portrait mode and web email a convenient option or is it more of a pain than it's worth.
    11-20-11 11:16 AM
    Overall playboom is a seven month old discouned useless tablet, so there is no poimt buying it.
    That's the key words that discount this opinion. OP try out each one and "test drive" a PB at home since finding anyone knowledgeable or one operable in the store can be challenging. FYI: Staples has no restocking fees. They are all tablets and not currently complete laptop replacements.....portability/convenience and thousands of apps may or may not matter to some enthusiasts
    11-20-11 11:21 AM
    Quality not quantity...there are many very good (useful) apps in App World and more to come, great games, apps for children

The playbook actually surpasses other current tablets for ease of use (Ex. switching between running apps is a breeze)...think about how many times you'll use the device...an easy UI is important for sanity
    11-20-11 11:24 AM
    Well bb.pl has put their 2 cents in they put in on every thread about the playbook you can believe them or not.

Since your wife has an android phone maybe an android would be a better choice? I don't know how well they integrate with each other.

As far as email I don't even use the bridge email from my phone and I don't care about getting my email on the phone either as I have my email, not corporate, not 10 accounts. I have a couple personal accounts I check thru the browser when I want to.

I do have older eyes and wear reading glasses when using it and have no problem with the size, can you imagine what I do when trying to surf on my phone? The keyboard is fine for things I do and of course you know about spell check, auto correct and the like.

Apps are coming all the time and yes an android player is coming also, not sure how well it will work.

This current playbook may be discontinued, replaced or whatever but it will still get OS updates and enhancement for awhile yet.

Maybe your wife should try some of the different ones. Obviously not everyone likes or needs the same things.
    11-20-11 11:31 AM
    Why don't you take your wife down to the stores and let her demo the different tablets to see which one she feels better using.

Every one has there own preferences, just like buying a car, you would want to test drive it first.
    11-20-11 11:31 AM
    Anyone use a touchpad? Interested inthe experience compared to Playbook.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-20-11 11:32 AM
    Why don't you take your wife down to the stores and let her demo the different tablets to see which one she feels better using.

Every one has there own preferences, just like buying a car, you would want to test drive it first.
    Because I'm on a deployment and want to surprise her. She won't care enough about the difeerences to go out herslef and really compare all the options.

11-20-11 11:38 AM
    I disagree. If you own a PlayBook, you've notice there has been a slew of quality released apps and it keeps coming in everyday. I'm very impress by the number of selection and if you notice there hasn't been many complaints of not having enough apps besides the wish list of netflix, skype and amazon.

Don't buy the playbook. It literally has the.worst apps.It would take years for playbook apps to catch up.As for android apps you never know what it will do or not do. Rim initially said its going to be 60days then said summer then october and now february..so who knows. Browsing experience is bad--you can't even re arrange favoites. there is no find functions for websites., As for email there are no native email , so you have to log into Six different accounts etc.
    To the op, WebOS is being discontinued because HP is giving up. The Touchpad is on the brink of extinction and there will no longer be any support or updates. It is what it is.

Compared to my Motorola Zoom the PB Browser makes Android browser like child's play. Android browser isn't as great as people think.

On the plus side, RIM clearly state that they are not discontinuing their PlayBook and OS 2 is on the way so you will continue to have support.

While the price is hot, I would highly suggest snagging one for your wife immediately before they run out of stock before Christmas.
    Last edited by thymaster; 11-20-11 at 11:52 AM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-20-11 11:49 AM
    Because I'm on a deployment and want to surprise her. She won't care enough about the difeerences to go out herslef and really compare all the options.

Thanks for clairfing your position.
    This statement would be good to add/edit to your original opening thread, for others to know.

Do you have a playbook? Would you want to video chat with her?
    blemoon42 and blemoon42 like this.
    11-20-11 11:55 AM
    A few people in this forum say the pb might be discontinued.....

But RIM, so far, has always stated they have no plans to discontinue the pb....why would they...they're in the tablet market now....why would they shut-that-down....this strategy of lower prices is surely to sell more devices to attract app developers
    11-20-11 12:03 PM
    On deployment - definitely Playbook. Video 2 way!
    11-20-11 12:11 PM
    Don't cheap out get her an iPad. It's for your wife!
    11-20-11 01:01 PM
    Robtanz,

If you have to do a significant amount of emails do you find portrait mode and web email a convenient option or is it more of a pain than it's worth.
    I don't usually use web email. I am usually bridged. But I find portrait mode easy to type with as it seems better spaced for my thumbs.
    11-20-11 01:04 PM
    Kindle Fire. It comes with basic features like native email, auto correct that are lacking in the PB. And an app store with most of the big name apps like hulu and netflix. With PB, it seems like u are always waiting on RIM to get their shiz together.
    11-20-11 02:05 PM
    Went ahead and picked up the Playbook for my wife. Figured at the $199 price it was my best option. Now, being the good husband, I have to play with it to make sure it's working. So far, I love this thing. The size is perfect. Small enough to really be portable but still big enough to enjoy the web. I also like that it's small enough to effectively thumb type.

Bridge works great. Very impressed with the speed of the Bridge browser. This will be a great option when wifi isn't available and no extra tethering fees makes it a huge advantage over the competition. Granted, she doesn't have a BB but when we're traveling together I think the bridge will be really handy.

I am very impressed with the Gmail web interface. Although it's not an email app the web interface works just like an app (preview window on the right and inbox on the left that scroll separately, etc.) I really don't see any need to have a stand alone email app when the browser version works this well.

I'm a little disappointed in the bridge calendar. I was hoping with the nice big screen that the month view showed text rather than just boxes for appointments. That's one thing I really miss from my EVO is the ability to look at the month and see an overview of all my appointments. Certainly if it worked on a screen the size of an EVO it could work on a Playbook.

Overall, I think she'll like it. If not, I'm probably keeping it for me.
    11-25-11 10:32 AM
    Went ahead and picked up the Playbook for my wife. Figured at the $199 price it was my best option. Now, being the good husband, I have to play with it to make sure it's working. So far, I love this thing. The size is perfect. Small enough to really be portable but still big enough to enjoy the web. I also like that it's small enough to effectively thumb type.

Bridge works great. Very impressed with the speed of the Bridge browser. This will be a great option when wifi isn't available and no extra tethering fees makes it a huge advantage over the competition. Granted, she doesn't have a BB but when we're traveling together I think the bridge will be really handy.

I am very impressed with the Gmail web interface. Although it's not an email app the web interface works just like an app (preview window on the right and inbox on the left that scroll separately, etc.) I really don't see any need to have a stand alone email app when the browser version works this well.

I'm a little disappointed in the bridge calendar. I was hoping with the nice big screen that the month view showed text rather than just boxes for appointments. That's one thing I really miss from my EVO is the ability to look at the month and see an overview of all my appointments. Certainly if it worked on a screen the size of an EVO it could work on a Playbook.

Overall, I think she'll like it. If not, I'm probably keeping it for me.
    For gmail I like to scroll the left side up and choose html. You might like the default better though.
    11-25-11 10:43 AM
    "Don't buy it - it doesn't have Angry Birds...."

If I see another post like this I'm going to f'ing scream.

The PlayBook is great, especially if you have a BlackBerry phone. The fact that you don't have to buy another internet subscription service (it uses your BB) is worth the price of admission alone There are plenty of games to keep people who like that busy (I especially like the Bejeweled 2 game). Pretty much all of the Electronic Arts games are top notch.

I like that it doesn't have Angry Birds...stupid game.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-25-11 04:14 PM
    Wow, wished I had read this post befor spending all my hard earned dough on PB's. I knew I should have gotten that Toys 'r Us Napi Kids Tablet for $199.00.
    11-25-11 04:28 PM
    The OP definitely made the right tablet choice. Just tested my friends brand new Kindle Fire on company wifi at work. The browser was very laggy and was challenged to open up google or yahoo....gave up opening crackberry as it just seemed to strain and get tied up in knots. I had expected a better showing of web performance from this Fire since it was not exactly a difficult test. PB has nothing to fear about the Fire and definitely no Fire for me.
    Last edited by AggreX; 11-25-11 at 05:02 PM.
    11-25-11 04:59 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD