I just have to say, I really don't mind the power button. On my iPad, the button was always too sensitive, on the PlayBook I don't have to worry about the screen turning off without actually intending to turn it off. For actual power off or restart I use the power icon.
    04-24-11 03:49 PM
    why is everyone still crying over the power button? Just press it, it's that easy. the Playbook has so much more to offer than the power button, good lord!
    If you have a raised button, you will not feel the pain. I love rim products but I will have to return my pb due to the flush power button. It is true, I don't want a defective(or poorly designed) playbook just because of the button.
    Rim follow lots of concepts from apple, it's a good try, and playbook should've been better.
    04-24-11 03:51 PM
    So my pre-order from Office Depot was a 64GB model with a raised power button, but it had a dead pixel! So I exchanged it in store and got a new one with a defect free screen, but on this one the power button is flush...

I was thinking about how to fix this easily and stopped by Wal-Mart on the way home and grabbed some puffy craft paint. The stuff I got asks you to hit it with steam from an iron, but I did find a better alternative online:

Tulip Dimensional Fabric Paint 1-1/4 Ounces-Puffy-Red

It's a cheap easy fix and works great! I put a tiny drop on there and then hit it with a hair dryer to help it along. Give it 4 hours and it's ready to go... Be gentle on it for the first few days, but then it should be set for good!

These are the ones I picked up at Wal-Mart, and the pink is a good match for a power button, it's more of a magenta when all balled up. Works for me for now: Amazon.com: Tulip 3D Fashion Paint 1-1/4 Ounces 6/Pkg - Puffy: Toys & Games

The puffy paint has a nice rubber feel to it and is thick enough you can ball it up on top of the button. Kinda crappy we have to do something like this, but for people otherwise happy with their device, it's a few bucks and should last for quite a while...
    And when the stuff deteriorates and tiny particles fall in the gap around the power button and ruin your device, don't come crying to us.
    04-24-11 05:33 PM
    I'm one of those people that are having a problem with my power button also. It's flush and I have to press down hard enough that I feel the plastic around the button also indents just to get the button pressed. I'm concerned after a while I'll have a crack around the button, actually, I know it will eventually happen.

Are there different kinds of power buttons depending on the PB you get? Turning the screen off using the icon doesn't bother me, although I would prefer to have immediate access. But, it's turning it on that is very difficult. I often have to try 2-3 times and really don't like how hard I have to force my finger...

People saying this is a ridiculous complaint makes me wonder if there are different buttons. Because everyone would have a difficult time pressing mine. It is the ONLY problem I have found that really annoys me. The OS, I'm looking forward to it's maturing and do wish the finger swipe scrolling would work as well as my wife's iPad2.
    04-24-11 05:52 PM
    Others, like myself have a hard time getting the button to press, it's a good thing I have nails. There's no need to get all cranky about this post, it's actually a good idea. I DO realize there's a icon to power off the device, but sometimes the actual power button WILL be needed. Suck it up, it's an issue, can't deny that!

OP, thanks for the suggestion
    Solution: sharpen those nails to a point!
    04-24-11 06:08 PM
    You know what! I just realized you can turn it on with a swipe! Duhhhhh.

Changes everything, they could still fix the button, but as long as I'm not using every day. I don't care anymore
    04-24-11 06:09 PM
    There's nothing wrong with having a flush power button, 95% of Crackberrians and 3rd-party reviewers just have sausage fingers.
    bpdude likes this.
    04-24-11 06:35 PM
    this post was not whining... OP actually gave a solution to his problem instead of whining u big ****.
    Like I said... laughable
    04-25-11 12:54 AM
    Wow, seriously I came back to this thread thinking, "No way something as dumb as this thread would generate very much convo over it." But this thread is 85% hate and discontent! If you'd like to try something simple to fix your power button being hard to press, here's an idea! That's about all this was, not complaining, not crabbing, just sharing an idea for someone who really likes their device and would like a quick fix.

FWIW, those complaining about it cracking off and falling in my device and ending the world could contribute with an alternative solution rather then asking me not to come crying when my world is in shambles... Seriously, if you worry about this, use a dot of hot glue or something that you can live with yourself at night and enjoy a raised power button.

Done with my rant, but seriously the PB forums are just teeming with tension. Maybe best to go spend my time in some Warfare with Ummie. (I'll be back in soon, per BBM status I've had something eating up my time ) In a few weeks hopefully the temps in here will be back to normal.
    04-25-11 02:25 AM
    The new OS update now has an on screen power button. It is red and works well.
    04-25-11 02:38 AM
    The new OS update now has an on screen power button. It is red and works well.
    Yes, but I think most people are asking about Standby, we all know that there is a Power Icon, and you may Turn off and Restart, but what about Sleep?

Cheers,
    04-25-11 02:40 AM
    Yes, but I think most people are asking about Standby, we all know that there is a Power Icon, and you may Turn off and Restart, but what about Sleep?

Cheers,
    Oh. I let mine time out or I hit the power button on top. To wake it up, I swipe.
    04-25-11 02:43 AM
    No problem with the power button for me either. Easy to press, works right away...............
    04-25-11 01:58 PM
    Like I said... laughable
    No it's not. It is an annoyance for most.
    04-27-11 11:43 AM
    why the F are people complaining about the flush button? I personally love it and I have big sausage fingers. I like that when im listening to my music or whatever, if I hit the volume buttons, i dont accidently hit the power button. Going flush was a brilliant idea for rim as this gives the PB a better more rounded feel all around. You guys are just being a bunch of bishes complaining about everything. If RIM didn't release the review units with power buttons raised, would you whiners still complained about this? I highly doubt it. Suck it up butter cups
    04-27-11 11:52 AM
    why the F are people complaining about the flush button? I personally love it and I have big sausage fingers. I like that when im listening to my music or whatever, if I hit the volume buttons, i dont accidently hit the power button. Going flush was a brilliant idea for rim as this gives the PB a better more rounded feel all around. You guys are just being a bunch of bishes complaining about everything. If RIM didn't release the review units with power buttons raised, would you whiners still complained about this? I highly doubt it. Suck it up butter cups
    The issue is when you use a case with it. Try hitting the power button via the Blackberry Convertible case.
    04-27-11 11:56 AM
    The issue is when you use a case with it. Try hitting the power button via the Blackberry Convertible case.
    ok using a case is a different story then. Not using the case its a whole different story and as mentioned in other posts, swiping the screen wakes up the PB, but for hard resets i guess it would be more of a pain
    04-27-11 12:04 PM
    If your fingers are too fat to use the PB button, you need to either go on a diet or buy an ipad.
    04-27-11 12:36 PM
    If your fingers are too fat to use the PB button, you need to either go on a diet or buy an ipad.
    Hahahahha I totally agree
    04-27-11 12:37 PM
    Dangit !

Why are there so many Idiots trying to Dismiss the Issues with the Power Button?!?
    My Replacement Playbook's power button is SO Bad, that that Plastic Bezel is coming apart!! It's completely Unacceptable!

WTF was RIM Thinking when they let this fly out of the Factory?!?!?
    And yet, they are selling this as a 'Professional Tablet'. What is Professional about having no Quality Control??
    12-31-11 03:48 AM
    I like the flush button, but then again have only had to press it maybe 3 times since april.
    12-31-11 05:57 AM
    Well I have read several of the threads on the Power Button. Glad to know I am not the only one with the problem. Its also discouraging to know that such a simple problem and RIM has it.
    From what I have gathered from the masses is a lot of people don't even use the power button. And they seem to have hard feelings towards people that do use something that was put there for a reason......don't know what that is all about.
    Anyways, has anyone tried one of these easy fixes with the use of a case? They seem to be a good idea.....and I am in need for one of these fixes. A month and a half and its already being a PITA to press the button when I am using my Otterbox case.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-01-12 09:13 PM
    i do this crazy difficult thing to turn my playbook off. click the power icon and then,standbye, shut off or restart.... i know so difficult.... i don't think i have touched hardware power button in over a month and don't understand why people would need to other than to force a restart with the power vol up and down at the same time.(which was what i had to use it for a month ago)
    01-01-12 09:28 PM
    Mine is slightly raised so I dont have that issue.
    01-01-12 09:29 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD