I noticed that the charger that comes with the PB is much larger than the ones for my BlackBerry Phones. I still haven't tried it out yet because I have chargers strategically placed throughout my house where i can plug it in almost anywhere I need, but I notice it charges slow as heck with the phone's chargers. Should I be using the charger that came with the PB?
    04-25-11 11:01 AM
    dont use a phone charger on a playbook. the phone chargers are rated for about half the current of the PB charger. you will have issues if you use a phone charger. like underpowering and likely cooking your playbook.

they gave you a bigger charger for a reason. use it
    gregorylkelly likes this.
    04-25-11 11:19 AM
    Is it really going to hurt the PB or is it just gonna charge slower?

Also, can I charge my phones using the PB charger without hurting them?
    04-25-11 11:23 AM
    What about the other way around? Using the PB charger to charge a BB phone?

Tim
    04-25-11 11:24 AM
    The output voltage is the same. Just because it looks "bigger" doesn't mean anything. I have seen a lot of different sizes and shapes and all are the same.
    04-25-11 11:29 AM
    Is it really going to hurt the PB or is it just gonna charge slower?

Also, can I charge my phones using the PB charger without hurting them?
    You can think of the PB charger as sort of a super charger. It will charge both devices much quicker.
    Next stage in mobile device battery tech: rapid charging | ZDNet
    04-25-11 11:31 AM
    The output voltage is the same. Just because it looks "bigger" doesn't mean anything. I have seen a lot of different sizes and shapes and all are the same.
    The output voltage is the same but the amperage isn't. The PB charger puts out 1.8A to the regular BB charger's 0.7A. Using a lower amp charger will not damage or "cook" anything, it will just draw slower. Conversely, you can use the PB charger to quickly charge your BB, which has been confirmed and promoted by RIM.
    04-25-11 12:08 PM
    Using a phone charger is fine. It simply charges the PlayBook slower. For those who are saying it "hurts" the PlayBook. Please do your research before posting lies.
    rheostaticsfan and lando989 like this.
    04-25-11 12:10 PM
    Using the PB charger on my phone charges much faster than the normal charger (:
    04-25-11 12:21 PM
    Using the PB charger on my phone charges much faster than the normal charger (:
    The output voltage is the same but the amperage isn't. The PB charger puts out 1.8A to the regular BB charger's 0.7A. Using a lower amp charger will not damage or "cook" anything, it will just draw slower. Conversely, you can use the PB charger to quickly charge your BB, which has been confirmed and promoted by RIM.
    Considering l'm an engineer, an electrical one at that, I should know what I'm talking about.

Charging at lower currents, or trickle charging will not hurt the PB. However, powering it with lower current will damage it. So if you're multi tasking, web browsing over wifi, with the screen at full brightness and the PB is demanding 1 amp while you supply it 0.7, you will damage it. You will however have no issues using the PB charger on a phone.
    04-25-11 02:36 PM
    Considering l'm an engineer, an electrical one at that, I should know what I'm talking about.

Charging at lower currents, or trickle charging will not hurt the PB. However, powering it with lower current will damage it. So if you're multi tasking, web browsing over wifi, with the screen at full brightness and the PB is demanding 1 amp while you supply it 0.7, you will damage it. You will however have no issues using the PB charger on a phone.
    Do we know by a fact that when connected to the power cord the playbook is drawing from the power cord and not the battery? If that is the case, then i can see how it could damage, but unlike laptops, which come with major bricks on the chargers, the playbook and alikes most likely always draw from the battery and the power cord is just charging. That is just my theory though, i don't really know...
    05-07-11 07:44 AM

Wouldn't the PB just shut down from low power once the battery gets low and the charger can't keep up? I don't understand how your scenario would work in real life...
    05-07-11 12:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD