Hi,
    My playbook (16GB, WLAN-model, running latest 2.1-SW) came with the Playbook stock charger that works OK so far.

Since I'm taking my Playbook to the office every day I want to be able to charge it at the office; with charging I mean *real* charging not just the standard USB "trickle charge" at 500mA.

So I went out to buy me a high-power USB-charger and finally got me a 12W Apple charger since this privides 2.4A output, more than enough to charge the Playbook requiring 2.1A peak.

However when I use this charger to charge the playbook it basically does nothing (no bolt on the display to indicate charging) - tried different USB cables, re-seating the plug, disconnecting/reconnecting cables - no way.

I also tried to used it for charging my Bold9900; I only get a notice here saying that the power source doesn't provide enough power.

Finally I hooked up the charger to my Z10 - it charged without problems so far.

So my questions are:

• Has the Playbook any special pinout when it comes to charging signalling to the charger it's ready for "more juice"?
    • Shouldn't a charger being capable of running at 2.4A deliver 2.A peak to any device?
    • Is there any special "signalling" when it comes to USB-charging between charger and device to be charged where they agree on the charging current - defaulting to 500mA probably?
    • Any other ideas as to why I can't charge my playbook with this charger?

BTW, the charger seems to be OK so far since I's able to charge other devices.

Thanks much in advance for any clue.
    05-24-13 03:54 AM
    I have encountered similar problems with several Apple chargers with USB output in the past but I have no idea why. I suspect the cause may be more in the cable you use, and/or the charger's ability to recognise connected devices and deliver useful charging current. Your guess about signalling might be correct but it would be very difficult to prove without pointless destruction of a cable or charger.
    05-24-13 04:09 AM
    Since BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 we're no longer able to charge with USB charger, I think it has to do with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 04:23 AM
    Make or buy a charge only USB cable.
    A charge only cable has the Data+ and Data- wires shorted at the device end of the cable and open at the charger end.
    I made one using a USB extension.

Playbook end: Charging Playbook with 2.1A-charger - no way...-usb_wire.png :Charger end
    amablek likes this.
    05-24-13 07:20 AM
    Search Amazon for Sprint PlayBook car charger. It works beautifully and also charges any phone rapidly. I believe these were made for the then PlayBook 3g that was supposed to launch on sprint but never happened of course.
    05-24-13 08:03 AM
    If memory serves me right, I remember reading that Apple uses non-standard USB charging in their chargers, so it won't work to use an apple ipad cube. I'd be interested to know if one can just fashion/buy a cable which makes it usable as I do have an iPad charger at home which I would love to use to charge my device on the weekend. (have the PB charger at work)
    05-24-13 08:54 AM
    I thought someone posted a link to a dual package of dock and travel rapid charger at Amazon but at this time I quickly found:

Travel rapid

Amazon.com: Blackberry Rapid Travel Charger for Playbook - Retail Packaging - Black: Computers & Accessories

It was initally almost $70

Oh, here's the dual deal - I don't know anything other than the link

http://www.amazon.com/Blackberry-Rap...bUvbUpU8536818

I am not keen on the dock as the pb generally has to be out of any case (some will work)
    05-24-13 09:58 AM
    Since BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1 we're no longer able to charge with USB charger, I think it has to do with BlackBerry PlayBook OS 2.1

Posted via CB10
    It WILL still charge on USB, sloooowly, and NO lightning bolt, but it will charge.

C
    05-24-13 10:22 AM
    If memory serves me right, I remember reading that Apple uses non-standard USB charging in their chargers, so it won't work to use an apple ipad cube. I'd be interested to know if one can just fashion/buy a cable which makes it usable as I do have an iPad charger at home which I would love to use to charge my device on the weekend. (have the PB charger at work)
    I explained how to make a cable two posts above yours.
    Devices check the chargers abilities using the data wires in the USB cable.
    If the device can't determine whether it is connected to a charger or a computer it will only draw a minimal current, ~100 mA.
    If you short the data wires, on the device end of the cable, the device uses as much current as it can handle from the charger.

iDevices (iPad, iPhone) do this a little differently. They look for voltage on the data lines and adjust current according to the voltage they detect.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    05-24-13 03:17 PM
    That is completely false. It has been explained several times on the forum.
    05-24-13 03:19 PM
    See Blackberry Know,edge Base Reference kb-27705.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...pl#documentTop

BB PB charger cord has data wires shorted together. Apple as usual is going their own way and has a special way to allow the device to recognize the charger.
    05-24-13 03:34 PM