I decided to put my PlayBook on charge this morning despite being at 65% as I have a meeting later this afternoon and I'll be using it for a presentation. It's been on the charging dock since 8:30 this morning. At 1:30 I thought I'd pack it up in preparation to leaving and I noticed the charge light was still amber and still flashing. I powered the PlayBook up and instead of being charged it had fallen from 65% to 40%. I checked the dock's pins and they are clean and straight. I'm wondering if this is due to the recent update or if there's something seriously screwy with my PB. Fortunately all the info I need to make the presentation is on my laptop but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the convenience of a tablet.
    02-14-13 12:46 PM
    3 finger reboot. If that doesn't solve it you should try adjustment with the PlayBook and dock. Sometimes that dock gets finicky.
    FF22 and Jonesy1966 like this.
    02-14-13 12:57 PM
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting..
    Maybe we should wake you in January - NEXT January!
    02-14-13 03:50 PM
    I have problems with the charging dock (I have three of them, strategically placed by my bed, end table in the living room and on my desk at work) and the one thing in common is dirty contacts, either on the device or the dock pins themselves. Take a pencil eraser and gently rub the contacts...the PB's are sharp and pointy, and will trash the eraser a bit, so finding the right amount of effort is a learned skill. Same for the dock's, but for different reasons...they're slightly recessed. Brush the shavings away, and you should be good to go. A little alcohol on a cotton swab seems to help, too, but I don't recommend using fluids to clean unless it's absolutely necessary.

It's possible that the contacts are clean enough to have the device report that it's charging, but it's not. A strong recommendation is to buy Battery Guru, which will display just how much it's charging, or whether it even is...along with other helpful data.
    curve-20 and Jonesy1966 like this.
    02-14-13 09:28 PM
    I decided to put my PlayBook on charge this morning despite being at 65% as I have a meeting later this afternoon and I'll be using it for a presentation. It's been on the charging dock since 8:30 this morning. At 1:30 I thought I'd pack it up in preparation to leaving and I noticed the charge light was still amber and still flashing. I powered the PlayBook up and instead of being charged it had fallen from 65% to 40%. I checked the dock's pins and they are clean and straight. I'm wondering if this is due to the recent update or if there's something seriously screwy with my PB. Fortunately all the info I need to make the presentation is on my laptop but it's amazing how quickly you get used to the convenience of a tablet.
    Besides the good advice already given, also check to see if one of the pins is stuck. Sometimes the springloaded pins will stick. Get a paper clip and with the end gently depress and release the pin in question. Make sure it has come back up to the level as the others. I've not had that happen to mine yet as I keep them cleaned and lubed with electrical contact lube, but one at work did it.

Also, just a reminder, it's not necessary to do the three buttons reset. Pressing the power and ( + ) volume button accomplishes the very same thing and is a lot easier. Pressing the (-) volume has proven to be unnecessary for a hard reset. I guarantee it's exactly the same.

Edit : Sorry, I missed where you said the pins are straight, which I gather to mean that they're level. Try the hard reset. Good luck.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-15-13 01:08 AM
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I've done pretty much everything that everyone suggested. When I got home from my presentation I decided to try charging with the usual USB wall charger. All was well as the LED finally shone green and when I booted it up it showed 100% charge. Checked again this morning and it was down to 15% without being used and with being switched off in the interim. I'm at a loss as to what's going on but I'm heading to the office now and I don't have the time to figure it out.

Thanks once again, everyone!
    02-15-13 07:09 AM
    Thanks everyone for the advice, I've done pretty much everything that everyone suggested. When I got home from my presentation I decided to try charging with the usual USB wall charger. All was well as the LED finally shone green and when I booted it up it showed 100% charge. Checked again this morning and it was down to 15% without being used and with being switched off in the interim. I'm at a loss as to what's going on but I'm heading to the office now and I don't have the time to figure it out.

Thanks once again, everyone!
    When you say switched off do you mean in standby or turned off? If in standby was it in airplane mode or were Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth on? Was it attached to either charger? If you put it in airplane mode with only Battery Guru running you should get down to 0.06 watts. If you don't something may be running in the background. Battery use of 85% in 10 hours amounts to a power use of 1.7 watts which is quite a bit with the screen off.

Suggest first trying restart selected from icon under the battery icon. You can also get Advanced App Manager from BB World which help friend and kill misbehaving apps. Battery Guru will be very helpful in all off this. The OS upgrade could be involved in that it changed the way your notifications such as email, calendar etc. work.

If all that doesn't work more drastic measures may be required.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-15-13 02:46 PM
    Yeah, if the drain is all due to the upgrade (noting that this is at the moment a rare, if not unique, issue) then maybe re-installing the OS, after backing up the device's data, by doing a security wipe...but I'd do a soft reset and hard reset first, of course
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-15-13 09:19 PM
    See thread

"Email not working after recent update"

bdillon
    CrackBerry Newbie
    Posts4 Posts
    Yesterday,*08:05 PM
    #2**
    Same here after the update. Lose Sent messages, don't get all messages. Reset passwords on email accounts, ok for a while then all went bad again. Hard reset helped for a while. Still problems and now battery dies after 8hours on standby. Used to be good for a couple of days"

Note battery problem.
    Jonesy1966 likes this.
    02-15-13 11:13 PM
    When you say switched off do you mean in standby or turned off? If in standby was it in airplane mode or were Wi-Fi and/or Bluetooth on? Was it attached to either charger? If you put it in airplane mode with only Battery Guru running you should get down to 0.06 watts. If you don't something may be running in the background. Battery use of 85% in 10 hours amounts to a power use of 1.7 watts which is quite a bit with the screen off.

Suggest first trying restart selected from icon under the battery icon. You can also get Advanced App Manager from BB World which help friend and kill misbehaving apps. Battery Guru will be very helpful in all off this. The OS upgrade could be involved in that it changed the way your notifications such as email, calendar etc. work.

If all that doesn't work more drastic measures may be required.
    I'm pretty old school when it comes to devices, I've been using one of one design or another since the early 80's so all my devices are switched completely off over night or while charging, just habit more than anything. But the drop in battery level drop over night while off was pretty shocking. There’s no over heating associated with it that I would have expected. I've tried the 3 fingered reboot and an icon reboot or two, neither seemed to have helped. If I retro back my OS, how do I do that? Are there instructions on CrackBerry?

I've got to say that the sense of community and the help that freely comes from it is what makes CrackBerry a fantastic site. Thanks for all the advice!

Cheers
    Last edited by Jonesy1966; 02-16-13 at 08:24 AM.
    02-16-13 07:33 AM
    3 finger reboot. If that doesn't solve it you should try adjustment with the PlayBook and dock. Sometimes that dock gets finicky.
    yup three finger hard boot, and one finger salute. lol
    02-16-13 07:34 AM
    Lp
    I'm pretty old school when it comes to devices, I've been using one of one design or another since the early 80's so all my devices are switched completely off over night or while charging, just habit more than anything. But the drop in battery level drop over night while off was pretty shocking. Theres no over heating associated with it that I would have expected. I've tried the 3 fingered reboot and an icon reboot or two, neither seemed to have helped. If I retro back my OS, how do I do that? Are there instructions on CrackBerry?

I've got to say that the sense of community and the help that freely comes from it is what makes CrackBerry a fantastic site. Thanks for all the advice!

Cheers
    Actually don't believe the PB can be completely switched off during charging since it has to be awake enough to control the charging process. If you have charged it to 100% then removed it from the charger and then turned it off and then it loses a large amount of the charge you do have a strange perhaps hardware problem. Suggest calling support.
    Last edited by jpash549; 02-16-13 at 06:31 PM.
    02-16-13 05:53 PM